snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
always an
angel, never a god.
5’8” height
5’8” height
oh, drunken gods of slaughter, you know i've always been your favorite daughter.
awards
4,094 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
colors [open]
POSTED ON Sept 27, 2019 22:05:49 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","anotheronedark"]

tag
open
notes
henlo idk how to do starters???
The heat is sweltering.

She puffs her cheeks in irritation, sweat beading on her upper lip. Part of her never thought that she would miss the freezing cold of Snowpoint City but boy, was she wrong. The sudden desire for falling snow and shiver-inducing temperatures has never been stronger. Of course, her Ninetales is loving this. The poor thing always had such a hard time in the cold back home...

"Enjoying yourself?" she muses, glancing to her right as the fire fox saunters beside her. A coo is the only response, paired with a gentle puff of a fur adorned chest. Illie fights the urge to roll her eyes, an easy giggle passing through slightly parted lips. The personality on this ball of fluff will possibly be the death of her. Prim and proper with a sassy attitude. It's really no wonder the two are thick as thieves. She supposes it's due to having raised the fire type since she was a small Vulpix, barely able to stand on wobbly little legs. "Come on, let's finish this last bit of research."

She had originally come up here to see the differences in comfort for both her Ninetales and her Alolan Vulpix. Naturally she would assume that the fire type would feel the most comfortable around hotter temperatures but her Vulpix is a bit of a mystery... Fire and ice, both of the same breed, but vastly different at the same time. The excitement that slowly bubbles in her as she processes more theories for just how different their genetics can be is enough to cause her to pick up the pace with an extra amount of pep in her step. Of course, this means she sweats just a little bit more. The heat is certainly not something she's used to but it's surprisingly manageable for the time being. Perhaps that's due to thick waves being kept off her neck in a loose ponytail and the freedom of bare legs from her shorts. Add in the somewhat cooling function of her cropped tank top and it's almost enough to help with the whole sweating issue.

"Just a little further," she mumbles, more to herself than Ninetales. She hadn't even thought of how far of a journey it is to the top. Man, what a poor calculation on her part. At least she had the decency to keep her Vulpix within the safety of his pokeball. Oh god, if she had forced the little ice type to walk this hot path with them... Well, she probably wouldn't be able to even look at her reflection without crying.

Up ahead, a small clearing sits surrounded by ash. A good place to stop, she supposes. Besides, it's not like she needs to go all the way to the top of the mountain just to judge her Pokemon's reactions. Here is perfect and closer to the base of the mountain. A shorter walk for her already tired legs. "Okay," she chirps, turning on her heels to face the fire type with a gentle smile. "You ready?" Her words are met with a nod and a soft chirp of Ninetales' own. Black ponytail bobbing in acknowledgement, Illeana snags a pokeball from her belt and releases the other subject of this current research project. The Alolan Vulpix appears in a flash of light, all six curly tails wiggling in excitement. "Let me know if this is too much," She crouches down as she talks, voice soft and comforting as she reaches an idle hand to rub circles in the curly fur atop the ice type's head. A nod is the only response and she nods back before moving to sit in front of the two, hands moving to her bag for a notebook and pen. Only a few minutes would be sufficient for further analysis, right? Any sign of distress from her Vulpix and she's sprinting down the mountain for the nearest Pokemon Center...

The ghost of a smile curls at her lips as she sits, eyes focused solely on the duo before her. If another were to approach, she wouldn't notice, too busy between observing her Pokemon and scribbling thoughts into the small journal clutched in one hand.

[attr="class","wizzcred"]❤ wizz

[newclass=".charactername"] [/newclass]
[newclass=".charactername b"]color:#c25757;font-weight:lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=".charactername i"]color:#c25757; font-style:italic; [/newclass]
[newclass=".charactername a"]text-transform:uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

light

dragon king
he/him/his
twenty-four
august 5th
blackthorn city
demisexual
civilian
senior ranger
single
333 height
333 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
777 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mateo
mateo martinez
colors [open]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2019 0:22:38 GMT
mateo martinez Avatar

[attr="class","merkI"]
[attr="class","merkpokesI"]

a dragonite would come crashing the party. landing before the trio without warning. hefty breathing, he'd turn in search of something. wondering when its trainer were to arrive.

a grunt was heard from behind. upon the side of the grassy terrain they resided, a male would emerge. climbing without any sort of gear. he was bare, and with his final tug the trainer would grace the group with his presence. "phew!" mateo uttered, "that was a workout." wiping his brow, he'd look for the dragonite who was behind only to find him in front of the group.

"aye! you were suppose to be climbing with me, what's up with the cheating?!" he shouted at his dragonite. only for a sceptile, soon after, emerge beside mateo within a ninja-like manner. "oh, sceptile. done doing your thing?" sceptile responded in name. "nice, but back to--" oh? were they interrupting something?

for today's attire, at first glance, one could notice that mateo adorned an open happi that could be seen huddled over his back, arms within their appropriate sleeves. white bandages were seen around his stomach known as a sarashi wrap. loose, beige colored, drawstring bermuda shorts were worn for his bottom. for footwear he wore a pair of wooden geta's.

"ooh! yo!" he'd greet the group nonchalantly. "what'cha writing there?" he asked the female. "this is my first time seeing people here during training hours. hell, even when i was camping here i didn't remember seeing people up here around these hours." sniffing the air, her scent was also new. "yeah, you're a new person!" he grinned widely, "so what'cha writing, bookworm?" he coined her.

notes: hi. i should probably post in your other open with , but he's so swamped with threads. so this is me trying to pardon my sins. :sob:

[attr="class","merktagI"]

[newclass=.merkI] width: 330px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 11px; text-align: justify; color: #a3a3a3; padding: 20px; line-height: 12pt; margin-top: -10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.merkI b] color: #DEA02C; font-size: 12px; [/newclass] [newclass=.merktagI] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.merktagI a] background: #2e2e2e; padding: 10px; border: 1px solid #252525; text-transform: uppercase!important; font-family: 'roboto'; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold; color: #aaa; letter-spacing: 1px!important; [/newclass] [newclass=.merkpokesI] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.merkpokesI img] padding: 0px 5px 5px 0px; background: #2e2e2e; border: solid 1px #252525; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
always an
angel, never a god.
5’8” height
5’8” height
oh, drunken gods of slaughter, you know i've always been your favorite daughter.
awards
4,094 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
colors [open]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2019 1:16:50 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar

tag
notes
<3
She blinks. Once, twice, even three times.

The sudden onslaught of noise that comes with the unseen interruption is overwhelming, even for her little Vulpix. He yelps, ice forming in little spikes along his tails as he moves to cower behind Ninetales. The fire type, however, merely swishes her tails in annoyance with crimson eyes narrowing. The distaste for being interrupted by the large dragon is apparent but she makes no movements, preferring to see how her trainer reacts.

Illeana, however, immediately scrambles to her feet. The notebook and pen drop in a flurry of motion, forgotten in the commotion. "I," She starts, gunmetal eyes wide with a mixture of shock and confusion. He spoke so much in such a short period of time... How? People actually do that? "Did you just call me bookworm?" The name is weird, possibly as weird as he is. Since when is it frowned upon to enjoy books? Besides, she isn't even reading... Now, anyway.

She bends to scoop the abandoned materials off the ground, gently blowing ash from the open pages of the journal. "It's research," Illie murmurs softly, moving to collect the frightened Vulpix from behind Ninetales without a second thought. The small fox squirms in her arms for a moment before relaxing at the gentle circles she begins to rub on his underbelly. Over the years, she has learned the best way to calm the anxious Pokemon by soothing it with pets and affection. Part of her wonders how she manages to show the kindness she has never been shown for her Pokemon but the answer is simple. She is different from her past, her upbringing. Ignoring the option to get lost in her thoughts, she steps closer with Ninetales on her heels, eyeing the striking blue of his hair as she approaches.

"How'd you know I'm a new person? Curious," she quirks an eyebrow, tilting her head just enough for the ponytail at the top of her head to swish against the back of her neck. It tickles the nerves there just enough for her to suppress a little laugh. "You train up here? How? It's so hot," her nose scrunches at the last word and she can't mask the discomfort on her features. Heat just isn't her thing. She prefers the frigid temperatures of the snow to this but not everyone is like her. She just needs to remind herself of that whenever this happens... Besides, people are used to casual conversation. She, on the other hand, is utterly lacking in social situations and that much is a little obvious with how uncomfortable she looks. "Um," she begins, unsure of if she should offer a hand in greeting. Instead, she tightens her grip on her Vulpix just a little bit even if it's just for the cold temperature he's currently emitting. "I'm Illeana Reyes. It's a pleasure, sir." She dips into a half bow and straightens almost immediately, cheeks flooding with the faint hue of a blush. Do people even bow anymore? God, she's so bad at this.

[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

light

dragon king
he/him/his
twenty-four
august 5th
blackthorn city
demisexual
civilian
senior ranger
single
333 height
333 height
awards
777 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mateo
mateo martinez
colors [open]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2019 1:50:21 GMT
mateo martinez Avatar

[attr="class","merkI"]

watching as she scrambled to gather her material. his pokemon watched without so much as a word. sceptile eyeing the matured kitsune and her younger fledgling. dragonite simply fell into a daze, looking up at the passing clouds.

"i saw you had a book. so i assumed you were reading up here, so bookworm!" he'd hoped they weren't disturbing her quiet time. but the female didn't seem to be look all that perturbed. it was then that had questions of her own to ask. but he wouldn't interrupt, awaiting for her to finish.

both sceptile and mateo were surprised to watch the female bow. for what reason did she do that? hell if he knew. it was pretty weird, but maybe she was a princess of sorts herself. either way she looked uncomfortable. mateo scratched the side of his cheek, unsure of how to respond.

the effort she put in wouldn't go ignored. therefore, a soft smile was given. touching the tip of his nose, mateo would respond to her introduction with a simple answer, "when you're raised around dragons you kinda pick up a thing or two." a cheeky grin had been thrown her way, "i got a strong sense of smell. it's nothing amazing, but i have a pretty good memory of people's scent. it's a pretty weird talent that i've never shared, so you're the first!" mateo chuckled.

continuing, he'd introduce himself. a right hand was brought over his heart, his head lowered and right foot raised to the tip. he'd introduce himself as, "mateo martinez, princess reyes." his left eye closed as he peeked with his right. raising himself back to normal in order to see her response, "either you've never been on this side of mt. chimney or my nose is broken, princess reyes. if so, my bad for callin' ya new!" oh, he'd forgotten to also answer her other question. massaging the nape of his neck, he wondered how to explain this.

"and to answer your other question, it's pretty easy to train up here. i think my body's just gotten used to it, which isn't good when i think about it." he needed to put himself through more intensive workout. this wasn't gonna cut it anymore. maybe he should invite his new companion here to get a taste of the action.

notes: :sob:

[newclass=.merkI] width: 330px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 11px; text-align: justify; color: #a3a3a3; padding: 20px; line-height: 12pt; margin-top: -10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.merkI b] color: #DEA02C; font-size: 12px; [/newclass] [newclass=.merktagI] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.merktagI a] background: #2e2e2e; padding: 10px; border: 1px solid #252525; text-transform: uppercase!important; font-family: 'roboto'; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold; color: #aaa; letter-spacing: 1px!important; [/newclass] [newclass=.merkpokesI] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.merkpokesI img] padding: 0px 5px 5px 0px; background: #2e2e2e; border: solid 1px #252525; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
always an
angel, never a god.
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,094 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
colors [open]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2019 3:15:09 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar

tag
notes
she awkward whoops
The reasoning makes sense, she supposes. Better than other nicknames he could have given her. Maybe bookworm isn't too bad after all?

