[attr="class","frlastcont"]
[attr="class","frlastconttop"]
[attr="class","frlastcontimg"]

[attr="class","frlastcontlyric"]
[break]
I FEEL IT BURNING LIKE WHEN THE[BREAK]
  WINTER WIND STOPS MY BREATHING.

[attr="class","frlastcontmid"]

Technically a day off from your usual job should entail resting and entertainment, giving the worker a chance to recharge their batteries and take a load off their pile of responsibilities for some protected hours. Bryn had instead opted to surround himself with a table swimming in papers, scratchy penmanship and the familiar blips or flickers of machines – yet his hazel eyes glinted brightly in the gloom of the boat cabin despite the dark circles outlining them. Had he slept since finishing his night shift at the lighthouse before jumping aboard Skyler’s boat when she had approached him with a mission too tempting to ignore? Not a wink. Thankfully he had more than the caffeine in his veins keeping his energy high; it took him back to his researcher days a little, where he’d stay awake for far longer than humanely possible for that high of theories turned fact. [break][break]

Stretching arms above his head, pen tucked behind an ear, he pulled himself away from the chaos he had left on Skyler’s table. They had dropped anchor around the area in which the fishermen had complained about their lack of catch, citing strange weather or peculiar below the surface activity as the cause of their problem and Bryn had been monitoring the forecast since to look out for anomalies. “Nothing out of the ordinary so far,” he told the blonde sailor as he walked up onto the deck, fishing out a bottle of water and not seeming disappointed in the slightest that this tiny pocket of hoenn’s waters was seemingly clear from any weirdly out of the ordinary weather. Like just being submerged in all of the day’s activities of sky watching, note taking and mathematics had been far from a chore despite the lack of a breakthrough. [break][break]

Though there are some signs of some bad weather going on about 1.7 clicks north-west, give or take,” twisting the cap off his bottle, Bryn slumped down in a vacant seat with a nonchalant tone to her predication, ignoring the ache in his feet as the salt breeze ruffled his hair. “It might fade out or not even come this way but I’ll keep an eye out.” Tilting his head back and draping an arm over the back of another seat, Bryn watched as the clouds above them sat, grey and fat enough to almost blot out the blue expanse. [break][break]

So, how're you doing? Caught their fearsome, boat-sized, hungry sea monster yet?

[break][break]

notes – here[break][break]
[attr="class","frlastconttag2"]
[attr="class","frlastconttag"]

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

[googlefont=Quattrocento Sans:400,700]
[newclass=.frlastcont]padding:0px 0px 35px 0px;border-top:solid 25px #999999;border-bottom:solid 5px #999999;background-color:#242424;width:400px;color:#999999;text-align:justify;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttop]height:50px;padding:35px;overflow:hidden;background-color:#1b1b1b;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontimg]height:50px;width:50px;border-radius:100px;float:left;margin-right:20px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontimg img]height:50px;width:50px;border-radius:100%;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontlyric]padding:5px 0px;font:10px quattrocento sans;line-height:10px;color:#dddddd;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid]padding:35px;font:10px quattrocento sans;line-height:12px;letter-spacing:.3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid b]color:#829989;border-bottom:solid 1px #191919;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid i]font:bold 10px quattrocento sans;color:#dddddd;font-style:italic;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttag]padding:13px;background-color:#191919;font:bold 9px quattrocento sans;text-transform:uppercase;line-height:9px;float:right;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttag a]font:bold 9px quattrocento sans;line-height:9px;color:#999999!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttag2]height:30px;margin:-10px 35px 0px 0px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
how bold I was, could be - will be - still am
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
storm chasers
POSTED ON Oct 12, 2020 22:55:09 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

Ask any fisherman down by the docks and they'll tell you that the sea is a dangerous beast whose tender embrace will as soon drag you into its depths should you not heed its warnings. 

Silver eyes crossed the distant horizon, pausing briefly on the rolling clouds approaching their position. When you spent enough time on the ocean like Skyler did you grew a sixth sense for certain types of things. And right now she could feel a creeping cold on the back of her neck at the sight of the darkened horizon.

Skyler shifted to face the scientist as he climbed his way up to the deck and spoke, swiftly batting aside all thoughts of bad weather.
"You look like you need a coffee, Bryn." She took special note of the bags under his eyes and of the pen neatly tucked behind his ear. The sight made her lips curl into a lopsided, shit-eating grin. "Or maybe a bed and a blanket." She had some coffee downstairs she'd made available to the scientist, but it was the kind that would make one's teeth fall out from its sheer bitterness. The sailor didn't mind it, but then again her taste buds had long since given up on her. Ever since she'd tried her hand at cooking, in fact.

