TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
SILPH VS ANDERSON
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 22:11:49 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SILPH VS ANDERSON

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN AVATAR AND ARBITOR

“ANDERSON!”

Fernando’s booming voice pierces the constant stream of chatter that comes from the battles that wash ashore on Slateport’s beach. He can spot the Header Ranger anywhere. The sudden rise of Lars’ products making his features all too familiar. Articuno proves to be one of the more merchandisable Legendaries among the AQUA initiative which paints an easy target on his back.

There is no escape. Not when it comes to a challenge. Much like with Blades and Bulwark, Fernando relishes competition. Anything in the pursuit of self improvement. This time, he does so in person.

From across the beach, Fernando gives his peer a single wave. Hot sand slips between his toes as his sandals dig in with every step. There are temporary arenas set up all across the coast and Fernando is far from picky.

But first, his AQUA partner has to accept.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
SILPH VS ANDERSON
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 22:47:23 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

After the battles he’d managed to scrape by with a victory, Lars was taking a break down by one of the soda pop stands that was hawking this strange ‘ramune’, that had a marble in the bottle.

He didn’t know why there was a marble inside it, but that was half the fun of it. Plus the bottle looked—

The moment he heard the voice, though, he sighed. “Really?” he said with a sigh as he took another drink from the bottle before turning to face the owner of the voice.

“Oh, it’s you,” he deadpanned as he ran a hand through his hair. It wasn’t spiked up and gelled today, because of the earlier battle that had him diving into the water.

He knew of the ex-Councilman’s reputation as an analytical, if somewhat obsessive, battler—as the man was now just a Gym Leader. Or so that’s what he knew.

“If it’s a battle, let me finish my drink first.”

He then held up the bottle he was holding, before tipping it back and downing the contents all in one.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
SILPH VS ANDERSON
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 23:14:00 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SILPH VS ANDERSON

“OH?”

Fernando slides a keen smile across the space between them. He looks more surprised than anything, eyebrows notched. “Are you taking challenges, Anderson?

He doesn’t need a verbal answer. Anyone on the beach is prone to being challenged. Not officially, yes, but the social context of the event means being bombarded by request if you look unoccupied for too long.

A sweeping glance over scenery reveals several open arenas. Some lie closer to the water while others sit deep into the sand. Either will suffice but he wonders which one is more prone to forcing Lars into bringing out his ace.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
SILPH VS ANDERSON
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 23:20:51 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“I mean, we’re already out here, so anyone’s pretty much fair game,” he said with a shrug as he returned the bottle to the stand, as the bottles would be taken down for recycling later.

“So—what kind of battle do you want?” he asked once he was close enough.

He hoped it wasn’t going to be one of the weird formatted battle styles that had come out of the Unova region—the rotation battle stlye for one? That was a crazy one, and he’d only seen a few of those that had concluded so far.

“And what Pokémon are you bringing along?”

Better to be prepared than to be sorry later.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
SILPH VS ANDERSON
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 23:29:50 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SILPH VS ANDERSON

THAT’S ALL THE AFFIRMATION HE NEEDS. Fernando flirts his fingers across the sun bathed surface of his Pokeballs. Almost a dozen sit on the pair of cloth belts ties over his swimming trunks. He counts them before laughing.

I have a few left. Might as well use them up?

He has a battle format in mind but revealing it without knowing if Anderson will take the bait is foolish. So he resigns himself to pairing Lars’ question with one of his own.

Tapu Fini has been eager to exercise itself so far. Feeling confident enough to show me how far you and Articuno have come?

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
SILPH VS ANDERSON
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 23:47:54 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Bringing out the big guns, I see, he thought as his eyebrows went up as the other mentioned the legendary Pokémon that worked with him.

(Or maybe it was serving him, he wasn’t sure. However, he was fairly certain the two had a different way of ‘getting along’, much like how he was at the mercy of someone who could snark even worse than the worst judge on reality television with a poker face.)

To be fair, he’d let the deity have free rein around the lowest areas of Shoal Cave, but to actually go up against another, with a legendary that most people knew to only exist in folklore and tales?

“Want to give everyone a show? I wouldn’t object to that.”

Now the next question was.

“How many extra Pokémon are allowed asides from our—main event?”

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
SILPH VS ANDERSON
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2021 23:59:12 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SILPH VS ANDERSON

“AH.”

Fernando notes the trainers around them before dismissing the notion with a shake of his head. “I’m more interested in your progress than creating spectacle—

And then the question hits and an idea sparks.

—but I’m sure we can do both.

Unovian battles are all the rage these days. While Kalos has their own, the exclusion of sticking to Pokemon that can fly act as a gate that stifle their popularity. The unsightly chaos of having three Pokemon out at once leaves trainers wonderous as they try to micromanage their teams.

I have two other Pokemon with me but they’re not much for battling.

He clicks his tongue.

You have your Beast Killer with you? See how long Tapu Fini can last against your Pokemon? A one-sided Triple Battle might humble it some.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
SILPH VS ANDERSON
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2021 0:23:27 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He was pretty sure the other two Pokémon the ex-councilman mentioned, at least, were there as extra ‘reserves’ no matter how he put it.

“I do have him with me right now.”

That was about as much as he was willing to disclose. He was rather certain the other knew of how to ‘change’ the Silvally’s form at this point, and so kept quiet about it.

“Have at it, then.”

Reaching into the pockets of the shorts he wore, he pulled out—only two Pokéballs. One a Heavy Ball, the other a Dusk Ball.

“You must wonder if I keep mine in something like this. They don’t like being contained to such a tiny space. However, should I call for them—they will answer.”

(By ‘mine’, he meant the Articuno.)

He then took up his position at the other side of the outdoor arena.

This is going to get messy… are you ready? He thought, wondering if the deity would answer.

‘Idiot, I heard everything! Are you serious?!’ he heard the familiar voice snark him in the back of his mind.

Well, he wants to see you in battle, how can I refuse? Just—get ready for when I do summon you, he went on as he released the two other Pokémon he was going to use—Amir the Silvally, who landed on all-fours, and to nobody’s surprise, his ‘ace’, Ro the Metagross.

“One moment.”

He then moved over to the compartment on the side of the Silvally’s head and searched through his other pocket, pulling out something and sliding it in, before tapping it shut. The normally-white color of the Silvally’s ‘head fins’ and ‘tail’ had—well, while there wasn’t too much change, Lars could easily tell which one of the seventeen strange items he had on him he’d used.

“They’ll come when we get started.”

Was he going to be flashy? So be it.

Metagross and Silvally out on the field! Articuno will appear. Just wait.

battle theme

endeavor completed: include a battle theme in post!

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
SILPH VS ANDERSON
POSTED ON Jun 27, 2021 12:08:44 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SILPH VS ANDERSON

“GOOD.”

Fernando is quite pleased with the turn of events. While the match is undeniably slanted against him, a trainer of Lars’ caliber isn’t a treat he gets to indulge in often. Not only does he get to pit Tapu Fini against another Avatar but a Beast Killer as well; the third Pokemon is inconsequential, but he expects something just as suitable.

Likewise,” he answers with a curtness that contrasts with Lars’ own explanation. Few words are spoken when Fernando takes his spot on the other side of the arena.

Two Pokeballs reveal the other Pokemon he’s kept on him: Clefairy and Alomomola. In consideration to the other Pokemon he owns, it should be no surprise that these are the last ones left. Their inability to battle means they’re never chosen for straight forward combat. However, this proves the exception to the rule.

His Alomomola nestles itself in a small puddle closer to his side of the field. Sparse pools of water liter the beach to allow water Pokemon some breathing room without having to retreat back to sea.

The Clefairy remains by his side, held between his arms like a plushie.

All he needs is Tapu Fini but the Pokemon remains out of sight. It isn’t until he expels a sudden gust of MISTY TERRAIN does its silhouette appear. When Fernando generates enough to mimic the MISTY SURGE, the Pokemon appears, materializing from the vapor as it whisked into existence.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
SILPH VS ANDERSON
POSTED ON Jun 28, 2021 20:41:03 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

His memory about status-preventing moves was mostly limited to Safeguard at best, however when the familiar pink terrain made its appearance, he let out a hiss because this one particular terrain was one he didn’t like fighting on.

Therefore, his strategy was going to be delayed—if but for a little bit.

However, that also meant he had enough time to set up his side of the field—if he remembered right, water eventually froze into ice, something which he had spades of.

The skies above darkened, before the silhouette of an avian burst through, revealing the Articuno in all its glory.

‘Oh. So it’s him.’

‘Yeah, it’s him.’

‘Am I free to go all out—’

‘I know you’ve been itching for a scrap, so here it is I’m giving it to you!

The Silvally stood hunched, ready to strike, however the first thing Lars said was—

Metal Sound.”

A loud shrieking noise that sounded like nails being scraped down a chalk board shook the area, before the deity above him summoned down a powerful Hail storm, bringing chunks of ice to bear and crash down, an attempt to negate the terrain.

“I asked before if your legendary could communicate with you—still remember that?” he asked the ex-Councilman across the arena.

Silvally used Metal Sound, while Articuno prepares with a Hail storm, changing the weather! (1 / 5)

battle theme

endeavor completed: use a weather-changing move!

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
SILPH VS ANDERSON
POSTED ON Jun 28, 2021 22:41:06 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SILPH VS ANDERSON

FERNANDO WINCES AT THE SOUND OF THE SILVALLY’S SCREECH. His Pokemon, with the exception of Tapu Fini, shudder as well. Shivers crawl underneath their skin, goosebumps rising despite the warmth of their sunbathed skin. It almost offsets the sudden frigidness of the oncoming HAIL.

But as sure as the Tapu Fini exists so too will the MISTY TERRAIN. The terrain emanates from both Avatar and Patron. Fernando’s power may be singular but it is persistent. It comes as natural as breathing.

Huh?

He yells while motioning to his ear. The METAL SOUND proves deafening enough that Lars’ words seem like a whisper in comparison.

Can’t hear you Anderson. Either way, prepare yourself.

His Clefairy remains tucked between his arms, unharmed as the MAGIC GUARD shields away the HAIL with a translucent barrier that protects Fernando as well. It chirps with a quiet prayer, casting LUCKY CHANT in a bid to aid Tapu Fini.

Likewise, the Alomomola retreats into the recesses of is pool, WISHING its ally well.

Battle routine set!

He can hear his voice echo within his skull. That’s about the most of what he can hear as the Tapu Fini locks eyes with the bird above.

Execute!

Tapu Fini never looks away the Articuno as the MISTY TERRAIN reaches every nook and cranny of the artificial arena. Their avatar powers come to full effect as glitter blends in with the sand. Electricity starts to pulse from across the field, NATURE’S MADNESS crackling as several arcs leap out at Silvally and Metagross.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
SILPH VS ANDERSON
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2021 7:04:36 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Lars did his waiting.

Twelve years Five turns of it.

Well he wasn’t going to be locked up somewhere, but that Safeguard really impeded his chances of going full-tilt. At the same unfortunate time the Hail was fading, but he was here, determined to bring down utter hell once the opening presented itself.

While he would have to refresh the damned weather on his next turn, the fact of the matter was—it was show time.

“Go all-out.”

Those were his only words, before the iceborne deity finally let out a shriek of what he knew was utter sadistic joy, bringing down a powerful Blizzard upon the other side of the battlefield.

The Silvally joined in, rushing forward and charging up for an Ice-type Multi-Attack, while the Metagross aided with the Blizzard’s trajectory by firing off a Telekinetic surge of power at the blue-shelled deity, an attempt to hold it up and make it easier for the incoming cavalcade of Ice-type attacks to come crashing down upon it.

Articuno is hella pissed, and drops down a powerful Blizzard on Tapu Fini! Silvally joins the attack with an Ice-type Multi-Attack, while Metagross plays rear defensive line and assists with a Telekinesis!

(Hail on 5 / 5, regenerating next turn)

battle theme

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
SILPH VS ANDERSON
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2021 7:57:53 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SILPH VS ANDERSON

DIVIDE AND CONQUER VERSUS ALL FOR ONE. The battle plays out as expected as Lars’ expertly commands his Pokemon to attack from all angles. Their assault is relentless. But Tapu Fini does not fight alone. The caveat for the Head Ranger’s advantage is that his other two Pokemon get to support the Legendary uncontested.

A WIDE GUARD comes up as the BLIZZARD rains down. Frigid air and constant snow batter against a barrier, causing it to crack as the storm is weathered into something more tame.

Lars’ Silvally breaks through the WIDE GUARD with ease. Focusing all its power into a single attack pierces the barrier as it comes closer to the suspended Tapu Fini. It remains levitated due to the TELEKINESIS, bracing itself as the MULTI-ATTACK comes head on.

But coming into melee range means the Silvally is exposed as well. NATURE’S MADNESS crackles, amplified by Clefairy’s HELPING HAND. Wild electric surges of fae energy lashes out in all directions. A pulse of energy explodes as the NATURE’S MADNESS flairs up the MISTY TERRAIN around it.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
SILPH VS ANDERSON
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2021 9:06:17 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Get ‘im out of there!” he shouted the moment Amir veered too close, way too close for comfort.

Backpedaling for a few moments, the Metagross stood his ground and shifted the Telekinetic force on the Silvally, an attempt to pull him backwards—but still getting the brunt force of the attack.

As the winds were dying down, another flap of the deity’s wings refreshed the Hail, it coming down in earnest and starting to crack and shatter part of the outdoor arena they were fighting at.

The Silvally howled in rage, before releasing a Rock Slide to drop on the Alolan deity’s head as he was pulled backwards, out of range and back to safety—

“Idiota,” he hissed to himself. If that was how it was going to go down, then so be it—

Tapping the ring he had on, the energies welling from it began to react to the Metagross, surrounding it in a burst of light before it shifted form.

Looks like the deity was going to need some more help, anyway.

Metagross shifts targets, bringing the Silvally back with Telekinesis but not without damage. Silvally takes most of the damage before attempting to drop a Rock Slide on Tapu Fini, while the Hail storm is refreshed thanks to the deity.

(Hail on 1 / 5)

What's this?

(1 / 3)

battle theme

objective completed: destroy a part of the arena + use Mega Evolution!

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,741 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
SILPH VS ANDERSON
POSTED ON Jul 18, 2021 3:47:12 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SILPH VS ANDERSON

GREAT BOULDERS FALL ATOP THE TAPU FINI. Each one batters against its shell, rolling off after leaving an appropriately sized dent on its cover. Clefairy’s prayer, a well meaning WISH, helps patch up some of the scruff marks but the damage is clear. Pain strikes a nerve as the Pokemon reclines into its shell.

But pain does not deter the spiteful monster. It thrives on vengeance. Without it, the VINDICTIVE is no more than an uncontrolled sense of fury. Thankfully, the battle gives direction. That hate is channeled onto a deserving victim: their opponents.

When the shell snaps back open Tapu Fini’s eyes glare with the cerulean harshness of vicious tides. The water around the arena raises before surging forward, looking to sweep everyone away with a mighty SURF.