Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
5' 11" (181 cm) / 180 lbs (82 kg) height
You're being healed. Please do not resist.
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Update [Isaac/M]
POSTED ON Aug 26, 2023 19:04:45 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Update

well, well, well. Hello again,

"Oh my. What could possibly bring you here?" The young nurse said as he finished applying a band-aid to a small kid's scuffled elbow.

The injury seemed to magically disappear beneath joltik-branded band-aid, leading to a broad smile.

"As for you... All better, ain't it?" he said, ruffling the kid's hair. "Now listen to your mother next time, yeah?"

Winking at said mother, he sent the child off with her, before putting the rest of his attention on one Isaac Merlo, dropping his butt onto a nearby seat.

"Now then— are you also here to 'meet your heroes'?" He asked, leaning his chin atop his palm.

STAMP:
-Helped a distressed child.
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Update [Isaac/M]
POSTED ON Aug 26, 2023 19:51:30 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Depends. Here to meet yours?"[break][break]

Isaac couldn't help but indulge in a little cheeky smile. Honestly, the fact that he was even willing to joke about being someone's hero was a surprising step up. A year ago, Isaac considered the mere concept of heroism to be bunk. To a degree, he still did. But who was he to disagree, if people looked at him and saw something worth believing in?[break][break]

Maybe it was the concept of trying to be a hero that was bunk. You could try to do good. People could decide if that made you a hero. That was that.[break][break]

"Nah, nah, I'm messing. I'm just glad to see you taking your show on the road." He hadn't expected to see John already slipping into a nursing role. Clearly, that accelerated curriculum kicked in after all. "How's it been so far?"

[break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Update [Isaac/M]
POSTED ON Aug 26, 2023 23:32:13 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Update

"Yes~! I heard young, dashing king of olde was to be found in these parts..." He said dramatically, swooning as he leaned his head onto the back of his palm.

He winked, sticking his tongue at the other.

"You wouldn't happen to know where I can find him, would you?"

One mess deserved another, or something.

He reclined back on his seat, yawning whilst stretching his arms wide over his head.

"Been fine. I managed to get a magikarp at the fishing game before clocking in— that was neat." He said with a grin, before finally crossing his arms and settling them onto the table, leaning forward. "My show was on the road from day 1."

He winked once again.

"Just don't tell the Hoenn ministry of health, 'kay?"
STAMP:
-Involve or reference a Magikarp Fishing Game.
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Update [Isaac/M]
POSTED ON Aug 27, 2023 0:03:03 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Hell if I know," Isaac said, winking back. Was it more of a blink when he did it? "But I'll keep an eye out. Can't say I know him, but I'm sure he's a hell of a guy."[break][break]

Okay, okay. Enough joking(?) tooting of his own horn. Isaac was just glad to hear that his friend was making good progress with his ambitions. Apparently, he'd been doing so for longer than Isaac could have expected![break][break]

"Ooooh, we got a renegade here, huh?" Isaac asked, finding himself smirking. Isaac didn't expect a military man to go AWOL like that, but it was clear John was far from the military man he'd been on the eve of Galar. "Now that's what I like to see."[break][break]

"Don't worry. I won't tell yours if you won't tell mine."[break][break]

Isaac still hadn't left, but he'd made great progress in narrowing down where could have been locked away. He'd checked off as much of his bucket list as he possibly could, knowing once he made the break there was no going back. He'd even had a long, serious talk with the spirits of his abandoned home, warning them that they might need to find a new haunt in the coming days.[break][break]

"Get any hard cases yet? Or have you still been on bandage duty for the most part?"

[break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Update [Isaac/M]
POSTED ON Aug 27, 2023 0:34:12 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Update

"Hey, I took my legal leave, and I'll do whatever I want with it!" He said with a snicker.

With their secrets kept safe with one another, the two young, dashing rogues could get down to the business.

The business being chatter.

"Want some taiyaki?" He offered the other man as he placed a box of magikarp-shaped pastries on the table, popping it open.

Just for good will's sake, he popped grabbed one at random and gave it a good, healthy bite.

"Nothing's truly hard when you've got magic on your side." He said with a snort, lying through his teeth. "I was at Fallarbor with a good friend the other day, though."

It was a nice, depressing time with .

"The league's dragging its feet at solving the long time issues caused by the volcanic ash..." He said with a sigh. "So I thought I would step up and help in the meanwhile."

Respiratory issues, ocular and skin irritations... there was a lot of damage that long term exposure to the volcanic ash could cause. And those were only some of the health risks involved.

STAMP:
-Offer another character food.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Update [Isaac/M]
POSTED ON Aug 27, 2023 0:54:30 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Ugh. His work on helping meant food tended to fight back after too long. But how could he say no to all of this delicious looking food? The variety of potential fillings danced through Isaac's head. So be it. He could always make peace with his maker later tonight.[break][break]

"Sounds great to me," Isaac said, flashing a grateful smile John's way. He took a taiyaki at random, taking a bite and perking up at the taste. "Oh damn, you've got good taste."[break][break]

Apparently, taste wasn't the only thing he had. "Magic," Isaac repeated, noting how oddly specific of a phrase it was. "Something tells me we're not just talking Heal Pulses here, are we?" They sure were handy for making pain less severe and healing up minor cuts and bruises, but they were just another thing Pokemon could do. Magic, they were not.[break][break]

Had John just meant their little Galarian detour? Or was there more to it afoot?[break][break]

If there was, it was already being put to good work. Hoenn's most ashen town was about to get some much needed breathing room. "I always did wonder why there were so many towns around Mt. Chimney," Isaac mused. Not even just Fallarbor; Lavaridge was even closer, and just had the fortune of not being upwind. Poor Fallarbor town got the soot along with the heat, it seemed. "Good on you guys for beating the League to the punch there."[break][break]

For a second, Isaac looked thoughtful. "I know you've been closer to the League than me," he said, looking out towards the horizon. "You know why they're always so . . . slow?"

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Update [Isaac/M]
POSTED ON Aug 27, 2023 14:39:27 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Update

"Damn right I do." He said, boldly taking another big fat bite out of the pastry.

At the Isaac's question, he wonders if the man is being coy or is just really uninformed. Then again... he wasn't a priority to rocket. Perhaps his abilities hadn't been shared widely by the few grunts that had witnessed them wholly.

"Let's just say I am going to be the world's greatest surgeon as soon as I finish my training arc." He said with a wink. "You might even get to see my magic at work with your own eyes."

Oooh, foreshadowing.

"Well, Mt. Chimney isn't always active." He mentioned to the other young man, humming. "Maybe the towns formed when it was asleep. Come a couple of generations later, they're too settled in to move elsewhere."

Tradition, sentimental value, comfort, capitalism. There were tons of reasons towns near dangerous circumstances might not be able to move elsewhere.

Often, when a town was completely moved elsewhere, it was a forced development by the government.

He sighed, leaning his head onto his fist.

"We were both leaguers, ya know." He said with a laugh. was specially league. "I can deal with the effects of living there, but my companion has actual pull in the league. Hopefully, she'll make them realize the state of our citizens is not a secondary concern."

At Isaac's question, he snorted.

"Well. Take my word with a grain of salt— I was soldier, not a politician. From my perspective... 7 years ago? Monroe's administration was dog crap." He said simply. "From 2017 to today? Hoenn hasn't been free from conflict and war for even a year. Countries famously get worse during war times, and it takes a while for economies to recover from that— specially if said wars took place on their soil."

tl;dr: War. It was war. The league, as with most governments, could not adequately address its citizens' needs while constantly embroiled in wars of annihilations with Rocket, Megalopolans, Sea Hoennians, fucking ninjas from outer space— All in their own soil, to make matters worse.

War could be profitable for certain... entities, as Unova well knew, but only if you exported it elsewhere.

STAMP:
-Eat carnie food.
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Update [Isaac/M]
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2023 2:18:10 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]It seemed John would be keeping his cards close to his chest. Perhaps that was for the best. Hoenn was a region where everything could go wrong in the blink of an eye. An ace up the sleeve was a rare, precious thing indeed, and it was better that John didn't flaunt his too early.[break][break]

"Y'know, I'd say I've love to check it out sometime," Isaac mused. "But something tells me I'd rather not need to be on the business end of your magic." Isaac had survived enough brushes with death for a lifetime. He didn't need to get torn apart enough to deserve the Humpty Dumpty treatment![break][break]

It would be better to focus those efforts on fixing the region, anyway.[break][break]

If Hoenn was bad now, it used to be so much worse. Apparently the last guy running the show did a garbage job, and when he passed on the reins the new girl inherited tragedies, traumas, and a hell of a forever war. Sure, some of that was because of the Dark Triad, the Megalopians, the Ultra Beasts, SEA Hoenn, and the fact that their universe was created by a god that hated them.[break][break]

But who was lurking in the shadows, making all those problems worse?[break][break]

"You know, its funny," Isaac said, a sorrowful look in his eye as he turned towards John. "All this time, I see all these people that've never been given a chance. Good people who deserve better than the lot they're stuck with. Who I thought were ditched by a world that never gave a shit about them. I guess a part of me figured if we pushed back against the way things were, things'd have to get better, one way or another."[break][break]

"Guess I should've realized we were just making things worse for ourselves all along, huh?"

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Update [Isaac/M]
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2023 18:22:58 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Update

He smiled at the other.

"Smart boy."

With the conversation trending towards political action and rocket, it was inevitable for the mood to come down.

"Don't feel bad. You weren't wrong." He said. "Commissioner seems like genuinely good person to me— but the system she works under was created long before her time. It's not built to do good. That's why things only change when the people band together and demand it."

Rocket, wars, or whatever, a capitalist state was still a capitalist state.

"There's a reason Rocket appropriated revolutionary aesthetics and rhetoric." It was not the first time in history the angry masses were manipulated by sections of a ruling class in order to bring about change... for better or worse.

"Don't get too caught up on your mistakes." He said. "You've been inside rocket... and it seems you're on your way out. Maybe that life experience will be of use to others."
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Update [Isaac/M]
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2023 18:45:44 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]It was a breath of fresh air, however unwarranted, to see someone on the inside agree.[break][break]

"So we've got a system bulit to stop good and a machine out to cause evil." Two great behemoths, each caring not for the people they represented but to save their own hides. Rocket would slaughter a thousand grunts to give Walsh one .ore drop of power. The League stood tall and proud to shelter the status quo, even as such stagnation only let the region fester worse. "Inspiring options."[break][break]

The favored choice was clear. The League's worst excesses were enabled by the presence of their enemy. The worst of its decay was worsened by Rocket's attempt at exploiting them. Were Rocket to vanish, the League could finally strive for better.[break][break]

But would they?[break][break]

It was the riddle for the ages. Dynasties fell and wars raged in a desperate bid to answer the question. Historians and philosophers died before even scratching the surface. It certainly wasn't a puzzle that'd be solved by a reckless young man beating himself up at a carnival.[break][break]

"You're not wrong," Isaac admitted in the face of John's observation. "If people stopped to listen, maybe. For all I know, they hear "Rocket" and I'll already have crosshairs on me." It was sensible. Frankly, Isaac couldn't blame anyone after what Rocket pulled.[break][break]

And yet.[break][break]

The order of kill on sight lasted for but one day, the eve of Hoenn's apocalypse. The sub stayed afloat and Sootopolis stayed intact despite far inferior martial might. They stood at a festival started by, and dedicated to, the efforts of a former Rocket. Perhaps one side had far more mercy for its wayward sons than the other.[break][break]

"You really think its worth a shot, huh?"

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Update [Isaac/M]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2023 15:06:14 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Update

"Of course. It's both moral and pragmatic to do so." He said, leaning his head onto his palm as he turned his gaze over to the crowd, letting his eyes roam over each smiling, laughing face.

"If you truly regret your mistakes, it's not enough to just stop making them." He said.

Whether he meant Isaac himself, or it was just his sentiment, he didn't say. Instead— he switched on a dime.

He stood up with a grunt, streetching his arms over his head before past the table, gesturing for the other to follow with a grin.

"Anyway— You any good at the ring toss game?" He asked, looking over the other young man's missing eye. "I'm guessing not; the Lack of depth perception can't make it easy."

He tapped at his chin, before deciding to stop dancing around it.

"Say. Dunno if you get this question often, but— how did you lose your eye?"

ticket: reference the dugtrio-ring-toss game.
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Update [Isaac/M]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2023 16:01:35 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]There was the other side of the heroism coin.[break][break]

People didn't just do good because it felt good. People did it because they thought it'd do something for them. Maybe they did it to make their own life better. Maybe they wanted to benefit a world they just so happened to live on. Maybe they had their eyes on a much more eternal reward. Or, hell. Maybe it did feel good, and that was its own reward. But that was still a reward.[break][break]

There were no heroes; at least, not any self-appointed ones Isaac trusted. There were only people doing their best in the face of a world that'd keep turning no matter what they did. If their efforts couldn't keep themselves afloat, it became a question of what would break first; their morals, or their bodies.[break][break]

Moral and pragmatic.[break][break]

Before he could say anything, the conversation flipped on a dime. Isaac considered trying to drag it back, but he relented. If John had any interest in the revelations Isaac drew from their little chat, it wasn't an interest in hearing them.[break][break]

"Arceus, no. This point, I'm pretty much set for day to day stuff. But I'm never gonna be a sharpshooter." A quick, probing toss from Isaac might have drawn closer than John expected, but it was still clear Isaac wouldn't be getting on any leaderboards. "Still a pain in the ass sometimes, but once you live with it for a year, you learn to get used to it."[break][break]

A year. A former Rocket. It would be easy for John to start piecing things together from there. Isaac knew there was no way he'd figure out the full story from there.[break][break]

"War's hell." Two words John knew all too well. "They always say your first battle's the worst. But something tells me we're in the same boat on that one." Each senseless death, each ravaged landscape, each nightmare horror trailing on the coattails of it all . . . they all built up. War never got easier. It just broke you into thinking it was the only way forward.[break][break]

"A lot of days have tried to take the crown, but Mt. Pyre's still the reigning, defending, undisputed worst day of my life. I lost someone precious to me fighting for a cause I didn't believe in, all while the real enemy hung right over our heads." By now, he'd come to peace with losing Kiryu. It didn't make what happened any less agonizing.[break][break]

"I took it bad. Wasn't for someone special talking me down, I'd've killed myself rushing that primal point. But my friend, my brother, took it way worse." Isaac's head throbbed, but he fought past it to finish his tale. "I tried to talk him down, just like I was. But if this war hurt me, it broke him. We went from talking to yelling. Yelling to fighting. And he had a knife."[break][break]

A weary smile spread across Isaac's face. "Got my brother back, at least. Shock of what he did snapped him right out of it."[break][break]

Had it been worth it? Yes. Isaac would relive that day a thousand times more of it meant saving . Not just from his mental break. Not just from the battlefield. From all of it. From being shackled back to a life he'd escaped once. From the hollow, tainted satisfaction of killing his father. From his warmth and love being disdained, attacked, and exploited. From what would happen to him if he insisted on lingering behind to protect him, just how Isaac knew he would.[break][break]

There was only one way to stop this madness; to be moral and pragmatic.

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Update [Isaac/M]
POSTED ON Aug 31, 2023 0:24:34 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Update

He had asked what he thought a simple question, but it became clear quickly enough that there was a lot of background behind Isaac's injuries.

"Ah. Meteno." He said simply, suddenly feeling like he needed a cigarette. That or a stiff drink.

So the event had been an eye opener at least for some rockets... pity it had to come to that, but... progress?

The big shocker though was to hear the conclusion to the story. A knife fight with his brother, ending in—

The thought of ever getting into such an altercation with... or was enough to chill him to his core.

"That... sounds harrowing. I'm sorry you went through that." Even if, you know, he had been a rocket doing, well... that.

And yet he still couldn't help but say—

"Not to be insensitive, but... Say, hypothetically, if you could get that eye back."

He paused.

"Would you?"
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Update [Isaac/M]
POSTED ON Aug 31, 2023 1:19:25 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Its fine." Isaac paused. For a second his face scrunched up. "I mean. No, it isn't okay. None of it is. But, what happened happened, y'know? I wouldn't be the guy I am now if it didn't happen. And it sure as hell taught me something important."[break][break]

Team Rocket would take everything from you. It took his eye. It took 's mind. It took Kiryu's life. It would take all of that, and it wouldn't give a single, solitary shit about doing so. The ends justified the means, but who received those ends?[break][break]

Sure as fuck not the grunts in the trenches.[break][break]

"Y'know, maybe you were onto something." Isaac looked back towards the town that, at much the same time, had been ravaged under the shadow of the Meteno. "If I could pick a hill to die on, it'd be to stop people from having to learn what I did the hard way."[break][break]

If Isaac was about to slip into a dreamlike trance, John's words pulled him right out of it. "Man. Much as I'd love to say this is some deep reminder of all the shit I've been through? Screw that noise. I've been reminded more than enough for a lifetime."[break][break]

A while ago, Cygne had offered to build an eye for him. How long had it been since that masquerade? Hell, how long had it been since he'd last seen her? The days since Galar had been a blur. At this point, Isaac had come to terms with the fact that if another eye was possible, it would be on the most distant of horizons.[break][break]

Now, a man bragging about his healing magic asked about him getting the genuine article back.[break][break]

"I'm more used to it than you'd think by this point. So its not, like, the end of the world or anything," Isaac admitted. "95% of the time I'm fine. But, that last 5? Man, it bugs me."

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,879 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
Update [Isaac/M]
POSTED ON Aug 31, 2023 19:10:41 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Update

Doug smiled.

"Glad your head's working right." Leave people wanting to stay crippled for sentimental bullshit in anime, thank you kindly.

He empathized with the guy— and 20 years in Galar had given him enough perspective to really be able to see the story from the former grunt's point of view.

But they had only really met a grand total of twice, frankly. He didn't care about the blonde in that way— so there was a reason he had to be offering it... seemingly for free, right?

"Hm. Hey." He said as he reached into his case, popping it open before fetching... a business card.

John Sullivan

Medic

X-XXX-XXX-XXXX

He held the card out to Isaac.

"Here's my contact info." He said simply, leaning back against the stand. "If you ever wanna try to get that eye back... well, chances are about 30/70 right now. With your help though, we can improve those odds for others. Give it some thought, eh?"