The blinking is back. Did he just say... Raised around dragons? Is that even possible? She stares, unsure if she's more curious or confused. Perhaps even a mixture of both. "Dragons? I thought they were extremely rare? She knows it's rude to both stare and basically question someone's entire existence yet here she is, ignoring everything her parents had taught her in regards to politeness. It's just so intriguing. Certainly not every day you meet someone who was raised so close to the elusive type. "How does that happen? I mean," Illie fidgets again, the icy fox in her arms glancing up at her curiously. "I'm sorry, that's rude of me. I'm just really curious about how that came about. I've never heard of a human being allowed so close to them without being their trainer." The urge to ask him for all the details is difficult to hold back. It could be an interesting take on her research. Truthfully, she had never thought of a human being raised in such a setting before and if she was being honest, it could have definitely had an impact on his development. Besides, she is awfully interested in if he trained that keen sense of smell or if it happens to be a genetic predisposition that makes it possible. Although, most of her knowledge of dragons comes from a rather old, outdated book so she certainly wouldn't be surprised if the world evolved in that way without her knowing. She was a shut-in for most of her childhood and the rest of the world outside of Sinnoh was relatively unknown besides books on some regions.

"I'm honored you shared that with me," she murmurs, a soft smile gracing her lips. "It's a very interesting ability you've got there. I'd be proud of it if I were you." Her words are honest as she raises a hand to scratch behind Ninetale's ear, the fire type relaxing at the touch.

His next motion catches her off guard but not as much as his words. Princess? Her cheeks deepen in color, a cherry red spreading across the pale skin. Are princesses even still a thing? She is anything but royal. Polite, perhaps, definitely sheltered, but no royalty. Besides, she owns more red than purple clothing. Oh no, you've got the wrong idea!" The words are rushed out in one frantic breath, matching the urgency at which she waves the hand she was previously using to pet Ninetales. "I'm far from a princess, I promise!" Being mistaken as a princess is definitely a compliment, sure, but she could never accept such a statement. It'd be like lying, right? He's too kind to fool into thinking she's someone she's not.

He isn't too far off with his statement. She doesn't usually travel around here, preferring to stick closer to larger cities than mountains and rugged terrain. Besides, the heat is pretty unbearable for someone raised in the cold. "Well, you're not wrong in assuming I'm new I suppose. New to this area, yes. I come from Sinnoh originally," She replies before a soft, tinkering laugh escapes her throat. "I could never survive in this heat. I don't know how you do it!" Really, she has no idea how anyone could stand such high temperatures. Her Ninetales loves it but her and the rest of her Pokemon? They're not nearly as adept to this climate. Even the normal tropical climate is difficult to handle, let alone such a close proximity to Mt. Chimney. Huh, now that she thinks about it... The name is certainly fitting. "I take it that you train here a lot then? Doesn't that get tiring after a while?" She faintly registers the knowledge that she's more than likely asking too many questions but she's curious by nature and it's not every day she runs into another person, let alone one that is willing to engage her in conversation. "Do you actually like training or is it just something you do to pass time?"

close tab

played by

light

dragon king
he/him/his
twenty-four
august 5th
blackthorn city
demisexual
civilian
senior ranger
single
333 height
333 height
awards
777 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mateo
mateo martinez
colors [open]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2019 4:06:16 GMT
mateo martinez Avatar

[attr="class","merkI"]

the princess was a strange one, but not too strange. a lot of people were shocked to learn about mateo's birth. she was just a bit more expressive with her astonishment. she was an interesting belle. the moment she finished her spiel, he'd let out a hearty laughter in response. "you're a weird one, princess!" she was definitely an oddball.

"but that explains why you're so shocked, you're from sinnoh." this was his first time meeting someone who wasn't from kanto, johto, or hoenn. talk about far from home, but not farther than balder who hailed from the alola region. "it's no wonder you're confused about the whole 'dragon' thing. i'm from blackthorn city, born and raised in johto." so they weren't too far apart from one another. sinnoh was, after all, northeast of johto and kanto. their regions vastly different.

"it's okay though, princess," a finger was placed at the center of his lips, "you can keep your secret safe with me, 'sinnoh princess'." air quotes were used. joking with the female, he'd continue, "you could say i'm no different from you in the 'heir' department." he'd transition the conversation over to her next question, "training is a natural part of me. i've pretty much trained my body, and with dragons, since i was a kid. raising dragons is no way in hell easy." he'd whistle for his dragonite to come toward.

once the dragon was near, he'd pat his head. "dragonite was the first dragon i raised." and turning toward sceptile, he'd add, "sceptile as well. they're both my precious draconian brethren who i cherish." turning back to illeana, he'd continue on, "when they fight, i fight. what they feel, i feel. there's more to being a trainer than just wielding pokemon, y'know? dragons definitely show us that." what may have sounded silly to her didn't to mateo. he'd continue to stroke the head of his sceptile, all while massaging underneath sceptile's chin with his other hand.

