twinleaf, sinnoh
demisexual
veteran trainer
cadet
what am i
without my armor?
15 height
15 height
When your temper rises, lower your fists. When your fists rise, lower your temper.
awards
129 posts
Mimi Cheng DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @mimi
Mimi Cheng
tiny dancer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2020 13:52:42 GMT
Mimi Cheng Avatar
[attr="class","mimi"]mimi is no dancing expert, by far, but years of traditional dancing classes must be of some use. besides, it's to help a friend not disappoint another friend. she supposes that part of the crushing process involves being self-conscious and worrying about whether one’s skills are good enough for the intended partner. not that she knows.

”there are two things you want to keep in mind when you ask her to dance,” she enunciates without much preamble, her friend mask momentarily swapped for that of a strict teacher. it's similar to the one she uses to train her pokemon, if she stops to think about it.

her hand is raised, fingers ready to enumerate each lesson. ”first, you want to choose the right song. a slow dance may be ideal. it's a close, comfortable dance, and doesn't require too much concentration. you could chat while you dance, or even try and steal a kiss.” this last part is mentioned specifically to watch his reaction. lance’s crush on ava is adorable.

[attr="class","seelie"]
[newclass=.mimi] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; } .mimi b { color: #dea02c; font-size: 13px; } .mimi u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #dea02c; font-size: 13px; } .mimi a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .mimi .seelie { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .mimi .seelie img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
lower than i thought we'd go, why'd the guilt spread so slow?
awards
1,415 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
tiny dancer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2020 16:37:57 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]is this what it feels like to be a student? as someone who has been traveling the region since he was ten, lance never quite got to experience this particular dynamic. it's interesting, to say the least. and stressful.

the flush of his cheeks is apparent as he turns his head away. he reaches for the cd to save him from the inevitable teasing. "i already chose a song," he says, sliding it into the cd player. "it's for a slow dance, i think."

and sure enough, the song that plays is slow, melodious, romantic. he looks expectantly at her like a lost puppy, waiting for instructions.

[newclass=.lance] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.lance b] color: #dea02c; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.lance i] text-decoration: underline dotted #dea02c; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

champ

mimi
she/her
twenty-eight
july 29
twinleaf, sinnoh
demisexual
veteran trainer
cadet
what am i
without my armor?
15 height
15 height
When your temper rises, lower your fists. When your fists rise, lower your temper.
awards
129 posts
Mimi Cheng DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @mimi
Mimi Cheng
tiny dancer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2020 17:45:11 GMT
Mimi Cheng Avatar
[attr="class","mimi"]the color on his cheeks doesn't go unnoticed. mimi waits as he moves to play the song he's chosen, curious. had he ever been this thoughtful when it came to a girl? she's just happy it's ava that gets to see this side of lance. she knows her friend will treat him the way he deserves.

"it's a nice song," she says after a few seconds of listening to it. sweet, slow, the kind of ballad popular a few years back. she wonders if it's a song he and ava have shared before. "the second thing you have to be mindful of is the place you'll be dancing in. we don't want either of you accidentally getting hurt."

of course, they don't have to worry about that in their current venue. a big, open room in mimi's ancestral home. "okay, now for the real lesson." she extends a hand, motioning for lance to approach. "put your hands on my waist."

[attr="class","seelie"]
[newclass=.mimi] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; } .mimi b { color: #dea02c; font-size: 13px; } .mimi u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #dea02c; font-size: 13px; } .mimi a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .mimi .seelie { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .mimi .seelie img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,415 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
tiny dancer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2020 18:00:54 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]"it played on our first date."

listening to the song makes him reminisce, fond memories returning for the briefest of moments.

"we slow danced to it then but i was horrible. kept stepping on her toes."

at her extended hand, lance approaches with an air of nervousness. "both hands?" stupid question. he gently places both on her waist, now forced to peer down at her due to their height. "now what?"

[newclass=.lance i] text-decoration: underline dotted #dea02c; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

champ

mimi
she/her
twenty-eight
july 29
twinleaf, sinnoh
demisexual
veteran trainer
cadet
what am i
without my armor?
15 height
15 height
awards
129 posts
Mimi Cheng DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @mimi
Mimi Cheng
tiny dancer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2020 18:17:49 GMT
Mimi Cheng Avatar
[attr="class","mimi"]this time, she can't help the chuckle. "do you really have two left feet?"

she'll have to see for herself.

"well, yes, both hands." mimi answers, dedicating a moment to securing his hands on her waist. didn't he say he'd tried this before? nevermind, she's here to fix that first failure. "you could also try closed position. it's kind of like the old waltz movements, with your left hand holding my – or ava's – right. it can be a little harder to control, because it widens the area you have to be mindful of."

mimi wraps her arms around lance's neck, closing the distance between the two. she knows ava. she's sure she'll prefer this to the alternative mimi mentioned. "don't think too much; just sway to the music."

[attr="class","seelie"]
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,415 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
tiny dancer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2020 17:42:39 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]his hands find their place on her waist. she speaks but barely anything is being registered. he's too busy focusing on trying not to step on her toes. the last thing he wants to do is embarrass himself in front of her. especially not her.

"that's easier said than done, mimi."

if just swaying to the music is all there is to it, then why is he so bad at dancing? it doesn't make sense. he's shifting a little closer when she wraps her arms around his neck, gravitating toward her.

"i don't think i'm doing this right."

close tab

played by

champ

mimi
she/her
twenty-eight
july 29
twinleaf, sinnoh
demisexual
veteran trainer
cadet
what am i
without my armor?
15 height
15 height
awards
129 posts
Mimi Cheng DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @mimi
Mimi Cheng
tiny dancer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2020 18:19:05 GMT
Mimi Cheng Avatar
[attr="class","mimi"]mimi can clearly see lance's eyes on the floor, and that makes her frown. he's too busy looking at his feet to hear her at all. "you're not listening to me, lance," comes a needled remark.

they stop and she sighs, sliding her hands to the sides of his face to force him to look up at her. "it's because you're worrying too much. see, the good thing about slow dancing is you don't even need to move your feet much." slowly, she returns her hands to their place behind his neck. with an encouraging smile, she says, "how about i count along to the tempo, would that help?"

[attr="class","seelie"]
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,415 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
tiny dancer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2020 19:47:54 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]the needled remark is sharp and precise. they stop dancing even before the song comes to an end. her hands find his face, forcing him to meet her eyes. her words are a rough reminder of just how much he sucks at dancing.

"right. sorry." he's not sure why he's apologizing. for wasting her time, maybe? for not listening? either way, he's shaking his head at her question. "i think i just need a distraction."

the song continues to play in the background, coming to the start of the second chorus. "just tell me about your day." he starts moving again, still too focused on his feet, at least until she starts talking.

close tab

played by

champ

mimi
she/her
twenty-eight
july 29
twinleaf, sinnoh
demisexual
veteran trainer
cadet
what am i
without my armor?
15 height
15 height
awards
129 posts
Mimi Cheng DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @mimi
Mimi Cheng
tiny dancer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2020 21:47:05 GMT
Mimi Cheng Avatar
[attr="class","mimi"]the tilt of mimi's head lacks the characteristic finger on her chin, but that can't be helped if her hands are both busy at the moment.

"my day?" she hums. one sly strand of hair falls away from the ear it had been tucked behind, thanks to the shift. nothing out of the ordinary had happened that day. really, the one thing she'd been looking forward to the whole day had been giving lance his dancing lessons. "oh! i actually don't think i got to tell you, i got news about my galarian visa. it's been approved!"

there's an excited grin plastered all over her face, and it only widens with her next sentence. "you'll have to throw me a farewell party this fall."

[attr="class","seelie"]
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,415 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
tiny dancer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 23, 2020 14:50:10 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]her day; even the most minute of details is enough to pull him away from the shuffling of his feet. he peers up at her, smiling. "oh that's amazing news, mimi. i'm happy for you." really, he is. she's spoken of visiting galar for years now and to see it finally happen is wonderful.

there comes a slight lull in their conversation where he truly understands the gravity of her words. "right. a farewell party." he repeats it to himself, reminding him that he'll be seeing less of her from now on. it's bittersweet.

