orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
i'll wreck this if i have to; tell me, what good would that do?
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
breakfast club [c]
POSTED ON Nov 18, 2019 11:55:11 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
[attr="class","orion"]

tag
notes
just casually slipping that shady deal prompt in >)

Orion's incredibly nervous as he leads the way through the panicked city to his home.

Here's the thing: he almost never has guests. He's awkward, a loner, and his Pokemon are the only thing that bring any sort of life to the humble abode. And yet as he leads Annie inside and flicks on the lights, it's to reveal a fairly neat and organized space. There are signs that it's lived in — he'd left his coffee mug on the table, his jacket hangs over the back of the couch, the television is switched on to the HNN — but it's overall prepared for the visitors he never expects to get.

A ghostly, excited chirp precedes the arrival of his Litwick, the phantom candle hovering close in greeting. His flame is unlit.

"Oh, uh, don't mind Phantom," he says by way of introduction, gesturing to the lonely-natured Pokemon. "He just doesn't like to be left at home, but he's not one for fire-fighting."

He steps to the side to allow Annie access to his space, feeling incredibly self-conscious. Hints at his personality hang upon the walls in the form of Pokemon posters. One is comprised entirely of ghost-types, with an Aegislash as its centerpiece. The sword and shield Pokemon is surrounded by many of Orion's favourites, including the Chandelure he hoped Phantom would become.

"Any preference on food?" he asks, mostly to fill the silence. "Pretty sure I've got most of the essentials. Eggs, cereal, pancake mix, y'know."

[attr="class","wizzcred"]❤ wizz

[newclass=".orion"] [/newclass]
[newclass=".orion b"]color:#9e76b1; [/newclass]
[newclass=".orion i"]font-style:italic; [/newclass]
[newclass=".orion a"]text-transform:uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Kyoukon

Annie!
She/Her
Employee at the Stray
Cadet
189 height
189 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
639 posts
Annie Mei DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyoukon
Annie Mei
breakfast club [c]
POSTED ON Nov 18, 2019 20:17:20 GMT
Annie Mei Avatar
[attr="class","anniepost"]
Tagging:
Annie followed suit, carrying everything to her name on her person. Thanks to their efforts, the fire hadn’t reached her gear, and it’d been far enough away to avoid the rain entirely. She’d mentioned a few times how happy she was not to have to drag a waterlogged sleeping bag around, among other things. Many, many other things. It’d been a while since she’d had a captive human audience, and that meant that he got to hear a lot of happy hot air.

“Fortuna did great! She’s not much of a fighter, but man, we would’ve been lost without her…”
“How did you get a whole house to yourself? Do you have to climb a tree to get to it?”
“Hey, how much is a phone these days anyways?”
“What do rangers do, anyway? Are you guys like the super-police?”
“Why were you awake that early, anyway? If it was up to me I’d sleep until twelve!”
“How do water Pokemon float like that, anyway? Do the Pokeballs do that?”

Whether or not he answered didn’t matter, and he’d likely quickly realise as much. She’d keep talking for most of their journey (occasionally interrupted by her rumbling stomach) until they stepped into his quarters. It was tidy. Uniform. “Feels like a house you’d see on TV,” she mused. Annie barely looked like she belonged, with her baggy clothes that were likely the wrong size and half a bedhead from her rude awakening.

Before he could even introduce his Litwick, the girl was off, rushing over to stand beside him. “Ooooo, he’s so cute! Hello there, little guy! Don’t worry, Annie’s going to find you some friends. We can have him play with one of my guys, right? Then he won’t be so lonely.” Her trembling fists struggled with the need to respect a Pokemon’s personal space, and her need to pet anything adorable. “Anyway, later, later! Oh, is that a poster? So you’re, like, a spooky-type trainer, right? Huh?” She turned back to him, having successfully forgotten that she was hungry, and that they were there for food. Her eyes transitioned from overjoyed to mildly confused. “Er… I usually don’t get to choose.” Beyond what to steal, anyway. “Can we make pancakes? Oh man, I haven’t had pancakes in months! Can Pokemon eat pancakes? I’d have to save a bit for the guys. Just a little treat for working so hard, and to break up the usual meals, you know?”