"i also train because i can't save anybody if i'm weak." mateo began to do stretches as he spoke. making sure so that his muscles didn't become stiff, "if i'm weak then my pokemon are weak. if i'm in tiptop shape, then my pokemon are in tiptop shape." mateo chuckled lightly, halting his stretching as he'd bring his attention back to illeana. "so sinnoh princess, it's my turn to question you. what's a gal like yourself doing up here? hell, what're you doing away so far from home? you a coordinator?" she didn't seem like the type to challenge gyms, but looks could be deceiving.

notes: i love her, it's okay. she's gr8

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
always an
angel, never a god.
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,094 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
colors [open]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2019 20:00:53 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar

tag
notes
precious beans
Illie bristles slightly at the laughter, the words causing a bout of insecurity to bubble to the surface. Is he merely making fun of her by calling her weird? Or is it simply just a fact that he's stating? She knows she's a bit odd but isn't everyone? Although, she supposes he's right. Not everyone has the social skills of a stump and so she merely puts on another smile, ignoring the little voice screaming that he truly is mocking her.

"Ah," she murmurs, nodding in understanding. "That explains it, then. I've only read of the Johto region." Books are certainly reliable for facts and tidbits of information about a variety of topics but they seem to lack the experience required to fully understand the subjects. It's no wonder she has absolutely no idea what Blackthorn City even looks like let alone what the culture of the city contains. She could probably recite the population level of Johto from memory but otherwise, she's clueless about the region as a whole. Hm... Perhaps she'll be more inclined to learn about the other regions now that she knows it helps to make easier conversation with someone once you actually understand a bit about their homelands.

She fights the urge to roll midnight eyes at his remarks. Sinnoh Princess. It's incredibly rude to be so blatant with her lack of appreciation for the nickname, and if her mother saw her even attempt to roll her eyes at someone else she'd get an earful but lord... She doesn't know which would be worse at this point: continuing to allow him to believe she's some Princess or get screamed at for rudeness. Instead, she laughs and offers a, probably horrible, attempt at a wink. Her ponytail sways in the sudden breeze of hot air as she speaks up. ""I can imagine. Dragons are incredible creatures, I doubt they'd just let anyone raise them let alone train with them." His Pokemon look strong and happy by his side. An admirable feat for anyone, sure, but something tells her that he achieves it with an ease she has never known. Just from conversing with him is enough for her to understand that this man is something to be in awe about, if not from his curious history than from his prowess as a trainer alone.

His Dragonite moves closer to them upon his call and she watches with a fond gleam in her eye as Mateo pats the light yellow dragon atop the head. The clear bond between this man and his Pokemon is refreshing, certainly not something she is accustomed to seeing. She was raised to believe Pokemon were tools and to know that others do not share the same sentiment as her parents is, well, heartwarming.

Illeana lets him finish his words, silently listening with an occasional nod. What he says certainly makes sense, at least to her. Raising Pokemon and training beside them is something not everyone can do. Just look at her parents, for example. They put their faith in pure science and using Pokemon as pawns to further their careers. Sometimes it's hard to believe that they are the odd ones in this world, outcasts in their beliefs that Pokemon aren't as special as they seem. "That's a good outlook to have, Mateo," she begins, her eyes finding his in a moment. "Truthfully, if everyone could understand their Pokemon as you have come to understand yours then perhaps the world wouldn't be so bad, you know? They have so much to teach us about themselves and others and I feel like a lot of people overlook that in favor of just using them selfishly. They're not just objects for our own desires or figurines meant to battle to the death with one another." The small icy fox in her arms glances up at her as she speaks, offering a soft coo of endearment. She returns it with a gentle grin, affection seeping from her pores. Sure, she got a little carried away with speaking her mind but every word is true. Pokemon are more than just battlers and pawns. They're interesting creatures with different personalities, characteristics, and genetics and she, personally, has a lot more to learn from each one of them.

The attention of the conversation shifts toward her and she flushes with mild embarrassment. Illie isn't used to someone wanting to know stuff about her. At least, not in this way. Most, she figures, simply ask to be nice or for more obvious reasons but Mateo's curiosity seems genuine. He seems like the kind of person to wear his heart and emotions with pride and she doesn't see a reason to hide herself from his questions. Instead, she answers with honesty. "Research, actually. I'm, uh, not sure exactly what a coordinator is to be quite frank. Well, research mostly and to get away from my parents a bit. I focus on the genetics of Pokemon," she explains, cheeks still maintaining their rosy hue. "My Ninetales adores the heat, naturally due to being a fire type, but my Vulpix can't stand it so I was curious to see how their reactions differ in regards to differences in temperature. I believe it has to do with their specific genetics and how, despite being the same breed of Pokemon, they developed to have different characteristics and appearances based on climate differences." The possibility that she is boring him with her sudden rambles of scientific explanations jumps to the forefront of her mind and she lets out a soft squeak as her cheeks darken in color. She'll drive him away if she keeps this up and truthfully, this is the first time she's actually enjoyed talking to someone other than her team of Pokemon. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to bore you!" The newest smile to appear on her lips is sheepish as she shifts her weight once more, grip slightly tightening around the Vulpix in her arms. At her side, Ninetales glances curiously at the black haired girl before a look of amusement passes across her features. It's not every day the fire fox sees the girl as flustered as she currently is.

close tab

played by

light

dragon king
he/him/his
twenty-four
august 5th
blackthorn city
demisexual
civilian
senior ranger
single
333 height
333 height
awards
777 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mateo
mateo martinez
colors [open]
POSTED ON Sept 29, 2019 6:09:32 GMT
mateo martinez Avatar

[attr="class","merkI"]

so she was more than just a bookworm. her love for pokemon began to show the moment she started her spiel. he did not know the girl. but there was enough to tell him that she had a bright future in hoenn. she had the personality of a researcher, hell a professor.

and by jove he was right. though she didn't outright say it, she was here to do research. mateo listened intently during her explanation, but it all just went over his head. anything that wasn't a dragon he had a lack of understanding. folding his arms, he'd nod as she continued to explain. eventually, once done, he'd say, with a serious face, "i don't get it!" only to follow up with another statement, "but i can tell it sounds important. you've some big brains there, reyes." mateo complimented. she definitely wasn't a coordinator nor a trainer, but she had the spirit of a researcher.

she'd get along with a colleague of his back at headquarters: . she'd apologize all the while, growing bashful during her spiel. mateo, reassuring her with a jubilant grin, said, "it's okay, it's not everyday i'm surrounded by smart girls. it's a nice change of pace!" if bryony or noelle heard him say that he'd be catching a punch on both sides of his stomach. "your knowledge on pokemon is seriously astonishing, idjit!" he merrily uttered. "the only thing i've ever studied were dragons. everything else i've learned through discoveries, actions, or from others. you must have been self-taught?" he asked with a curious expression, head craned.

"you remind me of a guy named 'lucas lane', a well-known researcher in hoenn." he'd read about in the news network. hell he's even passed by him every now and then. he's never had a full blown conversation with the guy though. and if someone like illeana was this knowledgeable, just what the hell did that guy know? he was the one to uncover the power of mega evolution alongside persephone. "the league would love to get their hands on a smart gal like you, reyes." mateo casually said. they were always searching for new assistants and interns. he wondered if lucas could use someone like her.

notes: illeana is 2 perfect for this place :sob:

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
always an
angel, never a god.
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,094 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
colors [open]
POSTED ON Sept 30, 2019 21:59:35 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar

tag
notes
super sorry for the wait ;u;
Truthfully, she expected his reaction. It's not unusual for her scientific ramblings to be met with confusion or little comprehension but she understands. Most focus on battles, hoping to one day become the champion of their respective region. She just happens to be outside the norm, raised to put her all into science and research as it's what her parents had done. Actually... If she were to battle, she'd probably have a panic attack instead of keep a level head. Best to stick to what she knows...

Illie flushes more at his compliment, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear in a feeble attempt to mask her awkwardness. Compliments aren't something she's accustomed to. Her parents had rarely praised her for her studious work and she doesn't usually find herself in the company of another person. This is all a bit new to her. A good new, sure, but still uncharted territory that she isn't quite familiar with how to navigate. "Oh, um, thank you," comes the meek response, soft and shy. Perhaps she could read on how to deal with this? Do they even have books on how to accept compliments without dying of embarrassment?

She nods, ponytail bobbing with the movement. "Yes, self-taught. Well, kind of?" Her parents would kill her if she didn't give them credit for her nature, after all. "It's kind of the family business to put your all into science so I suppose I'm just following in my parents' footsteps." Truthfully, she wishes that wasn't the case. She doesn't want to give them the satisfaction of knowing she became the woman she is today because of them and their focuses. It leaves a bitter taste in her mouth but... It's, unfortunately, the truth.

The name he says sounds a little familiar if she's being honest. Perhaps she has read about it in one of her books... Her mind scrambles to find the source of information but comes up with little to assist her in the matter and so she merely speaks up instead, curious slate eyes finding his. "This Lucas Lane sounds familiar. Do you know any of his work?" To meet another researcher and pick their mind for assistance on her own work would be incredible. The world's brightest minds could be right here in Hoenn and she'd have no idea... "Perhaps he'd be able to offer some insight into my own research," She files the name away for later thoughts, neatly tucking it into one of the many filing cabinets within her mind. Organized thoughts are a researcher's best friend, it seems.

The awkwardness is back, yet again, in the form of fidgeting and more rosiness in her cheeks. The notion of being brilliant enough for the League to want to work with her... It's exciting but also nerve-wracking at the same time. She has never given herself much credit, certainly not enough to even give the idea a thought before. They employ the best of the best. The most intelligent, the most successful. She could never achieve that level of success within her field. No, they'd probably be better off with someone else. "Oh, I don't know about all of that. I doubt they'd be interested in my research," she glances away, eyes finding comfort in focusing on Ninetales instead. The fire type brushes against her legs in an attempt at comfort and Illeana smiles in response. If all else fails and if her research turns out to be nothing more than incorrect ramblings, then she'll always have her Pokemon by her side. That's all that truly matters, right? Still... The sharp sting of insecurity eats away at her a bit too much for her liking and so she feebly attempts to change the subject. The sudden need to talk about something, anything else, is staggering. "Do you work for the League as well? How do you find time to train around that work?" Her amount of work is nothing compared to the rest of the League's. Everyone keeps themselves busy with missions and other important tasks but her? She just barely scrapes by.

close tab

played by

light

dragon king
he/him/his
twenty-four
august 5th
blackthorn city
demisexual
civilian
senior ranger
single
333 height
333 height
awards
777 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mateo
mateo martinez
colors [open]
POSTED ON Oct 3, 2019 23:16:26 GMT
mateo martinez Avatar

[attr="class","merkI"]

thinking about the question she asked. he'd come to realize that that was a no-brainer. with a jovial response he'd say, "it's kind of my job to be strong. well, it recently became my job. actually, it was something i did before joining the league. i was just a freelancer doin' my own thing, met the commissioner, and she saw my potential i guess." a bellowing laughter was expelled.

finally, he'd answer her question, "i'm a member of the elite four!" he probably didn't look the part at the moment, but he was. "in a sense i work for them i guess, but i don't do, or really get rather, the whole science aspect. i know some of the people in the other departments though." he never interacted with lucas lane. maybe past him by in the halls every now and then, but nothing worth notable mention.

"he's the discoverer of mega stones if i recall. the guys done a lot for the league." a hand was brought to his chin. trying to figure out what else he knew about the man. "he was also featured in a magazine as one of the top five most eligible bachelors next to that popular councilman, fernando??" anything else and he was pretty clueless on the guy.

