2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
the queen's gambit [c]
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2020 19:05:11 GMT
Katherine Fairburne Avatar

[attr="class","katherine"]

Declan's latest request was... A strange one, to say the least.

However, Katherine is in no position to pick and choose her tasks. Disregarding the fact that he was her new boss, she also happened to receive quite the gift from him not too long ago. Still in debt, she simply could not afford to deny Declan his preferred method of payment.

Her only consolation was that this had to be temporary. A part-time gig. One that she’ll get rid of as soon as she’s allowed.

The information she’d been given about her target, or rather, her student was only that he was filthy rich and needed training. The lack of specifics mattered little. After all, a part of this job is to match his pace and level.

The receptionist was informed of the expected guest ahead of time, so when stepped into the facility, Amber rose from her seat to welcome him with a smile and then directed him through Katherine’s house of mirrors. The path is harrowingly reflective. The walls are covered by mirrors, similarly to both the floor and the ceiling.

There’s not a corner where one can escape their own reflection.

Eventually, they reach the battle arena where Katherine had been waiting. Zane’s appearance is abrupt only to a certain, shy Castform who immediately moves to hide behind its trainer’s back.

“You’ll have to stop hiding at some point, Atmos,” Katherine speaks gently, her eyes averting until they finally fall upon Zane. “You must be Zane. Welcome.”

Amber doesn’t stick around, nor does she wait to hear Kat thank her. She knows her boss better than that.

notes:

[attr="class","katherinetag"]

[newclass=.katherine] width: 330px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 11px; text-align: justify; color: #a3a3a3; padding: 20px; line-height: 12pt; margin-top: -10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherine b] color: #7a737e; font-size: 12px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag a] background: #2e2e2e; padding: 10px; border: 1px solid #252525; text-transform: uppercase!important; font-family: 'roboto'; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold; color: #aaa; letter-spacing: 1px!important; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes img] padding: 0px 5px 5px 0px; background: #2e2e2e; border: solid 1px #252525; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

light

joker
he/him
october 25th
almia region
demisexual
altru inc.rep.
grunt
every man has a price to charge and a price to pay
awards
30 posts
zane hall DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zane
zane hall
the queen's gambit [c]
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2020 23:08:57 GMT
zane hall Avatar
 "you have a fun home," zane commented, "ms. fairburne." the desire to call her by her codename danced at the forefront of his mind. but one could never be too careful. for all they knew this place could have been bugged by some obsessed league member. a caramel beauty such as her could easily ensnare the hidden eye.

"i appreciate the effort you're going through to teach this tenderfoot of mine." he'd flash her a soft smile, "i hope you'll catch me when i fall." to think this was even necessary. pokemon battling was barely exciting for zane. he'd better things to be doing then being trained to tame and utilize some wild animal. besides, the pokemon he had were loyal enough to him as is. then again, in this region pokemon battling was everything. they even had contests for them.

"during my flight i read up on a lot of interesting trainers here. a councilman," he'd correct himself, "or should i say the owner of silph co. inspired me. who'd have thought even the most successful partook in these sort of things." zane would let out a light chuckle, "if i'm to be apart of this region, it's best i get some learning in while i can in my spare time." a hand would come to poke his own temple, "and don't worry, i'm a fast learner."

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
good girls go to heaven, bad girls rule the world
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
the queen's gambit [c]
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2020 23:58:33 GMT

[attr="class","katherinepokes"]

“You think so?”

If Zane wanted to ensure that this won’t be a short lesson, he was most certainly on the right track. Compliments, whether if empty or not, had their effect on Katherine. The whole prospect of teaching Zane became slightly more bearable now as her heart warmed into the idea.

The way words seemed to roll off his tongue was familiar, almost reminiscent of a different businessman she’d come to know. But the resemblance seemed to end there. After all, the person on her mind was an exceptional trainer.

Her brow quirks when he’s mentioned. If Kat didn’t know any better, she’d have assumed that Zane read her mind. ? Yes, he is… Quite something.” There was no doubt that whichever article Zane read, it failed to do him justice.

Her thoughts wandered to the councilman’s Tapu Fini and the prowess the Legendary exhibited in their fight. Despite making virtually no mistakes, the loss was resounding and more profound than any that Kat had experienced.

“But enough about that. I assume that you do have some pokemon to battle with, right?” Katherine asks before puckering her lips to whistle. The sharp sound echoes within the arena for several moments until a shadowy portal comes to life on the floor, and from within it, a Mismagius rises.

“This is Morgana.”

The witch-like pokemon twirled in the air, almost as if saying hello. “You and I will analyze your mistakes throughout the match. My only advice for you is to think of this like…” She paused, mulling over her choice of words for a second.

“A game of chess. It just so happens that here, your queen is also your king. You'll be white, so the first move is yours.”

"Oh, and try to impress me."

notes:

[newclass=.katherine] width: 330px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 11px; text-align: justify; color: #a3a3a3; padding: 20px; line-height: 12pt; margin-top: -10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherine b] color: #7a737e; font-size: 12px; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinetag a] background: #2e2e2e; padding: 10px; border: 1px solid #252525; text-transform: uppercase!important; font-family: 'roboto'; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold; color: #aaa; letter-spacing: 1px!important; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes] text-align:right; [/newclass] [newclass=.katherinepokes img] padding: 0px 5px 5px 0px; background: #2e2e2e; border: solid 1px #252525; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

light

joker
he/him
october 25th
almia region
demisexual
altru inc.rep.
grunt
awards
30 posts
zane hall DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zane
zane hall
the queen's gambit [c]
POSTED ON Oct 24, 2020 10:37:48 GMT
zane hall Avatar
a white, long-sleeved shirt donned his top. a sleeveless, red hoodie could be seen over that top. black sweats where, upon the right leg, a pants leg could be seen rolled up to the knee. casual red high-tops were worn for footwear.

"a game of chess?" so had that been how the many saw them compared to the few? factoring in typing, that was also, somewhat, important. he was no child to the basic understanding behind pokemon, but he was aware of the unique capability they possessed. it was no different from a gamble really. depending on the game, a strong hand can be your greatest asset; though, if you're not careful, a weak hand can also be your greatest ally.

it was left to chance, but you had someway to manipulate the odds. then there was the factoring of moveset. this reminded him of choice poker almost, except here your weaker hand doesn't really--"mm, okay!" a simple nod was given in response. the person to set the stage gave him an idea. the pokemon that stood before him had been a ghost-type. a simple observation based on appearance, "come, red rider." a ball would come to open at his waste.

a hue of blue would come to expel blaziken (red rider). a name given to the pokemon based off of the little red riding hood. "flame charge," a simple command given. the pokemon would come to be enveloped within a fiery cloak. charging straight at the mismagius head-on.

notes: , lil red riding hood.

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
the queen's gambit [c]
POSTED ON Oct 24, 2020 12:31:12 GMT

“NASTY PLOT. Don’t bother moving.”

The order Katherine issues seems almost counterintuitive. If she was trying to shoot her own foot to give Zane a real chance, then this was certainly the right start. Mismagius, although dutiful and obedient, can’t help but sneer at the instructions. Either the ghost-type believed herself to be above them or she simply thought they were unnecessary.

The Blaziken charges head-on and meets its target with no disturbance, and although the witch-like pokemon suffers a blow, she presses on. Seemingly deep in thought, Mismagius is more focused on strengthening her mystical power by concentrating her magic.

”I am not defending my queen, Zane.”

“Punish me.”

notes: mismagius's special attack is at +2.

close tab

played by

light

joker
he/him
october 25th
almia region
demisexual
altru inc.rep.
grunt
awards
30 posts
zane hall DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zane
zane hall
the queen's gambit [c]
POSTED ON Oct 24, 2020 12:53:14 GMT
zane hall Avatar
odd.

as he stood from his point of view watching the battle. there was a scent that lingered about. a sadistic intimacy that permeated the oxygen in the room. the source? the pair across from them. a hidden desire for recklessness crept over them.

"if i'm not careful you'll swallow me whole," icy blue irises came to be narrowed, "i'd hate to find out i was eve all along." for just like the snake of eden, corruption would lead to the demise of his garden—red rider the blaziken.

"but if you insist," zane would accept, "i'm happy to oblige, cher; flame charge again." once more the attack was launched. the same as last.

notes: , why are the women of rocket so intense.

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
the queen's gambit [c]
POSTED ON Oct 24, 2020 13:30:45 GMT

“Would you?”

The fire that shrouded Blaizken’s charge left a trail of flickering flames, struggling to stay afloat on top of the mirrored floor. “Hate it, I mean.” An arrogant smirk dances on the gym leader’s lips, painting Katherine’s expression with the vanity she was famed for.

