DESTINY BOND [ CLOSED | PAST | KANTO ]

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Nov 14, 2018 9:32:04 GMT
Deleted Avatar
fuchsia city comes alive at night, in its own way. it isn't like saffron or celadon; no flashing lights, no music carrying through the streets, but something else. the quiet darkness is dense, and pure, and sobering. there is something in the air.

ezra is awake.

the bar feels as though it exists in an alternate universe. cigarette smoke twists and swirls visibly in the soft red of the lanterns that hang carefully from above. everything looks more beautiful when the lights are low. the outside world disappears.

"you know, i'm starting to understand."

she finds herself in unlikely, intriguing company. her reasoning for requesting the man's presence has gone yet unspoken, but she'd been careful to stress that it was something important to her. something personal. their greeting (carrying a rare lack of animosity) had been followed by several minutes of mostly silence while they ordered their drinks, but ezra isn't one to beat around the bush for too long. having arrived early, she's already swirling her second serving around in its glass as she throws him a sidelong glance.

"silas. what he sees in you."

close tab

played by

NOODLES

NIKOLAI
HE/HIM
TWENTY-FIVE
CYBER BOY
GYM LEADER
37 height
37 height
awards
241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolai
NIKOLAI PETROV
POSTED ON Nov 14, 2018 12:41:37 GMT
NIKOLAI PETROV Avatar

tension is always present in their air between them. always. it lingers and festers like garbage in the shade, left to do nothing but rot until someone decides otherwise; unfortunately, neither of them have yet to decide.

perhaps it's the cockiness, the arrogance that comes from being a rocket beast, but he never once stopped to think that maybe, just maybe, the tension in the air is because of him.

it's a mistake that will cost him everything.

for as long as he wills it, there's nothing else in the bar but them and their drinks. the burn in the back of his throat from the liquor is a feeling he's willing to endure if it drowns out all others. tonight, he drinks to forget.

tonight, he wants to feel nothing.

her voice interrupts him, making him painfully aware of their surroundings; their situation. "surprised it took you that long." his tone's flat. "but thanks."

the meaning behind her words frighten him because that's the last thing he wanted: to become like them. like her. the fact that she paid him a compliment means it's far too late.

he downs whatever's left.

"why the compliment?" he asks as he gestures towards the bartender to refill. "it's unlike you. makes you sound almost human." 

almost.

@ezra
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Nov 14, 2018 14:36:01 GMT
Deleted Avatar

"hah. of course." a small smirk with a taste of lingering bitterness can be heard in her tone. it never fully leaves, really. that cockiness is exactly the response she's learned to expect from him. for once, instead of leaving her agitated, it almost elevates her.

something inside of her swells as he empties his cup. she finishes her own, and within moments, they're presented another round. tonight is on her.

"i'm glad you've asked." she struggles with the words, even as they leave her mouth, but perhaps not as much as they should. paying this man in particular anything that could even be misconstrued as praise feels unnatural, wrong.

his own words find her sweetly; she knows they aren't meant to, which sweetens them yet still. almost human. how funny, from him.

"if you'll forgive me, i need to make this quick — i have other intimate matters to see to tonight — however," she takes her last allowed pause, letting her hands worry as they please. even as she clutches her lowball glass, her thumbs move around each other in circles.

"i wanted to thank you," the woman's stare returns to the surface of the bar, but she keeps him clear in her periphery, "for making yourself stand out. i like it when silas and i are able to see eye to eye. it makes things much easier, for everyone."

nikolai has known of her identity for a while now, but for once, she wears her hair down.

"surely, you know how i feel about him."

close tab

played by

NOODLES

NIKOLAI
HE/HIM
TWENTY-FIVE
CYBER BOY
GYM LEADER
37 height
37 height
awards
241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolai
NIKOLAI PETROV
POSTED ON Nov 14, 2018 16:44:58 GMT
NIKOLAI PETROV Avatar

the situation slowly tilts but he's too blind to see it: it's apparent in her voice, with how she presents herself; it's as if she knows too much; knows that something's going to happen, that perhaps she's going to be the one who forces the situation in her favor.

or maybe she already has.

"you're ditching me already?" there's almost a hint of disbelief in his voice but he should've known better than to trust a rocket. it's playful banter in his head for now as he shrugs his shoulders, shakes his head, and takes another sip of his drink while she speaks.

she mentions silas and he scoffs. "not hard to see eye to eye with that midget." he says because he knows exactly how she feels about him. he's goading her, and it's clear with the smirk on his face. "i do, and i think you hold him too highly." 

not many dare speak ill of the rocket boss but he has no qualms about it. in fact, he almost invites it. he slides an empty glass towards the bartender again.

"he's powerful but he has weaknesses, as we all do." he tilts his head only to look at her. it's not common for her to shed herself of her identity. he appreciates it while he can; his eyes wander. "people fear him but without fear he's nothing. take away his followers and he's nothing."

he pauses for a moment.

"in fact, you could make a better boss than him."

@ezra
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Nov 14, 2018 19:13:47 GMT
Deleted Avatar

"not yet, not yet," the assumption almost prompts a laugh, but not quite. what a literal interpretation. truthfully, she doesn't want this interaction to carry on any longer than necessary, but she'll extract as much pleasure from it as she can in the meanwhile. "we have some time. i wouldn't be drinking if we didn't."

the insults to their boss roll off of her like water, but her smile departs at the same time. such jabs aren't unusual from him. they don't exactly get under her skin, but she can't say she's fond of them either. her outward loyalty to their boss is certainly overstated in comparison to her true sentiments, but he is still the only person to whom she has willingly bowed. that means something, if only to her, if only for now.

"it's true. in the end, he's human." silas is perhaps the most human of the three of them, but he would certainly have her forget that if he were able. she holds the thought on the back of her tongue, washes it down with another shot.

"it's still funny you should say so, considering the circumstances," a pause, "but i guess you wouldn't know. that's why i'm here, after all."

that look (no matter how surreptitious) is one that she recognizes, one of few that nearly trips her up even now. the desire to escape that gaze is one of many reasons she hides herself the way that she does.

she returns it, even so. men are weak. men are predictable. a feigned double take later and her stare burns through him, intense, but without outright objection.

it makes for a good segue into the matter at hand, if nothing else. she purposefully hesitates for just a moment before shifting atop her bar stool to angle herself in his direction, leaning casually but deliberately against the counter. propping her head up, she gestures for another drink. something to blame.

"i'm looking forward to a very important promotion. very soon." she delivers the statement with the same stoic tone as always, but there's a certain energy that buzzes around it. "he's graciously allowed me to bring you the news that we see something similar for you. the sooner you mentally prepare for a change in rank, the better. more information will find you when such is necessary."

a grin touches her expression, in compliment to her half-lidded eyes.

"hopefully some gratitude will find you, too."

close tab

played by

NOODLES

NIKOLAI
HE/HIM
TWENTY-FIVE
CYBER BOY
GYM LEADER
37 height
37 height
awards
241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolai
NIKOLAI PETROV
POSTED ON Nov 15, 2018 2:43:41 GMT
NIKOLAI PETROV Avatar

the problem isn't overpowering the rocket boss, which is a task he's confident he could do if given the chance, but it's the aftermath that stops him; that stops everyone. fear has willed it so the man has loyal followers that would soon die for him than to even dare question him. it's their undying loyalty that makes the man so powerful. so fearful. nikolai isn't afraid but maybe he should be.

maybe he should have known better.

"give him an extra foot and maybe i'll finally be able to see eye to eye with him." he continues goading because it's the most he can do. "maybe a step. some heels, maybe?"

his voice doesn't cower, not even for a second. it's drowned out in a sea of noises, lost in the vastness of the bar they're stranded in.

it's subtle, but he tenses up at the mention of a promotion. his eyes narrow for a split second before he blinks, turning away to reach for his refilled drink. he doesn't drink it yet.

"don't keep your hopes up."

underboss leaves a bitter taste in his mouth that's somehow worse than the liquor. it stings and burns even as he tries to wash it away. the bottom of the glass hits the counter as he takes a deep breath. "congratulations, darling."

venom in his voice, he speaks. "one step closer to your dreams." another shot and he's asking for more. his hand shakes but he hides it well. he can't stop until he feels nothing.

for now, he feels scared.

@ezra
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Nov 15, 2018 4:51:09 GMT
Deleted Avatar

it isn't as though ezra ever expected their interaction to be a particularly pleasant one — together, it doesn't feel as though they're capable of that — but fortunately, her patience stretches farther when she finds herself in good spirits. in the first place, the man's comments are inconsequential. there is no need to elevate silas when nikolai can be made to kneel.

she suffers through the childish banter for what she's really waiting for: that reaction. he's harder to read at moments like these, but that doesn't mean much. any change at all to his disposition is enough to let her know that her words have taken root in his mind. he understands, or at least, he understands as much as he needs to.

"thank you." her voice carries her smile with it. "i'm in a good mood, so i'll even forgive your tone."

he's already ordered for himself, but a casual wave grabs the attention of the bartender. holding two fingers up, she reaches into nikolai's space and taps them twice against the bar in front of him. a double order, to keep him warm, and however many he might choose to put on her tab as the night grows colder yet. with that, she empties her own cup and finds herself to her feet.

"that's all i needed you to hear." short, and as sweet as she could manage, "your company has been appreciated. unless you have any parting words for me, i'll be leaving you to your thoughts."

she has certainly given him enough to think about.

"i hope you've enjoyed yourself as much as i have."

close tab

played by

NOODLES

NIKOLAI
HE/HIM
TWENTY-FIVE
CYBER BOY
GYM LEADER
37 height
37 height
awards
241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolai
NIKOLAI PETROV
POSTED ON Nov 15, 2018 14:55:55 GMT
NIKOLAI PETROV Avatar

there's a crack in her usual facade that goes unnoticed by him: she's in a good mood, which is odd because her clear lack of emotions is what sets her apart. it's why silas has put so much faith in her; it's why he's promoting her; and it's ultimately why she's still alive.

she orders two more drinks for him as a parting gift and asks him if he has any final words for her; if only he knew the true implication behind her words. he'd kill her her on the spot.

but, unfortunately, he does not have that luxury. 

"pleasure's all mine." he lifts his glass up in toast before downing its content. even as she turns to leave he still doesn't see the situation as he should have. the alcohol has made it impossible to even detect the clearly laid out hint: the bait for him to latch on to.

on a different day he'd have known the moment he stepped into the bar. on a different day he'd have noticed her odd disposition. on a different day, he'd have been able to save them. but today, the bell tolls for his reckoning. he will pay for his sins in a way he never could have prepared himself for.

on this day, he loses everything.

with a resolved sigh, he leans against the counter and continues drinking. soon, he feels nothing.

@ezra
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Nov 18, 2018 6:24:19 GMT
Deleted Avatar
ezra doesn't drink. she never has.

she and silas do see eye to eye, now. nikolai truly has made himself stand out. the news of his attempted default had found them almost as soon as it had happened in the first place. there will be a change in rank, effective immediately, delivered unto him without mercy or hesitation.

his parting words are the most dishonest thing uttered that night: the pleasure will be hers.

the address and photos are easily accessed on one of many burner phones that have made their way into the woman's hands. the petrov family is beautiful. two loving parents, still happily married, father sitting comfortably among the elite four, and a younger sister on track to lead a gym of her own someday. her hands don't shake, but were she a weaker person, they may have.

she hopes nikolai has been counting his blessings. she hopes nikolai has counted his blessings every day of his life. she hopes he knows how lucky he is. she hopes this hurts.

she spends not more than three minutes in the house. the world is cruel and unjust, and ezra is nothing if not a product of her environment. there is never a chance for a fair fight: the scene left behind is almost too clean to be called an execution. his parents never leave their bed, though his sister isn't so lucky.

a first glance betrays the situation. tragedy is evident in the red of their pillows, of the hallway wall, the stained wood floors. red rorschach blots arrange themselves in an inquiry, begging by their very nature to be assigned meaning where none exists.

on her way out, she tucks certain valuables into her bag — money, pokeballs — but doesn't go looking beyond her set path. standing in the dark foyer, she puts her hair up with distinct lack of hurry, sweeping it under her cap as she's done thousands of times. the quiet night greets her warmly once more as her salazzle's flamethrower catches the family home, taking any identifying evidence with it.

by the time she's out of sight, she feels nothing, too.

close tab

played by

NOODLES

NIKOLAI
HE/HIM
TWENTY-FIVE
CYBER BOY
GYM LEADER
37 height
37 height
awards
241 posts
part of
TAG WITH @nikolai
NIKOLAI PETROV
POSTED ON Nov 18, 2018 7:36:08 GMT
NIKOLAI PETROV Avatar

his phone rings.

his blood runs cold.

"anna? what's wron—" all it takes is a single sob to sober him up. he's off his seat and out the door even before he finishes his sentence. "stay on the phone. i'm on my way." 

her words are inaudible; they escape as soft, fleeting breaths that disappear far too quickly. "just stay with me. don't leave me yet. please don't leave me." he moves with a sense of urgency never seen before, meandering through the thick of the crowd, up and down the long alleyways that cut through different roads, all in a desperate attempt to reach her in time.

but it's not enough.

"i'm almost there. don't worry, i got y—"

the line cuts.

"anna?" 

all he hears is nothing. he almost gives up at that point but he wills himself to keep moving; tells himself that it's not over yet, that she's still alive. that his family is still alive. his mind never rests, not even once as his fingers find and calls another one of his contacts.

it rings for far too long. "the house, cormac. the fucking house. now!" he hangs up before a response can be given because both of them know how dire the situation is. he makes it in under a minute.

his breath catches in his throat at the sight of orange; fire burns away at his heart, at his home, scorching it in its entirety until there's nothing left. he doesn't hesitate to run through the fires, embracing its searing hot heat that lick away at his bare skin.

he finds her unconscious body in the middle of the living room. "fuck, fuck—" he doesn't have time to think, no time to call out his pokemon to help. he rushes to her side, knees skidding against the harsh ground as his arms wrap around her. her body burns but he embraces her, pulling her close before rushing out of the building.

she's burned but not nearly enough to be disfigured, and that's the worst part: he sees the pain on her face, the helplessness in her eyes. she's no longer breathing, far from it, but he lays her down on the ground and attempts cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

"no, no, no, no, no—don't leave me. not yet. not now." his hands never stop pumping, breaking her ribs but it's to no avail and he knows it. "please! fuck. i can't lose you. please, anna." he doesn't look away, he doesn't stop trying, not even when he feels hands on his shoulders.

they try to pry him away.

"i'm here now; i'm here. i promised i'll be here." 

'she's dead, nikolai.'

he can't hear him. he has to be dragged off of her, held back by the arms of a man of equal strength, but in that moment he feels much, much weaker.

'i'm sorry.'

tears cascade down the side of his face; they have been for a while now. guilt turns into rage because blame is easy to be cast aside. "fuck you, cormac! you were supposed to keep them safe. why are they dead? why did you let this happen?" he thought he could trust the league commissioner; thought that with his help, they could turn the tide.

but the truth is, he let this happen on his own volition. they're dead because of him.

still, it doesn't stop him from throwing a punch. and another. and another. cormac takes it because he can; because it's all he can do to help nikolai. after the fourth punch, cormac catches it and throws one in return. the impact sends nikolai to the ground.

with hands sprawled along the warm dirt, he finds his sister once again and clings on to her for dear life. "i'm sorry." he sobs. and cries. and screams.

"i'm sorry."

@ezra