twenty-seven
january 3
saffron, kanto
homosexual
team silph
officer
30 height
30 height
did i close my fist around something delicate?
awards
174 posts
zeke rainey DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zeke
zeke rainey
goodbye/hello
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2018 1:42:09 GMT
zeke rainey Avatar
another glass covered in condensation cradles in the sieve of his hand. the droplets cling to it until gravity forces them down the side to pool on the weathered bar top, and he curses underneath his breath. 

shit.

zeke swore he'd never be here again, in this weird bar with the strange decor and the uncomfortable memories. it remains unchanged, its wooden theme surviving a time that much of zeke's identity has not survived. the last time he was here, he was a police officer. he was a man on a mission. he was a romantic.

his calloused fingers raise the glass to his parted lips and his eyes stare down the crook of his nose into the bottom of the glass until no liquid remains. 

the last time he was here, the drink didn't go down smoothly. he suspects that this evening will be nothing like the last one spent here as he flags down the bartender for a refill on the cheap beer they'd originally supplied him. not even the beer was the same.

it is quieter here tonight than it was over a month ago. less ruckus -- probably only regulars, or those that have been displaced from slateport that don't know of better bars yet here in mauville. 

is that how long its been? a month since he'd spoken to scott? a month since the world turned on its axis and flashed him a big 'fuck you' full of cursed nightmares and murderous rocket infiltrations?

with his glass refilled, he hastily brings it to his mouth for another sip before turning to the person who has taken the liberty to sit beside him, nothing but a pensive stare on his face as he looks beyond them.

"do you know who the gym leader is around here these days?"

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
goodbye/hello
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2018 1:54:53 GMT
Deleted Avatar

why in the world francie was even in mauville was beyond her. yes, the malls were big and very enticing. but did she have the money to spend? technically um hell no. however, she did have a credit card and she was a smart spender. she'd pay it back, sure! of course! oh dear.

the thought of spending even more money on drinks didn't seem like such a bad idea about three drinks in. as a matter of fact, she felt pretty good about her purchases. she'd already forwarded them home on a mail service that the stores offered via flying pokémon. honestly, so genius.

the third drink was empty and she was debating on a fourth. she wasn't tipsy, but she wasn't not tipsy either. she'd definitely need to stay the night at the pokémon center before heading home the next day. or maybe she'd just take the bus. not like any of her pokémon could fly anyway. don't drink and fly, so they say.

needless to say, her thoughts of girlie fruity mixed drinks were interrupted by the ever solemn and serious tone of the man next to her. she slowly turned toward him and then she jumped and did a double take. oh! he was talking to her! right, oops.

"um." her thoughts ran over gym leader of the area. "well it's not me, i'm from petalburg." that made perfect sense. her light and gentle tone probably made that sound like it was supposed to make sense.

"didn't the last one get killed by rocket, or flee the country? something like that. had a cute raichu." she remembered the adorable advertisements with the blonde.

close tab

played by

yuko

he/him
twenty-seven
january 3
saffron, kanto
homosexual
team silph
officer
30 height
30 height
awards
174 posts
zeke rainey DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zeke
zeke rainey
goodbye/hello
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2018 2:10:21 GMT
zeke rainey Avatar
he's almost surprised the girl beside him gives him the time of day. a sweet voice comes in response, its saccharine tone giving him an unsatisfying answer that still manages to satiate zeke. he lets a second of silence hang between them before nodding slowly, every intention of turning away. his head does not move, held hostage by the following words from the girl.

they grit against his skin like a volatile chemical -- one spark and he will burst into flames.

another sip. "...oh, i didn't know that. thanks." again, he sips. sips, sips, sips.

the glass is empty once again, a trace of beer running down the corner of his mouth. the calloused hand comes up for a graceless clean up before he orders another beer. "what are you drinking? put hers on my tab."

"...so you're the petalburg gym leader, or you're just from petalburg?" her lack of clarity rags on his mind enough to push the conversation further as his monotone voice clangs against the walls.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
goodbye/hello
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2018 2:16:48 GMT
Deleted Avatar

awe, she sparked a conversation with him! well, wasn't that fun! not to mention, another drink! how swell, how sweet.

"thanks," she told the kind - yet depressed? he seemed depressed- stranger. next, she thanked the bartender just as the stranger had asked for clarification on the petalburg bit she'd blurted out a second ago.

"i'm the gym leader, yeah. just recently took it over." she admitted before taking a drink of hers. she set the mixed drink down, satisfied that it was tasty as the last three.

"i came into mauville to just sort of, look around. shop. you know, girl um, stuff." she progressively, through her sentence, decided she was speaking too much and mumbled the last half of her statement. her eyes traveled away from the dark hair she'd been staring at while she spoke. she'd had every intention of looking away from him but his eyes caught her.

what pain they held. like he was lost and hated it, or maybe like he wasn't sure, and hated that. still, it almost made her frown.

close tab

played by

yuko

he/him
twenty-seven
january 3
saffron, kanto
homosexual
team silph
officer
30 height
30 height
awards
174 posts
zeke rainey DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zeke
zeke rainey
goodbye/hello
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2018 2:34:17 GMT
zeke rainey Avatar
he nods his "you're welcome", lips curling in the corners when she discloses her identity as gym leader. momentarily, he wonders if he comes here enough times he'll meet all the gym leaders, given the track record. "well, congrats on that." the reply is curt but the words have less of an edge than any preceding ones had -- perhaps the alcohol from before is warming him up to the conversation.

their drinks are delivered and the bill goes on his tab, something that hardly concerns him these days with his new job at silph. pays him well enough to drink at a bar with more lux than this shithole.

he sips again, ears tuned in the the words that seem to carelessly tumble out of the girl's mouth. his otherwise unexpressive eyebrows clench together in confusion over the rim of the glass. girl stuff?

"do they not sell tampons in petalburg...?" the tone portrays genuine confusion, but there is humor somewhere in there. he lets the stupid question hang in the balance between them for an instant before allowing his lips to curl upward further, as if to say "this is a joke, i am not that stupid."

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
goodbye/hello
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2018 2:50:24 GMT
Deleted Avatar

that question had her staring blankly at him for a few seconds. what did he mean about the tampons? he knew tampons were sold everywhere, right? didn't he? oh god, would she have to--

and then there it was, the smile that said she was an idiot for getting so worked up on the idea that he was an idiot. yay.

cue her embarrassed and nervous chuckle of a laugh before turning toward her drink. she wasn't entirely sure what to do but laugh in a way that said she was laughing at herself more than his joke.

"no i mean like, shopping for clothes, and cute things. like, bows for my only girl pokemon," her eevee she planned on turning into an espeon diva, jill. "and you know, toys for the rockruffs, they need their fun too." or something, god, she was so embarrassed she was rambling.

"ahaaaaa an-y-way," whatever the fuck that just was. "um, do you live in mauville?" expert social anxiety tactic; turn the conversation around when you embarrass the shit out of yourself.

close tab

played by

yuko

he/him
twenty-seven
january 3
saffron, kanto
homosexual
team silph
officer
30 height
30 height
awards
174 posts
zeke rainey DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zeke
zeke rainey
goodbye/hello
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2018 3:00:46 GMT
zeke rainey Avatar
though the grin does not falter throughout her rambles, zeke allows her to struggle to the end of the rant. his eyes match hers casually before leaping away, landing on the profile of a handsome man across the bar. looking at her any longer would have made him laugh from secondhand embarrassment -- the good kind.

"oh, i see. neat pokemon." he manages little else in response to the eevees and the rockruffs, eyes lingering on the guy's dark hair and carefully trimmed beard a moment longer than anticipated. the conversation is casual enough for him to keep his eye on the lookout, but he returns his attention to the girl. "oh, i used to live here. i was just passing through, and i've been to this bar once before. so i figured i'd stop in." memories flash in his mind -- the bathroom, druggie lighting, the rapidash painting, scott puking.

he almost scowls.

he's gone to lilycove with the relocation of silph co., the new lease signed just last week before zeke departed for mauville with every intention of snooping around slateport. "i live in lilycove now. how's the drink, by the way?" he sips his own, more slowly this time. the same shitty beer. he gives her no time to respond.

"and what's your name?" a smirk tugs at his expression, his mind curious as to just how the rambling girl will manage to answer two question without reciting her verbal autobiography for all the patrons of this dusty little hole in the wall.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
goodbye/hello
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2018 3:10:35 GMT
Deleted Avatar

they were neat pokémon! cute, and neat, and adorable, and neat... or something, god, she needed to chill the fuck out with this drink. how was it half gone already?!

