awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
compliance
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2019 20:09:30 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
time is fleeting. the many strenuous schedules stemming from his many roles have started to overlap. while he may have handed silph co. over to , the role of council and futurist come with a stark price. circumstances like these are allowed to slip through the cracks. sootopolis has a new gym leader and fernando knows nothing about it—about her. it's about time that changes.

his opinions may be malleable but they're just as quick to judge. he keeps them secret, poised and graceful, learning to keep a stance of neutrality, one of selfishness. had made herself clear during the inauguration, as did the other gym leaders in attendance, but that's just playing their cards outright.

olivia will know as much about him as he does her. that's the only way to keep her vested and vulnerable.

politics are a game of wit and facades. demise comes to those who are bold and honest.

the ruins of her gym have no place in the sootopolis that he knows. he's used to simpler architecture, the foundation of which him and inhabit. he finds it astounding to have such infrastructure used for a place of battle—but then he remembers 's estate.

fernando enters the gym with curious eyes. the sport of challenging the gym circuit is a dream long lost to the plights of the region's current climate. he's not here to battle, necessarily, but to inspect. may appoint royalty to the throne but it will be fernando who tests their mettle and claim to fame. not all challenges must be met with battle and defeat. sometimes words are enough to dissect even the most conflicting of situations.

close tab

played by

sadsoda

sea witch
she/her
thirty two
september 23
snow point
???
???
175 height
175 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
310 posts
part of
TAG WITH @seasoda
Olivia Abbiati
compliance
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2019 23:43:22 GMT
Olivia Abbiati Avatar
drip drop. the symphony of sounds water can make echoed through the ruins, and even the entrance was muddled with wet sand, soft and cold. from one such puddle, hiding in the shadow of a pillar’s base lost to time, a vaporeon bloomed from the water itself, a haze filling the entrance and sprawling out through the whole first floor. it was now difficult to see anything not within a couple feet of oneself; fortunately, meara could see through it easily and using a quick attack, she scurried off to her mistress.

olivia hadn’t been expecting a visitor, especially so soon after the coronation. of which she still had mixed feelings on. yes, it was a show for entertainment, but it was one of power as well and it would seem her peers in the league weren’t as malleable as she had hoped. olivia had been planning to deal with the aftermath of the event and the ever going crisis that is rocket, but now she had a guest to welcome.

the extravagant wear of the coronation was gone and olivia now wore an airy dress of cream cloth with white heeled boots as she strode across the ruins to meet her visitor, a cane in hand to help with her walking. it was made of a silver gilded ashen wood wither the head shaped into the insignia of the rune badge. the mist of her pokemon clung to olivia’s shoulders like a cape as she looked to the man. “may i be of assistance?” she asked, draped in the artificial fog and seeming to be no more than a disembodied voice.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
compliance
POSTED ON Jun 14, 2019 9:28:10 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
the fog sets in and his vision becomes obscured. instinct screams at him to reach for a pokeball, to keep himself ready to retaliate. but reason triumphs and bates away at his own paranoia. he's safe here, or so he tells himself. this is nothing more then another spectacle of grandeur. if there's one thing he misses about having as petalburg's gym leader, it's her lack of theatrics.

from afar, fernando sees nothing. only the sound of her heeled boots muddle past the constant sound of droplets. it's when she calls out to him that he recognizes that someone's come to greet him. "councilman silph." he answers with his credentials, as if that explains everything. all it does it help shape the flow of the conversation, currying it toward what he wants.

