stand-up routine [o/m]

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
stand-up routine [o/m]
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 8:01:34 GMT
Deleted Avatar
The sky had streaked itself with sunset—and Jess was still alone. The ex-ranger sat on the side of a dock, feet dangling off the edge of the pier. Next to her was a six-pack of Brawly Lite, stacked on top of a white plastic bag full of beach litter to keep it from blowing away.

Idly, she plucked one of the blossoms from a small bouquet and tossed it into the water. It bobbed on the surface before drifting its way under the dock, losing itself among the cobwebs there.

”Well. Guess she’s not comin’.”

She turned her face towards the painted sky, slowly letting out her breath. She remembered days like this from her childhood, tossing sticks into the river and waiting to see if they’d join up again further downstream like lovers reunited. Wish sticks, they’d called them.

”Hell of a wish, huh, bird?” The little Starly sitting on the railing gave small trill of sympathy. Jess sighed, rubbing the back of her neck. ”Guess it figures. Shoulda booked a restaurant.” She’d pick beers by the waterfront any day over a French cafe, but you’d be surprised how many women didn’t see things her way.

Still, for some reason, Jess kept waiting. She had nowhere else to be.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
stand-up routine [o/m]
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 8:46:37 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

There were very few hours in a day he would get a reprieve from all that battling at Slateport Beach.

So, the moment he saw that he wasn’t going to be roped into a battle for a couple hours, he decided to flee the scene of the crime.

If but for a few hours to rest, because holy crap he was slowly realizing how much of a sucky-ass battler he was. It wasn’t like he was throwing the match, it was more on—he wasn’t properly equipped to handle this shit!

Ugh… so loud… he thought as the shining silver Metagross finally arrived at Dewford town.

The place was far enough from Slateport, and he’d ridden the ‘Air Metagross’ express just passed out on the silver beast’s back while it skimmed close to the water’s surface enough for him to see his reflection before catching some much-needed shut-eye.

Eventually, he recalled the Metagross and then just… collapsed on the sand the moment he’d managed to regain his footing. Geez, fuck, he’d never been this exhausted before.

Mind, he wasn’t wearing a shirt, just a pair of board shorts and sandals.

splat on the sand

@jess
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
stand-up routine [o/m]
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2021 9:31:54 GMT
Deleted Avatar
The brunette lifted a hand to shade her eyes as a gleaming chrome something came skipping across the surface of the ocean, refracting light like a disco ball. “Huh. That’s a new one,” she observed, cracking a tab on one of the beer cans and taking a drink as the shining Pokemon—which turned out to be a Metagross— cruised to a halt, depositing exactly one (1) passenger on the beach. The person proceeded to fall down in the sand and not get back up again.

All right.

She took a deep breath and counted to ten in her head. It was a good strategy for making sound decisions, and more importantly, for leaving enough time for someone else to do something. Anyone? No? Just me? She was the only one who’d seen it?

...As she’d observed so thoroughly before, she was the only one out here. And it looked like this guy was the only one coming to meet her.

“Bird,” Jess said aloud to get her Starly’s attention. The black-and-white Pokemon gave a little jump and flutter to look at her, twisting her head this way and that. “Check he’s all right, won’t you? I’ll be right over.” That kind of ride didn’t look comfortable for long distances—if something was wrong, hell, she didn’t want to be the one swinging her feet and whistling while a man fell dead on the beach. Feeling sorry for herself (for now) could wait.

Bird fluttered up and over the side of the dock, dipping in the air until she could swoop over the shirtless body in the sand. Doing as she’d been trained, the little Starly fluttered her wings and landed in the center of Lars’s chest. Feeling breath and a heartbeat, she let out a bright, sing-song trill of notes to let her Ranger companion know he was alive. This was cause for celebration!

Jess had managed to get to her feet, scooping up her six-pack as an afterthought. She made it down the dock and out onto the sand at a slow, uneven jog. Jesus, I got more cramped sitting out there than I thought.

“Hey, you okay, beach guy?” She wasn’t too worried, since Bird had signaled he seemed all right, but she owed him fair warning. “You in need of resuscitation?” In the movies that looked like mouth-to-mouth CPR, but in reality it was more like Jess jamming her knuckles into someone’s sternum and rubbing against the bone so hard they woke up from the friction. Wasn’t so fun or filmable.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
stand-up routine [o/m]
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2021 17:57:16 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Honestly, the moment he hit the sand, he continued his—snooze.

Fuck, why did it feel so cathartic to pass out on the sand and just—black out, forget about everything that had happened the entire day? Shit, he hadn’t realized his legs were actually trembling from sheer exhaustion until he’d circled around to that fact.

However, his slumber on an abandoned beach was not to be—as he felt something settle on his chest.

“Mmph—what’d you want—” he mumbled, eyes still closed as he could still feel the stinging late-afternoon rays of sunlight against his eyelids.

“No—not really,” he groaned in exhaustion, before cracking one eye open to see he wasn’t alone.

There was a Starly on his chest, and there was someone else—a woman, looked close to his age, he wasn’t sure—before he raised his hand to block out the rest of the late-afternoon sunlight.

“If you have a drink, that would be fantastic,” he continued, squinting as he blinked and eventually cracked both of his eyes open, the better to get a look at his companion for the afternoon.

he awake for now

@jess

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
stand-up routine [o/m]
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2021 2:22:32 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"Happy to help," Jess responded. She eased down in the sand next to the blonde man, stretching out both legs before letting them thump down. "Seems like serendipity. I got drinks, and you look like you need one."

She set the condensation-covered six-pack down in the wet sand-- the lapping waves would keep them cool and keep most of the dry sand off the outside. She brushed one off and held it out to Lars, shooing her partner off his chest so she could set the can there instead. Maybe the cold against his bare skin would help wake him up.

"There you go. C'mon, sit up, I'm not gonna feed it to you." She grinned, wry, and pulled her head back out of his eyeline as she settled back down. "There's a hell of a sunset you're missing." 

The date who'd never shown up was fading in her mind as she sat back in the sand, drinking from her open beer and watching the sun dip lower in the sky. It felt good. Relaxing. Like moving on, instead of waiting 'til nightfall with flowers in her lap. 

"What's got you so beat, beach guy?"

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
stand-up routine [o/m]
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2021 3:32:12 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Shifting over on his position in the sand, he caught sight of something familiar—even if it wasn’t a lager, he’d take it at this point.

Finally sitting up from his ‘fallen’ position on the sand, he then shook out his hair for a few moments as he realized he’d just flat-out crashed on the sand without thinking. Well, as best as he could anyway.

At the inquiry about what had gotten him in his current state, he sighed minutely. Reaching for the can, he cracked it open with one hand before letting it rest against his fingers. Damn, the soothing coolness of the metal centered him.

“Been battling people one after another the whole day, and I haven’t gotten the chance to rest until now,” he began as he licked his lips to get them moistened up before taking a drink out of the can he held.

“One-on-one battling isn’t my best field of expertise, but I thought I’d try the challenge. It’s taking place down at the Slateport beach,” he explained.

his exhaustion caught up with him

@jess

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
stand-up routine [o/m]
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2021 3:58:14 GMT
Deleted Avatar
“Oh sure, I heard all the hullabaloo up north. You’re in that star tournament, then?” Jess’s eyes crossed the bay, drawn towards the far side. If she squinted, she thought she could see the dark shape of the headland in the distance. Slateport really was just a hop, skip, and a Metagross ride away.

Speaking of the Metagross... “Can’t be all bad, if you’re piloting something like that.” Jess raised her drink as if to toast the mirror-bright steel-type. It looked like something from another planet. “I get you, though. I was never a real battler either. Counted on the Pokémon to do all the real work.”

She took a long, thoughtful sip of the beer. Her head dropped slightly, resting her chin on one hand. “They got it tougher than we do.”

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
stand-up routine [o/m]
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2021 4:13:55 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Yeah, and shit, it’s much more exhausting than it really sounds,” he agreed, taking another sip from the can he had with him.

“Although, there are some who live for battling one-on-one,” he added a few moments later after another long drink from the can. Damn, it was already at half and he hadn’t even gotten started telling the entire story just yet.

“All kinds of battles… one-on one, doubles, triples—the whole ten yards. Some of the more unusual methods involved a paintball war. Weird, if you ask me,” he tacked on after letting the silence fall between them.

At least he wasn’t alone with the fact that he sucked at battling, in general.

“They definitely do,” he nodded as he squinted into the contents of the can. Shit, was it almost gone?! Was he really that tired?!

“Can’t blame ‘em if they want a break, like we do.”

a MOOD

@jess

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
stand-up routine [o/m]
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2021 15:15:44 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Some people might have watched a man finish off a can of 7% in the space of minutes and said "Slow Down."

"Drink up," Jess said, the corner of her mouth twitching in what was suspiciously close to a smile. 

She stretched out her legs in the sand, feeling her heels dig into the line where the shore met the sea. From the way the guy described the string of endless battles, it sure sounded like the League had pulled out all the stops for this one.

Her lips pursed, letting out a soft, low whistle once he finished. "Sounds like a real gauntlet," she said. "Guess they weed out the small fry if they run y'all through the wringer on the first day." Jess didn't know much about the competitive scene, but in the wild, endurance and versatility won out over brute strength. If the initial round of contestants made it through, the fights would come less-- but they'd be just as tough to make up for it.

Still, it seemed like a hell of a lot to put yourself through just for some tournament title. "So what're you battling for?" she asked. She pulled another beer off the plastic loop and passed it to her shirtless companion. "Money? Fame? Girls? ...Guys?"

Jess winked, taking a sip of her drink.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
stand-up routine [o/m]
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2021 16:31:29 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Sooner or later, the can in his hand was empty, all contents gone and demolished.

“You mind if I get another one?” he asked, eyeing the remaining cans of beer. “I went through this first one like it was water. Sorry. Guess I didn’t realize I was that exhausted until now,” he added with a chuckle.

Waiting for permission to grab a second can for himself, he looked up at the fiery-colored sky, touched by blotches of dark blue and purple as the sun slowly set on the horizon.

“For me, honestly?” he mused as he pondered just why he’d entered the insanity in the first place.

“I wanted to test my skills as a battler. That’s it, really. I normally…handle things in unconventional ways and means, not brute-forcing whatever into submission. It’s…just not my style.”

more beer pls?

@jess

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
stand-up routine [o/m]
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 14:39:07 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"Sure," Jess said, pushing the can she'd fetched for him at the shirtless man. She pulled it back abruptly, having a thought. "Say, you ain't sunburned, are you? Must have been hot out there today." She eyed him again-- if he was suffering from any kind of heat exhaustion, the alcohol wouldn't do him any favors.

Then again, if he had heatstroke, he'd probably feel too sick to drink. After a moment, she relinquished the can. 

His answer about battling was fair, and Jess hummed thoughtfully. "So what's the consensus? What wins-- brute force, or unconventional tactics?" She broke off one of the beer tabs and rolled it between her fingers. There's no clear answer in Pokemon battling, conventional wisdom aside. Sometimes in the wild, the big and strong ones just take the prize. That's the way of the world. 

But that was for individual Pokemon. Individual cases. Over time, species who adapted had higher success rates than those who won skirmishes on a one-to-one basis. "If you ask me, nobody was made to take the world head on," she said lightly after a moment, enjoying the sunset. "Hell, especially not Pokemon."

On Hoenn, like most League regions, a Pokemon's usefulness came from the way they meshed with other species. Opponents and teammates-- and the trainer themselves. It was a tricky business, and not one Jess thought herself an expert in. But it didn't take a genius to figure out the winner of a battle didn't necessarily win the war. Without something like a Tournament, how was anyone supposed to know what did?

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
stand-up routine [o/m]
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 14:53:06 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Naw, nothing like that. They were giving away free sunblock down at the beach, someone’s sponsored a lot of it so everyone got like a bottle or two for themselves just like that,” he said as he gratefully reached for the can and popped the top open with just one finger.

He considered the question for a few moments, before deciding on his answer.

“For some, it’s brute force. For others, it’s being sneaky. But for me, personally? Having a myriad of options available to you would definitely catch anyone by surprise. Not all battles are meant to be brute-forced,” he continued as he took another drink of beer.

“Always have differing tactics on-hand. Something I learned while I was in Alto Mare previously. Don’t rely on routine, you’d be way too easy to read, he added a few moments later.

Much tempted as he was to lie back down on the sand, their topic of discussion was something that made a lot of sense. Battling wasn’t everything all the time, so how could Trainers go through all of that on a daily basis? Without getting sick and tired of it?

It wasn’t until much later did he realize he forgot to ask something very important…

“Oh, I’m dumb,” he spoke up after the silence had settled between them.

“Drinkin’ your beer, without me even introducin’ myself—sorry I’m such an idiot. My name’s Lars,” he said, holding the half-full can her way in a salute.

he finally realized he forgot to do something lol

@jess

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
stand-up routine [o/m]
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2021 15:27:59 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"Alto Mare?" She glanced at him through half-lidded eyes, feeling relaxed. "I grew up in Azalea Town just north of there, across the channel. Went there on a field trip once or twice, but haven't been back since I was a kid." Her lips were looser than usual tonight-- sober, she was a little more wary about who she clued in on her life story. But the alcohol and ambiance had done their work, and the distress of getting stood up on her lame date had almost faded away. 

She was so relaxed she didn't even notice the silence which fell between them-- not until Lars broke it with his name. She turned to him with a crooked half-smile. "Lars from Mars. Gotcha. Your UFO got a name, too?" She thumbed at the Metagross who'd so kindly deposited its blonde trainer on the beach.

"I'm Jess. I guess. It's been awhile." She sighed. "Though whatever you wanna call me, I'm open to it. Lookin' for a fresh start, wouldn't mind a new name to go with it."

Jess the Ranger had been shredded with the rest of her files when she'd gotten fired. That's what she imagined, anyway-- technically, she was on "official leave", but she knew what that pedantic shit meant. She was never getting back into Almia, not without dragging her ass through court and probably the nine hells to boot.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
stand-up routine [o/m]
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2021 20:48:22 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

At the crack made when he introduced himself, he chuckled for a few moments.

“No, he’s not a UFO, but to someone who’s not from Hoenn, Metagross can give off that vibe,” he said after taking another sip from the can in his hand. “His name’s Ro. I say ‘he’, even if in reality the Beldum line are genderless. He’s fine with it though,” he added with another chuckle.

The Metagross had folded its legs underneath its body and was just there, a literal silver boulder absorbing the last rays of the setting afternoon sun, glad to be away from so many people battling all over Slateport Beach.

Her words made him backtrack, though—although he was considering inquiring about not asking, the beer made him much more talkative than he normally was.

“A while?” he inquired, curiosity getting the better of him. “I—I mean, I don’t want to pry if you don’t want to talk about it, if that’s alright. Sorry.”

he be curious

@jess

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
stand-up routine [o/m]
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2021 12:32:18 GMT
Deleted Avatar
 It's been awhile. What had she meant by that?

It seemed like the beer was getting the best of her already, and she wasn't even keeping up with Lars, who was on his second. Jess pulled another can off the ring and set it beside herself as she tipped her head to the side, thinking.

"Been a while since I did this, I mean. Introductions. I was working over in Almia before this-- not so populated out there. Close community. Feels like everyone used to know my name." She gave him a wry glance, lips quirking slightly. "I actually just got here a few days ago. Y'know, I'll tell you--" she said, scuffing her feet in the sand, "I've been all over the world, but never been to Hoenn. First time."

She finished her beer while she mulled the thought, pouring the last of the dregs onto the sand. She cracked open the next one, eyes on the horizon.

"The cities are noisy. The weather's hot. The Pokemon are... shiny," Jess said, shading her eyes from the sunlight glinting off the mirror-bright Ro, "The dating scene's bullshit. So what's there to do around here? I ain't much for battles, like I said." She was quick to dismiss the possibility of entering the tournament-- publicity and public eye was the last thing she wanted.