awards
2,600 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
heal [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2019 4:01:43 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
[attr="class","freypost"]her mouth is dry. she stands atop the newly formed crow's nest at the top of the dragon's den. freya had ordered its construction quickly following the coronation of sootopolis' newest queen. local geologists helped them find the safest passage up, up the dragon's den, taking care not to hack away at the supports of the cave, lest her father's empire, and all the dragons inside, fall prey to a cave-in. 

there's still loose rubble at the top; it's the expanse of half a battlefield, large enough for a couple dragons to settle comfortably. though she stands alone. 

she's spoken very little since mossdeep, has blatantly refused to speak on the matter. weakness wracks her body. she hasn't been able to choke down food in a couple of days now. 

she raises a bottle of water to her lips. 

moxie isn't nestled comfortingly against her collarbone either. the ekans, mostly recovered now, sleeps begrudgingly in her ball. she sets the bottle down at a stone side table beside her, sits wearily. the wicker is worn from the years; she'd hauled it up from the morningstar cottage across town with the help of fafnir. 

it's close to the edge, facing the city. she looks down at the ruins of the sootopolis gym, at the rest of her people as they mill about the town. fingers splay against her cheek. 

✦ ✦ ✦

'i hope you forgive me for not making proper introductions sooner, and under such a grievous situation, but i thank you for coming, champion stone. freya speaks highly of you. well, has spoken. we can't get her to talk and, well, with the way things stand in sootopolis....we're running out of options.' sophia morningstar's voice is gentle, warm. weathered lines soften her face, but her proud nose, the cold gray of her eyes, hard as flint, abate any notions that she's soft

[newclass=.freypost]font:10px calibri;[/newclass]
[newclass=.freypost i]color:#c5c2b3;[/newclass]
[newclass=.freypost b]color:#c5c2b3;font:bold 11px calibri;line-height:12px;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
heal [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2019 9:45:32 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
he did not expect to return to sootopolis this soon nor does he particularly want to, but circumstances have forced his hand. while he had joined the likes of councilman in combating the alien in the forest, there was another fight that ravaged the city of mossdeep. though the reports have been unclear, what is certain is the casualties that stemmed from the invasion.

she is thankfully not one of them.

"has she eaten?" is the first and only question he will ask sophia. people handle tragedies differently; he's not too sure how freya deals with hers.

being mindful of the situation, he is led up to the newly constructed crow's nest atop the dragon's den. there is a door that leads out but he makes no notion to knock, deciding it best to just walk through. he nods his gratitude to sophia before merging out into the open air.

his footsteps are the only thing that disturb the tranquility present. he says nothing, at least not until he's close enough. he stands behind her at a respectable distance, still mindful of his presence.

"it will be rebuilt," he says, taking a step closer to the edge. "not as a gym but as a monument. to honor the fallen." 

sootopolis might have a new leader but it will not forget the past. it will not forget the sacrifices made.

"mossdeep will be rebuilt and its people will heal. as will you, freya." only then does he step next to her, eyes full with empathy.

"i am sorry."

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
i got new love, new skin to wrap myself in
awards
2,600 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
heal [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2019 16:20:35 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
[attr="class","freypost"]footsteps echo up the spiraling staircase to freya's hideout. she hears her mother say, 'no. no, we don't believe she has.' worry knits in her voice and more guilt pulls uselessly at the numbness encasing her. 

she doesn't look behind her to see who has entered. she has her suspicions, though in her mind she envisions a woman with dark hair, dark eyes, and her heart hurts. i need you. where are you?

she snorts. at least she can still find humor in some things. "to honor her own name, you mean. you give her too much credit." were she thinking clearly, she would have taken it upon herself to order construction of a monument, a statue, an inscription, something to show the people that they remember, that they're not alone. 

she shrinks deeper in her chair and grits her teeth. "i'm not the one who..." something gets caught in her throat and she swallows, motions to the chair beside her. 

"i read reports," she starts, "that there were other beasts like them. were you...?"

[newclass=.freypost b]color:#c5c2b3;font:bold 11px calibri;line-height:12px;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
heal [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2019 16:36:07 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
a soft chuckle escapes him as does a shake of his head. "and you give her too little." he peers out at the ruins of the gym. "she might just surprise us. call me an optimist." 

she motions to the chair and he follows. his gaze falls on her for moments until she redirects the conversation on to him. he finds comfort peering out at the vast walls of the city that encompasses, keeping it safe from harm. or at least it should.

"i encountered one in the forest. kim was there. we tried our best but..." he pauses, lets his gaze fall to the ground. "not everyone survived." 

it's only then does he realize his hands twitch at the memory of it. to be that close to something not of this world, to something that defies belief is an experience he will never forget. 

"how is he?" 

he steels himself to look at her. the corner of his mouth twitches slightly as he swallows, clearing his throat. what he says next is only said because he knows it's exactly how he would feel now if their roles were swapped.

"there was nothing we could have done."

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,600 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
heal [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2019 16:44:54 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
[attr="class","freypost"]"for the city's sake, i hope you're right." construction continues on the ruins of the gym. olivia is tenacious, she'll give her that. her people have worked tirelessly to restore the ruins to their former glory. 

she looks at him out of the corner of her eye, watching as he speaks. she's not the only one that's been suffering from the fallout. flashes of what happened keep her up at night; she relives the dizzying moment of falling, sypha unconscious beside her, lyune made cripple beneath her. she relives it, over and over and over again. 

"we were nothing more than gnats to it," she whispers. 

she stiffens at his question, at his gentle words of comfort. "he'll never fly again," she says flatly. "my father grieves. he was his mount before myself. did you know that? sypha has memory loss. and moxie..." she tilts her head, shadows her eyes with her slender fingers. "i could have done more. i'm meant to look out for them, to protect them."

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
heal [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2019 16:53:41 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
"and i am meant to protect the region." 

it's as he said: there was nothing they could have done. no preparations could have been made, no counters for aliens they've never seen before. his jaw clenches at the thought of it, eyes fleeing once again to seek refuge elsewhere.

her words do little to calm the sea of guilt within him. "i did not." compared to her, he's lost very little, he realizes this now. he allows a moment of silence to pass over them before speaking again.

"we all have our limitations. we were not prepared for them and there is no guarantee that we ever will be, but at the very least we need to try."

but mourning comes first.

his fingers intertwine with each other, fidgeting as he speaks. "can i see him?"

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,600 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
heal [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2019 17:18:32 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
[attr="class","freypost"]to reconcile with the fact that her dragons are not invincible, that they're not strong, is what has caused her to crumble. she'd thought her place at the top of the food chain, had somehow gotten it in her head that she'd be able to take rocket down herself. 

she peers at alexander through the gaps in her fingers and then sighs. "don't you dare give me hope, stone." but she stands regardless and drops the only two pokeballs fitted in her circlet at her feet. calcifer emerges from one, fafnir the other. she mounts the charizard and then nods towards the dragonite, who then bares his back to alex. 

"i know you may have your own, but fafnir knows how to navigate the caverns." 

calcifer's clawtips graze the ground as he leans down the spiral staircase. wings flare and he drops, sailing down past the new construction and sideways into a tunnel in the side of the wall. his tail burns brighter, lighting the way for their companions. 

the tunnel opens up to a small cavern. caves of varying sizes line the walls. the sounds that emanate from this area are pained growls, restless shifting. a few doctors tend to the wounded, nodding respectfully when they see freya dismount. 

his is a secluded one, larger than most of them to accommodate his size. he raises his head as she approaches, teeth bared and growl of warning as a greeting. she continues to walk forward, moving slightly to the left so that she can get in view of his good eye. he flicks his tongue out and then raises his head, cocks it to the side. 

she reaches up and touches the crest of his nose. he inhales and rumbles a warm purr. she chokes back tears. 

"we gotta see it, bud." he shrinks back, tail lashing nervously, and he whines lowly, looking past her at alexander. she shushes him. "he saved me, saved us. you can trust him. i do." 

at this, he turns and exposes his back. 

the scales around the wound had been scraped clean off; red skin, thicker than rope, is puckered and gnarled at the base of his wing, of which was sewn back on as carefully as possible. still, it's clear the damage has been done. silver rods extend under the base of his wings, pulling it taut. 

"the muscle was severed. he has no control over the wing. the rods keep it folded against his body so he doesn't trip over it."

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
heal [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2019 17:36:57 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
he hesitates for a moment at the sight of the dragonite, briefly reminded of what could have been if he had been more careful, but the thought dismisses itself when he mounts it. they take him through a tunnel in the side of the wall and into a small cavern; one which he had no idea existed before now. his eyes look around with intrigue, taking in as much as he can.

the sight of the wounded is what catches him off guard. he's not sure why it does; it's not an unfamiliar sight. but perhaps being so secluded and private is what does it. he nods his respects to them as he passes.

the area opens up into a wider one, fit for a large creature and that is exactly what he's greeted by. he keeps a considerable distance away, mindful of the salamence because he knows their temperaments. he's had to deal with it himself at times.

he is almost mesmerized by how easy freya makes it look; to calm a dragon, to gain its trust is no easy feat and yet she stands there like she was born for it. truth be told, she might have been.

his heart sinks when salamence exposes its back. he steps forward, to the side, until he has a better angle of it so he can properly assess the damage. his eyes narrow at the gruesome sight; this is not one he has seen before and yet there is a calm that lulls over him. he circles the dragon, analyzing, understanding.

not a single word escapes him, not since they left crow's nest. he's too wrapped up in his own thoughts to spare a word, but it might be for the best. what freya sees is something not many have the chance to. he's lost in his own thoughts, peering at the damage from different angles until he fully understands it. he speaks only when he's confident he does, never before.

rising back up, he looks across at freya as he stands by salamence's damaged side. he gently places a hand on it, careful not to touch the injured portions. he feels the warmth emanating through its scales, feels its hushed breathing from how its body expands and collapses. dragons are not normally this vulnerable but he's seen them at their worst.

"i can help him fly again."

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,600 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
heal [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2019 19:22:51 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
[attr="class","freypost"]she can still remember the way it felt climbing on his back that first time. her father's hands around her waist, strong and steady, promising her that lyune would take care of her. trust him, as he's trusted him all these years. and the salamence had been kind, despite his wartorn body, scarred eye, teeth like daggers and a rumble in his throat. 

he shared his first flight with her father a lifetime ago, and he gave her hers in turn. and it pains her so, so much to stand there and look at him, look at what she'd done.

he'd been banking away, wheeling them towards safety, and she had urged him on. and he'd trusted her. and she had failed him. 

she can barely stand it. he looks at her with a kindness she does not deserve. she turns, moves towards the mouth of the cave, leans against the cold walls as alexander assesses the damage. to what end? 

'i can help him fly again.'

her legs give way beneath her. nausea overtakes her and she holds a hand to her mouth, breathing hard. hope is a powerful force that threatens to pull her under, but she harnesses it, sucks in a breath, releases. 

"i would give anything," she says, voice hoarse, "and yet i've already promised you my loyalty, my bow, my protection. what else is left?"

lyune flares his uninjured wing and stomps; claws grate against the rock and he digs rivets into the cave floor. he leans into alexander's touch and then backs away, limping towards freya. he settles down beside her, tucking his legs beneath him, tail curling towards his body. 

she bows her head. "anything."

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
heal [c]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2019 5:47:39 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
alexander observes the loyalty, the mutual respect, the kindness they share for each other. he clenches his jaw and lets his eyes falter to the ground. he exhales, surprised that he had been holding his breath. he meets her gaze once more.

"a divide will happen within the league. i believe it is inevitable. the council, the elites, the gym leaders, the commissioner, the champion; we swore to stand united as one to protect the region. but you were at the coronation. you saw what agendas and opinions do to unity." 

he stops, pauses, and approaches her.

"i need you on my side when it happens. i need to be able to trust you completely, to know that you will have my back even if your own agendas or opinions change." 

he stands across from her, never yielding.

"swear it." 

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,600 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
heal [c]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2019 15:46:05 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
[attr="class","freypost"]to pledge herself to a man who holds the same values as she is easy. to ally herself with a future she can't see goes against everything she believes. she is headstrong and brash and impulsive and hot-headed, but she is good. she wants to protect the people, protect the pokemon of the region. she wants to save them. 

and in doing so, she must trust them. alexander is part of hoenn. born, raised, made stronger by the people. this, she tells herself. this, she repeats in her head, as she utters the words, "i swear it."

lyune's tail twitches. she tilts her head to the side. he is grateful, but he is also scared. she is bound to alexander now. a lesser person could make a promise on a whim, but all three present know that's not who she is. 

she gathers herself to her feet, keeps a hand running the length of lyune's body as she walks back to alexander. hand drops, fingers curl. and then she swallows, steps forward and throws her arms around his shoulders in a sudden hug. her breath hitches as her eyes water, as she shows him trust, as she shows him how grateful she is.

"thank you," she whispers. 

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
heal [c]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2019 16:15:17 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
trust goes both ways. he hears the words and he feels pressure relieving off his shoulders. his hands are no longer tense as he exhales for he now has what he wants: an ally who has sworn undying fidelity. bound only by words, he knows it to be stronger than death. and he knows her to uphold her promises.

lyune's tail twitches. alexander's eyes drift over to what remains of the wing and he is reminded of life and how fleeting it can be. salamence should be dead and perhaps the only thing separating it from death is its trainer. he can see the strength and pride lyune continues to uphold despite the situation.

dragons are proud creatures.

he's pulled in for a sudden hug which he does not expect and so he's stunned for a moment, but his own arms soon fall around her to return the embrace. she whispers words that require no response and yet he gives it in the form of a nod. he stands there, battling the storms within him until she finally pulls away.

"give me two weeks and i will have the first prototypes ready for him. he is around the same size as mine, so he can stay here until he recovers." 

another hint into his true extent with dragons. he brushes past it as the conversation naturally progresses.

"until then, please take care of yourself. your oath means nothing if you are are dead. when was the last time you ate?" 

the latter is said more in jest as evident by his tone. he breaks into a slight smile.

"i have yet to experience the sootopolis cuisine."

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,600 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
heal [c]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2019 17:20:28 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
[attr="class","freypost"]one day, when they are closer by proxy of experiences rather than necessity, she will ask him about his past. but for now she leaves him with the thoughts of those he's lost, knowing full well the air is thick with too much sadness already. 

but still there is hope among it. if he lets her down, she will hate him for it, and she will find herself released from his promise. 

she yearns to ask more questions, to ask about the process, the work that must be done, what these coming months will look like for lyune. and yet she stays quiet, fearing that this promise is too fragile. 

so she nods, looks away sheepishly, shamefully. "i hope you like fish. we'll go to graceland's. best food in town." 

she gives him space, reaffirms their air of professionalism. lyune has leaned his weight to his uninjured side, head resting on his paws. his eyes are half-closed. she can still see the pain in them, the weariness as his body tries to repair what it can. she touches her knuckles to his forehead, breathes a soft kiss into his snout, and then beckons for alexander to follow her out. 

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
heal [c]
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2019 2:18:06 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
"stay still."

for her to uphold her end he must uphold his. his eyes narrow, knees bending as his hands, rough and bruised, start tying the ends of the straps together, looping and intertwining before tugging them apart. he moves clockwise, swiveling on the balls of his feet around the dragon that lays before him. 

"do you trust me?" 

it's a rhetorical question because he knows the salamence trusts him with his life. alexander trusts him with his. his hands move with grace as he secured one strap, and another, and another, moving around the salamence in a clockwise motion. he double-checks, triple-checks because he needs to be certain. there's no room for error.

"remember not to use your right wing." 

in one fluid motion he mounts the dragon. his feet slide into the straps and his right one shifts up and down, testing the mechanism. it's like shifting gears almost. he rests a hand on salami's blue hide and gives him a gentle pat.

"come on, friend."

---

two weeks. he gives himself impossible deadlines because he knows that's what he needs to motivate himself. all the equipment has been shipped to sootopolis and is waiting to be moved to the dragon's den. he's there to oversee everything, to make sure things run without a problem.

"it is nice to see you, freya." 

light shines down through the cracks of the ceiling. he steps into dragon's den with a crate in tow, mindful of his presence as he approaches her. the smile on his face is present as it usually is.

"how have you been? eating, i hope." 

he knows the small talk will be brief but he does it anyways, perhaps anxious that his invention might not be what she wants. the metal crate remains behind him, looming.

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,600 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
heal [c]
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2019 3:09:54 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar
[attr="class","freypost"]she tends to her garden, heals. the slate of appointments for this upcoming week is wiped clean. her scratches, bones, bruises all mend, but her mind is still in a fragile state of affairs. water drips from the spout of her wailmer pail, slow, unrelenting. 

i thought that we might lose everything. but then i found faith in the league... words spoken through stiff lips, unseeing eyes trained on a faceless reporter across from her. she can still hear the scritch-scratching of her pen, how loud it seemed in that small room. 

are you afraid for the future?

deafening roars, a blinding light that should have obliterated her. lyune screaming, writhing in pain beneath her. 

yes, says her quivering lip. yes, i am afraid. we should all be afraid. 

lies fall through cold lips; words lack their vigor, sucked dry by exhaustion, seen plainly in the dark bruises under her eyes. courage. how could they find courage?

but she trusts alexander. and so she tips the pail, comes back to her senses, a shiver snaking down her spine. sypha and aeris are both curled protectively around her. sometimes the former dragonair forgets where she is. collateral damage. she meant nothing to it. 

the berries are almost ripe again. she reaches for them fondly, savors the moment she can bring them to emma with her arms full, smile on her face. i fight for her.

what a horrible realization that is. that in the face of utter annihilation, she cares nothing for the people of her nation. that she would watch the world burn to keep safe. it will be her promise to alexander that keeps the region safe, that binds her to her once upon a time ideals. 

fafnir is at her side, wings half-flared, waiting. 

x x x

she is in his cave, cradling his head, forehead pressed to his, when alexander is escorted their way. the trainer who'd brought him leaves immediately, as per freya's request prior to the champion's arrival. she stands a moment longer with lyune, humming sweetly to him, before she disengages and turns. 

she looks just as tired as she did then, but there is color in her cheeks, a hopefulness in her eyes. she leans to her side, looking behind him, ready. 

"i'll be better when i know you've managed to uphold your promise."