"here to assess the newest gym leader: miss abbiati."

close tab

played by

sadsoda

sea witch
she/her
thirty two
september 23
snow point
???
???
175 height
175 height
awards
310 posts
part of
TAG WITH @seasoda
Olivia Abbiati
compliance
POSTED ON Jun 14, 2019 20:05:23 GMT
Olivia Abbiati Avatar
silph. that wasn’t a name she had been expecting to hear or see. there hasn’t been any mention of the councilman’s attendance at the coronation so olivia assumed that he, like most of the other league members, had better things to do. she was wrong. they all had their sailor’s song to sing and her peers saw her as a siren; olivia’s whimsical festivities and high fashion statements did nothing but keep their distrust.

but the councilman silph was different. on her trip to hoenn olivia was given a brief dossier on the hoenn league officials. names, faces, additional details when necessary and more often than not redacted information. so when it came to this fellow foreigner she knew little to nothing save for his namesake.

a high pitched whistle sliced through the empty dialogue after he introduced himself, and with the whistle, as well as dispelling the haze. the ruins were still ruins, but with the visible obstacle removed one could tell work was being done to reconstruct as excavate where needed. olivia was also revealed as she took slow, careful steps down the slippery juts of white stone that acted as stairs. her cane helped olivia keep her balance as she made her way towards fernando.

olivia offered a dip of her head in greeting. ”i wasn’t expecting any visitors, councilman, especially so soon after the coronation; so please do forgive the - ah - state of the ruins.” she began with a tired smile before adding, ”oh, and apologies on the fog, after some recent incidents i, unfortunately, must prepare for the worst.”

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
compliance
POSTED ON Jun 17, 2019 2:00:56 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
at her beckon comes a clarity that reveals what the gym truly looks like: incomplete. he's not surprised by the work in progress—it's a full time job and even then some gyms take months to complete—so long as that doesn't impede the gym leader from fulfilling their duty. it is not the structure nor place that determines the status of a match but the quality of the challenge and skill demonstrated.

"it's to be expected. there's no rush with decorating your gym." without the fog obscuring his vision, fernando's free to glance around. he does so with a peculiar interested, eyes narrowing at olivia's comment.

"recent incidents?"

close tab

played by

sadsoda

sea witch
she/her
thirty two
september 23
snow point
???
???
175 height
175 height
awards
310 posts
part of
TAG WITH @seasoda
Olivia Abbiati
compliance
POSTED ON Jun 17, 2019 15:15:05 GMT
Olivia Abbiati Avatar
her vaporeon creeped closer and closer to olivia's side, prowling in the peripheals with her midnight eyes glued onto the councilman. "rocket." olivia explained in one curt word. her cane clacked across the ancient cobbled floors of the ruins as she limped deeper into the darkness of the gym. she called out to fernando behind her, "come, come, let us sit somewhere less damp." platinum tendrils swirled behind her from a gust of cold moist wind deep within the ruins.

olivia walked, only assuming he would follow, for what other choice did he have? this stranger came to assess her. did the league truly doubt her that much? or was it her peers who feared the unknown, those who mocked her, those who were not here to "assess" olivia themselves. though, privacy did offer its own advantages. in a new land trying to rebuild her house of history; it may be beneficial to find an ally or two within the leauge. with one council person's obvious distaste for herself, olivia may be able to balance the scale with the silph fellow.

the ruins were a massive mess. darkness obscured the deep cold unearthed areas of the ruins, cyan ribbon with written warnings to not go beyond crisscrossed that portion of the gym as olivia and her company approached, before taking a sharp right towards the distant flickering of firelight. they followed a hallway with enravings of various mythos of hoenn engraved into the walls. the white stone of sootopolis told the tales of gods who shaped the earth and sea, time and space, perhaps even life itself; yet, most of the inscriptions under the detailed artwork would be difficult if not near impossible to read for one not learned in the historical academics.

finally, a door of sun-bleached driftwood met olivia's gaze. it had been left slightly ajar and her vaporeon scurried in with a quick attack before olivia had a chance to open it fully. there, in the small chamber room, the smoldering embers of a fireplace filled the room with much-needed warmth and a dim glow as to see by. candles dotted the stone desk that was covered in paperwork, a laptop lay a slumber as well. more curiously was the brazier held over the tired fireplace. it let off cool steam that twisted around the ankles of those who entered, filling the room with the slightest scent of sage.

olivia took her seat in the same ornate throne that had been present at the coronation, where it now stood behind her desk. across from her were two driftwood seats, cushioned with silver pillows and the sigil of a crown engraved into the back. "now, councilman, what is it you wish to assess?" she asked, setting the cane aside and shuffling some papers into a neat pile as to give the pair room to speak. her vaporeon found a comfortable spot near the door, eyes not once leaving fernando.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
compliance
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2019 6:55:16 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
the word rocket doesn't phase him. never did and never will. because—unlike the rest of the league—he understands their purpose. like every other organism, they have a niche in the ecosystem, a place in the grand scheme of things. being an artificial organization only makes it easier to derive their function.

they exist because he allowed them to and in exchange he needs them.

that's what makes him strong. stronger then those that fear and cower at the ever looming threat. but that also makes him humble compared to those that find glory in resistance. like all things, a tempered, moderate action is what leads to prosperity. it's also the reason why he's here trailing olivia's footsteps, unlike the others that judge from afar.

fernando follows quietly, unimpressed by the corridor and its extravagant engravings. some are familiar, etched from the basis of hoenn's mythologies. each one pieces a story from his childhood, read by elysia, others pursued by . a variety of them are foreign but fernando's curiosity is benign. olivia is not the first to devote her life to history nor will she be the last. it is the future that fernando holds a monopoly on, tucked away under his sleeve and embroidered on his forearm.

"you," he states plainly. there's no need for rehearsal or some flowery prose. like the gym leaders before her, fernando seeks to understand the newly appointed leader and what makes her tick. may sign them up willy-nilly but it is him that vets them for merit.

"and namely your gym challenge. the league allows some discretion to gym leaders and how they conduct their challenges but the core principles must be carried out. after all, our purpose is singular."

close tab

played by

sadsoda

sea witch
she/her
thirty two
september 23
snow point
???
???
175 height
175 height
awards
310 posts
part of
TAG WITH @seasoda
Olivia Abbiati
compliance
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2019 8:19:29 GMT
Olivia Abbiati Avatar
She had been the topic of most mouths as of late, but none dared say her name. A mocking joke of ‘Queen’, but her family name remained stained on their lips. At least Olivia had that to sustain her pride in these trying times. Even now, the man before her refuses to acknowledge her name. Just ‘you’.

“Me?” Olivia asked coyly, her eyes a bored baby blue. She nearly smirked at the mention of her challenge, eyes downcast. ”Our purpose is singular, is it not? You came to me seeking an audience, seeking knowledge on who this person that you know little of. We all crave something, and despite what many may say, it’s power.”

She lifted her gaze to that of Fernando, ”Power comes to those in different ways, does it not, Councilman? You find yourself in the upper echelons of the League, perhaps that’s what power is to you. Who am I to say? What I seek is knowledge; that is power.”

Olivia rolled her neck, locks of moonbeams bouncing with the movement, and said, “And so we find ourselves with a singular purpose: knowledge and or power. Knowledge on the up and coming trainers to test their skills, and the power to influence them to the League’s agenda. So while my challenges may deal with intellect more so than the purity of battle; have no doubt the querent who wishes to battle me will be tested.”

Next came a crack as Olivia twisted her neck this way and that. That crown, however briefly she bore it, was heavy and had strained her neck. “I do hope that assures you of our singular purpose.” She said, her eyes at glancing at the man.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
compliance
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2019 4:48:56 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

a light voice reiterates her talking point, 'well, you're not wrong.' however, her emboldened stance of professing it aloud has fernando fortify his own thoughts. the women of sootopolis are dauntless if not downright imprudent. it parallels who would confess her own erotic fantasy of a coup, seizing power to sate her need to bate back the encroaching reach of rocket.

it is the third sister of sootopolis who holds a measured hand, often time his own.

fernando bides his time, holds his tongue as olivia lulls him with the siren's call. the longer she monologues the more descriptive her caricature. most characterize fernando as a many of few words but the truth is hidden behind his intent. let her speak so that he can judge.

only when prompted does he take his turn.

"then enlighten me, miss abbiati. what does your gym challenge entail?"

close tab

played by

sadsoda

sea witch
she/her
thirty two
september 23
snow point
???
???
175 height
175 height
awards
310 posts
part of
TAG WITH @seasoda
Olivia Abbiati
compliance
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2019 18:12:37 GMT
Olivia Abbiati Avatar
she would humor him. "a riddle, a battle, and a game of wit; all challenges to prove those worthy of the rune badge." olivia said coolly, her voice calm and collected. the sage that steamed nearby had eased the tension she still felt after her encounter with stone. she continued, her voice light and airy like a summer breeze, "i test them on the knowledge of their home - our - home. the legends. the myths. why, what else would be exptected from a professor turned gym leader, no?"

olivia continued, "though, options are available for those who aren't the brightest chinchou in the sea. my gym trainers are available to challenge should they fail or dismiss the riddle or a task from the crown: all having to do with protecting the city. once they have overcome their two hurdles, they then may challenge me directly." she reached over for a piece of paper, names of challengers listed but discreetly turned from the councilman's view. "however should they have lore, knowledge, that i find of particular interest the trainer may challenge me directly - once we discuss their expertise or research."

she turned the paper back over, so the names were hidden. "so that, is in essence, my challenge. three trials to prove one's own knowledge, and then the true challenge with myself; for as i said earlier, knowledge is power." olivia said, her pale blue eyes looking the man over. "yet, i cannot help but feel there are other reasons you have come to me. even i can feel the undertow that flows just under the surface of the league, as new as i am to hoenn."

olivia folded her hands over one another and set them on the desk, those ocean eyes looking deep into the fernando's own eyes and asked, "so tell me, councilman, what is it i can do for you?" her right brow arched ever so slightly, "or what can we do for each other?"

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
compliance
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2019 7:16:43 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

"interesting—debatable but interesting."

fernando holds no qualms with being blunt. his position as councilman is stable, lived long enough to meet the next iteration of the administration with . his time is limited and there's little patience he has for formalities. it's better to give it to her straight.

"worthy of the rune badge, knowledge of their home, sharing research."

fernando repeats her phrasing with his own emphasis. not mocking, nor scolding, just in a monotone drag to help digest the influx of information. his eyes return the gaze and shimmer with an intensity that comes with acknowledgement. "my purpose is singular, no different than the other gyms i visit. at least the first time."

her prompting scours for something more, something that fernando is not yet comfortable enough to divulge. there's only so much they can do at this level of acquaintanceship. and, even then, there's a level of distrust—not out of loyalty but from the aspect of how confrontational olivia has been so far. with back in her seat and dead, the paradigm of power shifts, tilted forever in the scale's favor.

"and that is to ensure the gym challenge falls within the bound of what proves beneficial to the league. tell me miss abbiati, what do you think the responsibility of a gym leader is—with the power invested to them by the league?"

close tab

played by

sadsoda

sea witch
she/her
thirty two
september 23
snow point
???
???
175 height
175 height
awards
310 posts
part of
TAG WITH @seasoda
Olivia Abbiati
compliance
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2019 19:21:27 GMT
Olivia Abbiati Avatar
olivia looked at the man and asked, her brow still arched, ”the power invested by the league?” she cocked her head to the left, her platinum curls settling on her pale shoulders. “i care not for how the other leaders my act, but my responsibility as a gym leader is to my city, councilman, and while indeed the league may have appointed me; that is the extent of their power in this place. my home will be protected by my power: my authority, my people, and my pokemon.” olivia stated plainly, eyes locked on to fernando.

”let there be no doubt of my loyalty to the league, but do not presume i owe them,” she paused, ocean eyes narrowing, ”or you, anything. i was chosen for this position because of my prowess or knowledge, of which i do not know, but it was for a reason. i uprooted myself from a region free from rocket, a respected professor to lend aide to the hoenn league, councilman.” olivia continued, her voice frosty like her home of snowpoint, “the league will find tested and ready trainers who owe their loyalty to the league, and ready to face off against rocket. that is what the league benefits from my gym.”

”what is it that you benefit, councilman, from your position?” she twisted one of her silver strands of hair between her fingers, ”or, perhaps i should rephrase that: what does the league benefit from you in your position?” the tide of the conversation was turning, and despite the calming sage spilling into the room, olivia could sense the tension growing. he was here for a reason. he was here to judge, yes, but she felt he wanted something more. the abbiati woman felt a craving from the man, not so much unlike her own.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
compliance
POSTED ON Jun 26, 2019 7:18:00 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

fernando's temper is a smoldered flame that requires the most incendiary fuel to ignite. what sets ablaze is a muddled history of bastardized family ties and a besmirched legacy tainted by outsiders. outside of that specific scenario, it is rare for fernando to exhibit anything more than a mocking condescension. but what olivia does is not only a front to the league—which he cares little about—but the foundation upon which his powers rest. to slander the league is to slander his throne. years of blood and sacrifice will not be disrespected, not by a foreigner, not by a mere stranger.

olivia may paint herself to be queen of sootopolis but before her is the king of hoenn, unimpressed by her arrogance that has little regard for the small portion of the world she now calls home.

"sootopolis? your city?"

fernando does not let the question linger unanswered. his use of rhetoricals are used to taunt the misguided, to shower disdain onto the sea witch and bathe her in a tongue lashing shaped to lecture the professor with a history lesson.

"do not misunderstand, miss abbiati, the people of sootopolis are many and varied."

it is rare for fernando to smile, much less so genuinely, but the fox grin he wears hides a sinister edge that matches the sharpedo that lurk beyond the water's edge. he smells blood in the water and he won't let it escape. not without a bite.

" alone had the hearts of many. his death brings grievances that have yet to be fully mourn. his people will fall in line under long before they bow to a foreigner, no matter what their origins trace back to."

he doesn't let up.

" , the head scientist of this region, is adored by many. her reach may be more humbled but that resonates with the locals. her fame is a shining beacon of pride and joy for the city. she too will command a healthy legion of sootopolis with her influence, which align closer to my own than anyone else."

and that's not even considering his colleague, the sole council woman, the same woman who's made it public how she will not falter under olivia's metaphorical claim to the throne.

"and . make no mistake, my interest are my own but should she push i'd have no choice but to align myself with her. , the other councilman, is no different."

his smile diminishes, feigning a look of curiosity, as if pondering.

"and i don't doubt your knowledge, nor your credentials as an infamous professor—although, admittedly, i am unfamiliar with your work, along with anything else that happens outside of hoenn or kanto—but when you claim to be someone who uproots themselves to come lend us aid, the others won't see that."

fernando speaks from experience. the one common ground they will find is being judged not as a person but as an outsider, a person from a far off land who has yet to prove themselves. over time, he's earned his infamy through numerous exploits and unparalleled accomplishments.

as for olivia? none to speak of, at least to his knowledge, as limited as it is.

"what the people see is a foreigner, someone who doesn't understand their problems, and neglected hoenn for greener pastures. i say this not because this is my viewpoint but because i was subjected to the same scrutiny that you will undoubtedly come to face."

her voice goes cold and his only heats up. he's on fire.

"to claim independence from the league is to claim independence from the shining stars of sootopolis and the biggest players of hoenn. are you truly ready for such a task?"

the smile returns and fernando extends his open hand, palm facing up, as if to present her with exactly what she'll have to face.

"i have over two hundred pokemon at my disposal. a gym leader i hand picked has the same. the rest of the region, as well as many of your citizens, will come down on sootopolis if they're told the league is facing a coup. can you protect against that?"

his hands close into a fist, reeled back and disappearing behind an even wider grin, elastic, confident.

"can your power, your authority, your pokemon, stand against hundreds of trainers and thousands of pokemon who come knocking down your door? i'm sure you heard about slateport."

fernando laughs to himself, silent but jubilant, as if telling a quiet joke between friends.

"can you and a few gym trainers stand up to an entire region?"

he maintains eye contact, if only because the brazen audacity of his words need a confirmation, to read her response before she can act.

"food for thought, miss abbiati, haha. between colleagues, surely."

the tides may turn but the waves only rise as the conversation is turned around. to ask any of the other councilmen the same question would've been considered a mistake. to question fernando silph, a man who's accomplishment are second only to his amount of pokemon and money, is an absolute folly that shows not only her ignorance on the matter but how much leeway he holds over her.

"what does the league benefit from me as councilman? an interesting and valid question."

what could fernando silph, ceo of silph co., have done for the league during his tenure in the region?

"upon coming to the hoenn region, i have only rescued a research team from an enraged regirock the size of your gym while it killed numerous pokemon and people alike, coordinated a rescue operation for the survivors while compiling research on the incidence, saved multiple high ranking politicians during the invasion of slateport, provided security detail for the aurorus winter ball, saved numerous individuals from being kidnapped by team rocket, kidnapped by wild pokemon, attacked by wild pokemon, and entering rocket territory, along with recruiting one of the most infamous gym leaders in the region, and apprehending rockets such as the assassin , convicted murderer @devo1 , numerous grunts, while stopping many of their operations."

fernando pauses, not because he's done, but because he needs to breath.

"naturally, there's less flashy accomplishments but being a man of the people means getting dirty and doing what needs to be done. it's rare for a man of my position to bother himself with small tasks but that's how i benefit the league."

oh, and how could he have forgotten.

"between that, the numerous pokemon i've caught as the head of hoenn's military, and the money i've put into the league through silph co., it's technologies, and resources, i think i do my fair share."

it's almost impossible to wipe that shit eating grin off his face. it almost feels like he's scolding all over again.

"but that's just my opinion."

close tab

played by

sadsoda

sea witch
she/her
thirty two
september 23
snow point
???
???
175 height
175 height
awards
310 posts
part of
TAG WITH @seasoda
Olivia Abbiati
compliance
POSTED ON Jun 26, 2019 20:30:39 GMT
Olivia Abbiati Avatar
olivia dipped her head out of respect for her predecessor , a reminder of a project that had been planned upon her appointment and was near completion. then there was the professor he named dropped; was amongst the first to request a challenge and olivia was looking forward to their battle and a chance to collaborate research.

the moonbeam bounced back into place as olivia stopped twisting the lock of hair, her downcast eyes glancing up at the mention of . a threat, apparently, but olivia had dealt with worse. as for the other, this , perhaps she would have an audience with him as well.

the eye of the storm had passed, and the hurricane that was fernando’s pride fell upon olivia with no qualms or hesitation. a heinous smirk found itself staring at olivia as fernando listed off his many accomplishments that she, in truth, knew nothing about. the information she was given on her colleagues was little more than a resumé. olivia listened carefully as he boasted. had he not been paying attention earlier?

olivia sighed when he finally finished. the smirk from earlier seemed to have grown and as far as it could, perhaps being so fat headed gave the man the ability to do so. she laid her hands upon the cold stone desk and lifted her bored blue eyes to fernando. "you claim to have no doubt in my knowledge, yet you truly believe i would move against the league?”

she continued, her midnight eyes dead set onto fernando, “the very first thing i said was that knowledge is power and you, councilman, have provided a cornucopia of it. all i knew before your boast was your surname, that alone gave me an idea as to the kind of person you might be. the kind of man you might be. i said not to question my loyalty to the league, and i mean it; yet you? this man who is the head of the hoenn military, who has amassed allies, wealth, technology; all in the name of the league?” she let out a calm cool chuckle, as cold as her childhood home.

“you are a power hungry man who seeks to consolidate his power and assure it isn’t at risk. not so different from a rocket grunt, climbing the ranks, are you, councilman? someone who is the ‘man of the people’." another collected chortle came from her plump pink lips.

“you may have come to ‘assess’ me, but i believe my own assessment has been made. this city may not remember my family, nor may they even care for me as they do others who have made this place their home; but i assure you this, councilman. this city, those who love and even those like the councilwoman who have their distaste of me, will be safe.”

olivia blinked her long curled lashes, only accentuating the frosty blue steel her eyes took on, and said flatly, “whether that threat be rocket...” she looked fernando over, “or otherwise.”

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
compliance
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2019 6:43:13 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

he will not grant her the same passage of rhetorical questions that he himself employs. "proclaiming autonomy is a move against the league. disputing and refusing to follow league standards and principles is a move against the league," he answers with a definitive order.

the scales shift and fernando sees not olivia but . the leaders of sootopolis have always been an audacious bunch but he will have none of it. navel tower had taken their previous one. he will be the one to end the current. she will bend or he will break her.

"cornucopia?"

he laughs to himself. it almost reminds him of . people of academia know the rules of books and history but never the stories of the streets. "you come to this land, you take up a position of power, you claim it to be your own yet you know nothing about its political climate nor its people?"

he clicks his tongue against the roof of his mouth, realizing how dry she's left him. his eyes narrow and he leans in, quieting his tone to something more suitable for an inside audience. "you say to trust your allegiance—prove it. sacrifice your time, sacrifice your life, and then come talk to me about the type of person i am."

"kanto fell before rocket. slateport fell before rocket. people died, cities were razed, and chaos became the norm. allies, wealth, technology are all tools used to combat the invading criminals and you attribute it to being power hungry. hoenn failed without it and it will fail again without it."

he shakes his head in disapproval, floundered by the naivety he pieces inside his head.

"i am here to assess you and your gym because despite the faith that has in an honorable league, i know better. integrity, respect, knowledge. none of these will prevent slateport. none of these have prevented another slateport"

by now his foot is tapping as his irritation settles into his features.

"i come to you miss abbiati not because i am worried about sootopolis. i come to you because i worry about hoenn and the systems we have in place that stifle talent."

not all gym leaders are the same. some follow his word and are straight forward. others are combative and hoist their own ideals. neither matter because fernando will only grant them the privilege of socratic method once. anything more requires more patience than his time has to offer.

"a gym leader's job is not to test trainers with knowledge of academia or research, respect for their pokemon, or compassion."

his idle hand reaches into his pocket and sets mauville's badge onto the table. out of all the gym leaders, has been the most trustworthy. he holds her to a pedestal, the perfect role model for what a gym leader should be.

"a gym leader's job is to vet and teach trainers about pokemon battling. to test their skills, talent, and aptitude for pokemon battles. you are the first line of defense against those that wish to wear the mantle of champion but don't have the strength. you are the one we trust with raising and shaping the talent of the region."

fernando's smiles again but this time with a genuine attempt to seem sincere.

"we grant gym leaders the privilege of tailoring their challenge to incorporate aspects they find important—"

his voice becomes taunt. olivia had mentioned that they could circumvent her task and her riddle by challenging her gym trainers but the fact that she had mention two hurdles is something he keeps in mind.

"—but i don't care if the challenger is a ten year old boy from pallet town. do not let me find out you gated the best battler that hoenn has ever seen because he does not know about the history of some made up pokemon that no one's seen for hundreds of years or that he refuses to be used for free labor."