awards
2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
the miles i tread for you
POSTED ON Apr 4, 2024 4:06:48 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar

scrapes and bruises and a rattled psyche, but she's in far better condition than he's used to seeing her. matias' taunts on the pitch make her second-guess coming here, but she's no reason to be tailed. fernando is busy with other endeavors. and she's earned trust, countless times, with the league. 

still, she dons a hood and takes care, slinking in after dark when nameless is crowded. 

he's at the bar and some of her stress lines melt away when she sees him. even if her lips twist churlishly. first and foremost, she's here to chew him out. and she plans on doing so as she pulls up a seat in front of him.

"you're ceaselessly frustrating, you know that?"
close tab

played by

snubis

Wayland
He/Him
Twenty-Eight
March Twenty-First
Vermillion City
Heterosexual
League Turncoat
Eh
Should I bite my tongue, until blood soaks my shirt?
awards
1,384 posts
KING WAYLAND DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @king
KING WAYLAND
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2024 1:04:49 GMT
KING WAYLAND Avatar
[attr="class","postruinsbg"]

[attr="class","postruinstxt"]
[attr="class","postruinsicon"]
King levels a placid stare at the hooded Councilwoman. Silence lingers in the space between them. Until it doesn't.

"Hello ta ye taa."

In the midst of cleaning a glass — an act as common as it was a cliche — he places it down and instead lifts up a bottle of Whiskey.

Bottom shelf and bitter. What better for these two?

"A drink?"

[newclass=.postruinsbg]width: 715px; height: 436px; clip-path: polygon(0 0, 680px 0, 680px 105px, 100% 105px, 100% 100%, 0 100%); position:absolute; margin-top:-30px; margin-left:-30px; pointer-events: none;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinstxt]margin:-40px 85px -40px 115px; position: relative; z-index: 2; padding: 30px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinstxt b]text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; color: #80daeb;[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinsicon] margin: 2px 18px 7px 1px; border: 1px solid #aaa; border-radius:3px; overflow: hidden; float: left; background-color: #303030; background-size: contain;[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinstxt blockquote]border:1px solid #aaa; background:transparent; margin: 0px; padding: 10px; font-size: 8px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinstxt blockquote b]color:#aaa;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinstxt .vdice-box]background: transparent; border: 1px solid #aaa; border-radius:3px; margin-bottom:-12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinstxt .vdice-value]border:none;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinstxt] font:12.5px Roboto Condensed; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;margin:0 auto; width:55%; margin-bottom:-120px;[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinnote]border-width: 6px 6px 6px 6px;border-style:solid;border-radius:10%;border-image: url('https://i.imgur.com/IxR9pR1.png') 6 6 6 6 repeat repeat;padding:6px 8px;background:#aaa;color:#232323;text-align:justify;font:11px Calibri;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinstxt .audiojs]background: transparent; color:#aaa; border:1px solid #aaa; margin-bottom:-12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinstxt .audiojs .progress]background: #aaa;[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinspkmn]width:365px; display:flex; justify-content:center; align-items:center; margin-bottom: 20px; margin-left:145px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinspkmn img]opacity:0.8;filter: grayscale(100%); transition-timing-function: ease-in-out; transition-duration: 0.5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinspkmn img:hover]opacity:0.8;filter: grayscale(0%); transition-timing-function: ease-in-out; transition-duration: 0.5s;[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinsbg]background:url('https://i.imgur.com/2BdJS3Z.png');[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinsart]text-align:center; margin-bottom:-12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinsart img]height:100px; width: 363px; object-fit:cover; border:1px solid #aaa; border-radius:5px; position:relative; z-index:1; filter:grayscale(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinsartdrk]height:100px; width: 363px; border-radius:5px; background:#303030; margin-left:1px; margin-top:-104px; position:relative; z-index:2; mix-blend-mode: lighten;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinsartlght]height:100px; width: 363px; border-radius:5px; background:#aaa; margin-left:1px; margin-top:-100px; position:relative; z-index:2; mix-blend-mode: darken;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
i got new love, new skin to wrap myself in
awards
2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2024 1:46:44 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar

he regards her, considers, and she leans foward just a bit, elbows on the bar. her fingers lace together. her head tilts and the corner of her lips tilt in a smile when he invites her to stay - not in so many words, of course.

she nods.

"i don't want to interrogate you," she starts instead of the burning dozen questions that are hot on her tongue. "but you could have complicated everything. and that is very annoying."
close tab

played by

snubis

Wayland
He/Him
Twenty-Eight
March Twenty-First
Vermillion City
Heterosexual
League Turncoat
Eh
awards
1,384 posts
KING WAYLAND DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @king
KING WAYLAND
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2024 2:09:42 GMT
KING WAYLAND Avatar

He'd been expecting Freya ever since that day with and . Resistance would've been futile.

After all — what fool would tell a dragon no?

"Very annoying." King intones as he pours the two of them a drink.

He refrains from chuckling entirely, only pushing a single burst of air from his nose.

"Worked out alright didn't it? Even Matias's ex behaved 'erself. Win-Win."

Beneath a coy smile he slides her half-full glass just far enough for her to reach.

[newclass=.postruinsbg]width: 715px; height: 436px; clip-path: polygon(0 0, 680px 0, 680px 105px, 100% 105px, 100% 100%, 0 100%); position:absolute; margin-top:-30px; margin-left:-30px; pointer-events: none;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinstxt]margin:-40px 85px -40px 115px; position: relative; z-index: 2; padding: 30px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinstxt b]text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold; color: #80daeb;[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinsicon] margin: 2px 18px 7px 1px; border: 1px solid #aaa; border-radius:3px; overflow: hidden; float: left; background-color: #303030; background-size: contain;[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinstxt blockquote]border:1px solid #aaa; background:transparent; margin: 0px; padding: 10px; font-size: 8px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinstxt .vdice-box]background: transparent; border: 1px solid #aaa; border-radius:3px; margin-bottom:-12px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinstxt] font:12.5px Roboto Condensed; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;margin:0 auto; width:55%; margin-bottom:-120px;[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinnote]border-width: 6px 6px 6px 6px;border-style:solid;border-radius:10%;border-image: url('https://i.imgur.com/IxR9pR1.png') 6 6 6 6 repeat repeat;padding:6px 8px;background:#aaa;color:#232323;text-align:justify;font:11px Calibri;letter-spacing:1px;[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinstxt .audiojs]background: transparent; color:#aaa; border:1px solid #aaa; margin-bottom:-12px;[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinspkmn]width:365px; display:flex; justify-content:center; align-items:center; margin-bottom: 20px; margin-left:145px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinspkmn img]opacity:0.8;filter: grayscale(100%); transition-timing-function: ease-in-out; transition-duration: 0.5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinspkmn img:hover]opacity:0.8;filter: grayscale(0%); transition-timing-function: ease-in-out; transition-duration: 0.5s;[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinsbg]background:url('https://i.imgur.com/2BdJS3Z.png');[/newclass]

[newclass=.postruinsart img]height:100px; width: 363px; object-fit:cover; border:1px solid #aaa; border-radius:5px; position:relative; z-index:1; filter:grayscale(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinsartdrk]height:100px; width: 363px; border-radius:5px; background:#303030; margin-left:1px; margin-top:-104px; position:relative; z-index:2; mix-blend-mode: lighten;[/newclass]
[newclass=.postruinsartlght]height:100px; width: 363px; border-radius:5px; background:#aaa; margin-left:1px; margin-top:-100px; position:relative; z-index:2; mix-blend-mode: darken;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2024 2:29:13 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar

playful banter or not, she feels unremarkably silly as she digs her heels into the bar stool crossbar and stretches forward to curl her finger around the rim of the tumbler. even if nothing's broken, her muscles remind her of all her little aches and pains as she hmphs back into her seat, prize obtained. 

a roll of her eyes as he mocks her, a tucking of every finger save for her middle as she thumbs the glass to her lips, and the cheap whiskey burns down nicely. 

"you know her name," she snaps at once, leaping in defense of her partner. no, friend. because this eva was never yours. this eva will never be yours. her gaze darts away. memories not of her other self, but of this one - her own flesh and blood - with her mouth pressed against eva's in messy urgency resurfaces. 

"i left you with the book of my memories. you know what she did for you. me. us." even if he doesn't remember living it. "unlike you, she doesn't know what happened at all. she only remembers what you did."
close tab

played by

snubis

Wayland
He/Him
Twenty-Eight
March Twenty-First
Vermillion City
Heterosexual
League Turncoat
Eh
awards
1,384 posts
KING WAYLAND DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @king
KING WAYLAND
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2024 2:44:11 GMT
KING WAYLAND Avatar

Unlike all other times before, he doesn't rise to her provocations.

For the first time in his life King takes the high-road. He finds the air up there to be thinner than he was used to.

"I'm sure yer as tired of arguin' with one another as I am." He raises an eyebrow as the whiskey bites back.

King wets his lips as he lowers the glass.

"'Sides I'm sure ye don't want ta spoil ye gift, do ye?"

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2024 3:19:16 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar

a witty remark. a reminder that eva still stands up for matias (which, quite frankly, freya sides with king on that point) despite all he's done. anything, something like that, is what freya expects, and when it doesn't, she almost thinks she misheard him. 

"i am."

she releases the breath she'd been holding, allows the thoughts and defenses that were spinning up to flutter away. and then she throws back the whiskey and leans in. 

"a gift?" she repeats. and then she straightens, almost alarmed. "your birthday! it was last week." when they were down there. when she was off handling resource gathering teams. when she wasn't here.

"i'm - i can't believe i missed it." and he missed hers, but that's besides the point. 
close tab

played by

snubis

Wayland
He/Him
Twenty-Eight
March Twenty-First
Vermillion City
Heterosexual
League Turncoat
Eh
awards
1,384 posts
KING WAYLAND DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @king
KING WAYLAND
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2024 13:08:23 GMT
KING WAYLAND Avatar

Her realization sparks one of his own. Eyes widening a fraction, he leaves the edge of the glass to rest against his bottom lip.

Without pretense he barks out a laugh, nearly spilling the whiskey in the process.

"Well, what'ye know? I s'pose it was. Forgot all about it myself."

He raises his glass, clearly not as bothered as she was about this.

"Ta being twanty-seven." A pause. "Er, wait, was it twanty-eight?" Maybe twenty-nine?

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2024 21:14:07 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar

he doesn't seem to care, which doesn't surprise her. the wayland household never seemed too big on big birthday parties when he was growing up and becoming a turncoat probably meant most of your friends didn't want to take you out for drinks to celebrate. 

soon. i'll do something for him soon, she thinks, nudging her empty glass closer to him for another pour so they can clink. 

"to getting older," she says simply. a feat many of their peers can't boast. white names on gravestones - casualties of war and relentless states of emergency. 

"do you remember the cake you baked for me?" she says with a smile, a pang of longing. "a ferocious and delicious cake? you even did the icing yourself."
close tab

played by

snubis

Wayland
He/Him
Twenty-Eight
March Twenty-First
Vermillion City
Heterosexual
League Turncoat
Eh
awards
1,384 posts
KING WAYLAND DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @king
KING WAYLAND
POSTED ON Apr 6, 2024 4:38:51 GMT
KING WAYLAND Avatar

She brings him back to a relatively uncomplicated time; a rarity in King's life.

"I do." He was a surprisingly good baker, even if the process had been an incredibly pain in the ass.

"I hope yer not expectin' me ta make my own cake."

He raises an eyebrow, teasing. Mostly.

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
POSTED ON Apr 6, 2024 5:11:55 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar

"of course not," she says. she's not a baker herself. she's a mediocre cook at best, but baking? that's beyond her. maybe she and delta could at the very least follow the instructions on the back of a box though. if he'll let her see her. 

her heart aches. 

she almost says, let me take you to dinner, but then she remembers herself. remembers them. back then, when she was still forgotten in the public eye, they'd gone to lunch. they were still careful, but now? there's no way they could.

"but we'll do something for you. so what is my gift?"
close tab

played by

snubis

Wayland
He/Him
Twenty-Eight
March Twenty-First
Vermillion City
Heterosexual
League Turncoat
Eh
awards
1,384 posts
KING WAYLAND DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @king
KING WAYLAND
POSTED ON Apr 11, 2024 2:55:40 GMT
KING WAYLAND Avatar

He knew Freya wouldn't last long lingering in the unknown and his lips quirk up into an amused grin.

"It's upstairs." Drying his hands on a spare towel he tosses the rag in the face of a sleeping drunk at the bar. "Vick yer in charge."

As they approach the elevator he instead takes a detour, moving towards the stairs instead.

"Elevators down."

It wasn't. But, the last time they'd been alone in one of those he came out with more than the taste of cheap booze on his lips.

After a pain-staking climb, King opens the door and steps in first.

"Oi, get down from there. Yer gonna break yer neck."

In the living room was a long-necked creature with golden fur and black stripes and, hanging from its neck upside down, was none other than Delta. She begins to pout at her father's chastising but, when she spots Freya, her smile widens.

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
POSTED ON Apr 11, 2024 4:51:47 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar

he doesn't leave her in suspense. when she follows after him, she tugs on the edges of her hood, shoulders drawn. the regulars recognize her though. the ones sober enough to see past the shadows on her face.

in the stairwell, she raises a brow, but doesn't comment. by the time they get to the top, she's drawn the hood down and tugged her hair out. the braids are newly spun, kempt and shining. taking care of herself hasn't felt impossible since their reconciliation.

upon seeing the sauropod, she instinctially reaches for a ball at her hip, but the creature does not act aggressively. unlike gouging fire and walking wake, she hadn't managed to see a raging bolt up close, nevermind catch one. but once the initial shock is gone, joy tumbles out of her, breath stolen.

and it's not because of the dragon. it's a thoughtful gift, but this one means more. seeing her means more.

it hits her, in that moment, and it hits her hard. that little girl, with king's eyes and king's smile, looks at her and she thinks, i could have lost you because of my choices. her throat thickens and she covers up her inability to talk by skirting to the bolt's side, laying a hand on its hide.
close tab

played by

snubis

Wayland
He/Him
Twenty-Eight
March Twenty-First
Vermillion City
Heterosexual
League Turncoat
Eh
awards
1,384 posts
KING WAYLAND DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @king
KING WAYLAND
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2024 1:16:57 GMT
KING WAYLAND Avatar

The sauropods long neck cranes and twists, burdened by the weight of a small girl, to come face-to-face with Freya. Electricity sparks across the whiskers like an ever so subtle dance.

Delta, on its neck, slowly works her way down the Paradox Pokemon's neck until she lands with an unf on its back. She stands, still smiling, still as stubborn as ever to not speak, and holds her arms open for the Councilwoman.

Behind them both, King smiles.

"Found it in the Chasm and heard it's part dragon. Figured, eh, not really my type. Thought about givin' it to Delta 'ere, but she's a bit ta young fer somethin' like this. 'Sides, I'm holdin' out fer 'er ta be a fightin' type specialist like me."

He still had hope.

"Anyways, it's yers if ye want it."

close tab

played by

crow

dragoness
she/her
twenty-seven
November 03
sootopolis
demisexual
councilwoman
ace
awards
2,627 posts
part of
TAG WITH @freya
freya morningstar
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2024 2:34:52 GMT
freya morningstar Avatar

she thought this much wouldn't have changed. in the bar, over shittier whiskey than what's still on her tongue, she'd promised him her stint in slateport was an accident. she'd said she hadn't wanted to come around and he'd said it was for the better.

better for delta that she weren't around. 

her arms open and there is no hesitation, not even a flicker to king to make sure this is okay, because she has missed her so dearly. she hugs her around her sides and squeezes her until she hears an oof and then she takes her hand and she presses it to the dragon's side.

rough fur scrapes under the pads of her fingers. "nah, she's got too much fire in her." she lifts her gaze. "but maybe we give you a jangmo-o. i'll have some soon. it's breeding season and the draciary's - well, we can talk about that later. can i show you something, delta?

"we've started to call them raging bolts, but that's our tongue."
 the raikou-adjacent paradox turns its head, feathered frills on its head flattening as it listens. and when she whispers, "korinthir bluthel," its head snaps around, pupils narrowing until they're thin as slits. 

its maw opens, fangs exposed, and a serpentine tongue flicks out to graze freya's chin. she trails her fingertips down its front and it goes cross-eyed, relaxing. her lips quirk. 
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights