orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
i'll wreck this if i have to; tell me, what good would that do?
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
rubble of ruin [m]
POSTED ON Nov 12, 2019 8:58:22 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
[attr="class","anotheronedark"]

tag
@cardfightco
notes

This time, Orion had been sent out to the mission location ahead of his partner. There was no one available at the station when he'd been sent out, but they'd directed him to Dewford with the promise that they'd send back-up as soon as they got a hold of someone.

He wasn't too worried.

After all, the mission was simply to clear a cave-in that had been caused as a result of some reckless miners digging into the wrong section of the cave. He'd brought his Weavile along to help him clear the tunnel, his Absol to guard from potential wild threats, and the Murkrow — well, in all honesty, the Murkrow was just there as a companion. Kora had taken to nesting in Orion's hair, and the damned bird was so cute that the ranger couldn't turn down those beady little eyes.

The boat drops him off in Dewford and he enters the cave with a mining helmet (which Kora promptly positioned himself upon) and a bright lantern. Setting the lantern on the ground, he finds that there are tools left by the fleeing miners as he'd been promised, and he hefts one of the pickaxes. It's heavy, as to be expected, but he gives it a test swing and finds he's able to wield it without too much fuss. Still, he'd rather do as little actual mining as possible.

"Let's start by taking out some of the loose rocks by hand to make the rest of it easier to manage." Hopefully, his partner would arrive soon, otherwise this was going to take even longer. Call out if you feel any rumbling, you'll know better than me. Katas, you're on guard."

[attr="class","wizzcred"]❤ wizz

[newclass=".charactername"] [/newclass]
[newclass=".charactername b"]color:#A490FF; font-weight:lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=".charactername i"]color:#A490FF; font-style:italic; [/newclass]
[newclass=".charactername a"]text-transform:uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
rubble of ruin [m]
POSTED ON Nov 14, 2019 19:03:49 GMT
Deleted Avatar
You are our secret
it's worth keeping, and now i'm keeping my mouth shut
It hits him like a freight train. The salty gusts, the dazzle in the waves as light glitters off the sea, and the taste of bittersweet solace the small island town wrecks upon him is stunning. He couldn’t say for sure if he’s missed it. This wasn’t some sentimental trip back to his former home for the thrill of it. No, he did have a job to do, after all (even if the trip over had been like a boat ride down memory lane).

When Nemo Marvray steps onto the docks, he tries not to wonder about the familiar faces he might see. The tight pit in his stomach reminds him all too well why he ran away from Dewford in the first place. He thinks it feels warmer here than in Lilycove City and he struggles to not daydream about dashing off and going for a swim or trying surfing. He’s honored and nervous and overconfident all at the same time to be chosen for a job. It was just clearing a cave-in in a cave he’d grown up playing around all his life but even so, he still has a nagging concern it won’t be as easy as he wants it to be. On that subject, nagging feeling number two was that he was half certain he’d been hastily thrown the job simply because there was no one else. Well, someone had to do it, hadn’t they? Why not Nemo Marvray? Whatever. He was just happy to help.

By the time he reaches Granite Cave he’s wearing a helmet and carrying a small flashlight in his left hand. Treptu has moved down to take a perch on one shoulder rather than her usual spot on his head. The first thing he notices is how bad it is. Perhaps he underestimated the amount of damage a cave-in could cause. There was a lot of rubble, too many rocks. This looked like shit. Granite Cave deserved better.

So the boy smiled.

”Hey, yo! I’m Nemo Marvray….!” his happy-go-lucky smile then twitches slightly and the arms he too ridiculously and dramatically held up at his sides (the light of his held flashlight diving all over the place for a moment) to make sure his introduction was a big hit start to fall back to his sides. Green eyes widen in wonder. Katas had captured his attention. An Absol… He hadn’t seen one before. This disaster beastie was watching carefully and his white fur looked thick and soft and magnificent.

After the Absol, Nemo’s eyes drifted to the man with the bird on his helmet. This other guy, he had a pickaxe in hand and…wait! This was it. This guy had to be who he was looking for or, at the very least, could direct him to the right person. Orion Lykos. That was the name he’d been given but he wished they’d given him a photograph or something. It wasn’t like there was a great deal of people in or around the cave, the obstructing cave-in saw to that all too well, so odds were in his favor.

”Oi—I mean, sir! I’m here to help with the cave-in. Hah, guess I’m a little late though… but you wouldn’t happen to be Orion, huh?” the Marvray boy chirps, one brow slowly rising higher in curiosity.

And just like that, back-up had arrived.

[attr="class","merkI"]
[attr="class","merkpokesI"]
mission tagged 575
PYXIS
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
rubble of ruin [m]
POSTED ON Nov 14, 2019 19:37:46 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
@cardfightco
notes
Nemo Marvray enters the scene with a burst of energy and a bright smile, and Orion has to pause for a moment to take him in. The kid — if he was a kid; he was certainly younger than Orion but looks could be deceiving — seemed the polar opposite to the stoic ranger who turns from where he'd been surveying the cave-in to greet the other with an appraising stare.

At first, he thinks him a trainer.

They're all too common in places like this, youthful spirits bursting with energy and a craving for exploration. Perhaps that might have been Orion in his youth, had his life's path steered him in a different direction. He can't bring himself to be annoyed by the boisterous lad, even if such high energy levels did catch him a little off guard.

When he introduces himself as Orion's back-up, however, the ranger blinks.

"Oh," he says, too quickly, and the surprise is evident in his tone. He clears his throat uncomfortably, hoping the other wouldn't notice, and stumbles over an attempt to correct himself. "I mean — yes, I am Orion."

He turns back to the cave-in, mostly so that he doesn't have to see Nemo's expression. He had a knack for reading others, and if Nemo was offended by the abrupt greeting, well... Orion would rather not know. They're to be working together, after all, and Orion was capable of being professional. A kid, though? He wonders how strong Nemo is. "Can you lift a pick-axe?" he asks, gesturing the supply of abandoned mining equipment that Orion himself had arranged near the dig-site. "I don't want you injuring yourself on account of this job if you can't, mind. Do your Pokemon have anything that can help?"

Katas, perhaps having sensed Nemo's curiousity from earlier, approaches the boy and cocks his head curiously. Orion catches on.

"He wants you to know he's friendly."

[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
rubble of ruin [m]
POSTED ON Nov 15, 2019 1:58:38 GMT
Deleted Avatar
You are our secret
Nemo caught on to the mild surprise in Orion’s tone as he introduces himself as the ranger’s aide for the arduous task ahead of them. He could take immediate offense at the other’s hesitation, but he doesn’t. Instead he is delighted. He believes without question that the surprise is not disappointment but obviously the older league member was impressed. Nemo was either a cocky bastard or an idiot. Right now he was somehow both.

b-i-n-g-o and bingo was his name-o.

So, this was Orion Lykos. Therefore, he was in the right place. The boy still beamed even as the man turned his back. ”Great to have ya on the team,” he said like this whole operation had been his idea. The next question, though, caught him off guard.

Strong? He didn’t look so tough, he guessed. He was strong enough to fight rapid currents and succeed at water rescue (usually with the assistance of his Buizel) but that was in water. Putting his back into it with a pickaxe was out of his element. That didn’t mean he wouldn’t give it his all and try.

He nods, ”Yeah, don’t worry about me!” He retrieves a pickaxe albeit wielding it with some initial struggle that he tries his best to shrug off. With a sleight of hand, he holds up a pokeball and a flash of red soon reveals a Buizel standing near. ”Buddy, we gotta clear this cave-in, get me?” he tells the sea weasel and the pokemon quips in zealous confirmation.

Not one pokemon in his party is well-equipped for the clearing or decimation of large stones but he has to have them try. It could be possible that he could convince Buizel to take a crack at few of the larger boulders that now blocked the path, Razor Wind—something—had to be able to break them down to a smaller size but he wasn’t certain Buizel would have the strength to break more than one boulder apart (something the boy was not ready to admit). Even then, those smaller pieces would still have to be moved out in a reasonable amount of time or it wouldn’t be a full-fledged job well done.

With a grinning whoop, he tosses another pokeball. ”We’re needing to take these boulders down a size. I think I got an idea but I don’t know. Do ya have any heavy hitters?” he says to Orion as he places a hand briefly and affectionately to brush back one of the materializing Girafarig’s ears. With some luck and sweat, he and the ranger may be able to make the cave functioning again.

Katas pads closer and he admires the blade on the dark-type’s head with something between fear and awe. ”Really?” Nemo says as he lowers the pickaxe he carries to set the T-shaped tool on its head to wave at the Absol,”You’re a good boy, I-I like you.” I think. He appeared fleetingly nervous to have the disaster pokemon so close, but he suddenly couldn’t help to entertain the idea of asking to pet the creature. So, the Marvray steps from Girafarig and Buizel’s sides to close the gap between himself and Katas and he holds a hand out to the white-furred canid, at the mon’s eye level and palm facing upwards.

[attr="class","merkI"]
mission tagged 548
PYXIS
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
rubble of ruin [m]
POSTED ON Nov 15, 2019 8:59:54 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
@cardfightco
notes

For a wild, panicked moment, Orion wonders if Nemo outranked him.

I mean, sure, he looked young, but what if he just had one of those youthful faces? Orion had met plenty of younger rangers who outranked him before; he'd spent a good portion of his early days jumping at his own shadow, and had only recently begun to distinguish himself from the masses. Orion's heart skips a beat, but — but if Nemo is his superior, he doesn't call Orion out on his earlier arrogance, and some of the tension bleeds from the older man's shoulders.

You're overreacting, he scolds himself. He's probably just being obnoxious.

A man can hope.

After taking another moment to compose himself, Orion turns back to his partner and watches as the boy sends out two of his own Pokemon. Buizel is promising with its Water-typing; perhaps it has a powerful attack that can blast some of the rubble free? Girafarig he's less sure of, but he had faith in Psychic-types because of his own Espeon.

Whatever the case, Nemo seems to have a plan, and his eagerness to jump straight into problem-solving has Orion reconsidering his earlier doubts. Just because the guy was young didn't mean he was incapable. Just because you took forever to get your shit together doesn't mean he'll be the same. He cants his head at the question, frowning in thought.

"Both Katas and Chei,"
he gestures at the Absol and Weavile in turn, "can do some damage if pressed. Chei's got Metal Claw, so I'd be more inclined to use him if you're thinking of breaking up the rocks. If your Buizel there has any Water-type moves, I could also get Chei to combo with an Icy Wind. If the ice expands through the cracks, it could push some of the bigger rocks loose. But your idea might well be better than mine." He's proud, but not so much so that he can't admit imperfection. "Let's hear it."

Noting Nemo's hesitation, Katas approaches him slowly and carefully so as not to pose any kind of threat. Though his eyes are red, there's something soft and gentle in them — when Nemo holds out a hand, Katas nudges it gently, taking care not to stab the other with his horn.

"They're not as bad as people think," Orion says, and he's smiling at his Absol. "Absol, that is. They get a bad rep because of the whole 'disaster' thing, but they only appear to warn us."

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
rubble of ruin [m]
POSTED ON Nov 17, 2019 21:54:21 GMT
Deleted Avatar
You are our secret
The nudge is warm and surprisingly gentle. Nemo can’t help but smile at Katas. He’s heard stories about the alabaster bringer of bad luck but he’s never been this close to one. Like Orion expresses, Absol weren’t so bad. Even so…it would be a lonely path to walk to be the one to carry news of coming catastrophes on your shoulders. They must be truly heroic by nature, Nemo realizes slowly, otherwise they’d keep dangers to themselves and clear out of harm’s way instead of trying to warn others. Truly selfless.

The blue-haired boy turns his attention to Orion and gives a thumbs-up. Great minds must think alike because they were on the same page.

”My thoughts exactly! Let’s blow these big ole’ rocks in the way to smithereens,” there was no easy way to remove the largest ones with them all in one piece, ”I’ll have Buizel try a Razor Wind to shake some of the stones loose and maybe break some of ‘em up…if he’s got the strength.” He gives an encouraging wink at his sea weasel mon. Well, he didn’t want to sound unconfident in his Buizel’s abilities, but Razor Wind was his strongest physical move and he was still uncertain how it would fair against heavy boulders. He was just thankful Orion had his Katas and Chei armed and ready to pack some power.

”Girafarig, I want you to focus. If any stray rock pieces start to fall or fly toward us—any of us—” the boy not only indicated himself and Orion but the pokemon gathered around as well, ”stop it in its tracks with Psychic. Safety first, got it? Otherwise, if we can get these rocks into smaller shards, use that Psychic of yours to carry the little pieces out of here.” The psychic-type may have lacked physical power (even if he could attest her Stomp could be particularly nasty, he was sure it didn’t shine in the task of breaking up rocks…or rock-types for that matter) but the power of her mind was strong enough to catch, lift, and carry things much heavier into the air. Plus, he had no intention of spending hours removing rock fragments to clean up the cave, not if he could help it. Being punctual looked damn fine and he wants his first mission to go smoothly. There was no way he could one day be one of the best if he let anything slow him down.

He motions at Buizel and the water-type steps up. At first the slow-moving air in the cave starts to grow wilder and the fins on the weasel glow bright white, then Buizel releases his RAZOR WIND in the form of compressed energy blades to assault the barricading spill of rocks caused by the cave-in. It does some damage, flinging rocks free and cracking open one boulder into smaller fragments that tumble into the cave floor. ”Amazing job,” Nemo says to his Buizel, smirking in pleasant surprise but he holds up a hand to tell his mon to take it easy, not keen on exhausting his partner with orders for a second burst.
[attr="class","merkI"]
mission tagged 522
PYXIS

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
rubble of ruin [m]
POSTED ON Nov 17, 2019 22:28:10 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
@cardfightco
notes

Orion's laugh is nervous and tinged with doubt. "As long as we don't end up making it worse," he concedes. Breaking up the rocks with something like Razor Wind could work, but the ranger was concerned about causing further instability in the cave. Still, if it was their best option...

Nemo seems to have a plan, thankfully, and he directs his Girafarig to take care of any flying rocks with its psychic powers. Orion finds himself wishing that Delphi had been well enough to help with this job, as she could do much of the same, but he's satisfied that his mission partner is more capable than he'd originally given him credit for. In absence of his Espeon, Orion turns to give others to the Absol that had retreated to the cave entrance to resume guard.

"Katas, you help the Girafarig here. Cover the other side," he gestures, "and use your Detect to shield everyone from the debris. I've no doubt your Girafarig can handle it," he assures Nemo, for he knows the power of psychic-types, "but I figure it's better for all of us if we don't pile all of the responsibility on one Pokemon, y'know?"

Wind whips and tugs at his hair as the Buizel summons the strength of its move, and Orion reflexively shields himself with an upraised arm as a loud crack indicates the breaking of one of the larger boulders. He lowers his arm a moment later to see that they were unharmed, and that the cave was — well, not intact, per say, but certainly no worse off than when they'd started. He breathes a sigh of relief and compliments both Pokemon and trainer with a simple, "Impressive."

Orion calls out to his Weavile and indicates the weakened boulder. "See if you can't use Metal Claw to widen that crack, bud."

Chei growls in affirmation, and the dark-types claws take on a metallic sheen as it grins and flexes them. Chei was a bit of a show-off, but Orion had faith in his abilities... and that faith turned out to be well-placed. METAL CLAWS sink into the crack that the Buizel had created, and the Weavile attacks the boulder with a series of FURIOUS SWIPES that eventually separate the two halves of stone. Chei jumps back as the stones shift, crumble, and rearrange themselves in the absence of one of their bigger obstructions, and Orion tosses him a berry that they'd earned on a previous job.

"We're making good progress," says the Ranger, pleased. "Especially without Pokemon with moves like Dig."

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
rubble of ruin [m]
POSTED ON Nov 18, 2019 4:51:33 GMT
Deleted Avatar
You are our secret
Nemo nods in conformation at Orion’s order to have Katas watch their backs and prevent further rocks from being displaced that perhaps needed not be displaced. He didn’t argue. Having the disaster pokemon protecting them from taking a stone to the face (or worse) was more than reassuring. Girafarig may have extrasensory perception but she couldn’t be everywhere at once. ”Aww, she doesn’t mind a little help,” he speaks for his Girafarig, lighthearted.

Orion’s Weavile turns out to be a powerhouse and gives the boulder no time for even last words before it’s shredded in a flurry of swipes and claws that strike like unstoppable metal blades. It was quite a show to watch. ”Whoo! That’s how ya slice some stone!” he cheers at Chei and Orion, holding up a V-sign with one hand. With that, the mess of rocks reformed itself, smaller than before. The path was becoming clearer.

”Girafarig, clear out what you can with Psychic! With some of these small fragments gone, we’ll get a better look at what we’re dealing with now,” Nemo instructs and the long neck pokemon’s eyes gain a mystical glow, horns sparking, and stones as small as slivers and as large as soccer balls are pulled from the wreckage and into the air with a mental power. She saunters off toward the cave entrance with her burden in tow, straining some to carry the heavy toll of all the stone fragments at once, with the goal of expelling the excess rocks to the ocean. For a moment, Nemo’s a little worried she’s bitten off more than she can chew but she’s stubborn and too determined and he doesn’t call out for her to take things slower. Trust was key, after all.

With Girafarig’s contribution of removing smaller stray rocks and busted up fragments the odds look to be in their favor. Curbing the cave-in was in reach.

”Ha, yeah. With us on the job, it’s as good as done,” he says with brimming confidence. They had been fighting an uphill battle by lacking direct tools to clean up the cave but there was always another way. ”Uh, Orion? What brings you here anyway?” he asks, tone still cheerful as he muses on what brought them together in the first place. Right, the league and duty and doing good but personal motive was always a factor, too. If he was over stepping a boundary, the boy didn’t seem to notice or care. He was comfortable being an open book and struggled to be cautious when others preferred to be so tightly closed off.
[attr="class","merkI"]
mission tagged 430
PYXIS

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
rubble of ruin [m]
POSTED ON Nov 18, 2019 18:26:25 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
@cardfightco
notes
we require more minerals
it's eligible for rewards after your post, but we can continue the conversation if need be! i don't mind either way <3

Orion steps back to watch as the Girafarig utilizes her psychic energy to lift a considerable chunk of the rocks; he's impressed, if a little concerned that the Pokemon might have taken on more than it could handle. He can spot the strain as she starts toward the cave entrance but a quick glance at Nemo reassures Orion that she'd be fine. If her trainer wasn't telling her to take it easy, chances were she didn't have to. It's certainly preferable to clearing the rocks by hand.

He offers a quick smile at Nemo's vote of confidence. "Exactly," he agrees.

As he heads toward the stock of tools laying against the wall, he turns his head at the question. He looks surprised before he remembers the sudden circumstances of their meeting and he doesn't know, right. He chuckles, picking up a shovel and squaring his shoulders as he begins to shift some of the loose rocks away from the cave in. "Oh, it's what I do. I'm a Ranger, I signed up for the job when they couldn't find anyone else." Hoenn was a big region with a lot of problems, and while it would have been preferable to employ someone who had better Pokemon for the job, Orion had offered to do what he could. As it turned out, what they could was turning out to be enough! "I'm guessing it was a little more spontaneous for you."

He's surprisingly comfortable with the topic of his profession. Being a Ranger, it's the one thing he knows he's good at, and he doesn't stumble or stutter over the words as he would with a different personal question. He's proud of it, proud of the organization as a whole.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
rubble of ruin [m]
POSTED ON Nov 19, 2019 21:52:50 GMT
Deleted Avatar
You are our secret
His face contorts without really meaning to as his mission partner of all things, laughs, at the question he’s asked. It isn’t a bad expression his face instinctively takes on, but his confidence wavers for a moment as he starts to join the Ranger by the stray tools. Buizel is oblivious to his trainer’s hesitance and jumps at the chance to help again, sliding up to paw rocks loose, panting.

When Orion goes on to explain his reason, Nemo relaxes because it strikes him that Orion was relaxed. Rangers. It would have been impossible to not know about them. They protected pokemon and people, hell, the whole region. Turns out, the region had been needing more and more protecting with the assumed aftermath of Rocket and the general disasters of the everyday struggle of getting along side by side with pokemon. ”Really?” he sounds surprised and lowers the pickaxe he was lifting, ”You’re serious! Here I was thinking I was spending all day in a cave with a regular, stony-faced guy—haha no offense—and turns out you’re, like, a superhero!”

Nemo beams at Orion and he lifts the pickaxe to crack a small rock aside, ”You’re right, though. I just came to prove myself.”

//thread can be turned in for rewards! I’m fine with them continuing their interaction in a separate thread or smth, if wanted!

[attr="class","merkI"]
mission tagged 205
PYXIS

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
rubble of ruin [m]
POSTED ON Nov 20, 2019 2:11:22 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
@cardfightco
notes

Orion's cheeks flush with colour and the laugh that follows is a bit sheepish, his free hand coming up to rub at the back of his neck. Was he really that stone-faced?

He already knew the answer, of course. He'd spent years building walls around himself like he was protecting a castle, the sanctuary that was his self-esteem. He did whatever he could to not let other people in, and was it really that surprising that it had taken him this long to distinguish himself among the rangers as a result? Only recently had he begun to relax, and there's a certain appreciation in his eyes when Nemo refers to him as, of all things, a superhero.

It's a nice feeling, warm and fuzzy, and he finds he's not offended by the other's remark.

"No offense taken," he reassures.

Stepping back from the site that was once a full-on cave-in, he's impressed to see that they've cleared the majority of the blockage from the path. Some scattered rubble still remains, but it's undoubtedly traversable, and it appears to be stable. He'll update the ranger station and request that someone come out to make sure, of course, someone who's more knowledgeable of rocks and things than Orion himself, but it's a far better job than he'd originally have thought the duo capable of.

"You've certainly proved yourself," he says, and though it's awkward, the sincerity is there. "You could give some of the rangers a run for their money. It was good working with you." He sets down the pickaxe and offers a hand to shake. "Maybe I'll see you around."