3,776 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2020 20:31:58 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Paperwork.

Just how much paperwork did he have to go through?!

There were several reports he had to finish up about that squad of Rangers who had gotten ‘obliterated’ somewhere without warning; the culprit had yet to be caught and it was driving him nuts. Adding onto the pile of stress was the fact that he had lost another Ranger to the fiasco in Littleroot that had gone down, recently.

Of course he was not aware that the Ranger in question, one , was actually alive and well—but that was for another time. Either way…

Fucking papers! He thought as he rubbed the back of his neck from the pile that was in front of him. He really needed to unwind sometimes. It was here he heard the intercom, buried under several folders, crackle.

Shit, shit… he continued as he cleared the offending articles away and listened to whoever the hell was looking for him.

“What? Okay… that’s a surprise. Send him in.”

Clearly, he wasn’t going to get any more work done today.

now you got me curious, what is T H A T

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,695 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2020 20:57:27 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] Everyone has their own perception of Fernando. Rumors stem from a glimmer of truth but it is individual opinion that allows distorted images to bloom. Some of that is his own doing but his performance generally portrays a man who's married to what's best for the region — often at the cost of his own health and sanity.

Today is no different.

Fernando enters the room with an expression that matches the documents in his folder: formal and monotone.

"Anderson."

He stands before the Head Ranger's desk and holds the position until offered otherwise.

"Littleroot keeping you busy I take it?"

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,776 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2020 21:15:56 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Nightmare and a half, as always. And I thought the Night Market was bad enough, he said, offering the other to sit down on the only chair that didn’t have papers piled on it. “Sorry for the mess. Too many reports to clean up from the past few weeks.”

“Theater in ruins after that contest—several people and a whole lot more Pokémon dead. One…one Ranger among the casualties, he managed to breathe out. That was the worst part of it all—even if he did have contact with his Gym Leader friend, he didn’t have the entire story yet.

“Already lost an entire squad of Elite Rangers a few weeks ago, and now another one,” he continued shortly, reaching for a can of candies he kept on the desk and grabbing a piece. He then rattled the can slightly in the other man’s direction should he want to take one.

“Anyway, what brings you here today?”

well well

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,695 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2020 21:39:42 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] Sounds about right. Fernando knows little about the man behind the Ranger title but from what little he's picked up, his opinion of Lars isn't in the best of lights. That being said, he has nothing against him. He's still a leading figure and burdened by just as many responsibilities. Probably moreso considering the structure of the rangers.

"All good. My office looks the same."

False. Fernando's office is tidy to a tee. It's his own innate organization skills supplemented by his secretary . It helps that he's been doing it since he inherited Silph Co.

"No thank you." Fernando dismisses the offer of candy but does take a seat. The folder sits neatly in his lap.

"Wanted to discuss some matters with you. Any idea how many rangers participated in the Littleroot incident? Not the clean up but the actual debacle that was invading the Contest Hall."

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,776 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2020 21:51:05 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Now that he had a piece of salted caramel in his mouth, he let it sit there for a few moments before chewing on it a few moments and returning to the latest batch of papers on the desk.

“From the headcount that made it back to my desk—only Miss Adachi was present from the Rangers. Although I heard you were there yourself?” he inquired shortly, looking over at the other. While he was loathe to admit that his own opinions of the man were rather… sparse, he chose to keep that to himself for the moment.

“What makes you ask about how many of the Rangers were there during what went down?” he pressed on, wondering if he was going to get a straight answer, his stare never leaving the other’s expressionless face.

a careful dance

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,695 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2020 21:59:29 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] "Oh."

Just one? That changes some things. That's not the answer he was hoping for but that's the better answer overall.

"Just one. Well, that makes this explanation a lot longer than I thought."

Fernando exhales into a deep sigh before looking at his wristwatch.

"I don't want to waste your time, Anderson. Let's start off with how much you know and I'll fill in the blanks."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,776 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2020 22:16:51 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He held up the paper that had Kaida’s report and slowly slid it across the table. “Yes, just… just her.”

Blinking, he looked at the other man and wondered what he meant by ‘explanation’. He then chewed on the caramel square that was melting in his mouth for a few moments before looking up once more.

“I only know what was brought back in these reports. That Miss Adachi had died from third-degree burns to her body, although there was no evidence of immediate arson or anything of the sort. And another person had been found dead, head cracked open. Not a pretty sight,” he began as he reached for a notepad and scanned the notes he had scribbled down from the other Rangers who had come to help with the clean-up efforts.

