thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
lower than i thought we'd go, why'd the guilt spread so slow?
awards
1,419 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
mirrors [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 7:51:57 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]mirrors greet him the moment he steps foot into the new gym. regardless of where he looks, his reflection is there to greet him. there's something about it that makes him feel uneasy, uncomfortable, but a challenge is a challenge. this should be no different, even if it is against her.

"i see you've redecorated."

[newclass=.lance] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.lance b] color: #dea02c; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.lance i] text-decoration: underline dotted #dea02c; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
good girls go to heaven, bad girls rule the world
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
mirrors [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 8:07:19 GMT
Katherine Fairburne Avatar
I want you to know
I'm a mirrorball I'll show you every version of yourself
tonight ❥
[attr="class","katherine"]
It wasn't easy to find staff to hire for the gym that was comfortable working in such an environment every day. Not everyone was as vain as Katherine, and some even found it disturbing to be surrounded by mirrors all-day. But of course, she wouldn't have gone through with it if she didn't like it so much.

"Well, I had to. If I am going to spend so much time in this place, I want it to at least look good."

And nothing could decorate a room better than her reflection.

"By the way, why did you choose untraditional?" She asks, referring to the challenge he selected as she led the way to the arena inside the building. Frankly, if it wasn't for the Phantump floating by her side, she would have most likely stumbled into a wall.

template by rem of WW

[googlefont=Dancing Script]
[newclass=.katherine b]color: #a552bb[/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,419 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
mirrors [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 8:15:44 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]"to make it a fair fight."

gym leaders, by the very nature of how the system is set up, are always at a disadvantage no matter what they do. their battles are recorded, available online, which makes them easy to counter. while lance knows nothing of katherine's abilities as a trainer, knowing she specializes in ghost-types would have been enough to make it an unfair fight.

"you're not going to let me win again, are you?"

[newclass=.lance i] text-decoration: underline dotted #dea02c; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
mirrors [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 8:30:23 GMT
I want you to know
tonight ❥
Who said chivalry was dead?

Lance was a gentleman through and through, and it almost made the gym leader chuckle. Sure, her untraditional format made things a bit more fair, but it was far from what she imagined a real fight would be like. There isn't a number disadvantage in here, there aren't foul tricks rockets were famous for, and there's certainly no threat.

Gyms were certainly good to test a person's skills, but most of the trainers who had visited her so far showed no promise or the capability to become a threat in the future.

"Well, what kind of a gym leader would I be if I made things easy?" The good kind, probably. The ones the general public often adores. "You've won our last duel, didn't you? You just have to do it again."

They reach the arena, and Willow knows it's time for him to leave. To replace Katherine's previous companion, both a Spiritomb and a Milotic are sent out of their pokeballs. The first half of the duo is stationary, whereas the other seeks attention from her trainer.

It was Lance's move now.

template by rem of WW

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,419 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
mirrors [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 8:40:03 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]something tells him winning this duel is going to be easier said than done. the PRESSURE her spiritomb exudes is familiar, welcome, and is returned in kind when he sends out his spiritomb. he offers willow a wave goodbye before turning his attention to the battle.

"take it easy on me, yeah? i only have one badge, after all."

not technically a lie. he just conveniently decides to leave out the eight badges from sinnoh. his eyes fall to her pokemon, studying them, and he decides their game plan stays the same as it always has. milotic's ability remains unknown for now. which one out of its three does it have?

click, click.

a dizzying flash of green pulses from kuo in an attempt to HYPNOTISE the opposing spiritomb. rotta darts forward, quick on his little feet, and attempts to sink his SUPER FANGS into the milotic.

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
mirrors [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 9:01:52 GMT
I want you to know
tonight ❥
Considering how new she was to the job, it was strange to see what little care Katherine had towards appearing professional. She brought out her phone and allowed it to levitate in front of her, Rotom was both recording the fight and searching online for restaurants in Mauville.

"Look for a place with some good pizza, Rotom." Her attention snaps back to Lance, "You don't mind pizza, do you?"

But this distraction only lasts for a while before the fight begins.

"Mimic his moves, Walpurgis." And the Spiritomb does exactly that, copying the actions of Kuo as emerald pulses of energy emit from his core. The combined pressure of the two pokemon would be enough to shatter an ordinary mirror, but luckily, these have been reinforced already.

Rotta manages to sink his teeth into Milotic's body, who does not move to evade the attack. She allows herself to be hurt at the cost of her ability to come into play: CUTE CHARM. Should luck play to their side, the Ratata would be charmed by the water-type.

"Aqua ring."

Thin swirls of water begin to surround the serpent, slowly healing the damage she had received. Beside her, Spiritomb had already fallen asleep.

There was no better place for a mirror match up than her gym.

template by rem of WW

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,419 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
mirrors [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 9:10:42 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]"pizza sounds good. loser pays? which means your treat, really."

the mirror matchup is certainly interesting. it's one he hasn't had much experience with, but a feature of a good trainer is their ability to adapt on the fly. he watches both the ghost-types fall asleep, leaving the battle a one-on-one for now.

milotic's CUTE CHARM comes into play. lance sees how the infatuation builds in his little rattata's eyes, but thankfully rotta never releases his bite. with his teeth still stunk into the milotic, an order comes and it's one they've done multiple times before.

"zippy zap."

muscle memory kicks in, and rotta summons a surge of THUNDER that surrounds him and whatever's in contact with him.

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
mirrors [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 9:21:16 GMT
I want you to know
tonight ❥
"Is it?"

She seems surprised, almost as if entirely unaware of the ongoing battle and how the tides shifted so easily in Lance's favor. But it's a farce, for both Katherine and her pokemon are deceiving Lance his partners. Not having to worry about the two ghost-types works in their favor.

"Serenity, protect yourself."

Although they're in pain and the aqua rings do little to ease the pain, the water-type not once dares to defy an order. She glows brightly, reflecting the colors in the room as the thunder is summoned. The damage is severe and she is left panting.

But what she mirrors back at Ratata is worse - the damage received is doubled against the normal-type, despite the lack of type advantage.

"I hope you brought your wallet, Lance."

template by rem of WW

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,419 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
mirrors [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 9:30:03 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]oh shit. the little rattata is zapped right back and the squeal that escapes him is a bit hard to listen to. rotta drops to the ground, not fainted, but dangerously close to it. being hurt by someone he was infatuated with seems to have snapped him out of it, which is ironic as it'd likely have the opposite effect on lance.

"you bully."

hurting a little rattata like that. rotta, sporting scorch marks across his fur, rises to his feet and leaps forward for a desperate ENDEAVOR. lance notices out of the corner of his eyes his spiritomb stirring back awake.

"i was looking forward to being treated by you."

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
mirrors [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 9:44:28 GMT
I want you to know
tonight ❥
Her own Spiritomb begins to slowly wake, but he's not quite ready to prepare an attack.

The endeavor is similar to the Milotic's MIRROR COAT, both moves serve the purpose of punishing a pokemon for pulling off a successful attack. Funny. Maybe the ghost-types weren't the only ones mirroring each other.

"Sing."

Serenity's melodic voice echoes in the arena. The tune is soft and gentle, but the attack isn't. It seeks to inflict damage not only on Rotta, but also on the awakening Spiritomb.

"You're better than I thought you'll be, Lance." And yet the information she'd been given mentioned no badges, "Is this really your first official match?"

template by rem of WW

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,419 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
mirrors [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 9:55:12 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]what an unfortunate time to wake up. kuo rumbles, annoyed by the DISARMING VOICE but there's little he can do about it. he leaves it to rotta, who manages to sneak in one last SUCKER PUNCH on the milotic before fainting. the little rattata is swiftly recalled.

kuo is quick to capitalize on the situation. the ghost-type uses SHADOW SNEAK to fade into the shadows, snaking his way across the battlefield to strike at the opposing spiritomb. he is quick to move back after.

"this is my second in hoenn." he plays coy and continues to withhold crucial information. "but petalburg wasn't much of a challenge."

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
mirrors [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 10:05:40 GMT
I want you to know
tonight ❥
Rattata and Milotic faint together, still mirroring each other.

Serenity is recalled quickly so the fight won't halt. Walpurgis stares daggers at the other Spiritomb, upset both because he had fallen prey to he himself often used, and also due to the defeat of his partner.

"Did you fight her or did you go through the maze?" Katherine asks as the shadow of one Spiritomb strikes the other. Her own opts to shatter the mirror match up then and there, shooting a confuse ray at its counterpart. "She was nice, but it didn't feel like much of a challenge."

template by rem of WW

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,419 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
mirrors [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 10:11:22 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]"i put her lycanroc to sleep and she forfeited. not much of a fight, really." he doesn't blame the petalburg leader for doing what she did. it would have been foolish not to.

the mirror matchup continues. a different pattern of green orbs pulse this time, mirroring a CONFUSE RAY. kuo falls victim to the effects and it shows in how droopy his eyes get. this battle might come down to luck.

shrugging, he comments: "so far, the gyms in hoenn pale in comparison to the ones in sinnoh."

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
mirrors [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 10:25:05 GMT
I want you to know
tonight ❥
She was only a couple of weeks into this job and already she felt comfortable gossiping about a co-worker.

Both Spiritombs seem to have been confused by each other, and the pace of the fight slows. However, Katherine has no intention of keeping it that way. "Finish it." She asks of Walpurgis who knows exactly what his trainer means. An ominous aura surrounds the ghost-type before sucking away a part of its life force, allowing him to inflict a CURSE upon his opponent.

It will eat away at its health rapidly - giving the fight a time limit.

"..So you do have experience." The missing piece in the puzzle is revealed, and it all makes sense now. "I knew something wasn't right. I'll have to tell my staff to ask about badges from other regions from now on."

template by rem of WW

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,419 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
mirrors [gym]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2020 10:35:14 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]another click sounds from his mouth, sending instructions known only to his team. and just like rotta before, kuo's muscle memory kicks in. a DARK PULSE surges through the battlefield, not directed in a particular direction but spread out across the area.

with kuo now CURSED, it puts a timer on the fight. it continues to tick as the spiritomb tries to shake the confusion off. it won't be that easy, however, as he takes the first bit of damage from the CURSE.

"it's been a long time, though. we're a bit rusty."