"nonetheless, everyone back the league is pretty amazing!" spreading his arms wide and far, he'd showcase how much he held his trust within them. "if you ever need help or anything, don't hesitate to stop by. just ask for me and i'll be their, illeana." a beaming smile given. mateo would ensure her that she had a friend in him. "thinking about it, you're like me. where science runs in your family, dragon taming runs in mine. do you love studying pokemon? is it something you wanna do or do you feel like it's an obligation?"

notes: have a gross post :NotLikeTis:

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
always an
angel, never a god.
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,094 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
colors [open]
POSTED ON Oct 8, 2019 20:11:33 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar

tag
notes
sorry for the wait again ;m;
He continues to keep surprising her.

A member of the elite four in her presence. She never thought she'd ever meet such a strong trainer, truth be told. Her forte is one of mental prowess and the lacking of physical strength is something that lead to a rather odd avoidance of battles. Her Pokemon could definitely be considered strong, sure, but she lacks the skill and determination of the man before her to properly lead them in a fight. Still, the pride is genuinely written upon her face at learning of his impressive feats. No wonder he's up here training!

"That's really impressive, Mateo!" She replies, crouching to release the newly squirming Vulpix from her grasp. Righting herself, she continues with a soft laugh. "Never thought I'd actually come face to face with a real member of the elite four. I'm guessing you battle almost as often as you train, then?" It would logically make sense that he keeps up a strict battle regimen as well, probably close to this training schedule of his. At least, if it were her, that's what she would do! "I bet you have tons of challengers coming out of the woodwork left and right," she beams at him, gun metal eyes lighting up with curiosity. She had never given the position much thought, honestly, but part of her almost needs to understand just exactly how it functions with every day life.

Her interest piques even further with the mention of mega stones. A book she read recently covered the topic of them and their effect on Pokemon. Man, she'd love to pick at the reports for this, even if just to see if mega stones are something she should look into for her own research. The power the stones hold are something that directly affects the genetics of certain Pokemon and to understand the science behind that change could quite possibly be what her research needs to go further. Perhaps she should attempt to find this Lucas Lane after all...

"Mega stones, hm? Quite the accomplishment for a researcher! He must be an impressive guy," she replies, nose scrunching slightly as her smile widens. "I'd love to see if he discovered anything on how the stones change the genetic structure of a Pokemon's DNA!" She knows that Mateo probably doesn't quite care about advances in her own research but the thought is, nevertheless, exciting.

Illie feels the tips of her ears heating up with something akin to fluster as he all but tells her to look to him if she needs anything. A kind gesture, really. Certainly not one she's used to, that's for sure. She's only really ever known people to be relatively selfish with themselves, putting oneself before another. This man, however, is different. He's kind and friendly and actually interested in offering her assistance should she need anything at all. "Oh, um," she splutters a little, flustered and unsure of exactly how to properly respond. "I wouldn't want to impose on your time! I'm sure you're pretty busy with your position and all," she mumbles. Her fingers fiddle with the end of her ponytail, swirling the dark strands idly. The last thing she would want is to be a bother to, possibly, the first friend she's actually made. What if she asks him for too much help or too much of his time and he disappears? Besides, can you really ask a friend for assistance..? God, perhaps she should find a book on friendship next. The list of self-help books she needs just seems to keep growing with each passing day.

His statement certainly makes sense. They might have different interests, but the structure behind them is all the same. A family business passed down from generation to generation. Sometimes, however, the pressure behind those expectations can be crushing. "That's very true," she murmurs, ponytail bobbing with the slight nodding of her head. His inquiries sound simple enough but she hates how anxiety begins to bubble in her stomach at the thought of them. The thought of studying Pokemon and learning so much about them has always been associated with both her parents and her own desires. Sure, it's the family business and they had basically drilled it into her skull, but she is still rather passionate about what she does. It doesn't feel like a chore or boring work but that doesn't necessarily mean that the negative thoughts that come with doing what she loves doesn't make it any more difficult.

Swallowing, she answers with as much honesty as she can muster. "I do love studying Pokemon and it's definitely something I want to continue to do. However, I also detest it sometimes," It feels like betrayal to her to even utter the words but she pushes on. "It just reminds me so much of my parents and I..." She trails off, breaking any eye contact and looking to her feet, if only to muster up the courage to quietly mumble the last part. "I never want to become anything like them."