thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
preparations [c]
POSTED ON Apr 29, 2021 5:11:53 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
You home? We need to talk.

It's the only warning gets before Gavin arrives on her doorstep. It's the first time he's been to the Mossdeep penthouse and he lets out a low whistle when she shows him in. Though he tries for calm, his avatar powers betray him as miasma follows the path of his breath.

"Nice place. Hope Emma and I can find somewhere this classy when we move."

He drops the bombshell casually, as if he were talking about the weather, but his expression doesn't match his tone. It's turned grave, and it wouldn't take a blood relation to know something was up.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
every night i burn, dream the black crow dream
awards
4,347 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
preparations [c]
POSTED ON Apr 29, 2021 22:46:15 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

‘Yes.’

Oh boy.

There was barely time to start a brew before Gavin was knocking at the door. A Houndoom named Djall, went to answer it with a skillfully maneuvered roll of his horn. The underboss would likely recognize him, as he was Lulu’s most typical companion during work hours around the offices.

She didn’t acknowledge his compliment, homing in on a more important topic. “What? Why are you moving? Your house is beautiful.” Her eyes cut at him suspiciously before she turned and prepared a press. “Coffee? Water?”

Would have been tequila, but considering how their last one-on-one conversation had gone, she decided against it. In fact, her first move had been to hide the alcohol. It was why the coffee had not been done yet.

The large, high-ceilinged apartment boasted a fully open floorplan. Everything from the kitchen to the bed could be seen upon first walking in. Thus, so could Lulu, still within good earshot as she poured hot water with her back turned. She kept her most pressing question to herself, because there was no way to word it other than rudely. Cillian, why are you here?

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
preparations [c]
POSTED ON Apr 30, 2021 6:31:22 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Hey, Djall."

Gavin greets the hound with soft familiarity, reaching to scratch the beast between its menacing horns. As he and let their territorial Lycanroc share the bed with them, he was no stranger to ferocious breeds of canine.

As he expects, picks up on the hint immediately.

"Coffee," he requests, and then, "League knows about Lugia. Can't be too safe; I'm burning the alias."

His gaze wanders her space shamelessly, scrutinizing.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,347 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
preparations [c]
POSTED ON Apr 30, 2021 7:03:45 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

‘Houun.’ The dog garbled, rolling his head under the underboss’s palm.

Lulu nodded and set the kettle back, stirring grounds lightly, and sealing the lid over the beaker to let it brew. Turning her back to the counter to face him, she then crossed her arms and gave a heavy sigh.

“Well. Shit.” Reached into a drawer, retrieved a cigarette, and lit it. “Hope you don’t mind.”

“Coffee’s going to take a few minutes. Make yourself at home, of course.” She waved at the press and then maneuvered towards the bar top, leaning elbows on it and squinting eyes at him, scrutinizing the expression on his face as though it might enlighten her before he could say anything.

Yeah. They knew about Darkrai, too, but she wouldn't toss that out there just yet.

“What happened, Cil?”

Behind the bar, across from her, were barstools. If he preferred, however, there was a lounging area with an L-arranged couch and loveseat, facing a window overlooking Mossdeep. A low coffee table would be a good place to catch up.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
preparations [c]
POSTED ON Apr 30, 2021 14:18:30 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He minds. Addiction flares like an old wound, gnawing in the back of his thoughts. A cigarette sounded like a really good way to take the edge off his fucking stress right now, and if he just asked to borrow one—

His hand twitches, subtle. He shakes his head. "I don't mind."

In spite of the cigarette smoke that wreathes her, Gavin sits next to her at the bar and leans his weight against his elbows. It felt good to be off his feet; it felt as if he hadn't taken a moment to breathe since everything had happened.

"Yveltal happened." He blinks, slow. His eyes are tired. "You know about Yveltal?"

Gavin hadn't until Walsh had started talking about Xerneas and he'd done cursory research into the fairy legend. Its counterpart was the god of destruction, or perhaps death, the horrific harbinger who'd sought to bring their doom.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,347 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
preparations [c]
POSTED ON May 1, 2021 2:23:19 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

She began to bring the cigarette to her lips and then stopped short in surprise. “Yveltal—really?

“Sure, the labs are all over it considering and all of you have been out there hunting down Xerneas. Yveltal’s its counterpart.”“Oh. That makes sense.” Smoke finally made its way to her lungs.

“Well, shit. That’s not really the story, is it? Cough it up.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
preparations [c]
POSTED ON May 2, 2021 15:48:11 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Really."

It's a relief, at least, that he doesn't have to explain it to her. Made sense that she knew, in retrospect. He almost misses the science department, the wild excitement at the discovery of something knew.

"It attacked us," he says without fanfare. Cigarette smoke finds its way into his nostrils, activating an old ache. He picks at a nail as if to distract himself from the cravings, but it doesn't help. "League was buying our bullshit, and all. Except for Delarosa, but I'm going to deal with him." It's the gaze of an underboss that narrows, cold. "Might've made it out unscathed if Yveltal hadn't flown in like a Zubat from the underworld. It went mental attacking everyone around the tree."
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,347 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
preparations [c]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 22:09:25 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

She could feel Darkrai’s connection in her heart, flaring protectively. Attacked them?

A pool of black opened through a vein in the marble floor. Her god rose out of it, shadows and two sockets of ice, all expression unfathomable to man. Its mere presence would deliver the message to Lugia’s Avatar, however: it would fight for them.

Eyes shifted over as her partner made itself known, but it didn’t derail her. She shook her head. What wild news. Yveltal sounded like one hell of a scary demon, and she was an expert on scary.

“I wonder why it was after the tree…” Unnerved wonder glazed over. “Or was it protecting it?”

The smell of coffee began to waft, mingling with tobacco.

“… You still got it, didn’t you?”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
preparations [c]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 22:17:27 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Funny, Gavin thinks, how Darkrai used to frighten him. Its presence now is oddly comforting; though it does not speak, there is an understanding that passes between them. It was Rocket's ally.

Gavin inclines his head to it, acknowledging.

"Not sure. If it can speak, it said nothing to us." Lugia, on the other hand, had not hesitated to make the whole route aware of its blistering rage. If Darkrai was ice, Lugia was blazing, shadowed fire. "It attacked the tree."

As far as to what effect the attacks had on Xerneas' artifact, he couldn't say.

"Yeah, we got it." Coffee is a more soothing scent than the cigarette smoke that aches in his lungs. "Still not entirely sure what the boss wants it for. He tell you?"
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,347 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
preparations [c]
POSTED ON May 5, 2021 23:38:30 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

Darkrai did nothing to show that it understood Gavin’s gesture. Instead, it merely existed in the room, eternal robes billowing in a nonexistent wind as old as time.

Although Yveltal’s name was familiar, its legend and believed motives were not. Lulu had enough to keep track of, and she didn’t attempt to cram information on every legendary into a brain processing other formulas at max capacity.

But she did know one thing: Yveltal was a god many associated with death.

“No, but…” Was this a balancing act? “Cillian, what if it’s immortality?” Might explain why Walsh hadn’t told anyone. This wasn’t to say she was doubting Bossman. Would Darkrai even allow such a thing? Still, that would be something, wouldn’t it?

After a long moment of letting the thought sink in, she set her burning cigarette in an ashtray and turned to press the brew.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
preparations [c]
POSTED ON May 6, 2021 10:21:32 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Immortality? He hadn't considered it.

He does, now, mulls it over as a mug of hot coffee finds his hands. The burn of it against his skin, his scars, is grounding.

"Then I suppose we'd have an immortal leader." So long as he wasn't susceptible to assassination, anyway. He seems surprisingly all right with the concept, indoctrinated into Rocket as he was, but gives pause. "So long as he remains the same, I don't think it would be a problem."

Unspoken implication is clear to one who'd been raised with Gavin. He leads, I'll follow.

But then, "If he doesn't... hm."

He lifts the mug to his lips, lets liquid scald his throat.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,347 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
preparations [c]
POSTED ON May 7, 2021 0:16:39 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

She echoed him. “Hm.”

When mugs were in hand, she gestured with a nod towards the coffee table, taking the love seat and keeping mug in hand as she reclined to one side comfortably. Djall made his way over to lie at her feet.

“Just really something that it doesn’t seem so far out of the realm of possibilities these days.” They hadn’t yet talked about their mutual avatarship. They were busy bees, after all.

Her eyes lifted again to her deity, accustomed to its wordless presence. She no longer wondered as often what it was thinking. Rather, she accepted its silence and trusted its wisdom. Comfort. It had been the excursion which has solidified their bond—perhaps the one silver lining to be drawn from the mission.

“How did Lugia react?” Darkrai had seemed to act of its own volition at the workshop, attacking Tapu Fini as though it were personal. Then again, her brother had had much more time with Lugia. Surely, the legendary trusted his own judgments more than Darkrai seemed to trust hers.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
preparations [c]
POSTED ON May 7, 2021 13:22:54 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"No," Gavin agrees, "it doesn't."

A soft laugh escapes him when asked of his legendary partner, a stirring in his thoughts at the sound of its name.

"It made very clear to Yveltal that it would not see me harmed." The smile that flickers across his lips, however brief, is more genuine an expression than most in Rocket would ever see. He would never let his walls down completely, but for they were easier to scale. "That's how they know what I am, and why I'm moving."

Yet in spite of his annoyance toward Yveltal for forcing its hand, he bears no resentment for his furious patron.

"It's almost freeing," he muses. "I mean, fuck, years of careful work down the drain, but to not have to hide any more..." His canines flash, dangerous.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,347 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
preparations [c]
POSTED ON May 7, 2021 18:09:59 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

She leaned into an empty ashtray on the table, granite, dipping off remnants of her burn. “Couldn’t be down the drain if it’s done you good. Kept you alive this long.” Eyes went soft and peculiar; young. “Now you can keep yourself alive.” What a concept, to have such power. She was speaking to him as much as to herself.

The look on his face resonated with her. Hiding, in many ways, had weighed heavy on her spirit for so long.

“You said they know what you are. The League? They know you’re an avatar?”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
preparations [c]
POSTED ON May 7, 2021 20:00:16 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
For all their years apart, understands Gavin in a way few others ever will.

"Yes." His lips curl around the word, satisfied. Quinn amber drinks the light of the penthouse, shines with lifelong ambitions realised. "How far we're come."

He will keep himself alive, and fight for those who follow in his wake.

"Mm," he hums, confirming. "When Lugia showed itself and Yveltal started its attack, I used my power to the fullest extent I understand." He is not so arrogant as to think he knows all there is of Lugia's boon; far from it. "My power isn't exactly subtle," as miasma flows with the rhythm of his breath, "so they know. But not my name."

There's a long pause. Miasma clings to him.

"... Not yet."