awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reckoning [c]
POSTED ON Dec 14, 2020 15:35:19 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Why had it taken him so long to get everything together?

Honestly, with the clean-up efforts all around the region it was no surprise he hadn’t collapsed from exhaustion yet. He’d turned to drinking more coffee in the morning, and secretly wishing there was more fucking time to get everything done.

Time was a luxury and fuck, why did it only come in 24-hour increments and not a second longer? If it was possible for a day to have more than twenty-four hours, he would wish for it. However, he knew it wasn’t realistically possible.

Lars was certain the other man already had a copy of the compilation of all the reports across all three battle fields, and then there was the other concerning matter of the Slateport black out to ponder about.

Either way…

Arriving at the office, he raised his gloved hand and knocked on the door, for formality’s sake.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,732 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reckoning [c]
POSTED ON Dec 14, 2020 18:28:58 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Come in.

Fernando doesn’t bother checking who it is. Anyone with the gall to interrupt him during a crisis is either someone of rank, someone with pressing information, or someone remarkably foolish. In the case of the latter, it’s nothing a quick call to the front office can’t handle. So, he keeps an semi-open door policy, allowing those to come and go as they please.

Anderson is no different, given permission to enter as Fernando reviews some of the more intricate reports ferried his way. Inside his office, Anderson will get to see Fernando in his ideal workspace. Numerous projections present several word documents, text scrolling too fast for the human eye to keep track. Fernando is no exception and his focus remains on his primary laptop screen, shielded behind a set of yellow computer glasses. Several Porygon2 flank around him, hardly reacting aside from occasionally tilting their head forward like drinking birds.

What is it?

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reckoning [c]
POSTED ON Feb 15, 2021 13:55:09 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Knowing how fast you work I’m sure you have the main reports from all three battle grounds already,” he began as he let himself in once he was allowed to do so.

Closing the door behind him, he then made his way over where the other man was located.

“So I’m not sure if you’d still want copies of the other extra reports I scraped together from the other Rangers who were present at Lilycove and Mauville.”

Just—what the shit had gone down in Mauville anyway? Lilycove was also a mess and a half, considering what other reports he’d gotten from the ground.

“I surmise you already know what showed up in Lilycove.”

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,732 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reckoning [c]
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 17:03:14 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Something like that. So much has happened that it's impossible to keep on top of things."

Fernando never diverts his eyes away from the computer screen, not even to address Lars as they converse. There's no need to. That extra human touch from eye contact is a waste of time necessitated by those that don't understand the value of the work they do.

"No. More is better," he corrects, cupping his chin as he reads line by line of the text on his laptop. His own pace is slow to moderate, allowing the details to sink in as he tries to get a grasp of what happened on the other battlefronts. "I don't know when I'll be able to get to them but I'll get it parsed nonetheless. You have my thanks."

Lars presents a question and Fernando doesn't miss a beat.

"Indeed."

Despite never straying, his eyes narrow, as if his pensive expression can be transmitted through context alone.

"Sounds like we got lucky. You're welcome, by the way."

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reckoning [c]
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 17:17:21 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“If you can count that parasitic-looking alien thing—being—that manifested in our battlefront as lucky, well, odds are we may have gotten away with much less.”

He could still remember flying extremely close to danger, just to get the screaming lady away from—shit. His brow furrowed at the thought.

It made his blood run cold in more ways than one, so to speak.

“Have any steps been taken to get information from the enemy general we managed to bring in?” he inquired a few moments later.

Out of the three war fronts, only one—theirs, who knew—was successful in securing an enemy general.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,732 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reckoning [c]
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 17:22:20 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Anderson."

Only now does Fernando take a break from his computer. He can feel the eye strain bleed past the protective lens. He blinks several times, eyes watering, fighting off the urge to pinch the bridge of his nose.

He graces the Head Ranger with his full attention and a question.

"Do you think was a dogshit trainer? How about Bosch?"

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reckoning [c]
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 17:30:14 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Okay that question came—completely out of left field.

Setting the envelope that had the extra reports down onto one side of the desk, he pondered the question quietly for a few moments.

Talking about the dead like that, are we? he thought to himself. Curious as he was to ask what had prompted the question, he let a few moments of silence pass between them.

“Talking smack about the dead, are we?” he opened after what he felt was a passable amount of time. “Never pegged you for that kind of person.”

Truth be told, the reports he had from Lilycove all had being sighted together with his sister before pandemonium broke loose, but after everything had settled down—only the sister, had made it out alive of that war front.

“Why do you ask?”

Humor me, he thought to himself.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,732 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reckoning [c]
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 17:34:15 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Hardly."

Fernando's stare only grows bolder as his expression distorts into one of judgement. The fine lines of his winkles show just how far his eyebrows knot. He's anything but pleased.

"It's a genuine question because I want to know your opinion on their skill level."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reckoning [c]
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 17:43:11 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He’d stalled for what he figured was enough time, and then let out the tiniest of sighs.

“If you go and get yourself killed without even fighting back honorably, hell even valiantly for that matter—then what’s the use of being a defender of the people if you’re dead?”

The reports on Mauville were also a mess, having the ex-Champion show up only to end up dead as well from eyewitness accounts—what few had managed to witness what went down.

Lars wondered what the other man would say about that. Harsh words, coming from him, but from the looks of things, he would either get a good or bad answer.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,732 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reckoning [c]
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 17:51:16 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"..."

Judgement becomes frustration and then confusion. Fernando tilts his head, side-eyeing his colleague before entertaining his little monologue.

"Anderson, what the hell does that mean? Just answer the question; how strong of a trainer do think either of them were?"

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reckoning [c]
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 17:55:13 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Telling you now, even if he’s dead, fuckin’ trapped me in a deadlock during my bid for his ‘badge’. That didn’t end too well for me. He was frustrating, but the intensity was there.”

As for the other?

“No idea. Can’t really judge if I haven’t even heard of her battles or escapades.”

That was as much as he could offer at the moment. Bit of a shame he’d only personally met and encountered one of the two, really.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,732 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reckoning [c]
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 18:04:12 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Another blink before Fernando lets out a low rumbled sigh. "I'll take that as you approve of Stone's battle prowess even if it's at a technical level." He takes the chance to folder his fingers together and rest his hands in his lap, coming full circle with the point of his question.

"Both champions were very skilled trainers. Stone was a Gym Leader, twice, and was able to go toe-to-toe with me and Tapu Fini. While and could give him a run for his money, making that case for any other trainer in the region is a hard call. Bosch as well—from what I've seen of her past battles, she puts all three of them to shame."

He pauses to give the Head Ranger a chance to piece the puzzle together. Fernando, in all his haughtiness, doubts he will, but the chance is given.

"Knowing this—the fact that both of them were killed in action, among many of our Rangers and Cadets, should let you know how lucky we were, regardless of what we faced. I don't say this to discount our own achievements but I need you to realize the gap between our warfront and theirs. That could've easily been you in their place."

Only then does Fernando feel satisfied, unwinding as he returns to his computer.

"So, you're welcome."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reckoning [c]
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2021 5:18:07 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Honestly, there was something Lars couldn’t understand with what the Councilman was saying, but he kept his face in this impassive, unreadable block as he continued to try to untangle what the other man was pointing out.

Something about battle prowess, something about technical skill level… he wondered what was up with that.

He also wondered why the other one kept saying ‘You’re welcome’ until he thought he had the thought grasped. Or understood. Sometimes overthinking was too much.

“So you’re saying we’re still underdeveloped in terms of battle and technical knowledge, then,” he mused. He wondered if he’d gotten that right.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,732 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reckoning [c]
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2021 8:11:46 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“

Fernando simply sits there and stares at Anderson. He does so for far too long. No matter how much his brain tries to rack and rewrite his sentiments into another assortment to make it simpler for the Head Ranger to digest, there is simply no solution.

This is impossible.

You know what? Sure, Anderson.

And that breaks him into submission.

We’ll go with that.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,784 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reckoning [c]
POSTED ON May 10, 2021 22:58:04 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Sometimes overthinking sucked.

Maybe he was? He really didn’t know.

Pinching the bridge of his nose, he wondered if the other had—well, he could take an educated guess at the general mood of the room.

Sometimes having a Lucario for a long-time Pokémon partner really did have unwanted side-effects, like over-thinking and over-reading into things too much. Like what he was doing now.

“What?” was all he could say once he’d relieved the pressure that was slowly building up in his head. Did the other man have something to say?

He wasn’t sure.

Much as he wanted to tack on the question with a follow-up statement sometimes he knew better not to.

At least, for the moment.