1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Inquiry [gavin]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2020 6:27:44 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar
[attr="class","isratalk"]

The last they crossed paths he had said something that caught her attention. Science was not her forte but that did not stop the compulsion to ask questions. There had not been nearly enough time to interrogate him properly the last time however, as they had a job to finish. With a little space in between the crossing of paths Isra had been the one to reach out, inviting the man that had proven worthy enough company to the small cafe in Slateport at the end of the evening.

She was courteous enough to ask him how he liked his coffee/tea ahead of time, knowing that the place would be closed by the time she'd like to meet with him. Avoiding the sunlight was still easy enough this time of year though, and he'd find her sitting at one of their outdoor tables with her tea in hand and his drink across from her waiting. A pair of pastries sat in the middle of the table, in part because Isra had wanted them. Her parasol sit closed and against the table, always within reach.

"Thank you for joining me, I do apologize about the hour, I know it can be inconvenient for most but it is a necessity I'm afraid." she sits with one leg crossed over the other, the black dress a common choice for her this time of the year and her shawl seems to dwarf her slender shoulders.

[newclass=.isratalk b]color: #8e4e5d;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,761 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Inquiry [gavin]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2020 9:19:43 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[attr="class","gav"]

It wasn't often he was invited out on social calls. Gavin was a busy man, with little time for the trivialities of friendship. Yet Isra intrigued him, and so he'd found himself accepting her proposition of coffee in spite of the late hour.

He takes his coffee black.

The taste is bitter and familiar on his tongue. Years of smoking have compromised his tastebuds; he craves the flavour that is strong, overpowering. He lights a cigarette when he sits, of course, but is courteous enough to exhale into the wind, carrying the trail of smoke away from their conversation.

"I'm no stranger to odd hours," he assures her, flicking his wrist in dismissal. The motion scatters ash across the pavement, budding embers like the twinkle of fireflies in the dark. He coughs and clears his throat, making a face. "Experiments keep me up more often than not."

He is sharp, however, and catches something.

"Necessary," he repeats, curious. "Why?"

[newclass=.gav] width:300px; text-align: justify; font-size: 11.5px;background-color:#222222;padding:20px; color:#666666;[/newclass]

[newclass=.gav b] color: #716075; font-weight:lighter;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
Defiance in her flesh, her blood, her bones; written on her soul
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Inquiry [gavin]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2020 9:33:39 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

"How can you stand that?" it's surprisingly frank from a woman who is so clearly poise and proper in her day to day persona.Despite her usual effort to keep her mouth under control the trailing smoke incites something in her she can't quite name and she's not entirely sure why. The only plausible reasoning is the emphasis her upbringing has always had in taking care of her body, because there is not greater weapon than herself.

The tea sitting in front of her is a simple but pleasant chamomile, something to pass the time with as they chat and little more. She prefers what is rewed from her at home but that is because she springs for the highest quality possible. "Because it is." she doesn't deign to explain because quite frankly, a business partner (and that is all he is to her, at least right now) has no business in her private affairs.

"Besides, talking about your experiments sounds much more interesting." it's convenient that he mentions them. "You mentioned them last time, I'm curious." The question hides behind her words, waiting to see if he'll explain of his own accord or if she must pry for herself.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,761 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Inquiry [gavin]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2020 9:48:40 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[attr="class","gav"]
His laugh adopts the hoarse edge of a man who's given in to his vices far too long. He shakes his head. "Oh, I can't," is all he says.

He will not reveal the weakness that is his incredible desire to stop a habit he'd acquired in his early youth. It would not be the first time he'd tried and failed to accomplish such a goal. Gavin is not a man who fails to achieve his aims. He refuses to acknowledge that something as disgusting as addiction has sunk its claws in deep.

Isra's response to the question only leaves him more intrigued, and his eyes narrow behind glasses as she redirects the conversation.

"Ah, so you're the only one allowed to be curious." Rather than accusing, there's something akin to amusement in his tone. But if Isra is going to make things difficult, he can play along. "Curious about what, pray tell?"

[newclass=.gav] width:300px; text-align: justify; font-size: 11.5px;background-color:#222222;padding:20px; color:#666666;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Inquiry [gavin]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2020 9:59:29 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

"Then why are you doing it?" it seems like far too straightforward a matter to the woman, perhaps because the concept of addiction doesn't really exist in her head. Of course she has her own vices, things that she easily falls too on a regular basis but that is because she enjoys them far too much to let them go. She is no stranger to self-indulgence.

Perhaps she shouldn't be asking but she can't help herself once she starts a train of thought.

She pauses, seemingly thinking on his inquiry for a moment before she answers. "Yes, but only because that is a personal matter." and personal and business do not cross until a relationship allows it. Isra is not keen on allowing what is both her greatest blessing and greatest weakness be exposed so quickly to another. "What sort of experiments do you do?"

A vague enough inquiry, to let him choose where it leads, to a degree.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,761 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Inquiry [gavin]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2020 12:53:24 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[attr="class","gav"]
"It's the coughing I can't stand." The lie comes easily; it's one he's told before. "The habit itself is one I picked up willingly. The side-effects, less so."

It'll kill him eventually, should he neglect to put an end to it, but his priorities do not yet include the battling of such a deeply ingrained habit. Perhaps another time, he tells himself, when his other priorities are in order. When he no longer needs the soothing effect that a cigarette provides.

Isra claims it to be personal, which only intrigues him more. He expected at first it was some kind of scheduling issue; maybe she worked night shifts. Now, he's not so sure. But he nods, relenting to her request to keep it to herself. He has enough secrets of his own to understand.

"All kinds," he says, intentionally vague, a smirk curling at the edge of his lips. He sips at his coffee to soothe an ache in his throat from the cough. "Mostly, I deal with evolutionary experiments. Finding just the right buttons to push."

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Inquiry [gavin]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2020 1:52:00 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

"I'm quite certain the side-effects are also willing, if you're doing it enough to cause them." she comments, unable to keep herself from retorting because quite frankly, that makes no sense to her and she's quite certain that he's just talking in the hopes she'll shut up about it.

Sucks for him she tends to talk a lot.

Isra sips at her tea, evolutionary experiments do not surprise her. Given the current state of the region and even the recent developments like the Mega stones it would make sense. She also imagines it would be in Rockets best interest to keep someone like him on hand. "What do you seek to find from it? A quicker rate of evolution or better effects?" she asks as if they are the only two options but of course they are not, but she doesn't need to say that for it to be true.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,761 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Inquiry [gavin]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2020 5:53:10 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[attr="class","gav"]
Sensing that their back-and-forth on his bad habit will get him nowhere, Gavin merely huffs a laugh and drops the subject.

"Both," he answers, taking another sip of his coffee. Finishing the cigarette, he scuffs it under his foot and then flicks it into a nearby trash bin. His aim is true. "Everything and anything I can discover could potentially have its uses."

Such is his aim: to be useful. He is no fool. He knows that Rocket agents can often be seen as expendable, so long as the benefits of keeping them around do not outweigh the advantages of disposing of them. He's heard rumours. He knows not if they're true, but considers them enough to be cautious.

"Pokemon require a great many differing conditions to be capable of evolution. My goal is to find out how to exploit those conditions."

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Inquiry [gavin]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2020 6:05:05 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

He shifts the focus on his experiments and Isra can't say she minds. It was the real reason she had asked him to come out this way tonight anyway. Still, her eyes watch as he snuffs out the cherry of the cancer stick and throws it out. The entire behavior is beyond her. Something she can vaguely understand in an abstract way but not enough to accept.

"Naturally." she states matter-of-fact, because obviously anything new is going to be useful. At least she assumes it is, to her it would be. The fully the picture is the more secure your actions because even if you think you know 100 percent for sure what exists beyond the fog you never know when the world will pull a fast one on you.

"Have you had any success in doing so up to now?"

He's chosen an interesting enough subject to experiment with at least, it makes coming out this way worthwhile.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,761 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Inquiry [gavin]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2020 8:57:48 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[attr="class","gav"]
Gavin nods.

"With my Emboar, yes. You've met."

He speaks, of course, of the creature that had assisted in destroying the evidence along with the abandoned warehouse that could have otherwise implicated Rocket in a sloppily executed crime.

"I acquired her as a Tepig not long before that... incident." His lip curls in distaste. Though it had worked out, and had ended off quite entertaining, he still resented being ordered to clean up others' mess. "Normally it requires a good deal of dedicated training to nurture evolution in the species, but I was able to... accelerate her growth."

His words are chosen carefully. His knowledge is compounded into his worth, after all, and it would not do to give valuable information away.

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Inquiry [gavin]
POSTED ON Feb 16, 2020 0:08:22 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

"I see."