[attr="class","wizzcred"]
wizz

[newclass=".anniepost"]margin-top:25px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".anniepost b"]font-weight:lighter;color:#cb4335; [/newclass]
[newclass=".anniepost i"]font-style:italic;color:#cb4335; [/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
breakfast club [c]
POSTED ON Nov 18, 2019 21:14:17 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
[attr="class","orion"]

tag
notes
HA i love annie so much, orion doesn't know what to do with her

Annie talks. She talks a lot.

Her rambling nature, Orion learns, was not simply a result of disaster and panic. No, as he leads the way through Fortree to his humble abode, he finds himself fielding a veritable army of questions from the girl. He's flustered at first, uncertain of what to do, but he quickly falls into a routine of assuaging her curiosities as best he can, with things such as:

"... I bought it? And no, there's a bridge network in the city that leads to all of the houses."

"Honestly, I don't know, it — it's been a while since I bought a new phone."

"We're not really police, more like we bridge the gap between people and Pokemon and work on keeping the peace, fighting fires, picking up trash on the beach... a lot of stuff, really. It varies."

"Katas woke me up. Absol can sense disasters."

"I... I don't know, actually, good question—"

He's going to have a sore throat tomorrow, he thinks. He usually tries to keep conversations to a minimum, but he's also trying really hard not to be rude, and so he's spoken more in the short amount of time it takes to reach his house than he feels he had in ages. At the very least, he's feeling a lot less uncomfortable with the conversation itself by the time they get inside.

She seems more enamored than intimidated by his Litwick, which further warms him to her company. He laughs when she mentions the poster. "I guess you could say that," he agrees with a shrug. "I like to give the ones no one else seems to like a chance."

Annie seems delighted by the idea of pancakes, so he leads the way into his quaint kitchen. Wooden floors and wooden walls seem like a fire hazard, but the slight sheen to the wood hints at the fact that they've been treated to withstand the heat. "Katas has eaten my pancake batter before, raw, and nothing bad's happened to him," Orion shrugs, and Katas chirps his amusement, "... so I think so?" He starts pulling out all of the essentials: a carton of eggs, a box of pancake mix, the jug of MooMoo Milk he'd only just bought. He checks the expiry date just in case, nods when he finds it acceptable. "We can make extra so that your Pokemon can have some too."

close tab

played by

Kyoukon

Annie!
She/Her
Employee at the Stray
Cadet
189 height
189 height
awards
639 posts
Annie Mei DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyoukon
Annie Mei
breakfast club [c]
POSTED ON Nov 20, 2019 18:03:51 GMT
Annie Mei Avatar
Tagging:
“Ah, right… So you’re like an orphanage for Pokemon.” Annie paused. Frowned. One of the downsides of running one’s mouth was that words tended to spill out without much thought. Words that said a lot about the way she saw the world. Things that near-strangers didn’t really need to know. “…Not that that’s a bad thing! Everybody deserves a chance, and it sucks that some people or Pokemon get written off just because something’s a little wonky with them.” I don’t see anything wrong with you, by the way.” Her eyes shifted back to Phantom, and her voice shifted into a tone otherwise reserved for babies. “You’re just a perfect little melty boy.” If he didn’t shy away, the girl would dare to give him a little pat atop his head as they left the room.

Into the kitchen – a room Annie realised she hadn’t seen in weeks. Hostels, shacks, restaurants and clearings in the forest weren’t known for their stellar food rooms. With that in mind, it wasn’t too surprising that the girl seemed fascinated by the treated wood, or the shiny stove, or the microwave or the pantry. “…You keep this place clean! I’m impressed.” Bold words, considering the state that she was in, but she wouldn’t leave him much time to comment on it. “Oh, can we? Please? If you have enough, I mean. They deserve something nice too and all… And so do yours! Team Oreo was like a well-oiled machine! The way your Katas knew who could help before you did, and your, er… two-tailed purple dude brought the rain out! My everything was wet for a while there, but it was super helpful for putting out the fire!”
wizz

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
breakfast club [c]
POSTED ON Nov 20, 2019 19:07:39 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
[attr="class","orion"]

tag
notes

Orion nods, finding her description quite fitting. She seems to second-guess it herself, however, and he blinks as she tries to reassure him. "I don't take offense," he assures her. "You're right, really. I take in the Pokemon that might not be able to find homes otherwise."

His Litwick was a prime example of this. The fact that the little ghost-candle could suck the life energy out of a person was a perfectly good reason that many trainers gave it a pass, but Orion was knowledgeable enough on the species to know that it was only a threat when its flame was lit. He didn't think Phantom had ever tried to steal his soul, or whatever it was they did. He had a lonely nature, perhaps identifying with Orion because of this; he just wanted a home.

So when Annie croons over him, Phantom makes an excited little chirp, and Orion smiles.

The girl's enthusiasm is infectious. "Katas is really smart," the ranger says fondly, glancing at the Absol who'd sat himself in the kitchen's entryway to watch. "Delphi, too — she's the Espeon, the purple one with the tails you mentioned." They'd been with him a long time. He'd barely left home when the Absol found him. "But yeah, of course we can. I'll pull out a second pan..." It would be easier to multitask that way. He passes another pan and a bowl up onto the counter, gesturing to the carton of eggs. "Mind helping me crack those while I set up the stove?"

close tab

played by

Kyoukon

Annie!
She/Her
Employee at the Stray
Cadet
189 height
189 height
awards
639 posts
Annie Mei DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyoukon
Annie Mei
breakfast club [c]
POSTED ON Nov 21, 2019 22:04:53 GMT
Annie Mei Avatar
OOC: Tagging
“Then you must be doing a good job, right?” She looked to the Absol for agreement. “I don’t know, I’m pretty new to this… But if your guys are clever, and they want to help you, and they’re like your friends, then you must be doing something right! That’s what they say on the TV, anyway.” Which was where the majority of her trainer knowledge came from, for better or worse. “And if not… Well, at least they like you!”

Eggs. Finally, her time to shine. She marches up to the stove. “Of course! Fortunately for you, I’m a master at cracking eggs!” It was, perhaps, the only ingredient she knew how to use well, if only by painful trial and error. “My Fortuna, she lays the best eggs, and we end up eating them with something most nights.” Not out of choice. “Don’t tell her that I said it, because don’t get me wrong, they’re great, but anything starts to taste a bit dull when you’ve had it five days in a row.”

True to her claims (this time), two taps opened two eggs into the bowl he’d provided. “Just let me know when we’re good!” And if her general demeanour was a warning, she’d empty out the whole carton without guidance.
wizz

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
breakfast club [c]
POSTED ON Nov 21, 2019 22:35:35 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
[attr="class","orion"]

tag
notes

As Annie looks to him for confirmation, Katas makes a contented noise in his throat. Orion thinks he understands the intention.

He huffs in amusement at Annie's closing statement. "At least they like me," he agrees, a smile curling his lips. He casts Katas a fond look. The Absol remains in the doorway, forbidden from entering the kitchen itself when anyone was cooking so that his fur didn't get in all of the food. It was beautiful and well-groomed, but that didn't mean Orion wanted to eat it. He glances over at Annie. "But, thank you. I might not be new to this, but Arceus knows I'm winging it."

Annie, apparently, is not winging it when it comes to eggs. He watches as she cracks two eggs into the bowl, nods when she asks him to give her any indication to stop, then continues to watch her empty the rest of the carton.

He's getting the feeling that she hasn't had a good, satisfying meal in a while — maybe she spends a lot of time camping, maybe there's another reason — and he's more than willing to sacrifice his supply of eggs for the week to reward the girl and her Pokemon for their assistance in fighting the fires.

It's not long before he's balancing two pans full of pancake batter, sliding them into two not-so-neat stacks on the plates he'd set out. Katas is watching his every move like he's under the influence of captivate, and Orion smirks before tossing him the top 'cake from the stack.

"There's butter and syrup on the counter," he says, gesturing to where he'd laid them out. "They're pretty good with honey, too, if you've never tried it. I got a jar of Combee honey as a gift from a job I was on."

close tab

played by

Kyoukon

Annie!
She/Her
Employee at the Stray
Cadet
189 height
189 height
awards
639 posts
Annie Mei DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyoukon
Annie Mei
breakfast club [c]
POSTED ON Nov 21, 2019 23:19:20 GMT
Annie Mei Avatar
OOC: Tagging
Annie, on the other hand was only partially successful at playing it cool. Her eyes barely left the stack once it was off the pain, but who could blame her? The smell and the sight were an attack of multiple fronts, and when she’d gone weeks without a hot breakfast… She was vulnerable. And vibrating? Just a little.

They even had toppings! She’d completely forgotten about those, and would have eaten them dry without a second thought, but this was the icing on the cake. “Thank you, thank you!” She’d walking up and down the kitchen, if only to do something with the energy. Even then, the spring in her step made it hard to miss her joy. “You know, this almost makes up for almost getting burned to death! It might even balance it out! Getting to meet a whole Ranger, and his treehouse in Treehouse Town and there’s syrup and hon-“

She paused. Gift, he’d said. As in it was special. She quickly shook her head, and her smile fled the scene. “Wait, no. That’s a gift. I can’t take that, that’s for you.” Her brow furrowed. When she stopped to think about it, the whole situation was weird. Almost as weird as her sudden shift. Her gaze flickered between the food and the Ranger. “Why are you doing this, anyway? You didn’t have to offer anything, but… you did.” People didn’t just do that – not in her world. Half the time, kindness came with strings attached.
wizz

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
breakfast club [c]
POSTED ON Nov 22, 2019 0:42:54 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
[attr="class","anotheronedark"]

tag
notes

Orion's listening to her excited ramble with a quiet smile when the mood in the room suddenly shifts, like a curtain's drawn back.

His own smile fades as hers did, and he responds to the question with a confused look of his own. It almost felt like a test, the way she said those words, and he finds himself wondering if there's any right answer. He settles on the truth.

"It's like you said, it was going to be hard finding anywhere serving breakfast with the fires." He gestures vaguely toward the window, where the distant haze of smoke can still be spotted on the horizon. No fire, now. He trusts his fellow rangers have it handled. "And you did more than your part helping put them out. You didn't have to do that." He offers a level stare. "But you did."

It was something he admired in her, that steadfast determination to help even if it meant putting oneself in danger. It reminded him of how he might have been in youth, had his childhood gone differently. Of how he was now.

He shrugs. "I live alone, I've got the food. It seemed the least I could do as thanks."

[newclass=".charactername"] [/newclass]
[newclass=".charactername b"]color:#A490FF; font-weight:lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=".charactername i"]color:#A490FF; font-style:italic; [/newclass]
[newclass=".charactername a"]text-transform:uppercase; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Kyoukon

Annie!
She/Her
Employee at the Stray
Cadet
189 height
189 height
awards
639 posts
Annie Mei DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyoukon
Annie Mei
breakfast club [c]
POSTED ON Nov 22, 2019 16:48:46 GMT
Annie Mei Avatar
Tagging:
Careful eyes wait for an answer, and to see what his might show. Not much hesitation – at least, not much more than the man had shown thus far. He wasn’t fumbling with his words, or stalling while he thought of some. He’d given her no reason to think that he was being dishonest, and yet…

The girl closed her eyes. Nodded. Put on a small smile. “It was nothing,” she said, but quieter than before. She found her voice soon enough, meeting his gaze soon enough. “Sorry, Oreo. That sounded pretty bad. It’s just… not every day that a guy that you just met invites you home, just to eat their food. But it’s nice! Really nice, don’t get me wrong. Just different.” Her smile grew, back into a toothy grin. “That just means that you’re special! Oreo, the first man to invite me into his home!” She giggled, taking a half-step towards the pancakes. She knew it was polite to at least wait for her host, but as her growling stomach was eager to remind her, it’d been a while since she’d eaten.

“A fire’s terrible when it’s out of control. You say I didn’t have to do that, but what else could I have done? Leave? Would you have left?” She wasn’t looking at them, but her hand was hovering over the stack. “Not when people could’ve gotten hurt. Heck, if you hadn’t said your friends were coming to help, me and Fortuna could’ve stayed to see if everybody was okay. She’s not the best fighter, but she’s one of the best healers I’ve ever met! Not that I’ve met a lot of healers, but still, she’s great!” Just like that, she was back in her swing. A brief look of surprise, and she reached to relieve herself of her backpack. Better late than never. “But enough about my guys! Tell me about your Ranger business! I’ve never had a chance to sit down with a real officer guy.” She’d run from a few, but those were stories he didn’t need to hear.
wizz

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
breakfast club [c]
POSTED ON Nov 22, 2019 22:49:35 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
notes
don't mind this socially anxious mess

It hadn't seemed like nothing. This was exactly why he stayed away from people, why he never had guests, why he didn't have friends

He forces down his rising anxiety as she apologises. He's tense but doing his best to hide it, ignoring the way his throat feels like its closing up and there's a heat that spreads through him and flushes his neck. He can't handle confrontation, let alone handle it well.

"It's — it's OK," he says, stilted and awkward, but Annie's smiling again and he manages to smile back. He's breathing again, slow and careful. "Sorry. I thought — I dunno, I thought you were upset or something." He laughs, and while it's strained it manages to sap some of the tension out of the air. "But I'll take 'special.'"

The way she says it, it feels like a good thing. Not "Oh, that's Orion, he's a real... special case," but special as in one-of-a-kind. Worth something.

He shakes his head. "No. No, I wouldn't have left. But it would have been my job to be there even if Katas hadn't woken me up before the call to action." Had he not texted them first, he's sure the local ranger station would have sent a message to him. "It's just that most people would run from a blazing fire if they weren't obligated to stick around. You're different. Guess that makes you special, too." He laughs, then notices the way she's flirting with the pancakes as if she's not sure whether or not they're safe to eat. He waves a hand. "Oh — go ahead! Speaking of sitting, we can totally do that."

He flops down in a dining chair, one in a set of four grouped around a matching table. Four chairs was a lot for a man who lived on his own without frequent company, further serving to outline his desire to change.

That, and they'd came as a set.

"Being a ranger's not usually as, uh, exciting as fire-fighting," he starts after a pause to munch on some pancake, "even if that's the stuff they like to show on TV. Sometimes it's clearing cave-ins or picking up trash on the beach so that the wild Pokemon don't wind up getting sick. Sometimes the stronger rangers'll go on raids to fight off the worst of the worst, but I haven't been a part of those yet." They're intimidating as hell, but he craves the opportunity to prove himself someday. "I mostly focus on keeping the wild Pokemon safe and doing the occasional job they send me."

close tab

played by

Kyoukon

Annie!
She/Her
Employee at the Stray
Cadet
189 height
189 height
awards
639 posts
Annie Mei DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyoukon
Annie Mei
breakfast club [c]
POSTED ON Nov 23, 2019 23:43:02 GMT
Annie Mei Avatar
Tagging:
Somebody please help him
For a moment, he was the odd one, and she started to worry that she’d offended him - a surprisingly common consequence of speaking one’s mind. Fortunately, her fears were put to rest, for he recovered as quickly as she had. He even called her special! “Aw shucks, I said it was nothing!” She pauses for half a second. Her smile grows, more on one side than the other. “But I can live with being special. Just means that I’m doing something right. Nobody remembers normal people.”

With that, she’d finally been cleared to dine! She carries a stack of pancakes with them to the table, plopping himself in one of his chairs shortly after. Her first priority is getting some food in her mouth. If there was cutlery within arm’s reach, she’d use it, but she wasn’t above eating like a savage if it stopped her stomach grumbling. She started replying with a mouth half-full of glorious, hot breakfast before she remembers her manners and gives herself a few more seconds. “I wouldn’t know. Where I came from, we didn’t see much of Hoenn’s unless there was big trouble, and even then… I’m not much of a news person, you know?” They cut into valuable cartoon time, when she could even get to a TV. “Besides, a place like Kanto kinda has its own problems to report on.” Hers was a bittersweet tone, but she wouldn’t let it keep her down for long. She continues as she reaches for the syrup, dotting a pancake with small globs of sugary goodness.

“Sounds stressful, though. And tiring. Even if it’s not so flashy, it’s still a job, right? And not an easy one from the sounds of it. So you know what I have to ask, right?” By the time she remembered that it was rude to point a utensil at her host, she’d already committed to the act! “Why do you do it? Like you said, most people don’t bother but you didn’t just step up. You made it your day job. You must’ve had a good reason for that, right?"
wizz

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
breakfast club [c]
POSTED ON Nov 24, 2019 21:42:24 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
notes
orion used struggle

His expression softens with sympathy when she mentions Kanto; unlike Annie, Orion did keep up with the news, and it was hard to avoid hearing about the troubles in the nearby region. Plenty of refugees had fled to Hoenn after the Rocket invasion. He wonders if Annie was one such refugee, but thinks better than to ask. She would have been so young. It was years ago, now, and she was only a teenager. He can't imagine what it would be like to go through that at such an age.

His childhood had been a battleground of a different sort, a war between prejudice and opinion that had not ended well.

He's relieved by the shift in subject, albeit raising his eyebrows as Annie levels a fork at him.

'You must've had a good reason, right?'

An innocent question that's like ice in his veins, his expression carefully neutral as the battleground of his thoughts erupts into war. He'd had several reasons, in truth, and not all of them were so noble. Flustered, awkward youth who was bound to amount to nothing, disappointment to the family name, disgrace — he'd never make anything of himself, that much was obvious, so why bother encouraging him at all?

"I had reasons, sure,"
he shrugs, like he's not undergoing mental gymnastics to combat his own anxieties. He stuffs another bite of pancakes into his mouth as an excuse to gather his thoughts. "Same as anyone who pursues their dream job. I wanted to keep people and Pokemon safe. More importantly, I wanted to give the underappreciated Pokemon a chance." He glances at Katas, his gaze softening. They deserved a chance where he'd never been given one. "We do good work together, and people learn to trust the Pokemon that help protect them. It helps them get over their fears."

close tab

played by

Kyoukon

Annie!
She/Her
Employee at the Stray
Cadet
189 height
189 height
awards
639 posts
Annie Mei DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyoukon
Annie Mei
breakfast club [c]
POSTED ON Nov 25, 2019 22:33:55 GMT
Annie Mei Avatar
Tagging:
Annie caught sympathy in the man’s eyes, and returned it with a small smile – a bittersweet one. Most people knew what a young, lone traveller from Kanto meant, but she wouldn’t let its effects show. She’d gotten very good at not letting it show. “It’s fine. I’m fine.” Only a half truth, but one that she hoped would put the man’s mind to rest.

It hadn’t been enough, from the looks of it. He was lost in his thoughts, if only for a second. Then he spoke, and she realised that it hadn’t been because of her tragic backstory. Phew. She busied herself by stopping short of scarfing down breakfast. She wanted to be polite, but being polite meant sacrificing precious seconds of hot pancake. When he mentions his dream, her eyes light up again. “You make it sound so simple! ‘Oh, you know, I just had a thing in mind and I went for it’. You don’t sound like you’re giving yourself enough credit for that!” You had a goal for your whole life, and you just went out and made it happen! That’s not normal, right? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t know many adults-” or children- “but people say ‘dream job’ because it’s hard and far off, right?” She raised an eyebrow, but only for a second. Her eyes fell to the pancakes as she continued.

“How do you know, anyway? What your dream job is. It’s weird to me, trying to imagine sitting around, doing the same thing for the rest of my life… Maybe I’ve just been out and about for too long. Or maybe I need to get an actual job first. Gonna be honest, I don’t know how this stuff usually works.”

wizz

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
breakfast club [c]
POSTED ON Nov 26, 2019 21:31:41 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
notes
orion used struggle

Annie's fine, she insists, and Orion can't help but relate. He'd tell anyone much the same, if they asked. I'm fine, don't worry about it. So he lets her be, because he knows he'd want the same.

Colour rises in his cheeks as she compliments him. He's embarrassed by the praise, but grateful in the same breath; he didn't often hear that. That his goals were impressive, and not waste of time, worthless, impossible. It's ridiculous, a twenty-seven year old man feeling validated by this teenager he'd just met, but here he was.

"I — I guess so," he agrees, and it's like a warmth spreading in his chest. This was his dream job, and yes, he had achieved it. "I never really looked at it that way before. Just kind of... wanted to be a ranger, so I signed up." What he doesn't mention are the days he'd spent in an anxious haze, constantly feeling sub-par, trying to fly under the radar so that they wouldn't realise their mistake and kick him out of the corps.

He's past that now, mostly.

Her question makes him frown, chewing slowly on his bite of honey-coated pancake. "I don't know," he admits, with an apologetic shrug. "I saw the rangers on TV when I was a kid and I just thought 'yeah, I'd like to do that'. You never felt like that about anything before?"