“Some also reported seeing the so-called ‘Saint of Slateport’ there, the young lady, Miss Walker I believe. And some others also saw you there, accompanied by a Pokémon they had never seen. They said it was colored blue,” he stated, looking down at the rest of the notes once again.

He then waited for the other to fill him in on the holes and whatever else he may have missed.

that's as much as he knows

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,695 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2020 22:49:24 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Lars knows little to nothing. That's both a good and bad thing depending on how Fernando wants to spin it. His lack of knowledge makes it easier to build a narrative but there's little insight for Fernando to learn as well. Despite being there, there's still a lot he doesn't understand. Getting to the root of the situation is key to unraveling it all — an impossible task due to several missing factors.

"A public Pokemon Contest was planned to be hosted in Littleroot. Due to the contest being a public event, security was hired by the venue. Unrelated to that, a mysterious tree had sprouted."

Fernando shifts in his seat before going into his account of the story.

"Unrelated to the contest, I came with a warrant to inspect the tree and collect a sample for analysis. This was sanctioned by the research department and authorized on my own accord. The presumption was that an avatar, as well as Tapu Fini, would be attuned to handle something supernatural."

His eyes narrow as the story progresses.

"Several unknown individuals started to wander beyond the official contest stage and toward unauthorized areas. Security tried to maintain the area but there were so many that most of them managed to get by. Several Pokemon started attach security and managed to disable the security cameras set up around the perimeter. Someone managed to record footage of the incident and has uploaded it online."

Considering the impact of the Littleroot incident, 's video is the most viral topic online. It's circulating on several news outlets including the HNN.

"Security and myself were unable to stop them from entering the bottom layer. No one is sure what exactly happened but a battle broke out and multiple attacks were thrown across the building. Eventually, the building and tree collapsed, along with everything else that's written in the debrief reports."

He pauses.

"Among those that showed a flagrant disregard for private property, procedure, and the law, were Head Scientist , and presumptuously, the Ranger ."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,776 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2020 23:01:29 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He still had enough paper to go around, and had silently reached for a pen to begin scribbling down what the other man was talking about. Obviously, he’d scribbled down said notes in his other language so in case it fell into anyone else’s hands it wouldn’t be understood.

Tree. There was a tree there? He mentally noted, scribbling down notes here and there. The contest he was aware of, having watched his boyfriend perform on stage with a Rapidash that looked like it had walked and gotten lost in a forest of cotton candy. That aside…

“Wait, wait, hold up. You mentioned something about a tree. What and how did it get there?” he asked as he began to spin the pen he was holding in his hands. The rest of the story was rather confusing, to say the least.

“So—are you saying—“ he began once more when the other had mentioned Kaida once again.

“Look. Look, how—how are you going to get a testimony from Miss Adachi? You see the report there, he pointed subtly with the pen as he reached for another piece of caramel with his free hand and shredded the wrapper away. “How can you get a testimony from someone who’s dead?”

With that he popped the caramel into his mouth to sit on his tongue for a few moments, waiting for an answer. While waiting, he reviewed the newest pieces of information that he had learned just now.

@tag

well, well, well

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,695 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2020 23:12:32 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Fernando raises an eyebrow.

"...?"

He doesn't need to read the report to know the end result. Even if he wasn't a Ranger, Fernando had done his due diligence with wrapping up the general debrief of what happened. It was a shame but there's not much that could be done.

"We aren't."

He pauses deliberately to give Lars some time to think.

"That was just a retelling of what happened to give you some background information."

Fernando came here with a singular purpose but now that the opportunity presents itself, he pushes further.

"Did you know Adachi? Any idea why she would disregard security?"

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,776 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 3:55:00 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Look, here’s as much as I can tell you about Kaida—Miss Adachi, if you will, he began, rubbing the sides of his forehead. He didn’t know why, but there were the beginnings of a headache beginning to form.

“She’s very active in the field, personally—which is always good for someone who’s a Ranger. The interesting I noticed here is that she favors—favored missions that have particularly dangerous Pokémon headlining them. She always turned in her reports afterward. That’s all,” he continued as he shuffled through the rest of the piles of papers on his desk.

Finding the one that was labeled with her name, he then placed it in front of the Councilman. “Feel free to look through the reports, if you may.”

As for your question, I wouldn’t the slightest… he thought to himself as he waited for the other to speak up with what other information he had about his deceased colleague.

there we are

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,695 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 16:22:09 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Lars doesn't have much information. Fernando expected as much given the gulf between a basic ranger and the departmental head. Still, it would've been nice.

"Dangerous Pokemon..."

There's not a lot to gleam from what little Lars provides him and Fernando waves his hand to dismiss the report. "An investigation has already collected the preliminary reports. They allude to a few things but I wanted your judgement on her more than anything else. I trust you more than some officer worker who's never worked with another ranger."

He pauses to give Lars the right to make any closing statements before opening the folder on his lap.

"That being said, we've been quite busy this year. Things have not been looking good and I don't believe the region realizes the sacrifices our rangers make in the line of duty." He picks out last year's budget and the funds and spending allocated to the rangers are highlighted in yellow. He edges closer to Anderson's desk and places it on his end, sliding it over. "I had to fight tooth and nail but there have been several economic opportunities to increase League resources. We shut down some of the under-performing Gyms and found out that many of them spent an extravagant amount on baseless challenges."

There's no need to mention the political play between , , and himself. It's near impossible to push Devon out now that Alexander has returned and the head of Devon is unlikely to make such a sloppy mistake. Fernando's only choice is to diversify the League's investors to diminish Devon's influence, which he lucked out on with Asher's eagerness to jump right in.

"I've already set a draft of this quarters budget to increase ranger funding. I'll leave it to you to see how it is allocated but I hope this helps relieve some of the strain on your department. Hopefully we're able to provide for our own and enlist more trainers."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,776 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 16:45:01 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

All her reports dealt with dangerous Pokémon. Although she’s not that much of a ‘people person’ as some would put it, she’s very dedicated to her work and often volunteers for the more dangerous missions when I’m tied up elsewhere, myself. Such a shame she was on her way to becoming an Elite Ranger before she passed,” he continued with a sigh.

Chewing on the caramel piece in his mouth, he lets the salty flavor wash over his tongue for a few moments before turning to the new topic at hand.

“Welcome to my fight,” he continued with a bit of a grumble. “I know that Rangers are supposed to be some of the best people that Hoenn has to showcase and can be called a source of pride, but lately? I’ve been scrambling to find resources—funds, even. I can still remember that meeting with… he trailed off, pursing his mouth into a thin line as he internally blanched at that disaster of a meeting with the other Council members and the Commissioner.

Seeing the proof of the imbalance on paper is more than just a blow to him, it’s a personal hit to his own pride as a Ranger overall.

“See? This is what I wanted to emphasize during that meeting…” he added with a slight huff as he took the paper to read and review the expenses for the past year himself. While some of the information he already knew, the rest made his eyebrows knit together in concern.

“You… you do know, or at least aware, of the fact that I sacrifice most of my own salary so the other Rangers can get a bigger share to take home, are you?” he asked quietly as he put the paper down, thinking for a few moments.

:OGeyes:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,695 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 17:11:11 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] Lars vouches for her dedication but all Fernando hears is that Kaida is someone prone to danger. It's an assumption, but this type of mindset is rash and more willing to confront danger instead of addressing the situation with a CALM MIND. That would explain why she rushed in. Hm.

Anyway, it was all a presumption at this point. No point in digging into an obituary.

Fernando tilts his head at the new information. "I didn't know your salary was that high." He considers for a moment if he could do the same. Just considering the administration team of the League office he works at, Fernando can think of a dozen people. There's , the front desk, cafeteria staff, cleaning staff, attendants, project managers. It's nothing compared to how many rangers they had, even if they were short staffed, but in order to make sure they could take an extra $1000 home a year.

That would be $12,000. And that's just Fernando's small office. How much did Lars sink into a whole department?

To think Lars could afford to make sure that all the Rangers had at least a little something extra to take home. Either he's a monk who lives off nothing or Fernando's League endorsed salary is lacking a few digits. He makes a mental note to audit League salaries and flip to his other page.

"Well, hopefully, this year we can ease some of that burden." Fernando smiles, warm in agreeance with Lars' plight. "However, some high ranking officials have noticed a few issues with the League. They want us to address them as soon as possible."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,776 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 18:22:36 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Much as he wanted to tell the other he had a secondary job which allowed him to do that, he chose not to because he knew that it would definitely get him into trouble. There were some things that had to be kept secret, after all.

“I had a little bit of a family inheritance from my mother, so I lived off that,” he explained briefly. Hopefully that was enough to throw him away from the trail—for now.

Nodding at the mention of relieving the strain on the budget he had to juggle across the entire organization, he then looked up at the next mention of the League in general.

“What issues specifically? he asked as he reached for another caramel square and shredded off the wrapper. By some, do you mean yourself? He added to the sentence in the back of his head.

oh dear