His vagueness earns him a raised brow because Isra does not like dealing in a lack of details. Details are the difference between being an idiot and being aware. She lets things go quiet between them for a moment. taking the chance to enjoy her tea, letting the aroma of it and the flavor settle on her tongue. The movements in between hold a certain deliberateness, like a woman who has spent her years playing her cards just right, and still has a hand too perfect to let anyone see it.

"What exactly did you do to make that happen?" she half expects a useless answer, something that puts her behind a wall but Isra is not a woman to deny herself an attempt.

Failure tells her just as much about him as succeeding does, after all.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,761 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Inquiry [gavin]
POSTED ON Feb 17, 2020 13:44:52 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[attr="class","gav"]

Isra seems displeased by his vague answers, a fact which neither escapes nor bothers the blond scientist. There is a silence that, at least to him, is comfortable as Isra drinks her tea and Gavin sips lazily at his coffee. It is Isra who breaks it, with another question to which he answers with a sly smile. He has a feeling this response will bring similar frustration.

"If I gave away all of my secrets, they would not need me around to conduct these experiments."

They are playing poker, and Gavin is keeping his cards close to his chest.

"Needless to say I do a lot of research into what makes a particular Pokemon tick, and then I exploit their strengths and weaknesses to achieve my desired results. That is as detailed as I'm willing to go, when it comes to specifics."

He has other methods, as well, but these are carefully-guarded secrets.

sorry abt him

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Inquiry [gavin]
POSTED ON Feb 18, 2020 9:53:01 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

"Only if they have enough people that could interpret the data and apply it properly for it to be usable." there is a frank nonchalance to her tone that many find familiar on her, though Gavin has seen her indulging in her own mischievousness more than most have in the places where their paths have crossed. Perhaps enough for it to even seem stiff by comparison to someone that has watched her double over with laughter.

Her eyes move to his, a surprisingly sharp action. It's almost alarming coming from the dainty face, framed with delicate wisps of black hair. "At which point you would almost be disposable, because certainly one of the others might come across the same thing anyway right?"

Isra does not accept his excuse not to talk.

"What constitutes desired results?" she inquires, a slight raise in her brow at the idea. She seems to ignore his comment about avoiding specifics, prodding further to see what she gets.

>>don't be, I'm not sorry about her after all

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,761 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Inquiry [gavin]
POSTED ON Feb 18, 2020 11:12:31 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[attr="class","gav"]

There is something fierce and predatory about Isra that Gavin does not miss. Her words carry an edge that could almost seem threatening.

"Only if they knew what to look for. I have no plans to tell them."

Suspicion has made its nest among Gavin's thoughts, now. Was she working with one of the other scientists? Paranoia is an ugly thing, as distasteful as his cancerous habit, but like the cigarettes he finds it hard to shake.

Evolutionary studies are most than just his job: they are Gavin's passion, and one he guards jealously from would-be copycats. There are others like him, but he is arrogant enough to believe that his work cannot be replicated without great difficulty. At least, as long as he's careful.

"Progress," he replies. "Change. To make something different to what it was. Is that not the goal of all science?"

To explore, to understand, even league scientists would be familiar with those aims. Gavin takes it further: to exploit, to push boundaries.

"Imagine if we could evolve any Pokemon on a whim." Pale fingers lace lazily beneath his chin. "How easy it would be to overwhelm, if training could be condensed into a simple set of procedures."

Of course, such things are dreams. They are nowhere close to a reality... but what if?

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Inquiry [gavin]
POSTED ON Feb 20, 2020 1:45:49 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

"No one is unique enough to be the only one looking, I assure you." now seeing however, that was a different story and there's a knowing grin on her face at his response. She almost finds it amusing, how he answers her. She's seen such a pattern before in other people and there is a certain delight in causing it.

This is a tit for tat she finds quite entertaining, knowing how well Gavin meshes with her on a job is different from seeing how they get along outside of it. Her curiosity is far from sated however and that is evident in the momentary pause as she thinks his comments over. She deigns not to comment about the science question, if only because it is beyond her. Science is intriguing but only on the level of knowing. She leaves the rest to those that find it to be their forte more than herself.

A subtle nod proceeds her continuation of their conversation. That would indeed have its uses, though there's much lost in the endeavor as well." she doesn't argue her point much however, she will if he pushes but until then she lets it settle. She doesn't completely disagree after all, but she cannot fully agree either.

"It's an intriguing idea regardless, if for nothing else than producing worthy fodder for the fires."

it seems it holds less water with her than it might others.