4,335 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
bombshells and bygones [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2021 0:36:25 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

It is sometimes claimed that context is lost across mobile devices. These claims are quickly burned to the ground via the cutting clarity of the tone in ’s text which followed the S.P.E.C.T.R.A. meeting.

Since her time with Rocket had begun, she had taken her brother’s requests as orders out of respect, even if they hadn’t been meant as such. This one was different. This one had been given out with directness and intention. She would meet him in his office. Now.

Her boots clicked on the submarine floor. She was nearly there. There were no smiles offered to anyone passed in the halls. Lulu had an increasingly infamous case of resting bitch face.

When she reached his assistant’s desk, she was ushered to his office, the door opened for her and shut after she’d entered.

She stared at him for a moment, tilting her chin inquisitively before going to sit in the chair across from him. “This about the meeting, Cil?”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 1:59:04 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Though their prior interactions could hardly be labelled as warm, the Quinn siblings often shared a camaraderie in their unique brand of coldness. Gavin could relax around his sister.

He is not relaxed now.

enters not the office of her brother, but of a Rocket underboss, and the cutting stare she's greeted with will certainly distinguish the two. The breadth of silence between her question and the anticipation of his answer is one wrought with tension.

"Yes." When he is angry, Gavin never yells. There is a flat, icy quality to his tone; Lulu has heard it before, though from a much younger man, when her brother would engage in verbal spar with their parents. It is not often directed at her. "I don't suppose your drinks with Councilman Silph have anything to do with that?"

He inclines his head sharply in her direction. Though he could be indicating anything on her person, there's little doubt he means the red-purple bruise on her neck.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
every night i burn, dream the black crow dream
awards
4,335 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 2:15:14 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

The tension in the room was palpable. Lulu attempted to shake it by rolling her shoulders some and fidgeting in her seat with a pressed, awkward expression of agreeability.

“Hm?”

Feeling the heat of the unknown burn through her. For a moment, she looked over herself, and then it clicked: the damn hickey. She’d attempted to cover it with makeup, but alas, it could only do so much good and the neck of her shirt rubbed it off some. She made no moves, staring at him.

“Uh…” Teeth were quickly hidden behind tight lips. Lulu hadn’t seen him like this before. She attempted to read something in him that wasn’t terrifyingly obvious; some morsel of blood-and-water redemption. She found none.

Was it really that bad, though?

How could she get out of this? White lies and half-truths, here we go. “I’m just trying to get close. Get information out of him for my projects. CEO of Silph Co. He’s got access to things that could be useful to me, too.” She shrugged, crossing her arms and cutting her eyes back at him daringly. “I feel like I should get props for dedication, honestly.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 2:32:28 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"I know who he is."

Attempts to placate Gavin are futile; he has glimpsed a crack in his sister's armor of confidence. That's the problem, having grown up together: they know each other too well. It's how she can peer past his own front and see no sympathy lurking there.

"If you've a plan so daring it involves fucking a member of the Hoenn Council, you ought to have discussed it with me first." Gavin had no desire to moderate her sex life. Honestly, the less he thought about it, the better. But he hadn't expected her to bed . Of all people. "Especially that one. Arceus, Saoirse." He's been making a conscious effort to refer to her by her new name, but he drops that in his frustration.

"Have you gotten any information, yet?" he challenges. His gaze pins her, unwavering. "How much has he gotten out of you?"
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,335 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 2:54:48 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

There was a sinking feeling delivered in those words. Who was he, then? It felt uncomfortably ominous and she wavered at it, as though picking it apart in her head would uncover some fine print explanation without having to ask for it.

Because it had been been her self-assigned job to figure it out, hadn't it?

It was then that she realized Fernando had given her nothing of value in all the nights they had sat next to each other. Despite all intentions, she hadn’t pressed him for things. Ever. Her life had been increasingly lonely, and those nights at Kaleidoscope had given her a casual friend. As meaningless as the interactions seemed, they had become her kind of release. It had been the only time she felt like she wasn’t working anymore.

Still, she racked her brain, inevitably taking too long and coming up short. She could vaguely even remember what they’d talked about that night. She knew… what superpower he would choose to have if he could. Fuck. That was... embarrassing.

“You’re putting me on the spot, right now. I can’t think straight.” She set her jaw. Admission of weakness was, perhaps, better than admission of failure. “And he hasn’t gotten shit out of me.” She shot him an offended look. Was this a lie? More grey area.

“And honestly, Cillian, it should be of no concern to you who I fuck. She was surprised at herself, but something happened. A new door opened a crack in her mind. Her lips didn’t close when they should have. “Hilarious that this is the thing that interests you about my life, finally.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 3:29:20 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Bullshit," Gavin fires back. "Brain like yours, and you expect me to believe you can't think? You haven't gotten anything, have you?"

A note of derision slips into his tone; he feels vindicated in his ire when she can't come up with a valid response.

"It's my concern when it concerns me." Had he noticed the hickey before she'd revealed her companionship with Silph, Gavin would have thought nothing of it. Perhaps foolishly, he would have expected his sister to have sense. "You're putting yourself in danger. That puts me in danger, and Rocket in turn. I warned you, Saoirse—"

His tone sharpens with an implied threat from a conversation they'd had months ago. It felt like they'd been different people, then. Rocket can protect you. I can protect you, but you've got to promise me you'll be careful.

"You're sloppy when you're drunk," he accuses, for he believes everyone is. It's why he hates to indulge past the barest hint of a buzz. "Who's to say something didn't slip out? How much do you remember?"

His hands are folded on the desk, thumbnail digging hard against the flesh of his palm.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,335 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2021 3:53:29 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

She breathed stressfully, crossing her legs and propping an arm on her knee to press a thumb to the bridge of her nose. What the fuck. What a mess.

“I’m working on it.” she assured sharply. But there was no more working on it. She’d already moved cities. She wasn’t about to tell him that, though.

“No one’s in danger. That’s a bit dramatic.” Then again, perhaps she didn’t know as well as Gavin did. She hadn’t been in Hoenn long enough. “Nothing is compromised, Cillian. It’s fine.”

The look on her face was incredulous as she continued to lie, “I remember everything. I don’t drink that much, thank you.” There was a defensiveness to her tone she couldn’t wholly hide at that last part.

While her brother could not have noticed, Lulu was constantly hungover. She’d developed a moderate problem over the last couple of months.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Feb 17, 2021 19:53:49 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Dramatic?" Gavin sneers. "Do you think Silph is a fool? I doubt you fucked him with your clothes on." His lips are curled in evident disgust. "That gang of yours branded you specifically so people would know exactly who you worked for."

In his anger, any notions of sympathy for her predicament with the Dragons are discarded. He had not missed her comment about his interest in her life, and it's left him bitter.

"You shouldn't drink at all, if these are the kinds of decisions you make."
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,335 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
POSTED ON Feb 17, 2021 21:05:42 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

This was uncomfortable on many levels. She could feel her walls slowly falling down, demons within them growling ominously. She had starved them for far too long. She didn’t have violence to channel her anger anymore. It had been threatening to boil over—for months, since the day she’d killed Natalia.

Her nostrils flared at the mention of her ‘branding’. “I highly doubt someone like is that familiar with Galarian street gangs.” She didn’t attempt to deny the risk, though. She felt it.

Then, the next bit set her all the way off.

“You know why I fucking drink Cillian? Here we go. She paused a moment, eyes going sort of wild at him as she bared her teeth in a strange grin. Her head tilted to the side at him, and suddenly, all respect seemed to fade from her.

“I drink because of you.”

She paused, shaking her head and looking at her hands briefly. She wasn’t done yet, though, and before he’d have a chance to say anything, she continued. The gates were open.

