40 posts
evangeline DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @evangeline
evangeline
wizened city streets
POSTED ON Sept 9, 2020 0:06:57 GMT
evangeline Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]There's something electric about Slateport once the sun starts setting. Like slowly dimming the lights in a theatre, it fills the air with anticipation. The city itself seems to know about the shift about to take place as people scurry home. As some lights go out, as some flip on, as sights and smells are interchanged. As doors once closed open up.

At least that's how Evangeline feels every time she walks through the streets at sunset. She watches the sun slowly drop from its peak, to behind the buildings' rooftops, to the skyline, and finally to dip beneath it. It's barely peeking out (like an overeager child gone too deep into the river, struggling just to be seen) as she nears one of those aforementioned doors. The sky is mostly black -- stars snuffed out by smog -- with only the faintest splash of reds and yellows and purples at the edge of the world.

The night market is springing to life as the day dies and like always a quiet part of her marvels at the way the place transforms. The scent of sweet meats hits her nose as she adjusts her clothes once more -- makes sure her hair is all tucked into her cap, that her scarf is tickling the underside of her nose, and that her sunglasses are properly in place. She tugs at her sweater and jeans one more time before making a proper entry. Not that it matters. She's one of dozens beginning to trickle into the street.

Though she's just about the only one who winds up at an out-of-the-way stall.

"Business booming as always Eli?" she asks playfully from behind her scarf, her tone brighter than her mood out of habit.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #85a37e[/newclass]
close tab

played by

SHIV

eli
he/him
may 15
oldale
Bisexual
apothecary
executive
single
5'10" height
5'10" height
Give some supportance to the bending twigs.
awards
614 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elijah
elijah gardner
wizened city streets
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2020 6:05:22 GMT
elijah gardner Avatar
 while evangeline marvels, elijah stews. he's unused to being here at night. as a new face, neighboring vendors barge in with alarming greetings, requests for names, questions upon questions of what plant is best, to which the answer is "all of them."

he had been requested to take over for someone's stall tonight by the organizers of the market. in his bitter way, he had obliged.

"nope." elijah flourishes the fact with a flat slap of his tongue. "it's the reason why i'm here, evangeline. to get some extra cash."

the greasy scent of fried street food is carried on festive lights. many walk around with rotatos and buneary boba. very few, or perhaps precisely zero people, walk with potted plants.

"are you here for a plant? no discounts for friends."

close tab

played by

sunshine

eve
she/her
twenty-eight
august 12
castelia city
bisexual
actor/"scientist"
grunt
i can't smile wide, i'm stuck, there's nothing I can do
awards
40 posts
evangeline DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @evangeline
evangeline
wizened city streets
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2020 6:41:05 GMT
evangeline Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Now Eli," Evangeline tilts her head and drags his name out like a scolding mother, "You know this is why you're working a night stall, right? This attitude?" She leans forward to rest her crossed arms on the stall counter as she speaks. Her expression is one of her favorites -- soft eyes, a gentle firmness to her features. It's a look she got often in grade school.

"You're so sour, and boring. You're like a sullen gas station attendant," every word is picked carefully and delivered with all the benevolent condescension she can muster, "You couldn't sell me a 3am coffee like this, much less plants nobody wants."

She reaches out to pinch a leaf of one of these plants between her left thumb and forefinger. Rubs it between their pads as she looks at Eli, anxiously awaiting a response.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

SHIV

eli
he/him
may 15
oldale
Bisexual
apothecary
executive
single
5'10" height
5'10" height
awards
614 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elijah
elijah gardner
wizened city streets
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2020 0:13:03 GMT
elijah gardner Avatar
 elijah wonders if he should take the counter out, or fill it with so lavishly with plants, that it can no longer be a patron's prop. as evangeline speaks, his default frown seems to flatten further and further. every article in her list serves as nails and strokes of a hammer that pin his lips to the corners of his chin.

"people want my plants." elijah challenges. Everything else is acceptable, presumably. his gaze narrows to her fingers, the quivering leaf. "If you touch that any further, you'll need to buy it."

from the jungle of his stall, his tangrowth emerges. its eyes seem to glow in its tangled mess, for they capture the night market lights.

"unless you want to?"

close tab

played by

sunshine

eve
she/her
twenty-eight
august 12
castelia city
bisexual
actor/"scientist"
grunt
i can't smile wide, i'm stuck, there's nothing I can do
awards
40 posts
evangeline DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @evangeline
evangeline
wizened city streets
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2020 3:24:54 GMT
evangeline Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]They're supposed to be friends, Evangeline knows that, but there's just something so satisfying about watching Elijah's frown deepen, and deepen, and deepen again as she takes her shots. It's the one interesting thing about him as far as she's concerned. His dedication to dour sourness.

"And yet I'm the only one here," she responds quickly, and then keeps going, "and like I said, you can't sell me one of these plants the way you're acting." A likely unneeded reminder as she obediently releases the leaf she was holding.

His emerging Tangrowth catches her attention as the next thing to idly play with. She wiggles her fingers at it with a smile before gesturing for it to come closer. Hopefully it isn't as moody as its master.

"That said, there are other plants I'm interested in," she looks at him out of the corner of her eyes while still smiling, "The usual. The last bag I bought from you needed to be used for . . . an emergency."

close tab

played by

SHIV

eli
he/him
may 15
oldale
Bisexual
apothecary
executive
single
5'10" height
5'10" height
awards
614 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elijah
elijah gardner
wizened city streets
POSTED ON Oct 11, 2020 3:11:13 GMT
elijah gardner Avatar
 "or maybe you're scaring my customers away." the released leaf continues to flutter.

while his tangrowth wiggles several loose vines back to elijah's "patron," the apothecary leans forth stiffly. he to presses his forearm against the wooden counter, pressing wood-grain patterns into his skin. evangeline's smile alerts him to what she wants— and sighs. not because he's exasperated. it's because he's relieved at the prospect of taking a break from their linguistic gymnastics.

"come on in." elijah gestures to the side. there are no walls to this stall, only a front. inside, shelves, storage, and a rundown carpet house his wares. "was the emergency taken care of?" he asks, shuffling through his cabinets.