"Yeah, I don' like the look of those clouds."
The sailor didn't have any of the fancy equipment, nevermind the knowledge, to back her statement, just that same niggling feeling on the back of her head. "I got a bad feeling about it." That had never stopped her before though, and it certainly wouldn't now. Still, she thought it prudent to share her concerns all the same.

Laughter escaped her throat at Bryn's question, and when she turned to face him again her eyes were bright with amusement.
"Believe me, you would've known if I had." The sailor approached the seat next to Bryn's and jumped on it, unabashedly removing his arm from her way before plopping down one level above the man. "If the famed monster doesn't appear I can always do a quick dive, see if anything's down there." Which was only an excuse to use her diving equipment; she could always use one of her many water types to do that job for her, but what was the fun in that? 

Her foot nudged Bryn's leg and she leaned over him slightly.
"Don't you go falling asleep on me, Mr. Scientist." 

● tags:
● notes: something fishy mission
close tab

played by

esuna

n / a
he / him
thirty-one
january third
lilycove, hoenn
go away
lighthouse keeper
no
10 height
10 height
darker days are raining over me
awards
19 posts
bryn hollis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @bryn
bryn hollis
storm chasers
POSTED ON Oct 13, 2020 20:39:13 GMT
bryn hollis Avatar
[nospaces]

[break]

Taking a couple of gulps of his water, enjoying the refreshing chill as they sat in the early Autumn sun, Bryn nodded as Skyler agreed to his notion of the weather. Figures that a sailor would catch on well to the hints of a storm, she’d probably seen the signs plenty of times during her trips out on the water, maybe enough for her to pick up the first hints by instinct alone. It was impressive even if she did chalk it up to just a bad feeling. “We know it might be coming, if it looks like the wind is pushing it in this direction, then we can always pick up anchor and leave. It’s fine.” They were already a step ahead than most now they were aware of its presence hovering in the distance, so Bryn wasn’t too worried about it, although he reminded himself to check the barometer on the regular. [break][break]

He let her pull at his arm without complaint, removing it from the back of her seat as she threw herself down next to him to instead screw the cap back onto his water, nodding at her remark about the apparent creature the fishermen claimed was another reason for their fish disappearance. So far he couldn’t see a pattern in it being weather related and although he would continue to monitor the readings, it was beginning to lean more likely towards the issue resolving in an unknown variable beneath the waves… He’d have to leave that to Skyler mostly, if that were the case.[break][break]

Give me a bit of credit,” he hummed with a soft breath of amusement, shooting Skyler a stare out of the corner of his eye, the usual sharpness in his gaze smoothed over like an ocean-weathered shard of worn green glass. “You’re making it out like this is my first all-nighter. Don't worry, I think I’ll manage, Cap’.”[break][break]

His lips curled lightly at the corners, wry and subtle, as Skylar nudged him with her shoe and remarks about him falling asleep. She always made getting close to people easy, as unabashed and playful as the ocean waves that bobbed their boat and while Bryn didn’t return the friendly gesture of contact, he didn’t move away from her either, comfortable to just let her nudge him. People seemed to be doing that a lot lately, prodding themselves into his life and squirming into spaces which had long ago been unknowingly vacant, filling it with chatter and banter where before it was occupied by work and solitude. Bryn was starting to admit that, although he still enjoyed Meteorology research, it wasn’t so bad to fill up his time with moments like this instead… [break][break]

Speaking of coffee, I helped myself earlier.” Placing his bottle on the deck beside his chair, Bryn found himself slumping down in the seat, legs stretching out after he had spent the better part of his day standing over a table; his voice about as unapologetic and nonchalant as his posture for taking her beans without first asking. “Where the hell did you get that stuff? Your taste buds have got to be dead, that shit was strong enough to wake someone from a coma.” Not like he could talk; years of all-night research binges had left him annoyingly tolerant to but the strongest of caffeine. He might be interested in precuring some for himself if Skyler was willing to divulge where she got the goods.

[break][break]

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

[newclass=.frlastcont]padding:0px 0px 35px 0px;border-top:solid 25px #999999;border-bottom:solid 5px #999999;background-color:#242424;width:400px;color:#999999;text-align:justify;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttop]height:50px;padding:35px;overflow:hidden;background-color:#1b1b1b;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontimg]height:50px;width:50px;border-radius:100px;float:left;margin-right:20px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontimg img]height:50px;width:50px;border-radius:100%;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontlyric]padding:5px 0px;font:10px quattrocento sans;line-height:10px;color:#dddddd;text-transform:uppercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid]padding:35px;font:10px quattrocento sans;line-height:12px;letter-spacing:.3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid b]color:#829989;border-bottom:solid 1px #191919;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastcontmid i]font:bold 10px quattrocento sans;color:#dddddd;font-style:italic;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttag]padding:13px;background-color:#191919;font:bold 9px quattrocento sans;text-transform:uppercase;line-height:9px;float:right;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frlastconttag a]font:bold 9px quattrocento sans;line-height:9px;color:#999999!important;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
storm chasers
POSTED ON Oct 14, 2020 14:35:30 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

Skyler decided to ignore the looming cloud cover for the moment, snuggling deeper into her sport jacket when a particularly cold breeze swept through the boat and raised the small hairs on the back of her neck. Summer had passed them by and days were steadily growing colder. The hoennian waters were devoid of tourists and their cruise ships, much to the sailor's delight. Skyler herself had used her boat several times for tours, but it was something she'd sworn to never repeat. She still found glitter hidden in crevices inside the cabin, months after a couple of drunken tourists had thought it a brilliant idea to spill a bucket of the horrid sparkles all over her boat.
Never again.

Skyler's grin grew at Bryn's response, but she simply hummed noncommittaly and leaned back, copying the man's position and letting her head lean back to look at the sky.
"If you fall asleep and miss all the action I reserve the right to laugh at you in your face." Despite her words, the sailor wasn't at all worried that Bryn might fall asleep; it was just too fun to poke at him. Sometimes, Skyler thought, the more grouchy the person the more amusing it was to poke at their buttons. She looked at him from the corner of her eyes, too lazy to move. "And that's a promise." 

Her eyebrows went up at his next words, and she couldn't help the unelegant snort of amusement that escaped her at his assessment of the coffee in her boat. "Huh. No wonder you're awake. That one's a special local blend. You kinda need it when you wake every day at the crack of dawn to go out to sea." Though she supposed working on... whatever he worked on lended itself to sleepless nights and caffeine ingestion. So he did understand, kind of. "And my taste buds are pretty much dead. Ever since I started cooking my own food, in fact." A good cook, Skyler definitely was not. "There was this one time I tried to bake a pie. It became a... slushy mess. Tasted like coals. No idea how I managed that, to be honest." She threw her hands up in the air, but she didn't really seem overly frustrated over her lack of cooking skills. "I usually stick to takeaway now."

Her next words were interrupted by a loud 'thump'. Skyler's countenance - which had borne a playful, relaxed expression up until now - suddenly turned serious as she looked down in the direction the strange noise had come from. A hand gripped Bryn's shoulder and she made the universal sign for him to keep silent before making her way to the edge of the boat to look down into the waters. Another cold breeze sent Skyler's teeth chattering and - was this temperature normal? It didn't seem like it.

She released a Milotic from one of her pokéballs. "There's something in the water, go check it out."

As the serpentine pokémon disappeared under the waves she turned back to Bryn, mouthing to him the words 'the barometer'. The fishermen had reported abnormal weather patterns and Skyler was willing to bet that what they were experiencing right now might be exactly that. They just needed to find out its origin.

● tags:
close tab

played by

esuna

n / a
he / him
thirty-one
january third
lilycove, hoenn
go away
lighthouse keeper
no
10 height
10 height
awards
19 posts
bryn hollis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @bryn
bryn hollis
storm chasers
POSTED ON Oct 14, 2020 20:15:31 GMT
bryn hollis Avatar
[nospaces]

[break]

As Skyler swiftly rose and took to the edge of the boat after her Milotic, Bryn got to his feet and made his way back down into the cabin, footsteps swift and sure as he approached the table cluttered with his equipment. Quickly his hands shuffled papers out of the way, reaching for the few tools he had brought with him and scanning the readings that he was copying on his laptop. His gaze snaped back and forth between all of the data he had been collecting from the meters and taking immediate note of the sudden spike and dips; this storm had definitely fallen upon them far faster than should be naturally possible. Like it had transported from a mile away in an instant, summoned right above their heads. An unrestrained, crooked grin pulled at the corner of his lips, electricity crackling from the morphing atmosphere right down to his fingertips. [break][break]

When he finally emerged back on deck, Bryn was mid-sentence, the technical weather jargon that had been previously been muffled beneath Skyler’s feet suddenly becoming clearer. “-definitely some outside variable amplifying the wind speed and the direction - it usually changes when a storm is approaching - but for the readings to look like this, it's not your average ocean storm...” His hazel gaze instantly flew to the skies above, ignoring the sudden chill that seeped through his clothes and seeming to gather energy from it instead while Skyler shivered; a natural kick of adrenaline far more effective than any coffee. “And the pressure, there’s no way that it would have decreased this quickly if it was just nature taking its course.”[break][break]

During his absence the sky had darkened with heavy cumulonimbus clouds circling above their heads, beneath them the waves growing choppier as the wind direction turned and he didn’t have to consult the barometer he had just shoved into his pocket to know the pressure was rapidly plummeting. “How's it going, see anything?” He asked as he approached Skyler’s side, hand gripping the edge of the boat to keep himself steady, intrigued to see whether her Milotic had located anything beneath the surface that may be the cause of their sudden weather escalation. There was definitely something out there messing with the atmosphere above their coordinates and he wanted to know what the hell could cause this kind of shift. [break][break]

He felt the miniaturized capsule in his jacket pocket shift as a drop of rain splashed on the tip of his nose and he found his fingers instinctively lifting from the railing to press against the shape under the fabric, the Kingdra nestled within shivering in time with a particularly low howl of the wind. As if she had predicted it a surge of an air current collided into the boat, urging it to bob and sway them harder than before, Bryn’s hand that had been placed on his pocket reached out to automatically hold Skyler’s shoulder with a firm grip, blind to the touch while the quickly forming storm enraptured his attention. [break][break]

What do you think Captain Dross...” He was no boat expert but, as a few more raindrops began to fall with ripples barely visible in the waves, Bryn hoped that Skyler's curiosity was as keen to be quenched as his own; his voice not wavering in the slightest in the face of their approaching, strange storm. Relenting to the shifting of Kingdra's pokeball, he fished her capsule out of his pocket and released the water dragon into the depths to join the Milotic in the search. “Think we can hold out a little longer?

[break][break]

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
storm chasers
POSTED ON Oct 15, 2020 15:50:13 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

This time when Skyler shivered, it was less due to the biting, icy winds and more due to the rapidly advancing storm that was encroaching upon their position. The waters beneath the boat had grown dark with the disappearing light, the only evidence of the previously blue skies being faint, all-to-distant shafts of sunlight peeking from increasingly smaller breaks in the rolling, heavy cloud cover.

Bryn's weather jargon almost went over her head, but his conclusion only reinforced Skyler's earlier instinct. This was no normal storm, not at the rate it was growing. In all her years at sea, the captain had never seen a storm grow this rapidly. She noted with a small pang of dread that it didn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon.

The boat creaked and groaned as the waves crested against its side, seafoam splashing over the ocean's surface in increasingly shorter intervals.
"Nothing yet," she answered Bryn, silver eyes studying the surface of the water. "It might take Milotic some time, especially when the ocean turns rough." Not if, when. There wasn't any doubt in the captain's mind that they were about to be caught in a sizeable ocean storm. Despite her obvious misgivings, a frisson of excitement made its way to her gaze, sending adrenaline running through her system.

An
ocean storm.

Skyler was barely aware of the hand holding onto her shoulder, her sea legs helping her balance herself despite the swaying of the boat. A distant rumble of thunder stole her attention for a moment, and her breath caught in her throat at the utter darkness approaching them, broken only by the occasional arc of lightning. 

"Either way the storm is going to catch up to us, whatever we do."
She caught the curiosity (excitement?) in Bryn's voice, and something in her responded to it. Her gaze drifted to the man at her side, wondering. "So I reckon we should try and beat the storm." Her posture shifted ever so slightly, chin tipped back in obvious challenge. "Think you're up to it, weather guy?"

Whatever his answer, Skyler would then immediately jump into captain mode, quickly making plans in her head. First thing would be to throw out the sea anchor in order to create some drag so the storm wouldn't sweep them away immediately. And then, "In the cabin there are some fasteners, they're these bright orange straps. Use them to fasten anything in place. We need to keep the boat balanced." 

Skyler herself jumped into action, opening a compartment under the seat and dragging out the sea anchor. 

● tags:
close tab

played by

esuna

n / a
he / him
thirty-one
january third
lilycove, hoenn
go away
lighthouse keeper
no
10 height
10 height
awards
19 posts
bryn hollis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @bryn
bryn hollis
storm chasers
POSTED ON Oct 15, 2020 22:05:02 GMT
bryn hollis Avatar
[nospaces]

[break]

An eruption of noise closed in from all sides, a symphony that foretold of an oncoming disaster, yet Bryn felt himself focused even as the surface beneath him groaned and swayed with the salty spray that peppered the breeze. His concentration a rock amongst the swirling, angry winds and water. Dark clouds rolled in thick overhead, even bleaker waters that could hide the form of a storm’s puppeteer beneath them, yet his gaze hungrily absorbed them all. His senses felt alive, crackling along with the electricity that hung thick in the air above the boat, charged from the pull of his curiosity and being submerged in the elements in which he found so fascinating. [break][break]

And Skyler only proved to encourage Bryn’s sense of reckless passion, prodding him with a verbal challenge, pushing him deeper into the risk of the hunt for knowledge when others would be smart to give up. “Just who do you think you’re talking to?” He let out a breath of amusement at her provocation. His gaze met hers for the briefest of moments until a spray of water frothed over the edge of the boat and, suddenly, they wordlessly threw themselves into the chaos. [break][break]

Bryn followed Skyler’s word when it came to preparing the boat for the oncoming weather, submerging himself down in the depths of the cabin again and gathering up all of his equipment, storing them where they would remain active but wouldn’t be thrown into the walls should they hit some particularly nasty waves. None of his tools were exactly Weather Institute level of expensive or quality but they were still his own personal belongings and he’d rather not see all of his data smashed from turbulent wants. Then, with the orange straps, he began to fasten down anything that was a flight risk. [break][break]

When he emerged back on deck and finished up the task she had given him, rain was beginning to fall with increasing speed and heaviness from the mass of dark clouds, sticking his wet mousey hair to his face and smothering their surroundings with the pattering, white noise backdrop of droplets colliding again the deck. “All done here,” he shifted towards Skyler, holding onto something to steady his balance and raising his voice to puncture through the rain, grip tightening as they rolled over a swelling wave. [break][break]

He hovered close by, just in case she needed him to handle anything else, numb to the way the cold water had begun soaking down through his clothes to his skin when he had so many other variables to focus on; like the way a flash of lightning branched across the sky like an outstretched tree branch. [break][break]

as mad as it sounds, I've always wanted to see what it was like being in the middle of one of these. You don't get many opportunities to go out into the field and actually experience it first hand back at the Institute.” He called out to her over the sounds of the surrounding storm with more of a statement than a question, seemingly unperturbed by the warnings of the weather, his voice steady and curiosity unfaltering even while in the midst of his first sea storm experience. “So hey, tell me about a sea storm you've been in; a memorable one. I want to hear about it from a sailing veteran. Were the conditions anything like this?” [break][break]

Because there was nothing like asking for a ghost story while walking through a haunted house, right?

[break][break]

PHARAOH LEAP CREATES

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
storm chasers
POSTED ON Oct 18, 2020 12:18:27 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

The storm definitely wasn't behaving like any storm Skyler had seen before.

As she looked up she noticed that the cloud cover was getting thicker, layers of clouds settling over a canvas that was growing increasingly, ominously dark. As Bryn disappeared into the cabin below, Skyler moved to get the sea anchor. It was too heavy for the woman to actually carry; so she just made sure the heavy chains were untangled before she jumped over to the helm and pressed a button, releasing the anchor into the waters below. The sound of metal hitting metal was almost overpowering as the chains fell into the sea before pulling taunt.

"If you don't fear ending up at the bottom of the ocean,"
Skyler responded to Bryn, raising her voice over the storm, "then it's the most glorious experience in the world." There was a fierce grin on her lips, and when she moved her head to look at Bryn there was something wild peeking out of her silver eyes. "I've seen some storms in my time, but never one like this. This is unnatural." Yet the tone of her voice held a strange reverence to it.

"I was caught by a storm once, near Pacifidlog. Back then I had another boat, a smaller fishing vessel. Lost my engine too, so I was a sitting duck. Luckily the storm moved away and I actually ended up close to the town, if a bit waterlogged."
She'd been very lucky. There'd been no rogue waves and she'd only caught the tail end of the storm. Otherwise she'd be feeding some fishies right now.

A nearby rumble of thunder was like a shot of adrenaline in Skyler's system. Her silver eyes looked out to sea, watching the play of shadow and light from when the lightning crossed the clouds and arced down into the agitated waters. She found herself having to protect her eyes from the pouring rain as she watched the waves for a moment, studying their movements. If someone were here watching her face, they'd see her suddenly turn pale. 

They had to turn the boat.
Quickly. 

"Bryn! To the helm!" She followed her own warning, moving with practised ease even as the boat swayed dangerously. The deck was growing slick with saltwater from the restless ocean and the violent downpour. Skyler's fingers held on to the controls, moving the ship so that its bow was facing the incoming waves. "There are a couple of bigger waves incoming; it's better we face them head on instead of letting them hit the side of the boat."

The speedboat groaned as it crested over another wave, and the captain grinned at the sight of the next set of waves. "Hold on, weather guy."

● tags: