235 posts
part of
TAG WITH @symon
symon blessing
smoke & wood [m, c]
POSTED ON Jul 27, 2022 16:44:56 GMT
symon blessing Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
It was, Sy realized, a much fancier place than he had expected.

The waiters were all in uniform-- or, at least, what he assumed was uniform. It was a pretty traditional set of ‘servants attire’, he guessed, with black pants and shirt and one of those white bib-looking things.

Half the seating area was outside under the stars, the ceiling gabled in glass and opened to the sky above. The other half was safely ensconced under dangling iron chandeliers and flickering LED lights made to look like candles. Green plants in hanging baskets were scattered here and there at differing heights. The floor was marble.

There was a black statue of a Galarian Ponyta in the lobby next to the hostess’ stand. How whimsical.

At least his jeans were dark and didn’t have rips in them.

He hovered by the hostess’ stand, nervously checking his phone, unsure of why he was nervous. The hostess offered to sit him but he declined, stating he’d rather wait. He was, he realized, very excited to see again. In person, and decidedly not on a deserted island.

A night of realizations.

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

socks

litton wickham
he/him
september 25
lumiose city, kalos
???
webnovelist / council assistant
civilian
if desire is the heart’s intransigent verb.
awards
353 posts
nagi miwa DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nagi
nagi miwa
smoke & wood [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 3, 2022 13:41:18 GMT
nagi miwa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","naggy"]
[attr="class","top"]

eyes turned up peer at the serif font of the overhanging signage, watching the lights play across the tables in the exterior seating area, nagi thinks: symon's friends must be very fond of him.[break][break]

this is way more than nice-ish.[break][break]

maybe it is his fault that he doesn’t own anything outside of hoodies and slacks (all ancient); that his idea of nice-ish food is anything requiring more effort than reheating jarred pasta sauce. it's definitely his fault for not checking the dress code. whatever the case, for the second time since he set foot in hoenn, nagi finds himself standing outside of a fine dining establishment, feeling painfully and sorely underdressed. [break][break]

but you don’t expose yourself to the psychoanalytic shitshow of publishing your writing online without developing some thick skin. nagi tips his chin up, folds the frayed hem of his hoodie inwards — pets the front pocket to make sure the parcel hasn't fallen out — and steps in through the entryway. [break][break]

symon cuts an unmistakable figure, even dressed down. or dressed up, considering the last time they'd met symon had been in beachwear. nagi's expression softens when he sees him; the purse of his mouth and tense set of his brow loosening as the rubber soles of his sneaker squeak against the polished marble tile. [break][break]

"happy birthday," he says, when he draws close enough. his voice is low — settled in its usual quiet monotone — but warm.

[break][break]

[attr="class","ooc"] [break]

[attr="class","pkspr pkmn-litwick"]

[attr="class","credit"] [attr="class","fas fa-cookie-bite"]

[newclass=".naggy"]--accent:#717E95; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto;
font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; letter-spacing:0.2px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy blockquote img"] margin:1px 15px 2px 1px; border-radius:10px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy blockquote b, .naggy blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) } .naggy blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .naggy blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy .ooc a"]font:bold 15px 'Poppins';[/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy .credit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right:95px; bottom:5px; border-radius:100px; color:var(--accent); opacity:0.6; } .naggy .credit a { transition:0.5s all } .naggy .credit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ceej

Sy, Bless
He/Him
july 14
lilycove city, hoenn
bisexual
Himbo
Civillian
am i running out of lifelines?
awards
235 posts
part of
TAG WITH @symon
symon blessing
smoke & wood [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2022 16:49:12 GMT
symon blessing Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
They meant it as a joke, certainly. The gift card, to this place. They probably all pooled their tips and had a good laugh. Sy’s gonna look so out of place here. Just a little country boy. All good-natured fun, until it wasn’t. All polite ribbing and hazing. Probably at home now cackling into their beers over a game of Call of Duty.

And then he’s there and all the anxiety is gone, and it’s just like being back on the beach-- but significantly less stressful. Nothing is threatening to eat them. Their survival is not the most pertinent issue. Nagi is a balm to all his worries. Nagi worries enough for both of them, anyway.

“Thanks!” Sy says, just barely turning down the volume at the very last second. “It’s good to see you.”

Should he hug him?

The hostess steals that option away and steps forward to lead them to a table, her expression placid; Sy steps aside and sweeps a hand, allowing Nagi to go first. They’re placed at a smallish two-top underneath the dark summer sky, menus, appetizer plates, wine glasses, and cloth napkins already in place.

“Get whatever you want,” Sy says, grin creasing at the corners with how big and happy it is, “it’s on my boys tonight.”

Laugh about that, fellas.

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #d49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

socks

litton wickham
he/him
september 25
lumiose city, kalos
???
civilian
awards
353 posts
nagi miwa DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nagi
nagi miwa
smoke & wood [m, c]
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 5:32:16 GMT
nagi miwa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","naggy"]
[attr="class","top"]

"you, too. thanks for inviting me."[break][break]

it should be surprising, how much he means it — he had never been the type to build attachments quickly; never been an easy friend to make or keep. but the blistering heat blanketing the deserted island had proven to be as good as icebreaker as any. it helps that he knows he can trust symon with his life, at least insofar as coconuts are concerned. [break][break]

he settles down on the seat, reaching for the menu to keep his fidgeting fingers occupied — embossed cover, curling cursive font, kalosian scattered across the menu items. nagi’s kalosian. he’s got this. he flips to the page labelled “sandwiches”.[break][break]

“we'll eat a hole through their pockets,” he says, looking up from the menu splayed open at the edge of the table just in time to see the grin break out, effervescent over symon’s face. like a spotlight, or a small star, ninety lumens per watt of radiant flux beaming in nagi’s direction, making him squint on instinct. [break][break]

he must really like this restaurant. [break][break]

“what are you getting?”

[break][break]

I'M SORRYYYYYY[break]

[newclass=".naggy"]--accent:#717E95; position:relative; z-index:1; overflow:hidden; [/newclass]

font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; letter-spacing:0.2px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy blockquote img"] margin:1px 15px 2px 1px; border-radius:10px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy blockquote b, .naggy blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) } .naggy blockquote b { font-size:14px!important } .naggy blockquote u { font-style:italic; color:var(--accent); text-decoration:underline dotted; border-bottom:none; letter-spacing:1px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".naggy .credit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right:95px; bottom:5px; border-radius:100px; color:var(--accent); opacity:0.6; } .naggy .credit a { transition:0.5s all } .naggy .credit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ceej

Sy, Bless
He/Him
july 14
lilycove city, hoenn
bisexual
Himbo
Civillian
awards
235 posts
part of
TAG WITH @symon
symon blessing
smoke & wood [m, c]
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 23:37:06 GMT
symon blessing Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
Sy is so full of emotion he’s tripping and falling down his own throat. He wants to say everything all at once. He wants to sit there in silence and just enjoy ’s company. He wants it all.

He blinks, makes himself exhale, measuredly. He’s always been bad at self-regulating. It’s been something he’d needed to learn, to practice, to hone. Not to be overwhelming. Not to be smothering.

“They definitely picked this place as a joke,” Sy confessed, forcing his attention to the menu and the difficult task of picking a meal. “They like to throw me in places and watch me country-boy my way out of them.” It’s said without malice, with warmth and affection, but that could’ve just been elicited by the company.

“Dunno, a steak or something. Something easy, so I don’t botch any of these words.” It comes out as half a chuckle.

Oh, god, what if Nagi hates him because he’s an idiot?

Wait, where did that thought come from?

The waiter stops by to take their drink order, gesturing to the wine list, and the seasonal cocktail menu.

close tab

played by

socks

litton wickham
he/him
september 25
lumiose city, kalos
???
civilian
awards
353 posts
nagi miwa DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nagi
nagi miwa
smoke & wood [m, c]
POSTED ON Nov 27, 2022 10:48:32 GMT
nagi miwa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","naggy"]
[attr="class","top"]

something prickly and sharp swells up in nagi’s gut; irritation, a surge of protectiveness, a flash of righteous anger he has never felt before, and has no idea what to do with. it coalesces into a singular thought: this night won’t end with symon as a punchline. [break][break]

he hitches the menu higher up on the table, stabbing his finger down by the photo of a spotlit bottle of wine. he has no idea what he’s pointing at, hasn’t even read the gold-embossed text curled in cursive over the label; all that matters is that it looks expensive.[break][break]

“let’s get this,” he says, “as a birthday treat. and, uh — ” what’s the thirty-dollar-est cut of steak? he flicks through the menu, rifling past the familiar harbor of the blts to the main dishes with prices wouldn’t have even bothered to glance at before “ — i’ll have a filet mignon.”[break][break]

his tongue curls around his familiar, under-used kalosian; he flicks his gaze up from the warpath to symon, searching. was that too much?

[break][break]

close tab

played by

Ceej

Sy, Bless
He/Him
july 14
lilycove city, hoenn
bisexual
Himbo
Civillian
awards
235 posts
part of
TAG WITH @symon
symon blessing
smoke & wood [m, c]
POSTED ON Dec 3, 2022 22:01:05 GMT
symon blessing Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
”An excellent choice, sir,” the waiter confirms, looking expectantly at Sy for his order.

“I’ll have the same,”
he says, hasty and grinning and secretly very relieved that had ordered first even though filet mignon was hardly the most difficult thing to say on the menu. The waiter nodded and hurried off in that proud way of the service industry when they’re thankful for a simple table but not trying to show it.

“So how’ve you been?” Sy asked with the happiness and cadence of a golden retriever seeing their human after being separated for five minutes.

close tab

played by

socks

litton wickham
he/him
september 25
lumiose city, kalos
???
civilian
awards
353 posts
nagi miwa DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nagi
nagi miwa
smoke & wood [m, c]
POSTED ON Dec 14, 2022 17:01:22 GMT
nagi miwa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","naggy"]
[attr="class","top"]

"better, back in civilisation."

he tips his head to one side as he answers, a slow, subtle upturn dancing at the edge of his lips; a surly cat drawn out of its repose in spite of itself by his companion's puppy-like, infectious enthusiasm.[break][break]

what with the news of an oncoming meteor, a mysterious barrier, hoenn steaming in a greenhouse of unexplained creation — he’s doing as well as he could be. his first summer in hoenn is unfolding like a b-rate sci-fi flick. [break][break]

“it’s still hot, though.”[break][break]

the sunburn at his nose, freshly healed from his jaunt on the island, is starting to turn pink again despite his best efforts. [break][break]

“how about you?”

[break][break]

close tab

played by

Ceej

Sy, Bless
He/Him
july 14
lilycove city, hoenn
bisexual
Himbo
Civillian
awards
235 posts
part of
TAG WITH @symon
symon blessing
smoke & wood [m, c]
POSTED ON Dec 17, 2022 23:15:06 GMT
symon blessing Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
“Yeah,” Sy said on a laugh-like exhale, “despite all the fun we had I have to say the island life is not for me.”

Except what was Hoenn if not an island? A very, very big island? Oh, well. Thoughts better left to bigger brains and deeper minds than his own.

He did catch the faint twitching at the corner of Nagi’s mouth but chose to ignore it, chalking it up to his imagination. Also, that would mean he would admit to staring, which he would never do.

“Ugh, the heat is almost unbearable,” he rolled his eyes for emphasis and leaned back in his chair, like the weight of the world perched upon his chest, “I can barely get the guys out to practice in this. Half of ‘em think the world’s gonna end, anyway, so they’re off running amok across the region.”

God damn it, why did he have to bring that up? It was a perfectly good time before he went and ruined it with his big, stupid mouth.

His gaze dropped to the empty plate in front of him, chastised by his own internal monologue. “Same old, same old. Working, mostly. Finding some more time for volunteer work. Tryin’ to help everyone keep it together best they can.”

An irreparable, unarguable part of him would always be like this: ever-positive, surging forward, believing in the impossible. After all, here he was, on a date-- not a date date, but like, you know-- with someone he never thought in a million years would say yes to going on a date-not-date with him. And if that wasn’t proof of the unfeasible being feasible, he didn’t know what was.

“You still working for… the HBS?” He hoped he got the acronym right.

close tab

played by

socks

litton wickham
he/him
september 25
lumiose city, kalos
???
civilian
awards
353 posts
nagi miwa DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nagi
nagi miwa
smoke & wood [m, c]
POSTED ON Dec 25, 2022 2:35:04 GMT
nagi miwa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","naggy"]
[attr="class","top"]

careful attention tracks each roll of symon’s eyes, each curl of his lips, even though the atrophied muscles of nagi’s own face remain stuck at neutral — so he doesn’t miss when symon’s voice and gaze drops. concern rises like a tide; a disarming protectiveness that’s been brewing inside nagi since symon had turned to him with that first bleeding cut on the island.[break][break]

“yeah.” he nods, the seat creaking as he leans into the backrest. “it’s hectic, what with the —” he flicks his hand outwards, mouth a sour twist, taken together to mean basically everything. “ — but we’re doing what we can to keep people informed.”[break][break]

which isn’t much. there is only so much they can do, when there is so little they know. [break][break]

the impending apocalypse. how is that for an effective conversation ender? nagi winces internally — chews on the inside of his lip as he recalls the momentary falter in symon’s sunshine demeanour. [break][break]

the tablecloth is smooth under his fingertips, as he rolls up the edges. “you’re holding up alright?”

[break][break]

close tab

played by

Ceej

Sy, Bless
He/Him
july 14
lilycove city, hoenn
bisexual
Himbo
Civillian
awards
235 posts
part of
TAG WITH @symon
symon blessing
smoke & wood [m, c]
POSTED ON Jan 14, 2023 23:56:40 GMT
symon blessing Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
He can count the times he catches Nagi watching him, count the times their eyes meet and his own gaze diverts quickly, ricochets off another potted plant or strange, eclectic decoration. There’s redness in his cheeks at the sheer act of being perceived.

Someone’s gotta do it, right?” he says, tone appreciative of the work Nagi and his cohorts are doing. Their own version of protecting the region. “I’m not, you know, anti-government, but I can imagine the line between telling people what’s happening and keeping them from freaking out and going all The Purge on each other is very thin.”

The sommelier returns and pours them their wine in a fancy way with the towel over his arm, then sets it on the table.

“Better than some people, I think,” he says, gently taking the stem of the wine glass and giving it a swirl (because he’d seen it on TV a couple times). “I tend to be more positive, so things don’t get me down as much. But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried.” He finished with a shrug and a sip of his wine.

“I like to think the world is more wonderful than it seems, you know? Something’s gotta save us. Or at least give us the ability to save ourselves. Humans are pretty clever like that.”

close tab

played by

socks

litton wickham
he/him
september 25
lumiose city, kalos
???
civilian
awards
353 posts
nagi miwa DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nagi
nagi miwa
smoke & wood [m, c]
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2023 16:46:06 GMT
nagi miwa Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","naggy"]
[attr="class","top"]

there is a part of him that pipes in — the quiet voice in the loudest part of his brain, saying: but what if it isn’t?[break][break]

a part of nagi is braced, always, for the worst thing to happen. [break][break]

he stubs the thought out, lets its embers smoulder on the base of his heel. into the lip of his wineglass, mouth set against the curve, he says, “hoenn’s made it this far.”[break][break]

wine hits his tongue, astringent and faintly fruity. somewhere between his crusade of justice against symon’s boys and the conversation about the impending end-of-the-world, nagi had forgotten that he doesn’t really drink. ethanol burns a trail down his throat as it goes down; he swallows, somehow, with a straight face.[break][break]

it’s fine. it’s a birthday! birthday are exceptions. and, when he threatened to eat a hole through the pockets’ of symon’s boys, he meant it. righteous comeuppance makes the little break in his self-imposed embargo more than worth it. [break][break]

and speaking of birthdays —[break][break]

gingerly, he smooths the wrinkles out of the baby-blue crepe wrapping paper with his fingertips, tugs at the loops of the yellow ribbon secured at the top to even them out, before nudging the rectangular package across the table towards symon. " — here."[break][break]

inside the box, the price tag torn off and adhesive painstakingly rubbed clean, a solar dancing fomantis sways in place. a post-it stuck to the bottom scrawls in blue-ink, chicken-scratch cursive: thistle is cuter. nagi[break][break]

an equally chicken-scratch doodle of the fomantis adorns the corner, parts of it blotted out in white where the artist second-guessed second-guessing their creation. [break][break]

[break][break]

close tab

played by

Ceej

Sy, Bless
He/Him
july 14
lilycove city, hoenn
bisexual
Himbo
Civillian
awards
235 posts
part of
TAG WITH @symon
symon blessing
smoke & wood [m, c]
POSTED ON Jan 28, 2023 15:54:24 GMT
symon blessing Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
He knows Nagi enough by now, even in perhaps the slightest way, to know that for all of Symon’s positivity, Nagi is the counterbalance to that. Sy sees the beaming sun as a Vitamin D infusion, Nagi sees the sunburn.

It’s fine. It’s better than fine. It’s harmony.

“We’ve all made it this far,” Symon said, soft in the ambient light, “don’t sell yourself short.”

Nagi hands him a gift-wrapped package-- last-minute checked for perfection, as is his custom-- and Sy beams at him across the table. “Oh, you didn’t have to--,”

His breath catches a little in a funny way but his trillion-watt smile cannot get any bigger.

The statue is perfect, in a way that makes him breathless. He knows, immediately, where he’s going to put it in his home, where it can catch the sun and stand out, and he can always be reminded of Nagi’s kindness in gift form.

He isn’t going to cry. He isn’t.

“She’s going to love it. Heck, I love it. It’s perfect.” He takes special care to not tear the post-it note and flattens it neatly on the table. “Though it’s going to go straight to her head. I’ll give it to her after dinner. Less inclined to make a scene that way.”

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights