2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
battle litany [ mission ]
POSTED ON Apr 24, 2021 18:55:58 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

cait peered down at the gauntlets that had been delivered onto her property several days prior. they had been discreetly stowed away, provided by silph co. and properly sized to fit her measurements. while her experience with combat was adequate, she very rarely had to utilize her own body in the act of self-defense. 

the woman had been informed that she'd be expected to learn. as an avatar, she could not rely solely upon pokemon for aid. if they were incapacitated she'd have little choice but to fight. surrendering made for a poor alternative, after all - and she was already categorized as a mediocre battler. 

deciding upon her weapon of choice had been somewhat difficult. guns were favored among the populace, but acquiring a license was difficult - even with her clean record in tow. additionally, she found the firearms to be in poor taste. blades were next, but cait felt they could easily be knocked aside and rendered useless. 

so she considered her past experience and decided upon gauntlets, the weapons subtle yet effective if utilized correctly.  once worn they fit snugly over her arms and shoulder once a trigger mechanism was switched; ensuring that the entirely of the limb was sufficiently protected. 

https://pa1.narvii.com/5794/b772f8145dd60347dd67c0d02119c60e9b6e6659_hq.gif

"wow. they're just like claws."

she flexed her fingers experimentally and then scored the earth at her feet with a swipe, creating a sizeable gash. 

"
oh-ho," she tittered, her eyes alight. 

her two weavile stood before her, eyeing their mistress as she grinned. 

"
i wonder if this is how pokkenger feels when he's in full costume.

https://veekun.com/dex/media/pokemon/icons/461.pnghttps://veekun.com/dex/media/pokemon/icons/461.png

@open
- mission
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
5' 11" (181 cm) / 180 lbs (82 kg) height
You're being healed. Please do not resist.
awards
2,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Apr 24, 2021 22:54:55 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar
How many kilometres, now...?

Crud. He hadn't kept proper count. Should he start over? Maybe he really should try investing on one of those newfangled 'smart phones' that were all the rage...

A worthless thought; he did not have the capital for such things.

For several uncounted miles now, the youth had run. Jogged, sprinted, leapt, climbed. If the plan had been cardio then it had certainly gone beyond it.

He was the Captain now. If his soldiers ran 10 kilometers a day, he had to run at least twice that, with twice the weight, in as uneven a terrain as possible. Anything to prove he was worthy of being their commander.

Specially given he was absolutely worthless as a soldier where it mattered.

His face burned, his lungs burned, his legs burned, but he did not dare stop; if your body hadn't given up on you then you were not at the point of needing rest just yet.

He jumped up to grab onto the edge of elevated ground, swinging himself atop it before breaking into a sprint through the woodland, leaping over tree roots and ducking under low branches.

In the distance, he saw it as he grew closer- a fissure running along the soil, cutting a wide enough gorge a thin river could run through it.

Breath puffing in and out, the youth's sprint quickened, arms swinging wildly as the fissure grew closer and closer.

He leapt. And even as he did, he felt his heart skip a beat, feeling from the way his feet almost gave out under him... He was not gonna make it.

"DAMN IT-!" His chest slammed against the other edge of the gorge, bouncing off it and falling madly into water below with a loud splash, back first.

It was shallow water. The wind was knocked out of his lungs, and he coughed roughly, feeling the shock of the landing spread through all of his body.

He laid there for a moment, staring at tree tops and what little blue sky peaked through them before rolling over with a rough series of coughs, attempting to kneel only to faceplant onto the water, his legs like jelly.

Panting heavily, the youth dragged himself over the shallow water until he made it to a shore.

He rolled onto his back and gasped once he made it there, taking deep, long breaths as he laid himself spread eagled, almost unable to move.

Still staring at the sky, the youth slowly dragged his gaze around him, not too keen on being caught off guard by some wild pokemon while he was like that.

He found no wild pokemon- but a small silhouette among the trees, he did saw, across the shallow river.

"What...?" He muttered, squinting at the silhouette... and seeing double. He almost puked then and there.

But that aside, he could have sworn he was familiar with that figure...

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
slithers of wistful window gazes glint in borrowed light
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Apr 24, 2021 23:42:24 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

a startling amount of noise was generated from john's mostly one-sided battle against a slim body of water. unfortunately, it appeared as though the moving liquid came out of it victorious. cait and her weavile approached the exhausted youth as he found his way onto his back, their steps hurried. the adolescent would be greeted by the sight of the woman peering down at him, her concern for his well-being obvious. 

".... john?"

she knelt at his  side and nearly moved to touch him before retracting her hands and curling her fingers uselessly; her weapons were still equipped and a single touch - even a light one - could potentially result in a nasty scratch. 

'i need to be careful about that,' she realized. 

cait removed them after a bit of fumbling, her freshly-bared paws seeking to gingerly cup the boy's face. her hands were soft and her touch was gentle and warm, the woman making sure to slow her pattern of speech as she minded his present state of mind. 

"
you're okay," she assured.

'he's soaked. poor thing.' 

his attire was utterly laden with excess liquid, the fabric clinging onto sore muscles and sun-kissed skin. 

"
go get my bag."

the order was directed at her weavile and had been quickly obeyed, the woman soon producing a cloth from its confines before wiping down the youth's face and neck.

"
how are you feeling?"

her inquiries only came when his breathing had calmed and his eyes had visibly cleared.

"
are you hurt anywhere, baby?"  

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Apr 26, 2021 20:34:36 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

The silhouette came closer, twin figures in tow, and it quickly became clear why it had been so familiar.

It was Ms. Cait. Wearing The Shredder's claw, to boot.

"Think I hit my head too hard." He mumbled lowly, watching The Claw™ come worryingly close to his face and somehow managing to maintain a state of complete, dissonant serenity the entire time.

Fortunately, the good lady stopped and did away with the dangerous cosplay prop (because why else would a sweet lady like Cait be totting around something so dangerous looking) before she could add another scar to Doug's collection.

The youth leaned against her touch (did his best to try anyway) as she spoke a reassurance, her words more or less going in through one ear a garbled mess and coming out the other with not a single one registering.

That was probably bad. He really might have hit himself too hard.

Eventually, as the woman kindly wiped at his bruised face and neck, the youth's senses began to clear; almost as immediately as they did, Cait seemed to catch on. Was she used to dealing with the injured? Wouldn't surprise him if so.

Her words were rather soothing, her accent being so similar to his own. It gave him a sense of nostalgia.

"Ms. Cait." The youth finally managed to utter, somehow prioritizing acknowledging her over responding inquiries on his health. "It's nice to see ya again!"

He hadn't gone out on a run expecting to run into anyone he knew, specially not his oft impromptu theology teacher. It had been... Couple of months? Far too long, since he had seen her.

Was he hurt? His chest did hurt, but he didn't think it was anything serious. He had felt much worse before anyway. So he simply laughed, his chest seizing into coughs shortly after.

"N- Nah. I'll be fine. Don't think I broke anythin'." He said, wiggling his torso uncomfortably. Yup, everything was still in place. He grinned up at her. "Sorry to crash without callin'! Wasn't expectin' to run into anyone out'ere! Any thing, either."

He had been wrong on both counts.

"What'cha doin' out 'ere, Ms. Cait?" He asked after a moment. He chuckled. "Not waitin' for me to faceplant, I hope."

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Apr 26, 2021 21:30:07 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

"it's nice to see you too."

she didn't appear to be convinced even as he shifted his body experimentally - his sporadic coughs causing incredulousness to form. 

"
stay still while i look you over."

her gaze sharpened, turning analytical as she took in the length of his lean build. there was nothing that immediately caught her eye, though the occasional bruise which presently marred the flesh of his face caused her to frown slightly.

'he'll be fine.'

"
you'll live. this time," she said, jokingly. 

cait was half-tempted to mend the bruises, but she couldn't coddle the young man completely. so instead she offered him an answer to his question. 

"
just out here for some personal training. i've been provided a few toys to play with."

after tucking the damp rag into her bag, she'd reach for her gauntlets and raise them. the hardened material clacked together, the claws gleaming in the light of day. 

"
pretty cool, aren't they? dangerous, too."

she showcased their sharpness to the youth, a tiny prick of pain resulting in a bead of crimson which formed at the very tip of her finger. 

"
and what are you doing here? out for an impromptu swim?"

cait's tone of voice was joking as she rubbed her digits together and smeared crimson on the pale underside of her hand, the wound quickly and discreetly mended. 

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Apr 28, 2021 1:19:05 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar
"Yes, ma'am." He said as she looked over his bruised figure with a critical eye, glad to have worn his undershirt. He suspected he would never hear the end of it if she got a peak at the thing in his chest. "It's been a while, hasn't it? I was wonderin' how ya were doin', with all that's been goin' on."

The Rockets declaring themselves to be back had thrown the youth's life for a loop. Had it messed with Cait's as well?

Her analysis over, Dr. Alfric gave her expert opinion.

"Darn. Guess I ain't skipping out on Hoenn's most recent mess." He managed to chuckle out. "Back to work it is."

With those words said, the youth forced himself to lurch forward onto a sitting position, rubbing his chest gingerly as he breathed in slowly, before turning himself where he sat to look at Cait, eyeing her with palpable curiosity.

"Trainin'?" He asked. "What, like yer Weaviles?"

No, as it turned out.

Like her Shredder™'s Claws.

Doug eyed the things with wide open eyes, looking between it, and Cait.

"Excuse me, what?" Doug uttered, looking completely bewildered as Cait managed to draw blood out of her own finger with that thing- with absolute ease.

That thing was real.

He associated Cait with many things; peace of mind, a soothing voice, religion, Arceus, kindness.

Ninjutsu was not one of them. Not bladed weapons either; not weapons at all, as a matter of fact.

How much did he even know about Cait again...?

Other than her name, family history, and some details, not a terrible lot. Not terribly in depth, either...

"... Why?" He asked, genuinely curious. Cait truly did not strike him as the kind of woman who go out armed with a glock 'just in case'- much less The Claw™.

There had to be a reason.

If he wanted his questions answered however, he supposed it was only fair that he return the gesture.

"I'm trainin', too. Daily routine, ya know?" He said, before flushing slightly. "Er, running, I mean."

Not the whole crashing and splashing part. Considering his goal had been to outdo the soldiers at camp and prove he was worthy of being their superior despite his age, but had somehow ended up being helped and treated to by a woman he usually needed to think twice before speaking to so he wouldn't call her mom...

He sighed.

"Those people are back, so... A soldier's got to be at its best." He was not doing terribly well on that front.

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Apr 28, 2021 19:33:29 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

she had hoped the youth would be far too intrigued by her new 'toys' to question her reason behind owning the freshly-crafted gauntlets. the smile she wore lessened as she set them aside, a hint of sadness entering her gaze as she decided to bestow upon him a rare and deeply personal knowledge. 

"john," she began. "
you're well-aware of our enemy and the threat they pose to regional security."

cait paused and a hint of hesitation surfaced before she continued.

"
a while ago - before we met - i was assaulted in my own home by someone affiliated with team rocket. they hurt me in a way i'm not entirely comfortable with sharing. and part of the reason why they succeeded was because i couldn't defend myself. and because of that me and someone who i care for suffer daily from the aftermath of that single moment."

she averted her gaze, that lingering pain beginning to intensify. her eyes stung slightly, but she blinked rapidly and shook her head to clear her mind.

"
so i'm working hard so that it never happens again."

cait forced herself to meet his eye, her expression hardening slightly. but her voice remains soft, the woman's volume barely above a harsh whisper as she speaks. 

"
do you understand?"   

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON May 2, 2021 23:52:28 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

"Yes." He said, brow shifting low, mood immediately turning for the worse.

Rocket was a cancer. The longer it was allowed to roam free, the worse it became. Untreatable in Kanto now that it had taken over- or at least, so the world seemed to think, seeinghow unwilling to do anything it appeared to be.

But it had chosen to reveal itself in Hoenn; there was a chance now.

But of course, even before they revealed themselves they had already left injury on Hoenn.

And as it turned out, on Cait.

Pupils narrowed. Teeth crashed together. Hands clawed the earth, digging until soil and grass gave way.

The youth's brow had sunk low enough it almost seemed to merged with the white of his eyes, twisting tautly until the veins running on his forehead and jaw began to show.

Of course she would arm herself. Of course she would train. She had been made to hurt and suffer by them- permanently, by the sound of it.

What else could she do? Forgive and forget?

The youth's temper made his chest rise and fall quickly, the veins running along his arms tremble, his gaze almost turn red- but there was nothing to throw his anger at here.

And what would a crap soldier who couldn't shoot dummies in the head do to real, live people anyway?

He felt himself slowly deflate, his anger abandoning him in the face of that though- of the that memory.

He was all bluster.

"Yes... Yes, I... I'm so sorry it happened to you." He said, lowering his gaze to his lap. He didn't know what they had done. But still. His brow curled again, much more weakly, and his hands squeezed the soil. "I'm so sorry I can't do anything."

He couldn't find those responsible, nor even make vague promises as to what he would do if he did. He was bloody useless.

He grit his teeth, before shaking his head sharply.

He couldn't make it about himself. Forcing himself to meet her gaze as well, the youth brought his hands to his knees, squeezing them.

"S- so... What are you going to do?" He said, looking at her weapon. "Do you have a..."

He paused, brow furrowing in thought.

"Training plan?" He said after a moment, uncertain if that was the right word. He glanced at the duo of Weaviles accompanying her, growing somewhat worried.

She wasn't planning to spar with her pokemon, was she?

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2021 21:38:16 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

within her more darker and personal depths - she experienced a twinge of delight over the anger that surfaced upon his facial features. it allowed that seed of loathing toward team rocket to further blossom, aiding the youth down what she considered to be the correct path.

perhaps this is why she had found him so easy to adore. he was the idealistic son of hoenn, someone who could prove willing to do whatever was necessary to ensure it's safety and future.  it was inevitable he'd grow to become someone noteworthy - and far more powerful than she could ever hope to be. 

"just give it time," she promised.

she left it at that, her statement kept purposefully vague. the youth changed the topic of discussion, with cait's attention shifting away from him in favor of the weapons she carried. 

"
i do! i'm planning on emulating my pokemon. weavile and sneasel are born with their claws, after all. and it helps that they're bipedal."

her pokemon visibly perked up as they were mentioned again.

"
it'll take some practice and hard work. but i'll eventually figure out what works for me."

she fixed her own expression into faux seriousness, the woman's strange's eyes narrowing slightly. 

"
you still have to give my cabin a visit, john. you know you're always welcome. i'd love to have you over for lunch or dinner. it gets lonely out there with just my fiancée to talk to, you know?

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2021 21:01:48 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

He hated waiting. Being stubborn did nothing to alleviate it frustration, however.

As the subject changed to her training, his gaze followed her own, fixing unto her weapon as she spoke.

"That makes sense." The youth said as he curled his legs under him, gripping at his ankles. His brow furrowed in thought. "Do you have a sparring partner?"

His gaze shifted towards her pokemon.

"That is, an adult sized one, rather?" He said after a moment, scratching at the back of his head.

Not only were the two pokemon severely more capable than most humans could ever hope to be- they were also much smaller. They would not be good opponents, if the woman's desire was to defend from human assailants.

After a moment, he offered a tentative smile.

"I, uh. I've been training with and for a while now, if ya need one!" He said; Noah could more or less be considered single-handedly responsible for the youth's late growth spurt and new bulk.

He laughed a moment later when she narrowed her eyes at him, a nervous energy in him becoming more apparent as he looked away and pushed his index fingers together.

"I'm really sorry. With all that's been happenin', I've, uh... been trippin' down a lotta rivers lately." He admitted. Wasn't the first time he nearly injured himself training this week, wouldn't be the last either. "Haven't been keepin' up with friends at all. The League and the military both've been on edge."

It had been a good while since he had mentored or even seen . Not much thought had been spared for his other friends either. He had been... focused.

"Maybe we can schedule something now?" He offered tentatively. He would have even less time in the near future- for Cait or any of his friends. Perhaps he should make an effort now to enjoy their company, before he became trapped within his newest office.

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2021 10:55:00 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

she visibly mulled over his words, genuinely pleased that the youth had offered to spend some time with her in the near future. it'd be nice to have someone occasionally come around for a visit. while she wasn't exactly lonely, a few more human faces popping up would be nice. and it wouldn't take long for her pokemon to learn that john was to be allowed full access to her property. 

"you picked great mentors for yourself."

the two figures had participated in a multitude of wars, their names well-known among the league.

"
as for scheduling - it depends on whenever you're available. i've quit working for the league and mostly focus on my craft. so i'm almost always at my cabin or with my pokemon."

she went on to explain that she produced soaps, shampoos, candles, natural remedies and collected and prep produce that originated from her pokemon.

"
mostly milk and eggs," she said. "and only a little meat from wild game they catch. i have to be careful with that, of course. a good portion of the meat they bring to me is a bit gamy, so i just store it for my pokemon to consume if it's safe for their consumption. there's also skins that are shed by my serpents or insects, venom, saliva, scales - they sell decently on the markets."

once again she shifted the topic toward the youth, her eyes searching his features and taking in the muscle he had acquired with an analytical sweep of her gaze. 

"
how have you been training? do you mean with your pokemon, with your fists or with a weapon of choice?

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2021 16:03:49 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

"I'm available now." He said, offering a tentative smile as he scratched at the back of his head.

He had delegated all the tasks that he could back at base, and his studies could wait until the night... An all nighter wouldn't kill him.

The Charja-Cola might though.

Now aware of more or less how Cait lived, the youth was reminded heavily of his father's farm- if on a much larger scale. Ms. Cait must've had a vast amount of pokemon to run such operations; the logistics of it all must have been a nightmare to account for.

"I didn't know ya ran somethin' like a farm, Ms. Cait! Let me know if ya ever need help- I used to live in one, so I know a thin' or two!" He said, grinning as he leaned forward. "Never eaten anythin' m'pokemon caught- but then, only Kama really hunts... and she don't share much."

He doubted could find anything brutalized by that butcher of a Scyther all that appetizing anyway.

As Cait's gaze swept over his body analytically, the youth couldn't help but flush slightly, feeling his body tense on reflex.

"Uh... Last two. I haven't really gotten into scraps with m'pokemon yet- though I did find a promisin' Machop recently." He said, scratching at his chin in thought.

Little Cobra Jr. was already an expert practitioner of most martial arts in the world; once he evolved, he would probably be an excellent sparring partner and teacher.

"But as for what I've actually done- We were trained in CQC when I joined the army during bootcamp, and the drill sergeant kept at it for a good while, too." Despite the pains that man put him through, he remembered him rather fondly.

Probably because he hadn't seen his angry, red, screaming face in a while.

"After I became a 2nd lieutenant though, training sorta became my own responsibility- I had already been a regular at 's gym for a couple o' months by then, though." He said, remembering his first meeting with the man; he had sought him out only a couple of days after enlisting.

The first days of bootcamp had been hellish to a malnourished youth like him- he had realized quite quickly that he needed help.

"He taught me 'bout muscle buildin'- both the dieting and the exercise parts, and he's still teachin' me Mixed Martial Arts to better my CQC. He pretty much introduces me to the mat every mornin'." He said in a mutter, reaching over to rub at his shoulder as he said this.

He and the mat were well acquainted fellows at this point. He was asking the mat about how its wife was doing these days; a little humor to disperse the pain on whatever body part he landed on hardest.

"We had been trained in shootin' back at Bootcamp- and I was quite good at it. M'pops taught me how to use a hunting rifle when I was a kid, ya know?" He said, lip curling slightly at the memory. Not that it wasn't a fond one, but he didn't like thinking about those times anymore. "But I, uh... hit a big slump after a mission involving Megalopolans in the desert. It all went fine, but..."

He had gotten some Megalopolan brain matter splattered across his face, courtesy of .

"After that mission, I couldn't hit the manikin targets' heads anymore." He said, "Or handle the sight of blood, really."

Not ideal, when you were a soldier.

"My superior officer... for some reason he was always helpin' me out- So he gave me a letter and sent me to introduce m'self to ."

And that... Was quite the meeting.

"I was... kinda excited, ya know?" He said with a laugh. "Mr. Benoit was really kind to us Kanto refugees; if it weren't for his foundation, m'pops, a crops farmer without land, and m'mom, a music teacher without 'er piano, wouldn't have ever managed to find their footing in Hoenn."

He sighed, shaking his head.

"Sorry, gettin' off track. So, uh-" He said, gripping at his chin. "Noah trained me for advanced Self-defense- ya know, grapple with the best of 'em, proper form, incapacitate and run, such things. Mr. Benoit... trained me to snap an arm and a leg at the same time."

Among other things.

"He taught me many things... very ugly, but necessary things." He said, his jaw tightening. "These days... I can handle blood."

And much worse as well, as his young friends could attest.

"I'm back on top o' m'game at shootin', too." He said, before biting onto the corner of his lip. "Though... I've yet to kill anyone."

Shooting most pokemon was easy; you didn't expect them to be too hurt by it, compared to the crap they went through on a league sanctioned match.

People, though? They were extremely fragile. Doug preferred incapacitating with his pokemon or fists, and so far, it had worked.

But who knew for how long.

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Jun 29, 2021 2:15:57 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

she happily absorbed the personal knowledge he was willing to give, imaging various scenarios the young man had encountered thus far. he was experiencing a life that was honing him into a proper soldier; his training sculpting him both mentally, physically and emotionally. it satisfied her to know he was willing to fight - but she also feared he may be lost in a near or distant future. 

'unacceptable,' she thought.

cait struggled to keep a frown from tugging at the corners of her lips, wanting instead to outwardly show her approval. it pained her to know he had been exposed to something so awful yet he didn't allow it to interrupt his stride. she wanted to embrace him with the platonic warmth of a loved one, but held herself back, merely breathing in deeply as she continued to process his words. 

"i've never taken a life either," she said, smiling tentatively. "
i'd honestly rather not."

she paused.

'it was a dream when i wanted to. just a temporary madness.'

"
but after what happened...

cait gave a shrug, visibly indecisive as a far away look briefly crossed over her features. 

"
i'd do anything to protect myself, my pokemon and my fiancée. especially since we're thinking about starting a family."

she paused and gave a light snort.

"
it'd be a bad idea to seriously consider that now."

cait stood to her full height as she stowed the gauntlets into the pack she brought, deciding to delay her personal training in favor of beckoning john toward her home.

"
come with me, darlin'," she said. "i've got quite a few acres of private property from here - and my pokemon are real wary of strangers. if you want easy access, i need to get them acquainted with you."

john would be one of the few humans that could come and go at their leisure, if he was willing to visit on a semi-frequent basis. the help and company would be much appreciated and she trusted he'd keep his promise. she gestured toward her weavile, commanding them to return to their land which was roughly one mile east. 

"
also it looks like you can use a rest as well as a good meal.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2021 14:23:04 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

"Me too." The youth said somberly, brow sinking low as his jaw muscles grew taut.

It was too late for him to protect his family, but he would fight his hardest against Rocket nonetheless. Cold fury could be a motivator on its own.

He snorted along with Cait herself at her words.

"Just gonna have to deal with 'em bastards quickly, huh?" He said with a toothy, grit smirk, his finger joints popping audibly as he squeezed tightly at his knees once again.

His expression melted away as Cait as she stood up, bagging her weapons and delaying the training in favour of inviting him into her home. Curiosity appearing over his face, the youth slapped his hands atop his thighs before leaping to his feet, doing a few experimental stretches with his hips and arms before deciding that he was good to walk.

"Oh, sure! Huh. Sure is lucky I stumbled 'fore I wandered into your home, huh?" He said while scratching his chin, grinning at his... good luck? Yeah, good luck. Any further and he might've been mauled. That would been mortifying for both of them, he would bet.

"Let's not delay yer trainin' much for me though, eh? I wanna help out, not hold ya back." He said with a laugh, scratching at the back of his head. "I definitely could use somethin' to eat though... forgot to breakfast this morning."

Well, that wasn't quite right. He went with the Special. His stomach was doing surprisingly well, considering he had essentially fueled it by dumping battery acid on it.

As they began making their way through the forest towards her homestead, the youth recalled something the woman had said once before, when they saw each other at an Arceus Church- rather, her tone and expression when she had said.

"Say, Ms. Cait. Sorry 'bout the random question but... Why were you against the AQUA Initiative?" He asked innocently, scratching at his chin. He didn't care for AQUA much- he would have made use of the resources it granted if he became an avatar without a second thought, but he didn't have anything for or against it on a personal level.

He was already a dog of the state, after all. His contract with the army still had 5 years on it, and there was no cancelling it.

close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2021 5:59:51 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

"because the people responsible for forming aqua lied to us, john."

she didn't hesitate in her answer, finding it easy enough to share her perspective on the entire deal. her stance on the initiative was publicly known, the woman having rallied to see the idea thoroughly dismantled and tossed aside by way of interviews, social media and word-of-mouth.

"
the league lied about rocket," she said. "they vouched that we need not concern ourselves' that rocket had been completely purged from hoenn. they were foolish enough to believe that the death of silas - may his soul languish in the devil's lair - was enough. on top of that, the army they lead at present lack discipline as well as training. on the battlefield we're an uncoordinated mess. nothing but a bunch of mercenaries with a vague list of orders and no properly pre-established chain-of-command to adhere to."

she allowed herself a moment to breathe, aware that her tone was becoming increasingly harsh. but it wasn't directed at the youth, merely the people and various figureheads who she had been intensely loyal to for over several years.

"
and now it's obvious they want an army of those chosen by the gods themselves to fix their mistakes. they had the audacity to call upon both my fiancée and i whilst threatening us both with legal repercussions if we didn't participate in the initial meeting. they should be funneling their resources toward training the people they already have - not trying to convince the gods to bend a knee."

she crossed an invisible property line, the land becoming increasingly familiar as she led him down a slim dirt road. an aipom and vigoroth could almost immediately be seen, the limber beasts perched upon the tree branches. they merely watched as their mistress and the young lad passed them by, appearing to share a single ripened berry between them.

"
you're contracted, aren't you? how long?"