awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
non mi avete fatto niente [s][c]
POSTED ON Aug 15, 2021 23:31:40 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Every night, after he finished what remaining paperwork there was at one of the various Ranger Headquarters scattered around the region (his office just so happened to be in Lilycove) he would pass by Mount Pyre and head to a certain area.

Some of the lonely patrons who hung around Mount Pyre would recognize the tall figure as it cut a path, heading straight towards a particular location.

There would be several candles always left there—one for his first Swampert, one for sister, one for Mother—

The candle he would usually leave to burn itself out was the one he would always light last, before leaving and continuing home to Verdanturf.

It was a silent promise—every night after he’d been told that there was next to no possibility finding that person again, he would be here, without fail, lighting those candles.

However, the siege at Sootopolis broke that streak. He was supposed to have gone there before heading out to that disaster area—

There were other pressing matters at the time that demanded more of his attention, though.

“Non so dove sei. Non so nemmeno se sei ancora vivo,*” he would mutter quietly, knowing nobody could understand Alto Marean around these parts (unless or would suddenly show up) as he set down a singular candle this time.

“Ho la sensazione che tu non sia più qui,**” he continued, shaking his head slightly.

“I don’t know anymore. Would you—would you hate me if I—if I moved on, moved forward?”

The empty space festered so bad it hurt.

“Any rational human would, I know you’d say that, but—”

It was another one of those times he looked deathly calm on the outside, but internally he was just about ready to lose his shit again—and not out of anger, but out of sadness.

Not even the deity was answering in the back of his mind this evening.

Maybe they knew that Lars needed some time alone to process this…

* I don’t know where you are. I don’t even know if you’re still alive.

** I have a feeling you’re no longer here.

@tallulah
close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2021 0:02:19 GMT
Deleted Avatar
loss. a very real, very human emotion. she did not understand it, however. Pa said his wife died when she was born, but the man never held it against his only child. some parents did, when they lost their partner and only the child remained. they were innocent - but tormented because of it. Tallulah never grieved a parent she didn't know; she only mourned the loss of what could have been.

so, why come to Mt Pyre?

well, she had been in Hoenn since June. it never occurred to her to come before now. she found gravesites to be dreary. it should be a celebration of life, but people came to mourn and cry. there was little remembrance going on in the sea of emotions. "oh" she says softly, having just wandered at random. there were words spoken in another language.

a ghost?

nevertheless, they made her return to conscious thought. her boots slowed as she looked ahead, spotting a familiar head of blond hair. "s -" sir, no. it was - "Lars?" 
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2021 20:15:11 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

When was the last time he had a breakdown of this magnitude?

…maybe the time when he had to bury his younger sister. Shit, had it already been a year since then?!

Still, the old man didn’t know that her death was—his doing. That was one particular secret that was going to the grave no matter what happened.

Either way…

He blinked as he bit down on his lip, unwilling to speak any more because shit, if there was another thing he absolutely detested more it was breaking a promise to someone, no matter what the promise was, and—

The soft voice made him look up and around—who was there?

Oh.

“H—hello there, Tallulah,” he began quietly.

“What brings you out here this evening?”

@tallulah

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2021 20:42:24 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"visiting." it was the truth. she hadn't ever been to Mt Pyre before now. seemed a long overdue visit. though she couldn't help feel she was intruding on something private. Lars was one of many who said her full name, but the way he said it now... seemed forced. strained. she doesn't come closer. she gives him space. he's near a gravestone, after all. someone she doesn't know and would never know.

she pauses too long, the awkward silence lingering. so she clears her throat gently, softly. "there's none I'm visiting in particular" Tallulah confirms suspicions "it just felt like it was time to come here" with all the destruction and death in this region, she couldn't ignore it forever "pay respects to people who have fallen." there had to be fellow Rangers who fell in the line of duty. she shifts on the spot, aiming to move away.

give him his privacy.
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2021 21:13:15 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Have you seen the memorial down at Lilycove?” he inquired.

It was a small, yet stark testament and reminder of how war had once again scoured the land. Of how countless people had fallen; those most prominent among them one of the region’s previous Champions, among other things. And yet—

There were other things that still bothered him.

“Ah. Be glad you haven’t suffered that kind of loss then,” he continued quietly as he rubbed at his eyes. “Especially when it’s missing family… or missing loved ones.”

True, the other man had last sent word sometime prior to the Three-Day War, and then—

What if he’d also been mauled to death by his own Null? Now he wasn’t sure of the other had left before, or during the War—

Either way, the presence of another Null out there was… certainly unnerving, to say the least.

“I made a promise,” he went on, knowing the other would most likely ask for context. “That every night, I would come by and pay my respects here. However—”

He took a deep breath in an attempt to compose himself.

“However, that was broken the night the city fell.”

@tallulah

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2021 21:48:22 GMT
Deleted Avatar
when the man speaks again, she stops. having turned away from him, Tallulah waits for Lars to finish. she is quiet. she also knows - nothing she could ever do or say would make the pain go away. "in a way, I have" she says once he was done "my mother. she died at childbirth. but I can't properly mourn a woman I never met." only feel their loss in her chest, of what could have been.

it had been her Pa that raised her. she owed the man everything. if he was here, or in Alola, dead... she would be breaking down too. "I only know stories. photos. and take comfort from them" she adds "loss is hard" but "be fortunate they were in your life, however long, than not at all." celebrate they were there at all.

she didn't like to mourn. "you tried" Tallulah continues "if the dead ask for more than that..." they are selfish.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2021 1:55:00 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

How long—had it been since he’d disappeared?

Close to a year now?

The nagging worry in the back of his mind threatened to resurface again as he brushed down the front of the grave marker to clear it of dust and grit. Seeing the two names there, he sighed.

“Oh?” he spoke up at last once he was done cleaning the marker as best as he could. “You’ve also lost your mother… guess we have that in common.”

He then stood up from his crouching position.

“My younger sister, and my first Swampert are buried here. Unfortunately it… it sucks that I don’t have a place to bring flowers for my mother, since she’d… she’d been missing for… a while now. Sixteen…years, and still going on.”

Shit, not again.

“The last—time I saw her, was when… I was fourteen. And then, never again. I have my suspicions on where she is, but—at the moment, they’re just that. Suspicions.”

She loved him too much, and look what it got her… no word, no sign at all… no grave to bring flowers to, even, he added to himself in the back of his mind.

@tallulah

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2021 19:26:01 GMT
Deleted Avatar
he stands now. she turns to look at him. loss is heavy on his features from what she can see. pain. agony. regret. Tallulah says nothing, allowing the man to speak his mind. when he's done, it's clear he's struggling. Lars would state his mother was missing, suspicious of her disappearance. "I'm sorry."

it was all she could hope and think to say. losing a sibling as well as a mother was hard. being buried in Mt Pyre... even his Swampert. the man had seen a lot of death and loss. "I was going to buy some flowers from the lobby" she goes on "but if I go back myself, I won't remember the way back" a pause "come on, we'll go buy some fresh flowers for your family and partner."

she reaches out an olive branch for the man.
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Aug 20, 2021 20:37:40 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Truly, at that moment, Lars had never felt so—alone.

While he did have the Rangers, and the scant few he knew outside of them to keep him company, when it came to his direct, actual blood relatives—there was little.

was still family, although a younger cousin, and therefore didn’t need to know the shattered mess that was his own family.

A younger brother, gone adrift. Who knew where he was going to end up.

A younger sister, lost in the mist. Probably watching from up above—or down below. It was probably from the skies, though.

A mother, missing sixteen years and running—no ‘conclusive evidence’ as to where she may have gone off to (at least, that was the story he remembered the ol’ man spouting about it) but deep inside, he knew that they were all lies.

It may have been luck, or chance, that he overheard that argument that cemented his doubt about—

A father, loveless as time had gone by. Looking like there was an olive branch coming from him, Lars had become paranoid about any kind of intentions from the older man at this point.

Five years away had taught him self-preservation and volatility in Alto Mare, and then the rest of the nine years afterward—watching the region go from zero to eleven in the last few.

And then—

Everything just weighed down on him at that moment. It was so heavy, he was sure he’d have collapsed under the weight of it all had he been younger, weaker—not today, though.

“Thank you,” were the only words he would say, nodding and accepting her offer. “I’m sure they—they would appreciate the gesture.”

@tallulah

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2021 20:24:15 GMT
Deleted Avatar
she smiles patiently at the man as he joins her. "well, this way I can ask what their favorite flowers are" Tallulah is quick to fill the gap of conversation as they make their way back to the entrance "I'm sure your mother had one or two, yes?" if Lars could remember. seemed she had been missing for some time.

the Swampert would be harder. she decided on basic white lilies for it. Tallulah falls to silence, counting how much she had seen at the counter with how many graves she could afford. not just Lars, but others around them. she would make a grand display so the deceased would know they were remembered.
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2021 3:45:41 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Dandelions are only a seasonal thing,” he mused once they had returned to where he remembered seeing a flower shop. “It’s such a shame, really, since the dandelion flower was mostly poked fun at for being a weed.”

Looking over the available selections, he smirked a bit at the few sunflowers that were available, each giant head attempting to face the sunlight on the cloudy mountain.

He kept looking, and looking, until he saw them—

“Here.”

He then reached for the bougainvilleas.

“If it wasn’t dandelion season, it would be these.”

Fishing out his wallet to pay, he then grabbed those, along with a couple of sunflowers as well for his younger sister.

@tallulah

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2021 22:51:20 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"I'm partial to sunflowers, me'self" she reaches out to take a few after Lars had picked his own out "though lilies are mourning flowers..." she recalls her father placing one on her mother's grave every year, on the woman's birthday or the anniversary. sunflowers were cheerful and energetic. seemed like Lars' sister had been like that, or just thought the flower was pretty.

they would walk back, Tallulah letting the Head Ranger lead the way. she wasn't sure she could recall the way back to the graves; there were so many here. she held lilies and sunflowers, which she would drop on random tombstones along the way. it didn't matter that she didn't know them; they deserved to be remembered and appreciated.
close tab

played by

spiral

SHIV'S BOYFRIEND
HE/HIM
AUGUST 12
DISCORD
SHIV-SAMA-O
SHIV'S BOYFRIEND
SHIV-SAMA-O
IS MY GIRLFRIEND
777 height
777 height
THE GREATER THE DESPAIR THE SWEETER THE VICTORY
awards
5,178 posts
SPIRAL DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @spiral
SPIRAL
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2021 20:46:58 GMT
SPIRAL Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: