awards
518 posts
part of
TAG WITH @dominic
dominic sinclair
gaze into the glass
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2019 16:20:32 GMT
dominic sinclair Avatar
lights pulse with mauville's heartbeat, bustling crowds flow through its veins. the southern causeway stretches into the horizon, lamps flickering alight as the sun sets.

he's at a bar because extended sobriety is unpleasant, but the ice has long since melted into his untouched drink.

instead, dominic watches with a hungry, contemplative interest, sitting entirely still aside from the smoke curling from his parted lips. he's made a career of bringing cities to yield under his heel, and yet this one dares flourish directly outside rocket's slateport base.

dominic takes a long drag and pointedly turns away from the window, unintentionally glaring into the crowd, when someone familiar catches his eye.

@kingsley

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
gaze into the glass
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2019 17:28:45 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","igglybuff"]
[attr="class","igglybuff-wrapper"] Body tilted back, chair balanced precariously on two legs, Kingsley looks like something torn from a magazine and glued to a different picture. There are three others at the table: one leans forward, shoulders hunched, and the other two sit straight with their chins tilted up.

The game is boring because Kingsley is winning and he has never quite known what to do with a victory other than move onto the next. They are running out of money and Kingsley is running out of interest, but the last few coins keep him seated. If he is going to win, he wants it to hurt.

Someone plays a card. Kingsley glances at it, at his own hand, then back around the bar for a brief moment when he's certain none of the other players are watching him. For a split second, he meets someone's gaze. It lasts just long enough for his chair to tip forward and land on its front legs.

"I fold," he says and he spares them only a brief smile before collecting his earnings. The hunch shouldered man begins to stand but by the time he is on his feet, Kingsley is gone.

He slips into the space between Dominic's seat and an empty one. Empty, he thinks, because Dominic has the sort of face that warns people to stay away. Kingsley leans back against it, bracing his hands on the cushion.

"Hey sweet thing," he says, lips pulled back into a lazy grin, "you got a name or can I call you mine?"

[newclass=.igglybuff] width: 350px; padding: 20px; border: 1px solid #272727; background-color: #2e2e2e; background-image:url(https://i.postimg.cc/3rt55nFV/always-grey.png); margin: 0 auto; [/newclass]
[newclass=.igglybuff b] color: #716075; [/newclass]
[newclass=.igglybuff-wrapper] background:#343434; padding: 30px; font-color: #888; text-align: justify; font-size: 11px; border: 1px solid #272727;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

lyre

sinclair
he / him
twenty-eight
january 4
saffron, kanto
heterosexual
underboss
executive
become as fire, eat the woods. eat the dark and show where i stood
awards
518 posts
part of
TAG WITH @dominic
dominic sinclair
gaze into the glass
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2019 18:10:40 GMT
dominic sinclair Avatar
recognition dawns on dominic slowly because he first mistakes it for wishful thinking. he raises his chin in greeting and watches kingsley close the distance between them.

when kingsley speaks, dominic squints at him for a long moment — a half-lidded appraising gaze — before taking another, deeper, drag of his cigarette. to his merit, dominic is at least courteous enough to incline his head sideways and not blow smoke in kingsley's face when he exhales with a scoff.

"i've got a few names," he answers honestly, much more nonchalantly than a wanted man perhaps should. dominic's mouth twists into a gash of a half-smile. "go ahead and pick one you like."

@kingsley

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
gaze into the glass
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2019 18:32:20 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","igglybuff-wrapper"] The smoke twists and fades into the air and for a moment, Kingsley watches it before his gaze lifts back to Dominic's own. He pretends to consider the statement. He folds a hand over his jaw and hums, head lolling side to side. His eyes glint, creasing at the corners. When his hand draws away, he's smiling. Kingsley aims his index at Dominic in the imitation of a gun.

"I've got it. How've you been - " he says, pausing for emphasis, "Nicky?"

He pushes himself into the seat and leans back, tips of his toes balanced on the floor.

[newclass=.igglybuff] width: 350px; padding: 20px; border: 1px solid #272727; background-color: #2e2e2e; background-image:url(https://i.postimg.cc/3rt55nFV/always-grey.png); margin: 0 auto; [/newclass]

[newclass=.igglybuff-wrapper] background:#343434; padding: 30px; font-color: #888; text-align: justify; font-size: 11px; border: 1px solid #272727;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

lyre

sinclair
he / him
twenty-eight
january 4
saffron, kanto
heterosexual
underboss
executive
awards
518 posts
part of
TAG WITH @dominic
dominic sinclair
gaze into the glass
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2019 18:51:00 GMT
dominic sinclair Avatar
he feels he made a mistake the second he sees mirth lighting up kingsley's features. dominic finds himself physically bracing, and it turns out he was right to do so.

nicky. fantastic. he hates it.

dominic sits in a paralysed silence, mouth open as though about to speak but unable to find the correct words.

after a moment he manages a choked chuckle and reaches over past kingsley to slide over an ashtray, the heavy glass almost screeching across the wood surface of the bar. he's probably a little rougher than needed when he tamps the cigarette down to put it out.

"oh, that's very cute," dominic mutters gruffly. a beat. his eyes narrow, but it's not unkind. "but i guess that's on brand. for you."

@kingsley

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
gaze into the glass
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2019 19:16:35 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","igglybuff-wrapper"] Kingsley's grin widens as he sees the look in Dominic's eyes and he knows, for a second, he's won - and this is the kind of victory he can indulge in. He folds an ankle over his thigh and rests a hand on it.

"Is that an indirect way of calling me cute?" he asks, fingers drumming at the hem of his pant leg. His foot fidgets in the air in a lazy attempt to match the beat of whatever song is playing. Kingsley's gaze flickers to the approaching bartender then back to Dominic.

close tab

played by

lyre

sinclair
he / him
twenty-eight
january 4
saffron, kanto
heterosexual
underboss
executive
awards
518 posts
part of
TAG WITH @dominic
dominic sinclair
gaze into the glass
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2019 20:05:14 GMT
dominic sinclair Avatar
dominic doesn't reply immediately. besides, the quirk of a brow and the way the corner of his mouth twitches in the ghost of a smile is answer enough.

"i remember you having your moments," he admits, though his tone is laced with a latent sarcasm.

dominic had scorned his drink earlier but he feels he could use one now, and coincidentally his eyes catch kingsley looking over to the bartender so he flutters his fingers to catch his attention.

"two of the same," he says briefly, gaze snapping back to kingsley. since he's here he may as well indulge him.

@kingsley

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
gaze into the glass
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2019 3:03:49 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","igglybuff-wrapper"] Kingsley fishes his wallet out of his pocket and thumbs through it and his new earned money. When the bartender returns with their drinks, he slides the bills across the counter then takes his glass. Curious, Kingsley sniffs it then swirls it around.

"Anything exciting going on in your life?" he asks before lifting the drink to his lips. He sets it back on the counter, face scrunching together. It burns the back of his mouth and down his throat and leaves a stinging taste on his tongue, one that won't wash away easily.

"Fuck, that's strong," he hisses.

close tab

played by

lyre

sinclair
he / him
twenty-eight
january 4
saffron, kanto
heterosexual
underboss
executive
awards
518 posts
part of
TAG WITH @dominic
dominic sinclair
gaze into the glass
POSTED ON Jun 24, 2019 10:51:09 GMT
dominic sinclair Avatar
it's as strong as it's shitty. it may have been years, but dominic's tastes have barely evolved since he was an unruly teenager drinking cheap beer and vodka behind the residential apartment blocks.

he exchanges his own cash for the glass and downs his drink in one fluid motion, turning his head in time to catch kingsley grimace. dominic has to bite the inside of his cheek to keep a smirk at bay though the smug satisfaction reaches his eyes anyway.

"work," dominic says, raising a shoulder in a half-hearted shrug. he swivels in his seat to face kingsley with a cheshire cat smile, his posture relaxed. "meeting old friends. and you?"

@kingsley

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
gaze into the glass
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2019 12:09:12 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","igglybuff-wrapper"] Kingsley swipes his thumb against his mouth as if that will somehow help rid the taste left behind. He eyes the drink with distaste. They both know he'll drink it anyway.

His gaze slides back to Dominic, flickers to the gleam of white teeth, then back to his eyes. Kingsley matches the smile (if it can be called that; Kingsley likens it more to a houndoom's grin) with a smaller one.

"Work," he answers, mimicking the roll of a shoulder, "meeting old friends."

He leans back, looking decidedly proud of himself. Kingsley grabs the glass and rests it against his thigh, eyes still locked on Dominic.

close tab

played by

lyre

sinclair
he / him
twenty-eight
january 4
saffron, kanto
heterosexual
underboss
executive
awards
518 posts
part of
TAG WITH @dominic
dominic sinclair
gaze into the glass
POSTED ON Jun 28, 2019 13:18:29 GMT
dominic sinclair Avatar
apparently wholly unamused, dominic rolls his eyes heavenward for a moment. it may be just a thin veneer of faux-irritation, but it's still the most animated he's been in weeks.

"is that so?" he says flatly, eyeing kingsley for a long moment before the razor-sharp smile begins to creep back to his lips.

"just friends? i thought we had something special?" dominic's regularly flat tone takes on a mocking lilt. he's sure kingley has heard that before.

dominic's fingers itch for another cigarette but he makes a conscious effort to still his hands, placing them expectantly on the bar.

@kingsley

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
gaze into the glass
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2019 15:40:47 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","igglybuff-wrapper"] Kingsley makes a sound, somewhere between a scoff and a laugh. He takes another drink, forcing his face to stay neutral as he sets it back down. Setting his elbow on the table, he cradles his jaw in his palm and looks at Dominic.

"Aww- we do! Really," Kingsley assures, waving a hand flippantly against the air. "You're my bestest best friend in the whole wide world. No one could replace your snarky ass in my heart."

He slaps the same hand over his chest and laughs before it drops down against his thigh. He smiles in a lopsided way that makes a dimple crease into his cheek.

close tab

played by

lyre

sinclair
he / him
twenty-eight
january 4
saffron, kanto
heterosexual
underboss
executive
awards
518 posts
part of
TAG WITH @dominic
dominic sinclair
gaze into the glass
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2019 17:24:42 GMT
dominic sinclair Avatar
dominic studies the initial display of enthusiasm through half-lidded eyes and with an over-exaggerated curiosity.

he cranes his neck, biting his lip in a bid to control the derisive peal of laughter that shakes his shoulders. it's in vain; he cracks the moment kingsley begins to laugh but cuts himself short by clearing his throat and straightening his back.

"i was going to ask if you're truly that much of a light-weight," dominic says, watching kingsley from the corner of his eye as he reaches for his first drink - the one diluted by melted ice - and takes a swig.

"careful, or i'll take you seriously."

@kingsley

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
gaze into the glass
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2019 12:17:47 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","igglybuff-wrapper"] There is a small delight in making Dominic laugh, in earning an expression that is more than passing apathy. Maybe delight is the wrong word. Perhaps it is more like satisfaction, in the way a persian might feel when it corners a rattata. It is some sort of small, meaningless victory.

Kingsley matches Dominic's movements, grabbing his own drink. The glass hovers at his lip. He lowers it just enough to talk and pin Dominic down with a look of faux offense.

"You don't take me seriously?" he asks. "How dare you. Am I a joke to you, Nicky? Is that it?"

close tab

played by

lyre

sinclair
he / him
twenty-eight
january 4
saffron, kanto
heterosexual
underboss
executive
awards
518 posts
part of
TAG WITH @dominic
dominic sinclair
gaze into the glass
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2019 14:50:45 GMT
dominic sinclair Avatar
dominic seems to hesitate for a moment, as if genuinely mulling over kingsley's words. after a long moment dominic leans toward him with a conspiratorial glint in his eyes, getting close enough so that he can speak while dropping his voice to a breathy murmur as if about to reveal something heavy and confidential.

"do you want an honest answer?" dominic says slowly, the corner of his lip curling in a smug smirk.

perhaps for the first time, his veneer of immutable sobriety cracks. "you are... my favourite court jester."

@kingsley