"mm, francie." it sounded a bit too much like 'fancy' when she slurred, which had her letting out a small laugh with her full name. "fancie myrtle," her eyes pulled away from her drink and over to him again. he was easy to look at... too easy. felt like a trap. the good kind.

"and ugh, the drink." francie's eyes rolled as she huffed and leaned her chin in her hand, blonde hair lazily falling this way and that over her shoulder. "you know. it's disappearing. but i'm barely remembering it." she poked one of her eyeballs close to the rim before looking to him quickly with a side eye and then winking.

wow! brave! back to leaning away from the drink. she pushed it with the tips of her fingers and narrowed her eyes in a glare. yeeeep, too much.

close tab

played by

yuko

he/him
twenty-seven
january 3
saffron, kanto
homosexual
team silph
officer
30 height
30 height
awards
174 posts
zeke rainey DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zeke
zeke rainey
goodbye/hello
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2018 3:54:23 GMT
zeke rainey Avatar
mild amusement that had resided beneath the surface transforms quickly. a full smile bursts the seems of the pursed, repressed smirk, head shaking slowly. "fancie myrtle?" he doesn't believe it, which may be offensive, considering he isn't entirely sure what the correct answer is. "francie?" its nothing more than an educated guess, but zeke does not get the opportunity to press the subject any further.

the smile fades as francie curls over her drink, clearly drunk from half a drink. his eyes shoot to the ever-attentive bartender. dipshit, is this straight vodka or what?" the insult flies off the cuff but is otherwise harmless, a hand stretching out in an attempt to take the glass from his new acquaintance he'd just met and somehow gotten tipsy enough to slur words.

"mind if i taste it?" zeke reaches for the glass protectively with the hopes that she'll give it up easily.

she doesn't, though. she hovers over it instead, an ursaring with its honey. zeke sits back, bemused but somewhat exasperated with the potential issue he's created for himself. the wink does not go unnoticed -- it never goes unnoticed. "you're barking up the wrong tree, fancie myrtle."

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
goodbye/hello
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2018 4:15:52 GMT
Deleted Avatar

that meant he was gay, didn't it? the fact that her wink meant she was barking up the wrong tree?

"it wouldn't be the first time." she had terrible taste in men. and obviously, in drink choice.

"here," she pushed the drink toward him and let out a small sigh. "probably better i stop anyway. i can't even say my own name." her laughter bubbled out of her, and not in a drunk way. it was her typical laugh, her light and bubbled laughter that usually made others smile.

then she turned her eyes to him and let a smile form. "so, is there a lucky guy? or is that why you're here drinking?" welcome to the drunk brutally honest question hour with francie myrtle.

close tab

played by

yuko

he/him
twenty-seven
january 3
saffron, kanto
homosexual
team silph
officer
30 height
30 height
awards
174 posts
zeke rainey DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zeke
zeke rainey
goodbye/hello
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2018 15:22:51 GMT
zeke rainey Avatar
zeke manages to laugh, nodding his head slowly in response. "that means i'm gay, yes." he's spoken the line so many times before that it doesn't makes his heart skip a beat any longer. as she pushes the drink out from under her, he can tell she's perhaps come out of some odd, temporary daze. his own hand brushes against hers as he confiscates it and pushes it back toward the bartender.

"maybe we can get you another drink if you're good." the teasing smirk comes more and more easily as he loosens up, sipping the stout once again. "i'm zeke, since you asked." another sip.

the mention of a special someone stings him and transports him back a few months. he thinks about the bathroom of this place more often than probably anybody else does. he thinks about @scott probably more than anybody else does, too. the disappearing act is not unheard of, but certainly feels out of character for one of his oldest friends. they were on good terms the last time they spoke, right?

zeke nearly forgets to answer. "uhhhh no, no." casually and naturally his eyes glance to the guy he was looking at before, still planted in the same spot. he looks back to francie and takes another sip. "you?"

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
goodbye/hello
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2018 15:40:55 GMT
Deleted Avatar

admittedly francie probably should have waited at least half a second before blowing raspberries at the notion that she had a special somebody.

"no, no. not me. i've been traveling around so long i don't think i've given the idea of me having a special someone a second thought. or third." well, in the sense that people she knew and were friends with would want her as a special somebody.

too bubbly.

too carefree.

too whimsical.

was that why she settled into the gym? no, it was to help, but that was certainly a plus. she did need to be grounded or she never would have stopped traveling. but this wasn't like she was bound, this was like she had a better purpose. she wasn't aimlessly wandering anymore. but still, the thoughts of past reasons on why she shouldn't have been with somebody floated around in her mind.

"i'm sorry about not asking for your name formally, zeke." she apologized, feeling a little less of the alcohol in her system. though her cheeks did feel warm. speaking of cheeks, zeke's face was looking to somebody and she found herself widening her eyes curiously and tilting her head to look. once spotted, she couldn't help how she smiled, then leaned back to where she had been before peeking.

"he's cute." her face wasn't, more like one of those girls on the internet that troll around looking for yaoi. it quickly faded though. "you going to talk to him?"

close tab

played by

yuko

he/him
twenty-seven
january 3
saffron, kanto
homosexual
team silph
officer
30 height
30 height
awards
174 posts
zeke rainey DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zeke
zeke rainey
goodbye/hello
POSTED ON Dec 7, 2018 15:52:03 GMT
zeke rainey Avatar
he feels her walls penetrate with the idea of a special someone, looking at her with that pensive look that always seems to make its way across his face. "you're a gym leader now. less traveling, right?" whether or not she is telling him the whole truth cannot be known, though the ex-cop suspects she withholds insecurities. he does not press.

she seems taken aback, apologetic and formal for his comment. "i was kidding, don't worry about it." he sips again, eyes slipping back to the guy across the way for just a moment.

her words bring him back to earth in an instant, pulling his stare off the guy and onto her. francie has a silly grin on her face that says 'busted.' his cheeks threaten to flush but somehow hold off, a wry grin slipping onto his visage in place of the flushing. "he is, but no...not officially looking. too much going on, you know?" his mind flashes to the child that flew off with the captured league officials in slateport, feet remembering the concrete sensation of the league HQ roof. then he thinks of the slateport vision regirock imparted on him, the one he refused to speak up about. the one that might have saved slateport. 

he's an eternal fuck up.

silph needs his full attention if they're going to turn things around. "trying to impress my boss these days." another sip.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
goodbye/hello
POSTED ON Dec 9, 2018 1:26:21 GMT
Deleted Avatar

francie can see something in zeke's eyes, but she can't really pin it. usually, she's very good at that sort of thing, but she can't really get a grip on it. she doesn't bother trying, the alcohol impairing any sort of judgment and instead of leading to her looking away from zeke in fear that she might have been staring.

"bosses... hm." she hadn't even thought that she had some, but she definitely did. "i can understand that. working as a gym leader you've got the upper council to impress and worry about, not to mention other gym leaders you should probably connect with for the sake of tightening the group- you know? if you're not on the same page, how can you save a region?"

her words died off and suddenly she realized she'd been rambling and giving some sort of ... speech? a laugh left her and she covered her mouth quickly like the laugh-vomit had caught her off guard-- it definitely did.

"whoa, sorry, um, anyway. yeah impressing a boss can be scary." or something, she was trying to recover or steer the conversation a different direction. "but, uh, i understand having to unwind." was that her trying to tell him he should go talk to the guy? probably, but again, she was trying to reroute from her speech.

close tab

played by

yuko

he/him
twenty-seven
january 3
saffron, kanto
homosexual
team silph
officer
30 height
30 height
awards
174 posts
zeke rainey DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zeke
zeke rainey
goodbye/hello
POSTED ON Dec 11, 2018 23:45:45 GMT
zeke rainey Avatar
his eyes bounce between hers as she speaks, her own gaze off somewhere else. wherever it is landing, it isn't on him, it isn't here in this bar. it's something more. he recognizes the look from somewhere, but cannot place it. his eyes drop down to the glass that is nearly empty in front of him and shifts in his stool.

he sips again, head nodding as she comes out of her trance with embarrassment. "fancie myrtle, you might be onto something." the league is in tatters, communication is down to what feels like nothing. there have been significantly less broadcasts with the commissioner gone, and it sounds like talk between gym leaders is scant.

"hopefully my boss can fix that." he leaves no time for a response, his eyes falling to the glass. he picks it up, finishes it, and slams it down on the bar top beside the white napkin it soaked a ring of water into. a hand fidgets in his pocket and produces a pen, leaving a phone number on the napkin. "i feel like you should have this. it's mine. not sure what for yet, but, here." he slides the napkin over to her before getting up, eyes on the man across the bar.

"i'm going to go make bad decisions." it's all zeke ever does, after all.