snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,101 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
falling
POSTED ON Jun 17, 2020 17:02:34 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illiepost"]
[attr="class","illieicon"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]her mind is still reeling from the events of the week, still a mess of jumbled memories and emotions. from waking up in a hospital to having at her bedside, she hasn't had much of a chance to relax or even decompress. although, perhaps that isn't technically a bad thing. if she settles down and goes over what has happened, what has become of a mission gone terribly wrong, she'll dissolve. the heaviness of loss hasn't fallen yet, hasn't sunken in with sharp teeth and bloody claws.

"miss reyes," her head snaps up at the voice, dark hair flying with the movement. a sheepish smile forms on her lips as she stares at the nurse. the woman doesn't mind the jumpiness of her reaction, however, and merely smiles brighter once she has the scientist's full attention. "you have another visitor! i'll send him in."

before she can even open her mouth to respond, to ask who's here, he steps into the doorway and she's letting out a soft gasp. alexander steps into the room and it might be cliche the way the light seems to gravitate toward him. a hand rises to offer a soft wave, lips curling into a shy smile. "hi," she murmurs. happiness bubbles in her body and she's shifting in the bed as if she wants to get up to rush to him. of course, her body is still aching, still recovering from the odd mixture of poison, sap, and blood loss. she can barely even leave the bed but for him, she'd try her hardest.

"what're you doing here?" her cheeks flush at the thought of him rushing here but her expression is quick to fall beneath the notion that he might scold her. she had been reckless, endangering not only herself but her pokemon and other civilians in the process of trying to secure scientific breakthrough. that, in itself, is enough to leave a somber air around the scientist as she settles a little further into her bed.

[attr="class","illietag"]
[attr="class","illiepoke"]

[newclass=.illiepost] width:350px; text-transform:lowercase; text-align:justify; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; padding-left:10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illieicon] height:100px; width: 100px; float:left; padding-right:5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie b] color:#E37474; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illietag] width:300px; text-transform:lowercase; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illiepoke] width:300px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
falling
POSTED ON Jun 17, 2020 17:32:52 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
[attr="class","devonpost"]information is one of the reasons why alexander has his network spread out so wide across the region. to know is a gift, and it is one that he does not take for granted. so imagine his frustration when he receives no information about the incident. no reports. no updates. nothing. strange as it may be, his worries lie elsewhere, and it's far too long before he's finally allowed to see her.

"illeana." 

it escapes as a breath. worry mars his expression as he steps into the room. there is no hesitation in his steps as he moves to embrace her. "i came as soon as i heard you were hurt." the nurses have told him enough for him to make sense of the situation. that, and also the news. the details remain shrouded in unneccesary mystery.

when he finally pulls away from their embrace, he sits by her bedside and reaches for her hand. "i was so worried. i saw what happened on the news." he starts, voice soft with care. "the nurses told me you were stabbed and poisoned." it comes out as a statement. his eyes cannot help but trail to try and examine the extent of her wounds. "are you okay?"

[newclass=.devonpost]font:10px calibri;[/newclass]
[newclass=.devonpost b]color:#6c9975;font:bold 11px calibri;line-height:12px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,101 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
falling
POSTED ON Jun 17, 2020 18:15:26 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]she's flushing even as he's only halfway through his explanation. affection rises in her body and she's clutching at his back with a desperation she hasn't fully come to know yet. "i," she tries at first but her voice is muffled by his shoulder and she really doesn't know what to say. she settles on gratitude, on pressing closer into the embrace as if it'll hold her together. "thank you for coming." of course he would come, this much she knows, but still... it's touching nonetheless and her heart soars a little at the thought.

he pulls away to settle in the chair by her side, his hand maintaining contact with hers as he sits. her gaze avoids his at first, instead dropping to their intertwined fingers. the news is already covering what happened. it's plastered everywhere... she still hasn't even seen much of it. that might be due to the nurses keeping her tv switched off but she isn't positive. part of her doesn't even want to know what the reports say, what the newscasters have been divulging on the topic. does everyone know the details? do they know the full situation? her grip around his hand tightens.

"i'm okay," she reassures, her eyes leaving their hands to find his. her smile is soft, almost uncertain, but it stays despite the weight behind it. "my body's recovering well despite the poison and the wound on my thigh." as if subconsciously, her bandaged leg shifts at the mention. she still has yet to get used to the sensation of medical wrapping around her skin. it's still as suffocating as always. and then, as she hesitates on even asking the next question, her smile falls away into a more grim expression. it doesn't feel right on her features but it sits, unmoving, with the facts of the situation fernando had given her still far too fresh in her mind. "what's the news saying?"

[newclass=.illiepost] width:350px; text-transform:lowercase; text-align:justify; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; padding-left:10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illieicon] height:100px; width: 100px; float:left; padding-right:5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illietag] width:300px; text-transform:lowercase; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
falling
POSTED ON Jun 17, 2020 18:27:11 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
[attr="class","devonpost"]he finds himself pressing closer into the embrace as well, perhaps understanding that there was a chance he would have never seen her again. "of course." such a though is scary to entertain, so he doesn't, at least not yet. for now he focuses on being there for her.

her reassurance calms his worries slightly and he finds some tension leaving his shoulders as he exhales. "good. i'm glad." the shifting of her bandaged leg does not go unnoticed but he makes no notions to mention it. it's a stab wound and nothing more, that much he decides in the moment. what's important is that she's there with him. safe.

the mention of the news makes her expression falter and he notices. he understands. and so he looks to soothe her worries.

"only that the building had collapsed. i haven't heard much from anywhere else either." he draws circles in her skin as he speaks. "i don't know what happened but if it's guilt you're feeling, illeana, know that there is nothing to be guilty for. you were just doing your job." he makes an assumption, a shot in the dark, but stays true to his resolve. he's there for her, however she may need him to be.

[newclass=.devonpost b]color:#6c9975;font:bold 11px calibri;line-height:12px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,101 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
falling
POSTED ON Jun 17, 2020 23:23:25 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]a shaky exhale is breathed into his chest and she's faintly aware that she might be clinging a little too much, holding him a little too tight, but the circumstances are odd in this situation. the gravity of what has happened, of what could have gone wrong and somehow didn't weighs on them both. "thank you," she murmurs again, if only to solidify all of the emotions she feels in this moment. affection, gratitude, love. somehow, he always manages to bring each one out with the smallest of actions.

she doesn't miss the way his shoulders seem to settle a little further as he exhales, as if whatever had been weighing on him is slowly evaporating. it leaves his expression calmer, gentler than it had previously been, and the smile that rises to her face is soft in response. "i'm glad, too," she lets out a sigh shortly after. and then, the smile falters and she's glancing down at their hands once more. "some weren't as fortunate." three dead seems to repeat in her mind, her grip on his hand tightening in the process. she's here, safe, with him... but at what cost?

"good," illeana murmurs. the circles he traces in her skin comfort her some but there's things he can't fight off, no matter how much he might try. they weigh her down, settling against her shoulders and piling onto the things that have already been existing there. some day, it will prove to be too much. that day could be today or maybe not but eventually, illeana reyes will crumble beneath the pressure. it almost seems inevitable, almost as much as the way her tone tightens in the face of his reassurance. it's suppose to ease her mind, to help support the weight she feels, but instead of the intended effect... all she's left with is a sour taste in her mouth. "there's a lot to be guilty for," she winces at the tone, at the way her words feel clipped and almost harsh. he doesn't deserve that reaction but once it's started, it's difficult to stop. "people lost their lives. they lost their lives for doing their job, for helping me do my job, and i --" she has to stop and collect herself, fight off the tears as they come. they escape her waterlines anyway, rolling down her cheeks in waves. the grip her fingers have around his tightens to an unbearable point and she has to pull her hand away from the comfort he provides.

"i lost custos." a beat, a pause, and then a choked sob echo throughout the room.

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
falling
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2020 3:04:46 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
[attr="class","devonpost"]the way her smile falters is almost chilling. it reflects the true intensity of what happened on the mission and more importantly it shows him how she feels. there are things that are left unspoken but he sees them. he feels them.

the sharpness in her tone is the next indicator. what she says is true, there's no denying it, but to blame herself for their deaths would be a mistake. they were there on their own volition. they knew the risks, knew the dangers the mission posed. but it's not in his place to say. he lets her vent because it's what she needs. 

what she says next catches him off guard. a sudden lull hangs over them, suffocating, defeaning, and he's left stunned. "illeana–" the little golett. the cute golett. the golett that brought them together in the lab that day. he cannot help but feel a great sense of grief, so much so that tears start to roll down his cheeks too.

"i'm sorry." 

alexander takes a moment to compose himself the best he can. he brings a hand to face and wipes the tears dry before shifting closer. she had pulled her hand away from him, away from the comfort, but he's still there. he'll always be there.

"i'm so sorry."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,101 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
falling
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2020 3:26:14 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]silence lingers at first, heavy with the weight of her admittance. and then, like porcelain meeting the floor, it shatters.

she's a mess of snot and tears, body trembling as guilt and loss finally settle in. she doesn't look at him, doesn't even want to see the reaction he gives in the face of the information she's divulged. no, it'd be too painful. instead, she all but curls into herself, legs struggling to be brought to her chest. the wound on her left one throbs and aches but it has nothing on the shitstorm her heart is handling. only when her knees are finally knocking against her chest does she crumple into them, forehead pressing against bare skin while dark hair shields her face.

when he breathes out her name, she sobs, hands clutching her legs tighter. she doesn't notice the way grief overtakes him too, the way tears spring to his eyes without hesitation. she doesn't even hear the first apology that leaves his mouth. everything feels like white noise in the face of realization that her precious golett is lost beneath the rubble. broken down into pieces of clay, scattered among the debris. more than her losing one of her children, deus had lost its little brother that day. and perhaps that is what really hurt the most... how is she going to explain her failure to the larger automaton? how is she going to handle seeing the golurk's heart break into pieces before her very eyes?

she won't be able to.

"i," she tries and instead of more words, another sob comes out sounding almost mangled. alexander shifts closer once the tears are wiped clean from his face and she can feel his presence at her side but instead of being a comfort, it does little to quell her. she sniffles, a hand leaving her knee to furiously swipe at her eyes. and then, she's slowly raising her head to glance at him, bottom lip quivering with emotion barely being contained. "how could i do that to custos?" it comes out as a whimper and the hand that had been wiping at her face darts toward his with a quickness bordering on desperate. "how could i just leave it behind to die?"

she dissolves further, pieces breaking away to clatter against the pristine floor of a hospital room.

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
falling
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2020 3:44:44 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
[attr="class","devonpost"]she struggles to bring her knees up to her chest and he should stop her, he really should, but all he does is watch on helplessly. he better than anyone understands the pain she's feeling. loss and regret and guilt. he understands them all and he would never wish it upon his worst enemy.

to see her feeling them breaks his heart.

"you didn't." he does what he can to pick up the broken pieces, to mend them in any way he can. "it wasn't your fault, illeana. you have to understand that." 

he can feel them sinking deeper and deeper and he has to act as their lifeline. he has to keep them afloat.

"you can't blame yourself. some things, no matter how hard we try, are out of our control." 

and that is the sad reality of it. it is something he has had to learn to accept, and something that he still has trouble accepting. if he had been more prepared could he have saved his father? could he have kept his family safe in hoenn?

"please, illeana."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,101 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
falling
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2020 17:04:13 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]it's not like these feelings aren't familiar. perhaps that's the funny thing about them: they're just as they were before and she still hasn't gotten any better at handling them. instead, they break her down like acid burning through the floor.

in her defense, she didn't think that she'd put her pokemon in harms way again. not after last time, not after faba. and yet, she still did. still rushed in, still took advantage of their loyalty and for what? to end up failing, almost dying? her hand ball up sheets into fists, the white fabric crumpling beneath the pressure. "but," she chokes out, head whipping up in the process. her eyes are lined with red, desperate and destroyed. "i -- i could've done something!" anything, really, instead of just leaving her golett to weather the explosion.

it had been foolish to think the shadows could be better protection for the small automaton than herself.

she understands what he's saying but can she accept it? can she move past this? perhaps but... it could happen again. almost bitterly, her mind adds that yes, it will happen again. the casualties of tensions rising within the region, perhaps. only time will tell in the end but something in her gut just knows that this won't be the last time she's left in mourning.

"how can i not blame myself, though?" she's shifting over into irritated territory, now. frustration at herself, at the situation, at that damn clown and it's exploding head overtake everything else and she's wincing at how quickly it comes. "i brought custos into that building with me. if i had just left it at home, it'd still be here." and that's the worst part of it all. the regret, the scenarios that avoided this outcome constantly coming in flashes. if she had left the golett at home, it'd still be cooing at deus for cuddles, still running amok in her makeshift lab. more tears rise at the thought, pooling over and down her cheeks.

she tries to heave out a sigh but it comes as a whimper and she's reaching for him before she can decide otherwise, before she can process anything else. the search for comfort drives her body to move despite the ache and when she finds it, she crumbles into him without hesitation.

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
falling
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2020 17:51:21 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
[attr="class","devonpost"]he could've done something. he could've done so many things. and yet he didn't. the world forced him to play the role of observer, unable to change the natural course of events. like a stone in the middle of rushing water, he can only watch them pass.

"you can't think that way. you'll drown if you do." 

experience seeps through his words. thoughts of what ifs and what he could have done different have plagued him for years and will continue to plague him for many more. but he cannot let it engulf him. he cannot let it drown him. to survive, he must accept. and she must too.

he's already moving closer when she reaches out for him. he shifts onto the bed and pulls her into him. his hand holds her head against his chest and he allows her to crumble into him because he's there to pick up the pieces. however long it may take, he'll be there.

"you're okay." 

a breath, a pause.

"you're okay. i promise."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,101 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
falling
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 21:21:57 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]the easiest part of blame is how natural it is to shift onto yourself. more could have been done, more should have been done. if she could have been more, been stronger, maybe it wouldn't have happened. and yet, she believes she's alone in this concept. it doesn't dawn on her until she hears his voice that she's not the only one loss has touched.

and perhaps that's why she sniffles a little more, a hand rising to wipe away more tears as they come.

"how do you not?" she whispers as if he'll have all the answers she needs. it doesn't cross her mind that he doesn't, that no one does. that these things are inevitable and unavoidable, no matter how many times we try to change the outcome. death is life and that factor is more painful than the guilt.

he's moving before she even fully reaches him, climbing into the bed and holding her as close as she needs for the pieces to stay whole. they shift and crack and sound like breaking glass but one whole broken piece is better than dozens of little shards. a sob is stifled by the fabric of his shirt. his hands hold her head close, tangling into her hair, and beneath the grief and tears lies gratitude. she's grateful he's here, grateful she's not alone. that she'll never be alone.

"i," she tries and like all the other times, fails to fully piece together words without emotion overcoming her voice. she swallows and whimpers it out instead, the admittance feeling like knives piercing into skin. "i miss it." her beloved golett, her precious baby automaton. and while she knows the ache she feels right now is agonizing, it doesn't hold a candle to the experience that her golurk will have upon learning the news. this thought gives way to more tears and she's pressing closer with a fierce grip, knuckles shifting into white.

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
falling
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2020 8:19:21 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
[attr="class","devonpost"]alexander stays quiet at first, unable to find words to her question. a few moments pass before he finds them.

"too many depend on me for me to even consider drowning. i have to stay afloat, if not for myself, then for them. the same can be said for you, illeana." 

and the truth is: he doesn't know. alexander stays afloat not be choice but by necessity, because there's too much on the line for him to even think otherwise. he has beared and will continue to bear the burden because he knows he can handle it. and should he need to help her with hers, then he will too.

"i do, too." 

there is not much else he can say to soothe the pain she feels. all he can do is simply be there for her. he holds her in his arms to let her know.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,101 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
falling
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2020 18:06:08 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]people depend on him and that drives him to keep going, to stay above the water. she finds logic in the explanation, sound reasoning in the words. and yet, she isn't so sure the same could be said for her. he's certain in that but the seed of doubt has been buried too deep to shake. it festers where others can't see and leaves her at a loss. he's depended on by family, friends, the region. but her? who could depend on the weak, the one who couldn't even save her pokemon let alone herself?

this line of thinking sends her into silence as if she'll break further apart if she argues against his logic. it's to help her, to benefit her, to keep her afloat. she knows this, understands it even, but accepting it is another thing entirely.

and then, she's breaking the silence to ask a single question, to glance up at him as if he holds all the answers she needs. "does it get easier?" does the burden ever dissolve? or does it simply continue to settle itself further into the mind, deeper and deeper until it's never able to be forgotten. somehow, she knows it doesn't, that it never will, but she wants to hear the sugar coated version even though hope is a funny, painful thing.

she hums softly at his admittance, burrowing a little deeper into the embrace of comfort he offers. he holds her close as if letting her go will provide more cracks in the porcelain. she's already a chipped cup, one fall away from shattering, but that doesn't matter. not now, not yet.

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
falling
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2020 5:54:44 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
[attr="class","devonpost"]alexander spares her the false comfort of a white lie and decides on the truth, no matter how painful it might be to hear. 

"you learn to live with it." 

and despite the experience his words carry, he is still learning to live with his. something as small as a memory can make him stumble, make him second-guess himself. but he always recovers. he has to.

"it becomes a part of you. you'll carry it. you'll breathe it. you'll feel it. but it doesn't have to define you, not unless you allow it to." 

somehow it doesn't feel as painful to talk about with her in his arms. he cannot deny the comfort she provides him, and for that he is truly grateful.

"the important thing is that you aren't alone. you never will be."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,101 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
falling
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2020 18:00:14 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]live with it... a familiar concept and yet, it's one she can't always accept. is there really no way to dull the ache? to relieve the way grief clings to the body like the smell of smoke to clothes?

she sighs into him, soft and broken. "how do you not allow it to define you? how do you stay soft and good and pure when you lose a part of you?" and perhaps the question she really wants to ask him is how she's supposed to go home to a place without her golett. or how she's supposed to overcome the memories in the darkness of her room when the grief is too much to handle and she's falling to pieces.

as he speaks, her grip on him tightens. there's something desperate in the way she clings. as if he'll slip through her fingers if she doesn't hold on for dear life. and yet, her body stills at the thought. not alone, never will be. she wants to smile, wants to agree and sink into him but the fear of losing someone so important once more has her frozen, terrified. "but," she whispers and she wants to wince at the way it sounds so small. "what if it happens again? what if i lose everyone i love?" the unspoken part lingers in the spaces between them.

what if she loses him?