“I find that hard to believe.”

Just as before, the fire-type fiercely charges at her ghost to deliver a flaming blow. Mismagius gasps when the hit connects, but otherwise, keeps her head straight.

A second NASTY PLOT is ushered all while incantations spill from the pokemon’s lips.

“Do you believe you have us cornered yet?”

notes: mismagius's special attack is at +4.

close tab

played by

light

joker
he/him
october 25th
almia region
demisexual
altru inc.rep.
grunt
awards
30 posts
zane hall DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zane
zane hall
the queen's gambit [c]
POSTED ON Oct 24, 2020 14:08:36 GMT
zane hall Avatar
"you're right," she wasn't wrong. being the one to bring about change and remembered for it is good. though, many would disagree. what eve had done was bad and brought about sin. she was tempted and she had no one to blame but herself.

the snake that plagued their garden had been allowed entry into their home. that was adam and eve's first mistake. except, this time, eve had chosen to walk into the snake's home.

being swallowed may not be so bad, it's just a matter...

once more flame charge would come to be initiated, "...of how much am i willing to allow you to swallow me?" his gaze did once focus on the battle, but just past their pokemon he could easily see her on the other side. a smile had been given in return as the battle pressed on. "though, my question to you, how much of me are you willing to swallow? half or until you choke, cher?"

notes: , 50 shades? but make it pokemon.

i bet declan has this room bugged and is listening and is just all, "oh my god?? is this who we are?? is this what we represent??"

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
the queen's gambit [c]
POSTED ON Oct 24, 2020 14:28:38 GMT

Exhausted and drained, the third FLAME CHARGE seemed to take a toll on Mismagius’s body. There’s no doubt that now, at this very moment, she was indeed cornered into a tight spot.

Katherine, however, revels in situations like these. Being stuck between a rock and a hard place never bothered her. If anything, judging by this conversation, hard things failed to threaten her.

“Ah, wouldn’t you like to know?”

Her eyes begin to travel south ever so slowly, trailing across every inch of Zane’s body as if searching for something. She stops dead in the center, pausing for a second, “Morgana, you may begin.”

The NASTY PLOT finally comes to a close, and now was the time for true witchcraft to begin. The ghost’s eyes flashed with a red glow before forcing a beam to shoot out of Blaziken’s body. It seeks its host; its creator. Mismagius herself.

And as soon as it finds the queen, her health is restored by stealing that of the fire-type.

“Bigger men than you have tried to make me choke,” Whether if Kat was referring to pokemon battles or something was up for her student to determine, “They’ve all failed.”

close tab

played by

light

joker
he/him
october 25th
almia region
demisexual
altru inc.rep.
grunt
awards
30 posts
zane hall DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zane
zane hall
the queen's gambit [c]
POSTED ON Oct 30, 2020 7:45:49 GMT
zane hall Avatar
there was no sign of physical injury on the blaziken, yet he fell to one knee as though there were. it was due to the well revered ghost's curse, "pain split, so that was your angle." well, she wouldn't be a gym leader without some sort of complexity.

it was a nice strategy, he'll have to be weary of ghost pokemon even more. this was a well-earned lesson. "you've definitely taught me something today, ms. katherine!" a chuckle was ushered. who would have thought battling was this entertaining. he still had hope that there was a chance to win with what he had up his own sleeve. but, in the end, this was considered a loss regardless. mainly due to his own lack of foresight.

"win or lose, being unable to foresee that ability is my fault. back home just one mistake would be considered a failing grade." perfection was important. a single wrong answer, a single spec of untidiness, or a single mistake? and it would cost you, metaphorically speaking, your life. "though, i wouldn't count us out just yet." while their preparation was being made, so was zane's.

"on your feet, red rider. it's time to BULK UP!" like steroids his body would amass muscle. a mighty roar had been released. this is where the real fight began.

notes: , i have returned. sorry for the wait.

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
the queen's gambit [c]
POSTED ON Nov 3, 2020 22:33:58 GMT

“You know,” Katherine begins, her eyes staring blankly at Zane as the rush and adrenaline the battle bestowed upon her began to fade. “It’s considered an insult in chess to continue playing when you’ve already lost.”

The gym leader lazily lifts her hand to point at the Blaziken with two of her fingers, ushering her witch to proceed. Mismagius, who follows the command almost religiously, lifts her own hand to cover her lips whilst murmuring hushed incantations.

“There’s no shame in surrendering and begging on your knees to be spared the humiliation.”

And it just so happened that Katherine liked seeing men in that position, so she remained hopeful in thinking that Zane might be convinced by her words.

“You still have time,” She carefully reminds him before Mismagius unleashes an enchanted PSYWAVE.

close tab

played by

light

joker
he/him
october 25th
almia region
demisexual
altru inc.rep.
grunt
awards
30 posts
zane hall DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zane
zane hall
the queen's gambit [c]
POSTED ON Nov 5, 2020 7:14:23 GMT
zane hall Avatar
guess it's about that time.

flame flickered at the blaziken's feet. with FOCUSed ENERGY, the blaziken took a muay thai stance. with his resolve sharpened, golden energy had proceeded to embrace the fire-type's body. a spell traveled in a linear manner toward blaziken, but a quick shift to the side allowed the chance for it to dodge. "the clock hasn't struck twelve just yet, we wanna dance a little more."

he was enjoying the battle, why end it so early? "while you were busy casting your spell, i was busy building my own." flame charge's secondary effect came into play. with each usage, blaziken's speed had risen. as the witch built her wardrobe, the lion honed his claws. with the addition of blaziken's SPEED BOOST, the pokemon became a blur; fire left in its stead.

the distance between mismagius and blaziken had been enclosed. the blaziken practically, or rather literally, speedily emerged beneath the ghost-type's nose. "BLAZE KICK," he ordered. it was time to begin the exorcism. as the flame ignited even greater upon the pokemon's feet, it would perform a backward handspring. attempting to send the ghost-type flying into the air.

notes: , i hope you don't mind me dragging the battle a little more o/

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
the queen's gambit [c]
POSTED ON Nov 7, 2020 21:12:36 GMT

Magic trumps might.

It’s an unspoken law of fantasy that’s rarely, if at all, broken. And within this arena: it’s universally true. Despite the enhanced strength and speed of the Blaizken, Mismagius continues to hold the upper hand. And the mischievous witch allows little room for the flaming fighter to wiggle in.

“Dance, you say? Watch her twirl then.”

The Blaziken is no more than a headless chicken in her arena. He’s trapped, and despite still moving, he’s as good as dead. When he manages to close the distance between them, Morgana already sinks to the floor and allows a PHANTOM FORCE to swallow her whole. His kick grazes her hat but fails to leave a mark.

Within a matter of seconds, after having only vanished now, Morgana reappears behind the Blaziken, intent on striking him when he least sees it coming.

notes: mismagius's special attack is at +4. feel free to continue the battle for as long as u want, idm at all! i'm enjoying these two

close tab

played by

light

joker
he/him
october 25th
almia region
demisexual
altru inc.rep.
grunt
awards
30 posts
zane hall DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zane
zane hall
the queen's gambit [c]
POSTED ON Dec 14, 2020 5:26:48 GMT
zane hall Avatar
with his speed boost risen and enhanced by flame charge. there was a chance for escape, but that was as far as blaziken could go. forcing the pokemon to continue his battle would merely be a punishment. it was only training, after all.

a hand risen, he'd say, "we surrender," zane uttered with one call. "if i push blaziken anymore he'll just burnout." no pun intended. "i still have a lot to learn if i wanna take on the elite four." a soft expression became donned, "i can see why you were chosen to train me. does that make me one of those 'gym trainers'?"

notes: , i think we'll be on page 2 after this. woot, scene change.

close tab

played by

dani

the malevolent / kat
she/her
twenty three
october 7
sootopolis city
heterosexual
full-time bitch
council member
awards
2,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @katherine
Katherine Fairburne
the queen's gambit [c]
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2021 1:40:28 GMT

“No.”

Katherine’s answer comes shortly after she gestures for Mismagius to leave, allowing the ghost-type to tend to her business again. And when the battlefield appears to be clear, the gym-leader moves to close the distance between herself and the man who’d come to study under her.

“My standards are a bit higher for official gym trainers, I am afraid.” Honest, as always. Perhaps more than necessary. ”But maybe after we get a few more lessons in.”

If he was truly interested in the post, she’d be more than willing to extend good graces and accept him into her facility.

notes: