Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Please. Don't Go. I Need You . . . [M . . . P?]
POSTED ON Nov 5, 2022 5:08:41 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]For all of his bad luck, the universe wasn't always out to get Isaac. It knocked him down, time and time again. It hurt him deep and twisted the knife. It bent him to the point where it threatened to snap him in two. Yet every time things seemed their bleakest, it stopped. It took a step back, let him catch his breath and recover. It stymied the wound before it could bleed out. It waited until Isaac cried uncle, pushed just a little bit harder, and then let him off with a warning.[break][break]

Isaac had been lost. The fog surrounding the mountain was nothing compared to the fog clouding Isaac's mind. All he could think of was Kiryu's mortal blow, the proud Aggron reduced to little more than a pained, wheezing, desperate husk at ' hands. It was agony, tearing wounds in Isaac's heart, mind, and soul. They festered worse, moment by moment, until they had consumed Isaac's entire being. He was little more than a feral beast, a broken machine, seeking nothing more than to escape and inflict his agony on anyone in his path.[break][break]

Had he met anyone else, it could have been disastrous. All he needed was an excuse. A threat. A danger. A reason to tear the first League official in his way into bloody pieces. Instead, he found his salvation in the form of . She challenged the darkest recesses of the fog and shined a light on the exits of the maze. And she did so with barely a hand raised his way; the one time she had tried, she paid a price that Isaac regretted immediately.[break][break]

His heart still felt like it would burst at any given moment. He still wanted nothing more than to vomit, curl into a little ball, and let the rest of this battle wash over him. He still wished that Paxton had murdered him instead. But he wasn't lost anymore. He had regained sight of why he was here, who he was fighting for, even why Kiryu had risked her life for him.[break][break]

When all seemed lost, Knuckles had fallen back to bail Isaac out of disaster. But he wasn't the only one suffering there. , his brother in arms, the wind beneath his wings, and a freshly-reminted member of Team Rocket, had been right there in the trenches with them. Isaac tried to stop Knuckles, tried to get her to turn around, tried to let Ashley know where he was going. But he was being dragged away at Extreme Speed, and a moment's hesitation was a dangerous thing when there was a sniper in play.[break][break]

In their darkest moments, they had been separated. Now that his head was screwed back on, there would be no man left behind.[break][break]

The fog was no longer Isaac's enemy. They had come to an accord. It was Isaac's shelter against the prying eyes of the League, its officials not in the loop of Anna's mercy. The voices of his sins demanded his attention, but a stronger voice kept them at bay. It was a desperate, pleading urge to keep moving forward. His demons were mere shadows. They couldn't hurt him. Not now. Not before he could set right what had gone horribly wrong.[break][break]

Where there was fog, Isaac creeped in its wake. Where there were gravestones, Isaac ducked behind them as cover. Where they were absent, he used Sanford as a grappling hook, rappelling himself across cliffsides and between dead trees. And where there was none of that, he braved the Phantom Plane, squeezing his eyes shut and charging past his sins as Sanford's Phantom Force guided him onward.[break][break]

He'd scour this entire battlefield, if that was what it took to find his reason for being here.

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Kiwi

Ash
He/Him/Them
December 2
Aspertia City, Unova
Pansexual
Picking up the pieces
--
But I, I will, go on howling and hollow
awards
1,109 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ashley
Ashley Shepard
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 8:55:08 GMT
Ashley Shepard Avatar
[attr="class","sawyer"]

tag
notes
Shades, DRIP, mask and hair make it hard to discern identity
Unfortunately today, the universe was out to get him. The knife would have to twist a little harder. Ashley stands within the center of it all, darkness surrounding him in totality. His gaze hidden behind black bangs. His right arm was still burn completely, his left ear having only coagulated to stop the blood. He was staring forward, forward ever foreward. He cannot look anywhere else.

This war is hell. This war is his. This war upon his own soul, tearing him up from inside to out, from heart to mind. He can't get it out of his head, he can't remove it, he cannot tear it or pry it away.

Your fault.

How many times has he thought that to himself? Kiryu's death... he let Bullet die. He let Pluto die. He let Kiryu die. He let Jubilee die. He was a curse, a scourge. He would be nothing but a curse, a scourge. Bu still, he could hear his heartbeat in his throat as he heard the sounds of someone coming near.

Ah.

His worst nightmare.

It came to face him.

"Go away, Isaac." No friendliness. The cold shoulder. Bongo stands present, frowning at Ashley. His frown was reflecting that coldness that he gave. Because Ashley can't look at Isaac. If he does, he will break in half. To admit to that failure. So he made up his mind.

He was going to make Isaac hate him. It was the only way to make up for this. Even if Ashley hated himself forever, he can't live with the fact that Kiryu was his fault.

[attr="class","wizzcred"]❤ wizz

[newclass=".sawyer"] [/newclass]
[newclass=".sawyer b"]color:#00BFFF; font-weight:lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=".sawyer i"]color:#DC143C; font-style:italic; [/newclass]
[newclass=".sawyer a"]text-transform:uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 18:26:52 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]There he was! Whereas Isaac had wandered out into the light, almost reading Mt. Pyre's peak before better judgment sent him back, Ashley had descended further into the abyss. Fog and shadow swirled around him, to the point where even as he stood motionless on the battlefield, he was practically invisible.[break][break]

Isaac had merely adopted the darkness. Ash had been born in it, molded by it. And now he wore it like a second skin.[break][break]

But Isaac didn't notice at first. He was just overjoyed to see that Ash was . . . okay, no, okay was a huge stretch. But he was alive and he wasn't under attack and he was as safe as anyone could be in this mess of a war. "There you are," Isaac said, voice low to avoid jeopardizing his safe position. "I was so worri-"[break][break]

The voice he'd heard in return didn't have a shred of warmth or friendliness to it. It felt like an icicle right to Isaac's heart. In the darkness, he couldn't see how Ash's eyes wandered away from his. Maybe it was him taking his brother in arms at face value. Maybe it was his own guilty heart projecting. But as far as he could tell, Ash was staring right through his soul.[break][break]

Right. He deserved this, didn't he? They'd been separated in the chaos, and now Ash was paying the price. "Ash . . ." Isaac's voice trailed off. What had happened to them was horrible. He knew because he, too, felt horrible. Until Anna screwed his head back on, he was basically blinded by his own hatred and anguish. Even now, it lurked beneath the surface, threatening to emerge if a League official so much as looked at him funny.[break][break]

Ash didn't get that luxury, did he? He was alone. He was stewing in it, just as he stewed in the darkness.[break][break]

"Ash, I'm sorry. I tried to turn around. I really did. But Knuckles, she just kept running, and with that sniper if we even tried to stop I'd-" Was it an explanation? Or just an excuse? Who was Isaac apologizing for here? Ugh. He shook the ramble before it started. "What happened happened. But I'm here now. And I'm not gonna let what happened back there . . . any of it . . . happen again.[break][break]

"I promise."

[break][break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Kiwi

Ash
He/Him/Them
December 2
Aspertia City, Unova
Pansexual
Picking up the pieces
--
awards
1,109 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ashley
Ashley Shepard
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 18:39:41 GMT
Ashley Shepard Avatar
[attr="class","sawyer"]

tag
notes
Now the part that was going to hurt. Ash's face is still hidden. He didn't want to do this, but it needed to be done. Penance demanded it of him, and he felt that self-righteousness was needed to make it happen. He had to be hated by his friend. It was the only way in his mind.

"You did what you had to." There it was again, words cold as ice. But as he turned to look Isaac in the eyes, one glazed silver eyed him dead. The pupil unpresent. "You retreated. Tactically sound." It takes all his emotional strength to keep it going, but a single line fills his mind.

Your fault.

"They didn't die because of the sniper. They died because they were weak. The sniper just pulled the trigger. That's it." Rocket isn't a place where someone can be sentimental. It isn't a place where positivity can be born. This is war, this is pain. To allow himself to feel that pain for Bullet, Pluto, and Kiryu would jeopardize the mission that was left.

"Leave."

He orders again. He turns his head around. Bongo behind him is gritting his teeth. Almost ready to beat the living hell out of Ash.

[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 19:05:52 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"So what if I did?" Isaac said. "That doesn't mean I had to . . . that we should . . . that . . ."[break][break]

He didn't even know what he was trying to say. But Ash? He knew exactly what he meant.[break][break]

Isaac's jaw dropped. His eyes wavered in horror. The air left his body like he had been hit in the gut with a sledgehammer. "Ash . . ." he said, trying to understand where the hell any of this was coming from. Wasn't this the same man who said Pokemon were irreplaceable? That they should go out of their way to spend more time with the ones they loved?[break][break]

"How can you even say that?" he asked, the roaring winds of Mt. Pyre threatening to overwhelm his words entirely. "After what they did for us. After what they risked for us. After what they lost for us. They gave us everything. Everything! And you're going to blame them?"[break][break]

Bullet. How could anyone call the Starly weak? It was a fundamentally unfair fight. The sniper's rounds were almost as big as he was. If it died intact, it would have been a miracle. "We were fighting something we couldn't even see, something that wouldn't, that couldn't, pull its punches. We had no way of knowing. No way of preparing. And yet they were still so brave in the face of it all."[break][break]

Pluto. There were explosions, and then there were Explosions. When a move already took all of a Pokemon's energy to use, demanding more out of it threatened to destroy its very body. Ash had asked this of Pluto. And despite it spelling its end, Pluto obliged. had killed Bullet. But, as much as it hurt Isaac to accept, Ash had killed Pluto. "They were brave. They were loyal, until the very end. They did what we asked."[break][break]

And then it occurred to Isaac that Ash hadn't just meant his own Pokemon.[break][break]

Isaac fingers dug into the cut on his palm, a grip so hard that it threatened to tear his hand right open. His pupils narrowed as he saw his friend for what felt like the first time. Unyielding rage bubbled up from the pit of his gut, bile searing his insides. He thought back to what had told him about death. It was inevitable. Either it cut you down as you so desperately fled, or you met its eye and faced it as an equal.[break][break]

Kiryu had picked the latter. Even as a strange, disastrous agony overtook her body, she forced herself to stand. She practically set the mountain ablaze with her final dying roar. There was still a small, satisfied smile on her face, even as her movements slowed and her breathing stilled. Isaac still wanted to believe that it wasn't too late. He knew there just had to be a way to save her. But if he was wrong, at least he knew she had faced her final moments with strength.[break][break]

"How dare you," Isaac said. His voice wavered, as if it couldn't choose between a sob, a scream, and a whisper. "If anyone was the weak one here, it was me. Maybe if I wasn't, she wouldn't have needed to risk herself at all. Or maybe it could've been me instead. Like it was supposed to be."[break][break]

"But I'm still here, damnit! And that means I'm not leaving. Not without you."

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Kiwi

Ash
He/Him/Them
December 2
Aspertia City, Unova
Pansexual
Picking up the pieces
--
awards
1,109 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ashley
Ashley Shepard
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 19:25:29 GMT
Ashley Shepard Avatar
[attr="class","sawyer"]

tag
notes
Just a little further now.

Your fault.

The wind is overwhelming. Every step forward he wishes to step back, but he has to. If he is to walk into hell, he needs to prepare to burn the bridge. If he doesn't, he's weak too. He has to be strong. He has to be like him. Locking it away. Everything told him to go back.

Sucks he's poor at listening.

"They were weak." His silver eye continues to look right into Isaac's soul. He holds to faux conviction. "Rocket is no place for weakness." Bullet shot dead rings in his mind. Pluto booming for him rings in his mind. Kiryu, dying to protect Isaac rings in his mind. All of it is playing again and again and again.

yourfaultyourfaultyourfault

But Isaac saying what he did led Ashley to a small, very miniscule smile. Almost untraceable. But it was there.

"You ARE weak." It's hard to tell that to his best friend, but it's the only way he can burn the bridge. But even now, he's screaming in his head. He's screaming internally at every wall, because he can feel that pain, that self-loathing closing in around him. His cold, cynical mind is snapping under the pressure.

yourfaultyourfaultyourfaultyourfaultyourfault

"I won't repeat myself again. Leave." So I can die alone.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 20:19:04 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]That Isaac could say so much in defense of their Pokemon, and all Ashley could do was dismiss it all for some mere tautology . . . maybe that should've been the first sign that something was horribly wrong here. But if two things pissed Isaac off, it was dismissing what he had to say and treating the people he loved like shit.[break][break]

"The hell's gotten into you?" Isaac asked. He couldn't believe it was Ash of all people saying this. He was shocked by how Wrong it was. He was incensed by the betrayal. He couldn't tell if he wanted to grab Ash by the hand and pull him out of this war, or if he wanted to deck him right in the face for it.[break][break]

Weak this. Weak that. Their Pokemon were weak. Isaac was weak. Weak weak weak. At this point it didn't even sound like a word anymore. "You sure about that?" Isaac asked. "Cause for someone that's not gonna repeat himself again, you're sure doing that a lot. Weak. Leave. What, you forget how to say any other words or something?"[break][break]

They say chimpanzees smiled when they were afraid. Was that why Isaac was falling back on quips? Or was he hoping to jar his friend out of it, pointing out how ridiculous he was being right now? Or maybe, just maybe, he was indulging in catharsis. He couldn't even tell. Whenever he tried to examine himself, only static remained. He couldn't tell if in this moment he worried about Ash or hated him.[break][break]

"Maybe I'm weak. But at least I'm still strong enough to put one foot in front of the other. That's more than I could say for you right now." How long had Ash been standing there? It was almost as if he had been rooted to the ground. Would he be able to step away under his own power?[break][break]

Or was he going to have to be pushed?[break][break]

"I'm not going anywhere." Conviction hardened in Isaac's voice. As much as he was being a colossal asshole right now, Ash was his friend. Isaac refused to forget the promises that they had made to each other on the eve before the war. "So if you think you're such a tough guy, tell me; what're you gonna do about it if I don't?"

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Kiwi

Ash
He/Him/Them
December 2
Aspertia City, Unova
Pansexual
Picking up the pieces
--
awards
1,109 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ashley
Ashley Shepard
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 20:49:32 GMT
Ashley Shepard Avatar
[attr="class","sawyer"]

tag
notes
What was he supposed to say? 'Oh, three Pokemon died, two of them were family to me, one was family to you. All on my watch, because I wasn't in position to assist you, and too angry to let myself even help'? There was no way he was going to go back without fighting and screaming the entire way there.

But to be called weak...

Ashley was always weak. He cared too much about everything. His heart was too open. From the moment he was brought into Rocket, he was misplaced. What else could he do? He had no choice but Rocket from the start. He couldn't follow orders, and it cost him. When he finally did, he hoped that he would die. He begged to let it happen. Seeing someone die in front of him by his own hand was too much. He couldn't do it.

yourfaultyourfaultyourfaultyourfault you killed her. he loved her and you killed her.

When he calls Ash a coward though, Bongo attempts to jump after to keep Ash from doing it, but Ash is taller, stronger. He is rushing towards Isaac, and goes for a right hook, his arm doesn't even hurt. The burned arm is thrown forward to slap Isaac down. Whether or not he connects or not, doesn't matter, because the force of his strike is enough to show his resolve. He can't feel it.

"I'll show you how weak you are. By reuniting you both."

He can't stop now. The moment he stops, he will break. Maybe... maybe Isaac can put him out of his misery. Burn the bridge forever, free fall. The self-doubt is always there. It won't go away it won't go away it won't go away.

Free fall.

y̸̛̰̣͕͕̭̠̟͆́̊͑̐͘ö̴̗͎̖̗̭́̌̿̽̕͘̕͠ṳ̵̡̞͙̥̭̻̇̏ͅ ̷̰͐͒͌́͊͠ŝ̸̗̇̾̀͌̔̕͝ḧ̵̡̔͂͝͝o̷̙̿͌̿̒͊͊̚͘ư̴̹̫̳͉͓̈́̎̒͜l̵̢͗̈́̀̇̒͂͝d̴̨̺̱͖̪̀̆́͛̌͂ ̸̼̂d̴̞͒̀̿ȉ̸̛̼̻̮̥̞́̒̀̐̔͐͜ṣ̷̫̫̹̞̮̉̋̈͌̆̏̽̂ḁ̵͍̏̏̒͛͘͘p̷̭̑ṕ̵̹̠̲̊́͊͊̒́ͅe̷̤̭͋͌̃̈̍a̷̢̙̥̳̦͍̭̾̔̃̌̃͠ř̷̢̙̟͔̻̟̋͘̕ͅ.̵̢̧̛̤̙͔̠͍̞̌͛̈́

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 21:17:20 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]What-[break][break]

By the time Isaac processed that Ash was rushing at him, it was too late to dodge out of the way. The most he could do was desperately throw up a hand to block Ash's-[break][break]

Burned, ruined arm.[break][break]

The guard Isaac raised wasn't remotely close enough to block the punch. It was almost as if he pulled it short to the point of uselessness. Instead, Ash's fist connected clean with his face. He tried to hold his stance firm, the way had taught him, but it wasn't enough. The shift in his body weight caused his systematically shorn ankle to buckle, and Isaac fell into the dead grass.[break][break]

"What the fuck, man?"

Sanford flew in front of him, letting out an ominous howl. Its Growth swelled it up to an intimidating size, but such a fearsome presence barely lasted. In a flash of light, it faded, as if banished before it could even consider making good on its threat.[break][break]

Before the light could even disappear, Isaac shot forward like a bullet. It was a simple double leg takedown, one of the most basic things he could do from his position. Ash had the size and strength advantage, but that didn't mean he'd know what to do if taken off his base. Almost nobody did if they weren't prepared.[break][break]

In that way, grappling and war had a lot in common. You were confident. You were in control. And then the world was snatched away from you, and you couldn't feel your breath, and parts of you hurt that you didn't even know could hurt. All you could do was wonder what happened, and when it happened, and how it happened, and why it happened. Yet every moment you spend on your fear and your confusion and your pain was another piece of control you ceded to someone that was out to get you.[break][break]

If he was successful, he'd try to float over the mount and get Ashley into a side headlock. Control was the name of the game here, because the alternative was unthinkable. "Do you even hear yourself right now? Do you even know what you just said? Come on, man. This isn't you. None of this is!"[break][break]

The alternative was unthinkable.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Kiwi

Ash
He/Him/Them
December 2
Aspertia City, Unova
Pansexual
Picking up the pieces
--
awards
1,109 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ashley
Ashley Shepard
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 21:37:53 GMT
Ashley Shepard Avatar
[attr="class","sawyer"]

tag
notes
Connect. His burned arm slaps into Isaac, without feeling. The fist connects, and as he stands over him, Ashley stares, silver eyes peering from the black strands of hair. He warned him. He warned him, and then-

Sanford appears. Ashley was happy a moment. He was going to-

WHAM.

Ashley is hoisted up into the double leg takedown, and crashes back to earth, and as he hits the ground, the air exits his lungs, his switchblade falling into the grass nearby. His entire body is empty of breath, as he coughs for air, he chokes for oxygen to refill his lungs. He hopes it doesn't. He hopes that it forgets him. But it comes back to him. Of course it does.

It begins to slip. The facade to burn the bridge. The cold steel of emotion he had entrapped himself behind. "SHUT YOUR MOUTH. BASTARD." He isn't yelling at Isaac. He isn't, because he knows damn well who Isaac is. Ash knows damn well what he himself is though. What he deserves. His hand reaches for it. His freedom. A bastard child who was a curse.

y̷̢̦̒̕o̸̢̺͙̟͠ŭ̴̹͉͕̏̍̇́͜ ̴̹̜̿͆́d̴̟̙̻̬̭̱̍o̸͚͎͑̎͛n̷̢̗͕̾͆̍̇̑̕'̸̩͕̼͘t̴͍̫͘ ̵̙̥̯͚̆ͅd̸͎̱̱̟̗͂̂̔̀̎͜é̴͉̬̲͍̑͋̚͘͠ͅs̸̘͒̈́̍̈́̿̕e̵̩̜͐̓̋̚͠r̵͔͌v̸̗͎̍é̴̯̜ ̷̥̋̓̅͆̏à̵͎͂̑̚ṉ̵̈́̋̅̅ÿ̸̡̬̦̘̘́̂̃t̴͙̜̻̜͋̈́͑́͝h̵͖͓̮̱̯̐̒̒̆͑͂ï̸̧̭̘̙̥̻̈́̎̈́n̶̻̔̏̀̐́ǵ̵̬̙̀͑͐̊̍ ̴̡̛̩̫̞̆̿̎̕g̸̜̬̱͇̔́̐o̴̠̩̝̮͌̃͊̕ǫ̴̳̩̰̂̀̀̔̀͜d̸̩͓́͌̊.̵̡̥̟̀͊̎̀

Unfortunately for both of them...

Ashley reaches for the blade with his good arm...

His left hand shoots up to strike Isaac...

What had he done...?

Bongo's eyes flare up. In a brilliant shine of white, Ashley's face is now in the ground by one heavy hand, the giant form of a Rillaboom in its place as the shine stops. But the damage... had it already been done? Bongo's panics, eyes now on Isaac, fear in the gorilla's eyes.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 22:54:00 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]With how close their heads were, Ashley's scream tore through Isaac's ears with enough force to shake his body to the core. Isaac flinched, his grip on Ash's neck almost slipping. He forced himself to hold on. He forced himself to hang in there. He could feel it. This was working. He was reaching him. He just had to hang on. He just had to keep trying.[break][break]

"No." Where Ashley's voice was loud and panicked, Isaac's was firm and unyielding. "I'm not shutting my mouth. I'm not going away. And I'm not leaving you behind, even if you're being a little asshole right now. We're partners, you hear me? And the day I turn my back on you is the day I d-"[break][break]

Isaac's world went white. And then it went black.[break][break]

The entire right side of his face had erupted into pain. It was so intense that his arm seized around Ashley's neck, enough to leave bruises and squeeze what little air he had right out of his throat. Now he was the only screaming in Ashley's ear. It was a horrid sound, thick with agony and wavering with pain, loud enough to shake the trees and ripple the fog before trailing off into mere echoes.[break][break]

Half of Isaac's vision returned to him as he hit the ground. His hand fumbled across his face, desperate to find where the other half had gone. A gash in his skull mask, stretching from cheek to forehead, answered that all too clearly. Nausea built in his gut as he ran his finger across the gash. Blood. Fresh blood.[break][break]

A part of him wanted to keep tracing along the gash. Yet the idea of feeling what had happened firsthand . . .[break][break]

He vomited into the bloodstained grass.[break][break]

How did he even get here, anyway? As he forced his vision away from his finger, he noticed that someone else had come to put Ash down for him. It was none other than Bongo, who had forced himself to new heights of power just to tear Ash away from him. A bloodied switchblade laid in the grass next to him, and he didn't even seem to emote, didn't even seem to react, as Bongo left his face pressed into the ground. It was as if he was little more than a lifeless ragdoll.[break][break]

Isaac tried to open his mouth to say something, but just moving his face caused the pain to erupt again, fresh and new. Briefly, Isaac found himself thankful that he had brought his mask with him. Has Ashley not needed to push through that first layer to make his strike . . .[break][break]

He turned to the Pokeball on the ground next to him. Sanford's. Of course. It was always Sanford, wasn't it? Against all odds, the ill-tempered Dhelmise had become the most reliable member of his team. For one last time, Isaac needed to count on it again. He pressed the release button on the Pokeball, a bloodstained anchor to match a bloodstained young man.[break][break]

"San . . . eye . . . please . . ." Isaac said, barely able to stagger the words out through the excruciating pain. To its credit, the Dhelmise responded instantly, twirling a tendril of seaweed to call forth the world's tiniest Whirlpool. Isaac reached for it, but to no avail. Instead, he ineffectually pawed at the space in front of him. He tried again, but ended up sticking his hand clean through the whirlpool instead. This was going to take some adjustment.[break][break]

Even for a spiteful spirit this was getting hard to watch. Sanford gave up, just guiding the whirlpool right into Isaac's palm. He crushed it in his hand, then splashed the resulting water onto his face. Once more, agony shot through his body, but it was better than infection.[break][break]

As he cleaned himself, Sanford's blooms once more began their Growth. However, rather than intimidate, this time their purpose was to protect. Isaac reached for a particularly thick clump of algae, wadding it into a little ball and sliding it over his eyehole. He then plucked a long ribbon of algae from beneath the Dhelmise, tying it around his head to keep the algae in place. Cleaning? Check. Pressure? Check. Pain relief? Oh, so, so not check.[break][break]

Isaac tried his hardest to force himself to stand. He could barely get himself propped up on a single arm. But progress was progress, right?

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Kiwi

Ash
He/Him/Them
December 2
Aspertia City, Unova
Pansexual
Picking up the pieces
--
awards
1,109 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ashley
Ashley Shepard
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 23:29:22 GMT
Ashley Shepard Avatar
[attr="class","sawyer"]

tag
notes
No.

Bongo's eyes were wide, the gorilla staring at what his trainer had done. Keeping Ashley down, the gorilla would do everything in his power to assist Isaac with a single beefy arm, so much so that he would pull help Isaac to his feet. In fact, using both arms, he would be Isaac's rock, to lean on and help. Letting Ashley go in the process.

Ashley however...

The bloody switchblade lays upon the ground. The red dyes his hands, the fear that takes everything away taking any composure left. It's everywhere. Its red. Everything is red. He realizes what he's done, his whole body is trembling. Even with Bongo gone from his side, from pushing his face into the mud... realization begets suffering. Vomit fills his nose.

He doesn't remember when he started crying. It just all came out of nowhere.

"It's my fault."

His cries are quiet at first, as he's on his knees. The world crashes, it burns, and as he pats at his face, the blood smears all over, cheek to eye, every little bit. "It's all my fault." He damn near screams, choked out through what air he did have, every tremble begging to break him. "I killed her. I don't deserve to be here anymore. She should be alive, not me. I let her die, I killed her, and now I almost killed you too." His face for the first time looks Isaac in the eye.

Tears and snot run clean from his face, trailing down over blood and mud. His silver eyes have their pupils returned, but pricked so much with tears its drowning them. His teeth are gritted together as his guilt weighs heavy upon his shoulders. So heavy in fact, his eyes trail towards the splashes of blood that ruin the dead grass to the source.

There's a moment of freedom he feels, as he crawls towards the switchblade, but the giant form of Bongo doesn't let it happen. In fact, as Ashley grabs for it with the burnt arm, Bongo isn't having it. He slams the arm backwards, a direction it should not bend, an uncomfortable bone break heard for Isaac, Ashley, Bongo, and Sanford to hear. Ashley's right arm is limp, and all he can do, not feeling a hint of pain, is wail on the ground. He screamed, letting the heavens know he did care. He couldn't be that soulless Rocket. Even though Bullet, Pluto, and Kiryu were gone, he felt every one of them.

"I'm sorry. Please... don't go..." He begs Isaac. He begs whoever will listen.

Ashley Sawyer came in today to Mt. Pyre preparing for war. He was alive. A broken, second-degree burn arm, bleeding profusely. Cutting out his best friend's eye because he wanted to die.

How could he look at Isaac now? How could he look Kep in the eyes now? How could Ash look himself in the eyes now?

The shadow is growing. Sunshine loves him. And you nearly killed him. Bongo loves him. And you nearly killed him. Kiryu loved him. And you nearly killed him. He was going to be consumed by this thing before long. If he just lays here, the League will do the rest.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 23:57:46 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Pain and fury tore at Isaac's body like a whirlwind. Betrayal left his blood running cold through his veins. He wanted nothing more than to scream at Ashley, tell him to go fuck himself and stagger out of here the second he could actually stand. How dare he say what he said. How dare he do what he did. How dare he scar him for life twice in the span of five minutes, not just on his face but also on his heart.[break][break]

And then Ash started to speak.[break][break]

All of this talk of weakness was just a security blanket, tied around Ash until it choked his circulation and smothered his face. All of the demands to leave were just the desperate lashes of a broken man, afraid to face the one that he felt he had failed. He was parroting the only thing he knew, the only source of stability in his life, in a desperate attempt to cope with what he had done, what he had lost, how he had failed. And when he was pushed on it, when those protections started to crack, he didn't know how to respond.[break][break]

So instead, he broke.[break][break]

He lunged for the switchblade again. Isaac had the sinking suspicion that, this time, it wasn't meant for him. "No-!" Isaac shouted, but the pain shot up his face and forced him to stagger away. He was helpless here. He was useless here. He'd only be able to watch through a single, tear-stained eye.[break][break]

Bongo wasn't. Bongo refused to let it end like this. He rushed for Ash, grabbing an arm that felt nothing and bending it back until it felt everything. There was a crack. There was a scream. And then there was only silence. Ash was little more than a pitiful, crumpled mass on the ground, choking back tears and begging Isaac to stay.[break][break]

Isaac forced himself to his feet. He staggered over towards Ash. And then he sat by his side, softly running a hand through his hair. "I'm not going anywhere," he said, voice as faint and fragile as a pane of cracked glass. "Ever. I promise."[break][break]

Truth be told, Isaac had no idea how to feel. Ash had hurt him in ways he didn't even think were possible. But all of that hurt was just some desperate, fucked-up attempt at protecting him. He wasn't in his right mind. How could he be? War had torn open every old scar etched upon his brain.[break][break]

But it started before all of this, didn't it? It simply ruptured the wounds that had been caused when Rocket's talons sank back into him. Everything, from what it had asked of him to the mentality it tried to ingrain into him, had been a poison that lead up to this very moment.[break][break]

He wanted to say more. He had to. But that could all wait. Right now, he just needed Ash to know that he was here.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Kiwi

Ash
He/Him/Them
December 2
Aspertia City, Unova
Pansexual
Picking up the pieces
--
awards
1,109 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ashley
Ashley Shepard
POSTED ON Nov 7, 2022 0:33:20 GMT
Ashley Shepard Avatar
[attr="class","sawyer"]

tag
notes
Wailing and crying. Pain and distress. Hatred and self-loathing.

Ashley lays there, feeling everything at once. He can't even move his right arm anymore. Bongo had kept him from a mistake. The thing about it, it felt like the only way out. Now, crying and forced to face the music, he was sure Isaac was going to leave. That he succeeded in his horrible desire to die alone.

He didn't. The sniper had done much to shatter Ashley's resolve. Three deaths, and the last of the three ripped him wide open. Every wound he had, therapy evaporated and re-opened. That's why he lay here, sobbing next to his best friend. Him seating now with no more twenty-twenty vision because of him. Ash had intended to become a villain, to die here for what he had done.

... but as he sobs, its all he can do. That darkness isn't consuming him, its present. It won't ever go away. It's just... there. But Bongo sits between the two. He places one hand on Isaac's shoulder. A comforting hand, as he gives a low smile. The gorilla merely wants to protect the two, any means necessary. From each other. From themselves.

They sit like that for a bit.

---

It's a little later when Ashley stops. He's staring into the mist above. Silver eyes stained. There was no more tears to cry out.

"It was bullshit."

Ashley says.

"... she was stronger than anything I have ever seen. I had the blade to that woman's neck, and I saw everything... I thought, maybe I could... maybe I could stop more bloodshed. But I was out of position. I thought maybe... if I could help, you'd be okay." He explains quietly, his throat taut from the wailing had had done from before.

"Bullet was blindsided, and then I sent Pluto to their death in a hopes to equalize the playing field. They followed without question. I was so angry. At the sniper. At them. At myself. I couldn't see straight anymore."

He confesses.

"When Kiryu went down, all I could think of was Jubilee. How I felt when she died. How you must have felt. It's not an excuse though for it all. I-" He chokes it out. Isaac deserves the answer. "-I already miss them."

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Nov 7, 2022 0:56:41 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"She really was," Isaac said, a tear-stained smile spreading across his face. "She was my dad's Pokemon first, y'know. I was gonna steal her the day I ran away from home. Figured it couldn't just be me and Watson braving the open road, y'know? But . . . she caught me before I could. And she rolled her ball right over to me. Like she knew I was gonna need someone to watch out for me. Knew she was the only one who could. If anything, she stole herself."[break][break]

Reminiscing about the good times hurt like nothing else. Forgetting them would have hurt even more. "Fifty Pokemon later, she's still the center of the team. The oldest. The strongest. And one of the kindest. Always knew how to get the newer member standing on their own two feet. Wasn't for her, I wouldn't even be a tenth of the trainer I am."[break][break]

Why was he talking like this? It wasn't too late. He could save Kiryu. He knew he could. He had to! And yet . . .[break][break]

"It's funny. If she wasn't so strong, didn't care so much, maybe she wouldn't have gotten hurt. Pretty sure an Aggron could take a bullet. Dozens of 'em. But she wanted to be more than that. For me." Isaac's breathing started to hitch. "It's not your fault, buddy. If anyone did this, it was me."[break][break]

No. Kiryu wouldn't have wanted him to carry that weight, when she was always the stronger of the two. "It was her choice to take that risk. And it's because of that risk I'm even still here. She's why I'm alive, so now I'm going to live twice as hard for her. Maybe it'll be enough." It didn't feel like enough. But he'd have to trust himself just as she trusted him.[break][break]

"I'm not gonna be okay. Won't be for a while. Haven't been for a while, either." There was something freeing about finally admitting that. "Should've seen me back there, man. Like some kind of feral beast. I was ready to storm up the peak of Mt. Pyre, tear the whole thing down myself, and die trying. Was ready to take the first League soldier to look at me funny and make their life a living hell. Make them feel all the pain I did. Make them feel worse."[break][break]

"Someone screwed my head back on before it was too late." How in the world could he be mad? Nudge his timeline half a step to the left and he'd be in the exact same shoes as Isaac. "So now I'm here to do the same for you, okay?"[break][break]

If they pulled their heads together, maybe they wouldn't break. "I miss them, too."

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]