awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
selena's dossier
POSTED ON Feb 17, 2020 7:45:26 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar
[nospaces][googlefont=Montserrat:700|Montserrat+Alternates:700|Open+Sans:400,400i,700]

[newclass=.cosmiclove] --clovAccent:#7b6678; [/newclass]
[newclass=.clovBanner img]animation-play-state:running!important;[/newclass]

[attr="class","cosmiclove"]

[attr="class","clovBody"]

background

Selena is the youngest of three daughters of the Desmarais family from Kalos. They are known throughout the region for their wine-making business. Her older sisters took upon themselves to continue the Desmarais legacy but Selena wanted to mark her name in history by different means.[break][break]

Her biggest break revolves around making the greatest investigative story of all time: Team Rocket. Her first year in Hoenn has been a roller coaster ride, ascending the ranks from a strange nobody to a controversial figure in the Hoennian politics. Selena grabbed the gym leader title in the region while establishing the name of Vantage in less than six months, cemented her name in the region's history as a water veteran in the battle against Megalopolans, and acknowledged as an avatar of the legendary Tapu Koko.[break][break]

After a personal crisis transpired in the events of the autumn festival two years ago, Selena found herself on the opposite side of the news story: a part of the infamous, Team Rocket.[break][break]

not the chip from the old bonsly

Selena came from a well-off family in Kalos, a big name in the industry of wine-making in the region. Bearing the banner of fennekins, the Desmarais were known to be sly and cunning tycoons in the liquor businesses and anyone who dared competing with them ended up being absorbed or destroyed. Noble families from various regions like Kanto, Alola, and Unova would want to be under their graces since the wealth of the Kalosian vixens meant prosperity and safety net for the start up enterprises.[break][break]

Recently, her father Dominique took advantage of her influence and reputation after the Three Days War and entered the business scene in the region, setting up the bases of operation at Lilycove City. He made Selena the brand ambassador without her knowledge, keen on involving his youngest daughter into the family business. When Selena left the region, the brand experienced a steep decline in sales, forcing them halt operations until her return.[break][break]

APPLES DON'T FALL FAR FROM THE TREE

Selena hates her family. Dominique's insistence of making Selena the representative of the Desmarais in Hoenn and quit her job puts a heavy strain between their relationship; especially when her sisters are far too detached about her feelings on the matter. Looking for: father (Dominique Desmarais), siblings (Sophie Desmarais, Sable Desmarais)[break][break]

WHAT'S A GIRL TO DO

As a business scion, Selena was expected to acquiant herself with the children of her parents' friends. While some of them are indeed people she trusted, most of them were actually who she despised and hated as a child. Looking for: childhood acquaintances/friends/rivals[break][break]

WE LIVE IN CITIES YOU NEVER SEE ON SCREEN

What inspired Selena to resist against the pressure of her family, despite their wishes for her to succeed the the wine-making business, was the influence of a few people she actually considered "friends." Sons and daughters of vineyard farmers, children of processing workers—as her father indoctrinated her with the world of profit, she only saw the injustice and oppression of her people. The Kalosian was not naive to the social inequality of her region, despite being at the other end of spectrum. Looking for: childhood friends with a sense of social justice [break]

mighty is the hand that knows when to pick aegislash and when to pick a pen

Selena chose to study journalism and worked on unraveling controversies in the Pokémon world. She wrote articles exposing League corruption in other regions, unfair trainer treatments, alleged Pokémon abuse, gang groups in the making, and many more. All of these earned her the monicker, "Eye of Staraptor", for she sees things other people cannot immediately recognize. This career goes hand-in-hand with her passion for pokémon training, working like a kecleon in society full of unexpected turmoils and ambiguities.[break][break]

The apex of her career, however, has always been following Team Rocket and unraveling all the secrets about its operation and global influence. With their success in conquering Kanto and with futile attempts at Johto, the organization has been at their zenith in their efforts to capture Hoenn. Coupled with various League controversies and supernatural phenomena that seems to surround the region, Selena parries with power struggle and prejudices in order to reach her ambition.[break][break]

MEMORIES

Selena studied journalism without her parent’s support, seeking day-time jobs as model or endorser, to keep her expenses paid as she tailed scholarships after scholarships. This earned her friends from various media fields: the fame of her family name biting at every opportunity given to her as she continue her dreams and aspirations. Looking for: classmates/friends in the university and/or during her internship year as a reporter[break][break]

I'LL COVER YOU

Selena had been following rocket-related leads since she started her career and that often tumbled her with circumstances leading to her unfateful confrontations with such people. Selena does not know their full intentions with the her—perhaps most of them would like to scare her, if not silence her. Looking for: rocket rivals [break]

a single ember starts a prarie heat wave

Selena was promoted as the Lilycove Gym Leader during her brief stay in Hoenn, working alongside her position as the Vantage Editor-in-Chief and Chief Executive Officer. While it is her ambitions which drive her to join the Hoenn league's top brass, she became invested in fulfilling her responsibility to protect her city and her region. It is for this reason that she became chosen as Tapu Koko's avatar until her untimely departure months ago.

The accusations about her involvement in the Littleroot incident eventually removed her from post and ultimately affecting her career as the Journaliste International summoned her back to Kalos to resolve misunderstandings, prompting her to suspend operations of Vantage as contributors started pulling out because of the controversy.[break][break]

As she returns to Hoenn, Selena is focused on working on her career as a trainer while working to build back Vantage, scouting for sponsors and shareholders and new contributors and staff.[break][break]

LEAP OF FAITH

Selena built Vantage with the reputation she earned herself during her years as a freelance reporter. The money came from people who were convinced with her skills and those who wanted to be under the graces of the "Desmarais" name, but eventually pulled out money after the controversy she involved herself in. Despite the backlash in her career, Selena is still set on reestablishing her queendom, looking for likeminded individuals who would carry on the legacy of Vantage. Looking for: aspiring reporters/contributors (More information in Newsroom Wanted Ads. Click here.)[break]

available missions

a deadly job

threading[break][break]

a star is born

[break][break]

a whale of a problem

threading here [break][break]

babysitter duty

[break][break]

bare knuckle beat down

[break][break]

berry patch kids

[break][break]

blocks your path

[break][break]

coordinator choreography

[break][break]

corsola conservation

[break][break]

cuckoo in the nest

[break][break]

deserted island

[break][break]

devon dives

[break][break]

down for the count

[break][break]

for the swarm

[break][break]

i relicanth thank you enough

[break][break]

i wanna be like you-oo-oo

[break][break]

mareep roundup

[break][break]

pesky pescetarian

[break][break]

prison break

[break][break]

pruning the power plant

[break][break]

rocket racketeering

[break][break]

seviper no swipping

[break][break]

sleepless in slateport

[break][break]

slumber party

[break][break]

smoke out the bees

[break][break]

something fishy

[break][break]

spring cleaning

[break][break]

the agility & the uproar

[break][break]

we require more minerals

[break][break]

wooloo who cry wolf

[break][break]

doesn't take a rocket scientist

threading here[break][break]

life's a beach

threading[break][break]

stay afloat

threading here[break][break]

you're not the one

[break][break]

rigged gacha rolls

[break][break]

poke-trafficking

[break][break]

the admins are corrupt

[break][break]

plot with me!

This list is to be updated as soon as ideas come up. Feel free to hit me ( ) or in Discord (@/lancelot) or reply to this plotter. If you have ideas that are not included here, you can still tell me so we can work on it![break][break]

Updated as of 08/22/2021

[attr="class","clovCredit"]SELKIE

[newclass=.cosmiclove] width:525px; background-color:#eee; display:flex; flex-flow:row wrap; border-radius:5px; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]
[newclass=.clovBanner] height:130px; padding:25px; width:100%; display:flex; align-items:center; justify-content:flex-start; background-color:#aaa; background-color:var(--clovAccent); position:relative; [/newclass]
[newclass=.clovBanner:before] content:''; width:100%; height:100%; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/eq76E9/Transparent_Flowers_1.png); opacity:.15; position:absolute; top:0px; left:0px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.clovBanner img] width:100px; height:100px; border-radius:100%; position:relative; padding:5px; background-color:#fafafa; border:10px solid #333; animation: clovpulse 4s infinite; animation-play-state:paused; } @keyframes clovpulse { 0% { -moz-box-shadow: 0 0 0 0 rgba(0,0,0, 0.25); box-shadow: 0 0 0 0 rgba(0,0,0, 0.25); } 25% { -moz-box-shadow: 0 0 0 25px rgba(0,0,0, 0); box-shadow: 0 0 0 25px rgba(0,0,0, 0); } 100% { -moz-box-shadow: 0 0 0 0 rgba(0,0,0, 0); box-shadow: 0 0 0 0 rgba(0,0,0, 0); }[/newclass]
[newclass=.clovBanner h1] margin:0px 0px 0px 25px; width:270px; display:block; position:relative; font:700 40px/35px montserrat; color:#eee; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:left; text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #333, 1px -1px 0 #333, -1px 1px 0 #333, 1px 1px 0 #333; [/newclass]
[newclass=.clovBanner div:last-child] background-color:#333; width:50px; height:100%; position:absolute; top:0px; right:0px; display:flex; flex-flow:column nowrap; align-items:center; justify-content:center; [/newclass]
[newclass=.clovBanner div:last-child a] color:#5a5a5a!important; height:20px; width:20px; font-size:20px; margin:10px 0px; font-family: Linearicons-Free!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=.clovBody] padding:25px; width:475px; display:flex; flex-flow:column nowrap; text-align:justify; -webkit-border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; -webkit-border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.clovBody h2] margin:0px 0px -5px 25px; display:block; font:700 25px/25px montserrat alternates; text-transform:lowercase; color:#aaa; color:var(--clovAccent); position:relative; text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #fafafa, 1px -1px 0 #fafafa, -1px 1px 0 #fafafa, 1px 1px 0 #fafafa; [/newclass]
[newclass=.clovBody h3] margin:0px 10px 0px 10px; display:inline-block; position:relative; top:-1px; padding:2px 7px; font:700 7px/11px montserrat; letter-spacing:.5px; text-transform:uppercase; background-color:#aaa; background-color:var(--clovAccent); color:#eee; [/newclass]
[newclass=.clovBody div] width:425px; padding:25px; margin:0px 0px 25px 0px; background-color:#fafafa; border-radius:5px; font:400 11px Open Sans; color:#6a6a6a; [/newclass]
[newclass=.clovBody div:last-child] margin-bottom:0px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.clovBody b] color:var(--clovAccent); font-weight:700; [/newclass]
[newclass=.clovBody i] color:#aaa; [/newclass]
[newclass=.clovCredit] font:bold 7px roboto; margin-left:475px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.clovCredit a] font:bold 7px roboto!important; [/newclass]

[newclass=.lnr]font-family:Linearicons-Free;speak:none;font-style:normal;font-weight:400;font-variant:normal;text-transform:none;line-height:1;-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;-moz-osx-font-smoothing:grayscale; } @font-face {font-family:Linearicons-Free;src:url(https://cdn.linearicons.com/free/1.0.0/Linearicons-Free.eot);src:url(https://cdn.linearicons.com/free/1.0.0/Linearicons-Free.eot?#iefix) format('embedded-opentype'),url(https://cdn.linearicons.com/free/1.0.0/Linearicons-Free.woff2) format('woff2'),url(https://cdn.linearicons.com/free/1.0.0/Linearicons-Free.ttf) format('truetype'),url(https://cdn.linearicons.com/free/1.0.0/Linearicons-Free.woff) format('woff'),url(https://cdn.linearicons.com/free/1.0.0/Linearicons-Free.svg#Linearicons-Free) format('svg');font-weight:400;font-style:normal;[/newclass]

[newclass=.lnr-clock:before]content:"\e864";[/newclass]
[newclass=.lnr-briefcase:before]content:"\e84c";[/newclass]
[newclass=.lnr-heart-pulse:before]content:"\e840";[/newclass]
[newclass=.lnr-license:before]content:"\e822";[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,462 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
selena's dossier
POSTED ON Feb 17, 2020 18:43:41 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar
&

Given how close in age the two of them are, perhaps they could've known one another during their childhoods? If I understood her background correctly, both would be from the same societal class, with Thomas' family being heavily involved in arms tech. Thomas, during that time, was a timid child, constantly being pushed around by his peers. After ten years old, when things went wrong for him in Kanto, he began to change into a more bitter and violent person, fighting back against his bullies, whether it was with words or fists.

Perhaps his actions in Unova could've been subject to her journalism? After raiding a Plasma hideout in Castelia, Thomas joined up with the International Police, and was a part of the task force dealing with Team Plasma. During that time, Thomas would've developed a reputation for ruthlessness and brutality, albeit one involving him pushing the envelope, rather than outright breaking any rules.
close tab

played by

lancelot

Eye of Staraptor
she/her
october 19
camphrier town, kalos
bisexual
pr strategist
ace
unavailable
single
437 height
437 height
THIS REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE A DINNER PARTY
awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
selena's dossier
POSTED ON Feb 20, 2020 17:41:23 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar

I read Thomas's plotter and i think i couldn't agree more

I imagine selena and thomas being childhood friends... best friends even? There is a lot of pressure for scions of wealthy families and they both understood the expectations set to them by their families and by the society. Selena's easygoing and perky personality might be something that pushed them together to be friends in the first place as Thomas's meekness drew her attention. She would always stand up for him against his bullies and his enemies.

They lost contact during selena's teenage years, right when she was studying to become a journalist and she's having a hard time to convince her parents of what she truly wanted. She saw Thomas when she was on the field, doing some legwork for her first writeup and she needed to scoop out information from the International Police. However, Selena swore there was some tension when she saw him for the meek and docile Thomas she remembered from her childhood has now changed and became aggressive. At least that's what she's hearing from the gossips of other high-ranking officials in the organization.

They still remained friends and colleagues though even after Selena went for Kanto and Johto for her profession.

Now that they're both in Hoenn, I think this gives them an opportunity to rekindle their old friendship... into a budding romance, maybe? sksk I think it's perfect because Selena already knows Thomas from before so she wouldn't have a hard time connecting with him, although Selena understands there is still so much to learn from both of them, especially after all the years that halted their friendship and changed both Selena and Thomas drastically.

That being said, I think I would love to throw them together and see what happens. :)
close tab

played by

Tagger

Wraith
he/him/his
October 31
Shalour City, Kalos
Heterosexual
Ranch Owner
Ex-Elite 4
Desiree Blooms
"My guiding light."
6'04" height
6'04" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,462 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thomasbenoit
Thomas Benoit
selena's dossier
POSTED ON Feb 21, 2020 15:27:38 GMT
Thomas Benoit Avatar

That sounds good to me. In any case, if she's on the trail of Team Rocket, then she could find a potentially good source/ally in Thomas. Though it could just start with her seeing what information he knows, and his past encounters with them, Thomas would encourage her to find what she can, while reminding her to be careful, as he would with anyone else in her place. Thomas doesn't truly believe that Rocket died with Silas, though such a sentiment isn't going to be revealed immediately.

As for the potential romance angle, Thomas is currently the opposite of Selena, in that he seeks something long term, rather than going for any sorts of flings. At the very least, if she were to take on his Gym's non-traditional challenge at some point, one of the points that could be addressed would be the heartbreak in her past that dissuaded her from long-term relationships. But even if they don't go anywhere in that direction, Thomas would most likely be a good friend to her.