"when are you leaving?"

close tab

played by

champ

mimi
she/her
twenty-eight
july 29
twinleaf, sinnoh
demisexual
veteran trainer
cadet
what am i
without my armor?
15 height
15 height
awards
129 posts
Mimi Cheng DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @mimi
Mimi Cheng
tiny dancer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 24, 2020 22:46:13 GMT
Mimi Cheng Avatar
[attr="class","mimi"]to see lance as happy as she is about the news makes her appreciate him even more. arceus, she thinks, what a great friend-slash-rival (not the other way around this time) she has. her arms tighten around his neck in an almost-hug. "thank you."

the moment shifts, changes by the sudden severity in his voice. "oh, come on, i said party but it doesn't have to be anything grand." mimi's attempt at reassuring him. honestly, she'd settle with a small reunion with her closest friends - him and ava and, of course, their pokemon. assuming he's worried about not hosting a good enough party allows her to ignore the feeling of homesickness she is sure to feel pretty soon.

"last week of september. you still have a while to make room in your busy, busy schedule, and properly plan it."

the song comes to an end seconds later. her feet come to a halt with it. their bodies separate, and she makes it a point to stare down at her two feet. "both safe from any threat of stomping. see? not too bad."

[attr="class","seelie"]
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,415 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
tiny dancer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 26, 2020 17:53:44 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]last week of september gives them a few months but it still feels too little. the thought stews in the back of his mind, lingering. "it might be hard to make room but i'll try." he chuckles right as the song slows to an end. he's peering down at his feet when it does, surprised that he hadn't stepped on her toes.

"huh. talking works now but i imagine i'll be too distracted by her on the night." clicking his tongue, he steps away to replay the song. the speakers hum to life once again, filling the room with life. "let's try one without any distractions."

close tab

played by

champ

mimi
she/her
twenty-eight
july 29
twinleaf, sinnoh
demisexual
veteran trainer
cadet
what am i
without my armor?
15 height
15 height
awards
129 posts
Mimi Cheng DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @mimi
Mimi Cheng
tiny dancer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2020 3:34:31 GMT
Mimi Cheng Avatar
[attr="class","mimi"]there's a titter of lighthearted laughter at her friend's cheesiness. "i'm sure you'll be. you're so lovesick." it's not meant as a critique. far from it, mimi's happy for him and ava. even if she's started to feel a bit like a third wheel.

despite being the teacher here, mimi doesn't mind complying to his request. his newfound confidence is heartwarming. companionable silence fills the air as they take their positions once more. like water flowing from a water bearer's jug, each movement becomes the natural continuation of the previous move.

she closes her eyes, lost in the moment until either the song comes to an end or lance inevitably steps on her. whichever comes first.

[attr="class","seelie"]
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,415 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
tiny dancer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2020 19:08:52 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lance"]
[attr="class","lance b"]
[attr="class","lance i"]he closes his eyes, lost in the moment until the song comes to an end. not once did he step on her feet, perhaps too mesmerized by all of it. he offers mimi a warm smile, chuckling his disbelief but not pulling away just yet.

"you're not such a bad teacher after all."

close tab

played by

champ

mimi
she/her
twenty-eight
july 29
twinleaf, sinnoh
demisexual
veteran trainer
cadet
what am i
without my armor?
15 height
15 height
awards
129 posts
Mimi Cheng DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @mimi
Mimi Cheng
tiny dancer [c]
POSTED ON Aug 31, 2020 4:36:21 GMT
Mimi Cheng Avatar
[attr="class","mimi"]"did you doubt it for even a second?" resumes their natural banter. the status quo dictates it so.

mimi is the first to pull away. the smile is returned before she even has a chance to think about it. realizing it, she schools her features into the same neutral expression she uses when giving her pokémon a lesson. "my pupil had budding potential. i only helped that potential bloom." it's even the same type of speech that she uses with them, with similar terms and similar metaphors.

[attr="class","seelie"]