“I drink because you fucking left me there when you were all I had.” Their home in Circhester. “And you never called. I had to hunt you down.” She looked back at him for only a moment before deciding she couldn’t hold the stare. “You know, they still didn’t ever pay attention to me after you were gone. It was still like I didn’t exist. I was living in your shadow and you weren’t even fucking there.” A rough sigh escaped her and her tongue poked the inside of her cheek angrily. “And what did I do? I found you, after years of looking. A waste of my time, because then, you turned me away.”

She looked at a wall. She had never admitted this to anyone.

“You wouldn’t know what happened next because you’ve never cared. Let me tell you, then.”

“I killed for them. I killed so many fucking people, Cillian.” Her voice shook a little at that. “And then, when they finally got me, I called, because again you were all I had, as much as you had broken me.” She sneered. “Guess that’s what family is for, right?”

“You finally have allowed me in your presence, so here I am, now. Dead at this point.”

She looked back at him, cold as their mother.

“But somehow, still living in your fucking shadow.”

What was this about, again?

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Feb 17, 2021 21:21:24 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Perhaps it should wound him, to hear his sister disparage him so. Gavin is not hurt. Gavin is furious, listening to her tirade in stony silence with a gaze that never falters, not once.

It isn't until the last of the words leave her that Gavin deigns to speak, in a tone that offers no sympathy.

"Don't blame me for your mistakes."

Where did she get off being jealous of their parents treatment of him? That Saoirse had never known what went on behind closed doors is lost to him in his fury. She had seen only their watchful gaze, heard only the praise they sung in polite company — when he'd been hospitalized with a bloodied, broken arm, they'd told his sweet little sister that he'd tripped. The coffee table being replaced had likely seemed an unrelated incident in her young mind, but Cillian had been the one to sweep up broken, blood-smeared glass with his functional arm as their parents stared him down in disgust.

He'd only been sixteen.

"I turned you away to fucking protect you, Saoirse. You think I haven't killed for Rocket? I've done a lot worse." His lips form a soundless snarl, but his voice remains frighteningly level. "I didn't know you'd be foolish enough to fall in with the Dragons, instead. You're smart enough I tend to forget you have no sense."

Should she try to interrupt, or talk over him, he continues regardless of what she has to say. He'd waited patiently for her tirade, and now he would present his own.

"And what did I do, when you finally reached out? I took you in. I took you in even though it puts me in danger, even though I knew they'd come after you, and you still find a way to spit in my face."
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,335 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
POSTED ON Feb 17, 2021 21:57:50 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

This was not the first time. Lulu was used to being told not to blame others for her own mistakes, because it was something she consistently did to people. Cillian was not just anyone, though. Lulu had been convinced for a long time that he was the root of her emotional struggles. Never mind that she was simply wired differently, overall. Lulu required someone to blame.

I blame you for your selfishness. But it didn’t matter what the pot thought of the kettle. The kettle wasn’t having it.

I’ve done a lot worse.

Her eyes softened the smallest hair, if only in bewilderment. What was worse than killing? But the moment of curiosity was gone as soon as it had occurred.

She snorted hot air. “Yeh, took me in out of certain fucking death, thank you dear brother of mine.” There was a toxic level of sarcasm. She glared at him, leaning forward some. “I would’ve stayed in prison if I could have, believe me.” As though it would have been better than returning to him. This was an utter lie. Rocket and Cillian were by far preferrable to prison.

“When I had told you they were on my tail, you did nothing.” She shook her head. That had been the agreement upon her recruitment, but that didn’t mean it hadn’t stung. “The only thing you’ve ever done for me is open a door I’d been knocking on for years, and you act like I'm ungrateful. A spit in your face, you say?” She hissed steam through her teeth. “I can assure you, my indulging in a moment of not being so bloody fucking lonely has nothing to do with you.”

“You know? I bet I could disappear off the face of this planet and you wouldn’t even look for me.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Mar 9, 2021 7:49:45 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He listens to her rant, lips pressing together in distaste at her sarcasm. He huffs a sharp almost-laugh when she defends against his accusations of ingratitude.

"Believe what you like." The words are cold, his amber eyes burning with defiance. "We had a deal, and I've upheld my end of the bargain. You are the one taking unnecessary risks. If you put Rocket in danger, we cannot help you." Her new position had more pull than that of a mere grunt, and it was no longer considered strange for Rocket to extend a helping hand to their Head Scientist — but that hand would be snatched away just as quick if it put the body at risk. "If you're quite done blaming me for everything that goes wrong in your life, then tell me how we can."
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,335 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
POSTED ON Mar 9, 2021 12:31:41 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

She felt her rage fizzle and steam. For a moment her eyes inspected his, seeking familiarity that was plainly there before her that her rebelling mind did not allow her to see.

Cillian Quinn was a person lost to the past. To Lulu, that was clear. This man, Gavin Merlino, was Rocket’s Underboss. He was a dark, cold person, who did not know her that well anymore and seemed to not care to; who addressed her as someone, ultimately, employed rather than related.

This was how she read things, at least.

She snorted and sneered. We. A unit wit or against her. She was always the outsider. She read between the lines. “I don’t need your help. I don’t want it, I didn't ask for it--” She sighed, hot and angry. “You called me down here. What, then? I’ve got it under control.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,837 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Mar 9, 2021 13:18:51 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Her perception of him is neither wrong nor right. He is no longer Cillian Quinn, but neither has he given himself so wholly to this new identity to forget the one person of worth from a troubled past. Their parents had raised them cold, and Rocket had hardened him.

His own fury seems to have abated, though it is not replaced by anything warm. He stares at her as she sneers at him, seemingly unimpressed by her own.

"Not thirty seconds ago, you were complaining that I never help you," he says, canting his head. Blond hair falls into amber eyes, a visual remnant of what Quinn is left in him. His accent long since replaced by the mask. Yet in speaking with his sister, certain words find their Galarian edge unintentionally. "I warned you about Rocket, and you didn't listen. I'm warning you about Silph, now. He's not a man to toy with, and certainly not when you're piss drunk and not thinking straight."
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,335 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2021 2:16:06 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

Right then, Lulu should’ve asked why.

It would have saved her a lot of trouble.

But that was unlike her. She had to find out for herself, and no one was going to tell her something was too dangerous, especially not Cillian. Again. Once more, she would press into what he attempted to steer her from. Some things would never change, maybe.

She sat like a bull, jaw set, eyes glaring forward stubbornly at him. He sounded so fucking condescending, it made her want to scream, but she refrained. Barely, at this point. She’d finally blown her top at him for the first time in…well. Ever, that she could recall.

She snorted. “The fuck? I joined Rocket because I had to, ultimately.” It didn’t matter though, in the end. It was still her fault. What pissed her off the most was that she was maybe starting to see that, now that the words were all leaving her lips for the first time. She’d never talked it out. This didn’t make her like Gavin any more, at that moment, however. It just made her feel more explosive.

Immediately following her request to redirect the conversation to the subject at hand, she devolved back into personal matters between them, unable to contain herself. It was as though she hadn't heard him at all. Unfortunate.

“If you had never disappeared… or at least said something to me, so I didn’t spend years looking for you, I would have never been lost enough in my worthless life to ask to join you in the first place.” The pitifulness of such a sentence would not be anything Gavin was used to hearing out of her.

Before Rinc and Natalia, he’d been all she’d ever had, besides directionless talent.

Her glare passed from one of his eyes to the other, and her teeth grit before she stood. “I could’ve just said ‘fuck you.’ Her tone implied that she was saying it now.

“This is fuckin’ dumb. Bye.”

With that, she turned and left out the door, letting it slam behind her if it was possible. Her body language alone was enough to summon the attention of a nearby grunt, and she shot daggers at him until he looked away as she stormed off down the hall.