gleam

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
gleam
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 18:01:17 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Like a date. Like a date. Like a date.

The realization dawns on her in a cold sweat and she stares at him, wide-eyed and panicked. She even glances at the other young man as he pulls the clipboard back. For whatever reason, he seems to be amused, chuckling under his breath while he walks away, likely with the Tyrogue in tow.

Leaving Avery all by herself to stand across from Cian with weak knees and a fluttery heartbeat.

"Yes! That's right! Probably one of my favourites, they have the dressing I like."

Somehow, she manages to steel herself into an appropriate response despite being breathless a moment ago. Avery smiles, still visibly bewildered, before setting the tray of cookies on the desk. She turns around, and then around again, glancing about the room for her purse.

"I set my purse down.. somewhere.. ahh..."

But it is hanging just near the front door beneath her jacket, she is just too overwhelmed and anxious to think about it.

close tab

played by

noodles

triple h
he/him
twenty-seven
september 14th
rustboro
bisexual
rustboro gym leader
champion (hoenn & vct)
now come together, come apart
awards
3,933 posts
CIAN MAHER DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cian
CIAN MAHER
gleam
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 18:07:29 GMT
CIAN MAHER Avatar
[attr="class","cian"]after a final signature of his initials, he hands the clipboard back over to the other employee, smiling as he turns back to avery.

without missing a beat, he says:

"oh! uh, let me help you find it."

he doesn't bother asking for details because it's likely the only purse in here. he wanders around the room, sifting, before coming across her jacket by the front door.

"i think i found it!"

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.cian] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .cian b { color: #716075; font-size: 13px; } .cian u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #716075; font-size: 13px; } .cian a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .cian .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .cian .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .cian .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .cian .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
gleam
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 18:25:02 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"No, that's okay you don't have to--!"

But he was going to anyway. How humiliating, to be reduced to such a flustered, overwhelmed mess at the drop of a hat. She blushes deeper, watching as he finds it without a hitch. Timidly, Avery approaches, bashful and embarrassed.

"Right.. on the coat hook. That's where I usually leave it."

She chuckles nervously, breathlessly, before reaching for it.

close tab

played by

noodles

triple h
he/him
twenty-seven
september 14th
rustboro
bisexual
rustboro gym leader
champion (hoenn & vct)
awards
3,933 posts
CIAN MAHER DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cian
CIAN MAHER
gleam
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 18:44:30 GMT
CIAN MAHER Avatar
[attr="class","cian"]he chuckles as well, not bothered in the slightest at any awkwardness that might have surfaced; none surface for him.

"the coat hook; i'll remember for next time."

lifting the jacket and the purse off, he extends it over to her so she doesn't have to reach far for it.

"it's a pretty jacket. suits you really well."

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.cian] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .cian b { color: #716075; font-size: 13px; } .cian u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #716075; font-size: 13px; } .cian a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .cian .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .cian .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .cian .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .cian .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
gleam
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 18:52:02 GMT
Deleted Avatar
For next time.

Did that mean.. no- no of course not. That was ridiculous, wishful thinking maybe. She needed to stop overthinking, stop thinking about it in general.

Inhale, exhale.. inhale.. exhale..

Her fingers bump against the jacket, fumbling where he holds it out for her. Avery lowers her gaze briefly before shrugging it on, tucking it closed against her chest and awkwardly regarding him.

"You're really sweet.. pink is my favourite colour."

The purse, on the other hand, is something quite colourful and loud. It's handmade, crocheted or something and very well-worn. She loops it over her shoulder slowly, hesitating only because she doesn't know what else to say. Frankly, she still can't believe he's asked her to get lunch. Or dinner. Or whatever meal this was, what time was it again?

close tab

played by

noodles

triple h
he/him
twenty-seven
september 14th
rustboro
bisexual
rustboro gym leader
champion (hoenn & vct)
awards
3,933 posts
CIAN MAHER DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cian
CIAN MAHER
gleam
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 18:59:00 GMT
CIAN MAHER Avatar
[attr="class","cian"]it's about five which is basically dinner time.

"it's a great color. mine is...black, i think. is that even a color?"

he laughs, shrugging as he pulls open the door. holding it open, he gestures towards it.

"after you."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
gleam
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 19:06:20 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"It's a shade, I think. Or all of the colours put together. Something like that."

She hesitates for only a moment, embarrassed and flattered all at once when he holds the door open for her. It's cheesy, but it's sweet, and she's definitely overthinking it.

And only after they've walked a ways does she find her voice again:

"So, umm.. are you new to the city?"

close tab

played by

noodles

triple h
he/him
twenty-seven
september 14th
rustboro
bisexual
rustboro gym leader
champion (hoenn & vct)
awards
3,933 posts
CIAN MAHER DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cian
CIAN MAHER
gleam
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 19:13:40 GMT
CIAN MAHER Avatar
[attr="class","cian"]cian doesn't mind the silence; it's welcome against the bustling of lilycove, especially when it's right about to hit rush hour. in fact, it might have already started. but he welcomes her question all the same.

"kinda! i've been here a few times, mostly for races or tournaments."

he clarifies:

"i used to be a runner and now i'm a trainer. i'm actually here to prep for the tournament in slateport next week. but i take it battling isn't really your thing."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
gleam
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 19:20:34 GMT
Deleted Avatar
The bustle of the city has long since become background noise. All of the people and the Pokemon are a welcome sight and probably part of the reason she stayed late some days from the daycare.

Already, she can see a few of the elderly couples sitting out on patios and such, enjoying an evening tea or coffee. They wave, and she waves back.

"Oh? Are you famous?"

Should she know him? Oh dear, she probably should. As discreetly as possible, Avery looks at him more closely, fighting the urge to be distraught or humiliated. She knew practically everyone in the city at this rate, but he did not look the least big familiar: it was why she had asked in the first place.

"Ahh, yes! That makes sense. Uh--" momentarily, her eyes widen and she glances up at him, uncomfortable, "I hope that you saw on the form that I don't do battling or anything for the Pokemon during their visit at the daycare."

But he must, because he inquires immediately after about battling not being her thing. She blushes, glances down at her feet, swallows.

"I just think it's a bit.. unkind, I guess, to put your Pokemon through that. Even if they want to, I mean, it seems unnecessary to hurt each other intentionally."

close tab

played by

noodles

triple h
he/him
twenty-seven
september 14th
rustboro
bisexual
rustboro gym leader
champion (hoenn & vct)
awards
3,933 posts
CIAN MAHER DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cian
CIAN MAHER
gleam
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 19:28:43 GMT
CIAN MAHER Avatar
[attr="class","cian"]he waves back as well, even going so far as to smile and mutter a few passing greetings at a few of them.

"no, no! i'm like, a d-tier celebrity at best."

feeling her gaze on him, he keeps looking forward, allowing her the opportunity to look for as long as she wants to.

"i definitely understand. battling's not for everyone, that's for sure. i've started doing it less, too."

he might even retire after the tournament, but the decision has yet to be made. it's certainly tempting.

"how long have you been running the daycare for? it's one of the best i've visited."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
gleam
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2021 19:36:16 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"Oh, okay."

That both did and did not make her feel any better, but it does prompt her to drop her gaze. He definitely did not look familiar to her, but she can't honestly say that she paid much attention to racing or the like. In fact:

"Did you race on foot? Or.. with Pokemon, like Rapidash?"

She blurts it out without warning, effectively interrupting his own train of thought and his attempt to ask her a question first. It leaves her mouth dry and she clears her throat awkwardly. She chews the inside of her cheek nervously, finger tapping against her purse.

"A long time! I've been helping my grandparents ever since I was a little kid. I took it over for them in the past few years or so, but they still help out once in a while. It's theirs still, even if that's not what it says on the paperwork."

Was that too much information?

"That's really nice to hear! But I'm sure the other daycares around are just as nice!"

close tab

played by

noodles

triple h
he/him
twenty-seven
september 14th
rustboro
bisexual
rustboro gym leader
champion (hoenn & vct)
awards
3,933 posts
CIAN MAHER DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cian
CIAN MAHER
gleam
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2021 9:40:03 GMT
CIAN MAHER Avatar
[attr="class","cian"]"on foot, sadly. i'm fast but i don't think i could keep up with a rapidash."

but he's never tried to. huh. maybe that'll be part of his next training regimen.

it isn't too much information — he nods, smiles, and shows interest in her words.

"i'm sure they are, but i'm glad i went to yours."

the implication lingers between them; he leaves it up to her to catch it.

up ahead, the restaurant soon comes into sight. he gestures towards it.

"is this the one you've been to?"

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
gleam
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2021 14:46:28 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"Hmm.. maybe not. Your legs are not as long as a Rapidash's."

She says this with a smile, but it's clear in her voice and in her examination of his legs that she's being serious.

Once again, however, Cian manages to catch her off guard with his honesty and charm. The young woman blinks, straightening her back and glancing away. She emits a quiet, nervous giggle, unsure how best to respond. Sometimes, most times, she wouldn't have picked up on a man's forwardness.

But so far, Cian had been nothing but, so it was impossible to miss.

With an awkward clearing of her throat, Avery nods:

"Yes! This is it! Oh... and it smells so lovely already."

close tab

played by

noodles

triple h
he/him
twenty-seven
september 14th
rustboro
bisexual
rustboro gym leader
champion (hoenn & vct)
awards
3,933 posts
CIAN MAHER DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cian
CIAN MAHER
gleam
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2021 14:57:17 GMT
CIAN MAHER Avatar
[attr="class","cian"]he glances down at her words, extending a leg out for added effect as he chuckles.

"yeah, maybe not. maybe i stand more of a chance against a ponyta."

yet another idea to add to the list; whether it's good or bad is left undecided. probably bad.

again, he holds the door open for her, following her in after.

they're swiftly led over to the counter where menus that display a wide variety of items hang overhead.

cian reaches for the form off to the side and a pencil, ready to build his own salad.

"what would you like?"

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
gleam
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2021 15:14:29 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"Yeah.. maybe!"

She isn't totally convinced, and frankly she thinks it might be kind of silly, but she isn't the type to discourage others. Cian extends his leg and she laughs, smiling.

The bell rings as they enter the building, vacuum-suctioning shut behind them. They're greeted immediately and approach the counter. Her attention spans over the various ingredients, and her belly rumbles in anticipation.

"Hmm.. maybe that new power bowl option. I saw the sign out front saying they'd just introduced it. That sounds yummy to me!"

Little did she know that it came with protein as well, rather than it being vegetarian. But she would cross that bridge later.