2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
adjustment period . [ private ]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2019 9:25:10 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
cait hadn't been taken by surprise when the news reached her that the formerly emptied seat of petalburg gym had been quickly and effectively filled, the council having wasted little to no time in ensuring the prestigious title was awarded to yet another qualified individual. 

'derek hoffman,' she thought.

she committed the name to memory and even invested a handful of hours toward light research. the young woman discovered through the act of skimming various resources that this man - this derek hoffman - originated from johto, his beginnings admittedly humble. 

"let's try our best to make him feel welcome," cait said, her words directed toward her companion.

the grass-type pokemon she held within her arms peered curiously up at the gym as they stepped closer, a curious look affixed upon their pointed snout as it wiggled. 

"
i hope he doesn't mind the lack of forewarning."

work had brought her to petalburg, and a gap within her schedule allowed for the woman to sate her curiosity. so she'd enter the establishment without ceremony, wondering in that moment if he was preoccupied by another.

@n0ble
close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2019 19:52:33 GMT
Deleted Avatar

[attr="class","merkI"]
[attr="class","merkpokesI"]

Who knew that being a gym leader meant doing so much paperwork?! No matter, Derek could get through this. He just needed to sit himself down and...

“Uhhh, can I help you?” The gym leader responded to the sound of his door being opened, wondering who or what it could have been. There weren't supposed to be any matches scheduled for today... Turning around from where he sat with his back to the door, the first thing he noticed was the peculiar pokemon in the girl's arms.

“Well that's new...” He couldn't tell what it was, staring at it for a brief moment before averting his gaze back to the girl. “Wait...are you...” Her face was familiar to an extent, something he'd seen during his several years in Hoenn. She was part of the pokemon league, he was sure of it. Derek just couldn't remember the name that went with the face, his eyes squinting as he tried so hard to recall. Alas, it didn't help. “I feel like I should know who you are, but... Could you just tell me?”

[attr="class","merktagI"]

[newclass=.merkI] width: 330px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 11px; text-align: justify; color: #a3a3a3; padding: 20px; line-height: 12pt; margin-top: -10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.merkI b] color: #DEA02C; font-size: 12px; [/newclass] [newclass=.merktagI] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.merktagI a] background: #2e2e2e; padding: 10px; border: 1px solid #252525; text-transform: uppercase!important; font-family: 'roboto'; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold; color: #aaa; letter-spacing: 1px!important; [/newclass] [newclass=.merkpokesI] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.merkpokesI img] padding: 0px 5px 5px 0px; background: #2e2e2e; border: solid 1px #252525; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
slithers of wistful window gazes glint in borrowed light
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2019 20:16:41 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
cait didn't appear to take offence to his bemusement nor his lack of recognition, the smile that she awarded the fresh faced gym leader more so amused than anything else. 

"alfric," she introduced. "
cait alfric. i'm mauville city's gym leader, mister hoffman."

her gaze shifted toward his collection of paperwork, the amount considerable. it reminded her of her early days of governing, the responsibilities heaped upon her from the get go proving difficult to manage.

'i'm glad i've gotten so use to it nowadays.'

"i see you're busy," she noted. "perhaps i should take my leave - i'd hate to interrupt.

@n0ble
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2019 20:29:28 GMT
Deleted Avatar

[attr="class","merkI"]

“No, no, not at all! This is just, er... This can wait!” Trying not to come off as rude, Derek's eyes grew wide when he realized she was another gym leader, just like him! “It's nice to to meet you, Cait. Please, do stay a while! There's a seat over...” Looking around, Derek panicked when he realized his was the only chair. “You can use mine, here! The gym leader stood, holding it out towards her so that she may take it if she preferred. After all, for all Derek knew she had walked here.

Even so... After the realization that he was starting to lose face, Derek swallowed the nervous lump forming in his throat before speaking further. “Is there anything in particular that brings you to me? Do you need help with anything?” Trying to be as generous as possible, he only realized after the fact that an established gym leader like herself probably didn't need the help of a novice. “There's no matches or meetings schedule for today, so please, feel free to ask away.”

[newclass=.merkI] width: 330px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 11px; text-align: justify; color: #a3a3a3; padding: 20px; line-height: 12pt; margin-top: -10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.merkI b] color: #DEA02C; font-size: 12px; [/newclass] [newclass=.merktagI] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.merktagI a] background: #2e2e2e; padding: 10px; border: 1px solid #252525; text-transform: uppercase!important; font-family: 'roboto'; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold; color: #aaa; letter-spacing: 1px!important; [/newclass] [newclass=.merkpokesI] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.merkpokesI img] padding: 0px 5px 5px 0px; background: #2e2e2e; border: solid 1px #252525; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2019 22:32:08 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
"i was actually here to make your acquaintance, mister hoffman."

she accepted the offered seat with an appreciative air, arranging her companion to situate themselves comfortably upon the width of her lap. 

"
it's a habit of mine to introduce myself to my peers," she said. "i prefer to maintain friendly relations with my co-workers, after all.

cait rested her hand upon her grass-type's back, her handling of the petite creature gentle. 

"
so your schedule's open today? then again - it looks like you've got your hands full with work. i remember when it all came flooding in when i started and it was an absolute mess. when you become a gym leader - all you expect are the usual battles - not the governing of an entire city and its respective population.

@n0ble
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2019 23:45:19 GMT
Deleted Avatar

[attr="class","merkI"]

“Yeah... There's a lot more to it than I originally expected.” Letting out a small sigh, Derek pushed that notion aside as he moved to sit on top of his desk. All the responsibility meant he'd get more recognition from the league, and at the very least that made it more like an actual job. His parents wouldn't know what to say if they knew he got this far.

“But it's nice you do that for all the new gym leaders! Certainly makes me feel welcome, thank you.” Among their ranks, Derek would likely reside at the bottom for some time. Not because he was inadequate, but simply because he hadn't an opportunity to prove himself. He was an upstart who didn't possess a single badge, and now it was his job to hand them out? It made perfect sense for him to linger at the bottom, but that just made him ever the more eager to garner a reputation.

“So how are things back in Mauville? Swell, I would hope. Never did get to visit very often...” But maybe now Derek would have reason to? Cait seemed like good company to keep, and he wouldn't mind an 'excuse' to get away from Petalburg every so often. After all, he still aspired to make his way to the top of the pokemon league. And that meant chasing down both gym leaders and the elite four alike...

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Sept 30, 2019 13:56:51 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
"everyone in mauville seems satisfied enough with the war being over," she began. "any money that hadn't been spent on security is funneling its way toward community-related projects and programs. and quite a few of the civilians who migrated out of fear of rocket are coming back."

following news of rocket's defeat, a flood of both people and money came rushing back. the economy was positively booming, and there was less work to be done on a daily basis.

"
i'm sure they'd be excited to see a new gym leader paying them a visit."

cait offered him a grin of encouragement, her tone edged with excitement at the mere prospect. her companion had wriggled within the confines of her lap as she spoke, seeking to dislodge themselves from the woman's grip in favor of climbing onto the desk. 

"
shaymin," she tutted, disapproving. "you're going to make an absolute mess of his papers.

the pokemon deftly avoided her reaching hands with a quiet utterance, deciding to utilize derek as a makeshift barrier. they'd soon make an attempt at clamoring onto his lap, wanting to claim the space for themselves. 

@n0ble
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Oct 8, 2019 5:20:04 GMT
Deleted Avatar

[attr="class","merkI"]

“I wish I could make a mess of'em myself.” Derek lets out a small laugh that is cut short when Shaymin finds their way onto his lap, allowing him to pet the pokemon, which he does show gently and cautiously. It didn't seem to acknowledge any boundaries with his personal space, so he didn't think it'd mind...

“Where did this pokemon come from anyway?” None of the regions that he knew of boasted pokemon quite like this, which was both perplexing and amusing. He considered himself lucky to be meeting and, better yet, petting them like so. The bush-like hair on their back was so convincing, it even smelled like you would think it would! “I've never seen anything like'em.”

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Oct 9, 2019 19:16:04 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
"i had the pleasure of crossing paths with shaymin in the usual way. it wasn't particularly difficult to befriend them; especially since i had their favorite treat readily available."

she couldn't help but smile at the recent memory, reminded of the pot of sugary sweet honey that she had acquired from a human-ran combee hive. that alone had coaxed the grass-type from hiding, the godling eager to partake in the delectable substance. 

"
they're said to originate from the sinnoh region," she continued. "and they are considered to be gods of their respective region. there is a small tribe located there that worships them, just as my tribe worships celebi.

shaymin appeared satisfied by the human's petting, settling themselves upon the length of his klap and releasing a pleased little murmur as they decided to take an impromptu nap. 

@n0ble
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Oct 14, 2019 6:12:30 GMT
Deleted Avatar

[attr="class","merkI"]

“Gods, you say?” Derek questions, his tone considerate in a way that would hopefully keep them from being cross. His knowledge of pokemon didn't breach the likes of myth and divinity, and he doesn't quite view pokemon as something that should be worshiped. The idea was readily and widely accepted, this he knew, but he simply grew up with the view that they should be friends. It was hard to imagine being friends with gods...

“I guess even a god gets hungry... And tired.” Taking note of the slumbering Shaymin, Derek finds it hard not to be enchanted by how trusting the little one was. Perhaps it could sense the good nature in his heart? Or maybe it was just really comfortab- “Wait... You said you come from a tribe that worships Celebi? This was a 'myth' he was much more privy to, having been a native to Johto region. “Did you ever meet or see them when...so you're also from the Johto region?”

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Oct 14, 2019 6:23:11 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
"yes," she responded, simply. "i am."

cait considered the question that followed for several beats before giving an affirmative nod.

"
and yes," she continued. "i have encountered the fae celebi on numerous occasions. but i've only ever met them within the confines of hoenn - where i was born and raised."

she had visited johto only a handful of times, the trips rare and expensive - but well worth the investment put forth. on her eighteenth birthday the young woman had been gifted a ticket, and she had taken full advantage of the opportunity.

"
it's my ancestors who originate from that particular region. we migrated some several generations back."    

@n0ble
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Oct 14, 2019 8:05:00 GMT
Deleted Avatar

[attr="class","merkI"]

“Oh, okay... Well at least you got to visit! I've never been to Ilex forest. Or anywhere outside of Blackthorn, really.” It came as a surprise to know that Celebi visited Hoenn at some point in the past decade, or even five years, though perhaps that was why mythical pokemon were not often seen or heard from for long spans of time. Who would've thought they liked to travel to the places where people didn't worship them...

“Was there a particular reason why they migrated to Hoenn?” Growing curious, Derek hoped that he wasn't pushing Cait into discussing what was potentially a touchy subject for her people. And yet, he just had to ask. “I guess it could just be that your people followed Celebi here, yeah?”

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Oct 25, 2019 0:39:13 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
"we were a congregation of missionaries in certain aspects, driven by the desire to build celebi's shrines and influence the region when trading routes were officially established long ago. so a good number of us migrated from johto to spread celebi's influence to hoenn.

the young woman gave up on retrieving shaymin, settling back into her chair with a quiet sigh before pressing onward with tribe's history.

"
eventually we decided to travel to fortree once a sufficient amount of shrines were built - where we purchased land and settled," she concluded.

she omitted portions of her people's history, deciding to keep it short and simple.

"
but i suppose our devotion and are desire for peace caused them to appear within hoenn's borders," she said. "for they have blessed us with their presence - their love - their gift."

@n0ble