rule number two: learn rule number one (fernando)

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
how bold I was, could be - will be - still am
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
POSTED ON Jul 14, 2020 17:06:50 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

Skyler Dross was definitely not hovering. And she was definitely not stalking the Fighting types in order to learn their secret fighting techniques and moves.

Because that would be silly, wouldn't it? Skyler definitely knew that she wasn't a Pokémon herself so she also knew for sure that she couldn't do most of the things Fighting types did. She wasn't about to try, was she?

Was she?

Squinting her eyes and frowning in concentration, she watched from behind a crate of boxes as a Medicham jumped and somersaulted through the air, landing behind its opponent just in time to deliver a powerful kick to its opponent's guts. Skyler moved her limbs in order to imitate the Medicham's moves, breathing in and out slowly. She wasn't doing any somersault, not even in her wildest dreams, but she could kick.

If she wanted to do missions with the rangers, she thought to herself, she must train and become able to kick some ass.

'Or at least defend myself.'

Concentrating, Skyler readied her muscles, tensing them before jumping and throwing out her leg in an amazing kick - yes, she did it! - when her balance suddenly started to shift and an undignified squeak left her throat as she fell in the most spectacular way, hitting her bottom on the cold, hard ground.

"Maybe I should just get a Fighting type..."

● tags:
● notes: here goes nothing!

[attr="class","cred"]VEL OF PIXEL PERFECT

[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:9px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-family:verdana;margin-top:5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:9px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Jul 14, 2020 17:59:40 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Always the people watcher, Fernando finds himself bemused by the sight of a trainer trying to mimic a battle unfolding several meters away. He remains in the background, silent, observing until she topples over herself in what seemed to be a solid, fluid motion. He can't help but laugh at her display, not out of spite but with a genuine mirth that comes from watching aspiring trainers flounder in the pursuit of greatness.

"That would be ideal."

The Councilman resides by the corner of one of the rings, scouting out the other battles, gauging the opposition. "A trainer's job and athleticism is much different than a Pokemons." Despite how the others may feel about him, there's a certain tenderness that Fernando wears when in public. Today, his smile lacks the condescending twinge that's become a trademark of his arrogance.

Today, he plays nice.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
POSTED ON Jul 14, 2020 22:12:44 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

A few moments passed as Skyler composed herself, her breath having been forced out of her by the collision with the mercilessly hard ground. She was still lying down and trying to regain her lost dignity (which was not happening anytime soon if her pride had something to say about it) when a voice came out of nowhere.

The only reason why Skyler didn't jump out of surprise was because she was already, well, lying down. As it was, she shot up, her blond curls flying every which way as she took stock of the man looming in the corner. He was looking in her direction, so there was no hope his words were intended for someone else. Which meant that someone had been witness to her perfectly disastrous attempt at a kick.

Where was the ocean so she could throw herself under the waves and hide?

"I..." She paused, forcing the blush blooming in her cheeks to behave itself, "That didn't exactly go as I intended."

Skyler wasn't, however, a defeatist by nature - especially when it came to things she found important. She got up from the floor, doing her best to to appear nonplussed by the whole affair. She wasn't sure she managed it. 'Walk it off, walk it off. He probably isn't anyone important anyway. Just toughen it out!'

"Good thing I'm not a trainer," she replied to the man, a small grin appearing on her face. "Well, I have Pokémon, but I'm not a trainer trainer." Skyler stretched her back, wincing slightly when a pain shot up her spine. "But you're right, I'm no Pokémon to try and do those things." Didn't mean she wasn't going try, foolish as it was. 

She eventually approached the man and stretched out her hand. Might as well. "Skyler Dross, professional diver and treasure hunter."

● tags:
● notes: ...
[/font][/div][/div]
[/div]
[newclass=.cred]text-align:center;font-size:9px;color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-family:verdana;margin-top:5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.cred a]color:rgb(132, 132, 132);font-size:9px;font-family:verdana;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2020 9:21:08 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Skyler Dross." Fernando repeats the name to himself to help commit it to memory. Realistically, he'll forget it by the end of the week but you'd never tell from the way he seems so pleased with their introduction. A firm handshake is the basis of any decent first impression and Fernando makes sure to his grip it tight without being overpowering.

"Fernando Silph, amateur politician and tech enthusiast." It goes without saying that Fernando avoids directly mentioning his ties to Silph Co. Anyone who doesn't know him by name isn't going to put the piece together in the moment. Instead, he allows the scenery to dictate the conversation.

"So what brings someone who isn't a trainer to the Battle Hut?"

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2020 20:43:38 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

As it was, Skyler knew next to nothing about politics or technology. Truth be told, she didn't even have a television -- but that was mostly because she spent most of her time out in the ocean. Her house was pretty much gathering dust.

"Great to meet you, Fernando." Her smile was bright and cheerfully honest as she said those words. Her embarrassment seemed to be quickly dwindling the more she spoke.

That... Was a really good question, Skyler thought. It was the one question she felt slightly silly answering, but... well. The man had already seen her make a fool out of herself. Might as well plough through.

"It's really kind of silly but..." Skyler held up her fists, showing off the fingersless gloves she was wearing, and a determined frown took over her face. "I want to learn how to fight. I thought that by watching Fighting types I'd get some inspiration." There was a slight pause. "Probably not my brightest idea."

● tags:
[/font][/div][/div]
[/div]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Jul 27, 2020 0:50:46 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] Fernando blinks at her presentation, putting one and one together, smiling when he recognizes her point. "Ah. Well that's not a bad train of thought." As if on cue, he turns to another battle, watching the Pokemon scuffle between punches and kicks, between turning back to her.

"Although you'd probably have better luck learning from a professional fighter. It's hard to learn movements from someone you can't mimic." He says that while watching a Machamp go to work against a Hitmonchan using all four of its arms. As amazing as its technique is, there's no accounting for having extra limbs. "The only thing you'll really learn here is how to have your Pokemon scrap against others."

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
POSTED ON Jul 27, 2020 9:51:39 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

"I suppose one must start somewhere," she told the man, crossing her arms as her eyes strayed to the fighting Pokémon not very far from them. "I mean, I heard that there are martial arts based on Pokémon, but I suppose they must be adapted for humans." It's not like she could grapple someone to the ground with four arms. And there was no way she could kick as hard as a Hitmonlee -- or even a Medicham for that matter.

Skyler popped her shoulders and put her arms behind her head in a relaxed position. "I could always train a Fighting type too; I have one." There was a slight pause. "I don't suppose you know a good way to train a Pokémon and yourself at the same time?"

She looked at Fernando from the corner of her eyes, but he seemed focused on the battles going on in the Battle Hut. Skyler could feel her curiosity getting the better of her, and did her best to reign it in.

She'd never been very good at that.

"What about you, what brings you here?"

● tags:

[/div]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Aug 13, 2020 9:13:51 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"True." Fernando smiles to himself, reminiscing on the foolhardy trainers who opted to take battles into their own hand. He's tasted defeat in the same manner, forever changed albeit in the worse ways. "However, that usually requires the fundamentals. Adjusting your own movements to borrow their strengths requires being able to make those movements in the first place."

When prompted, Fernando turns to her, still smiling, with a glimmer of mischief. "A trainer's training is much different than a Pokemons. At least in my school of thinking. Our purpose is movement and being able to return and deploy our Pokemon in the right spot."

Which brings about her last point.

"I'm just here to observe talented trainers. I'm not a very good battler myself so being able to watch pros is always exciting."

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
POSTED ON Sept 2, 2020 15:32:49 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

"Huh." She had to admit that the man made some very good points, some of which she wouldn't have ever thought of. She tilted her head to the side and a thoughtful expression stole over her face. "So I ought to be training with someone who knows what they're doing instead of trying to become a Machamp." The jest was there, in the slight curling of her lips and in the way her eyes brightened with good cheer. "Who would've thought?"

The trainers fighting in the arena were obviously skilled, and it showed in the way their pokémon attacked and dodged, moving with an ease made simple only by countless hours of practise. "It'll take me years to get to that level," she motioned to the arena with her chin. "I've never been in a pokémon battle before." The confession spilled from her lips easily, albeit her voice grew slightly embarrassed. 

In a world where most people went on pokémon adventures, challenging gyms and sometimes the elite four, Skyler was somewhat of an anomaly. "Anyway," she continued, waving a hand to try and shift the subject, "I might as well stay and watch for some time, since I'm here and all. I might learn a thing or two."

● tags:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2020 4:13:34 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Progress starts with the first step,” he chimes in with a cheery smile. “As long as you’re willing to make that first dip.

A match comes to an end and one of the battlefields clear out. Fernando points to it with the swivel of his head, gesturing her forward. “One of the blocks opened up if you wanted to give it a go. I’m not much of a trainer so it won’t be the best practice but I’m sure it’ll be a kinder experience than taking on any of these other veterans.

Thankfully, several of his Pokeballs are well adjusted for sandbagging.

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
POSTED ON Sept 9, 2020 21:44:30 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

The suggestion made Skyler's heart jump into her throat. There was no logical reason for her hesitation when it came to battling trainers. She'd found herself in plenty of dangerous fights against wild, territorial pokémon. Battling like this, however, had always felt different - even as a spectator. 

But Fernando was right. How would she ever know if she didn't even try? "Alright." She took a deep breath and looked at the man from the corner of her eyes. A small lopsided grin grew on her lips. "A challenge, then. I like those." Understatement of the century. Skyler thrived on challenges - or better yet, she couldn't say no to them. 

The battlefield looked much larger when one was standing on it, she thought, looking around. When Fernando took his place on the other side of the field, Skyler called out. "So, how do we do this?" 

She had several pokémon at the ready, but trainer battles and their rules were a little hazy in her mind. 

● tags:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Sept 12, 2020 19:49:34 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]She takes him up on his offer and they meet up on the empty battlefield. Fernando looks through his assortment of Pokeballs and picks one of his newer additions. With a press of a button, the Pokeball doubles in size.

Throw a Pokemon in and let them do the rest. Feel free to take command but it’s ultimately up to you to know when you need to return your Pokemon. Try not to harm the opponent too much and draw the line when you’ve obviously won.

Fernando lobs his Pokeball a few feet forward and his Shaymin Sky Form materializes in mid-air. It’s small stature is far from intimidating but it looks plenty confident with it’s brazen smirk. It continues to throw its legs back and forth, effectively running through the air instead of outright flying.

Simple enough, no?

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2020 10:43:04 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

Her mind drew a blank when she tried to recognize the Pokémon Fernando released into the battlefield. Maybe it was native to another region? Skyler was good at recognizing water types - due to obvious reasons - but others sometimes slipped her mind. She liked its attitude though. 

Her hand went to her belt where most of her pokéballs rested. There was a second of hesitation before she enlarged one of the pokéballs and released the pokémon inside.

An Altaria appeared in front of her, its melodic thrill echoing in the space around them. It looked confused for a moment before it took in the environment and saw the Shaymin on the other side of the battlefield. 

"Sounds good," she grinned at Fernando, feeling strangely excited, then turned to the Altaria. "Knock 'em out, Chorus."

The dragon type crooned out an agreement as it faced its opponent, displaying its cloud-like feathers in an attempt to appear more intimidating. Unfortunately, the COTTON GUARD only made it look... fluffier. 

● tags:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2020 9:30:17 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] “Ah. Altaria? An impressive Pokemon for someone who’s never battled.

There’s a matching smirk to her smile prior to the battle starting. It’s his attempt at both small talk and praise but that gets discarded the moment she calls for an attack. Fernando says nothing, watching in anticipation of the first attack, but finds himself pleasantly surprised by the COTTON GUARD. It may not serve as the most threatening opening but setting up against an unknown Pokemon is always smart.

He can admire due diligence.

If they’re not going to attack then put them in their place; sweet scent!

Eager to please, the Shaymin trots in a repeated circle. A faint pink gas starts to emit from its constant pacing, spreading across the field and dousing them in a SWEET SCENT.

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
POSTED ON Oct 12, 2020 10:45:24 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

So far, so good. She felt like preening under the compliment, but - she'd never really seen Chorus as a difficult pokémon to deal with. He did have his moods, but he was otherwise a very chill pokémon all around.

The sailor was suddenly brought back to reality by her opponent's next words; and even though she wasn't the one doing the battling, Skyler subconsciously planted her feet on the ground - as if she was the one about to get hit. The sweet scent, of course, was an attack neither of them (pokémon or human) could've prepared for. It swept over them, and despite her earlier feelings Skyler felt herself becoming strangely relaxed.

In front of her, Altaria was doing the same.

"Err..." For a brief moment, Skyler faltered. She usually let her team do their thing when they were battling wild pokémon. She wasn't sure she should do the same here. "Dragon Pulse it!"

A crackling wave of purple energy was shot from the Altaria's mouth and streaked toward the Shaymin. 

● tags: