plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
what's wrong? does nobody here love you? do you feel alone? need somebody to hold you?
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
off to sea [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 19, 2021 22:40:06 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"I'm here t' say . . . no. I've been tryin' t', fuck, what about . . ." Plank murmurs to herself as she walks the pristine streets of Slateport's Upper District, on the way to an appointment she had all but lost faith in getting until a mere twenty or so hours ago. Her hands balled up in her basketball shorts, the hood of her sweatshirt pulled up over her hair (drawstring pulled so it hides all but her nose and eyes, and muffles her voice).

Her father's been in prison for a couple months now, and since the day he went away she's been going through his contacts -- trying to figure out how to keep their name tied to their business. How to fill the shoes he left in their doorway. At least half of that time has been spent chasing his most elusive contact. A figure from an organization supposedly snuffed out by the League.

All of his contacts are vaguely recorded, smartly so, but this one is a different kind of puzzle. No gender, no hints of a name, and nothing but middle-men listed in uncertain terms to get in touch with them. Middle-men who were unsurprisingly hesitant to tell some mouthy teenager a damn thing -- even if she had proved herself at least a little bit by finding them.

Eventually Plank decided it wasn't worth the effort. She has other potential clients, other ways to keep the family brand afloat, and really who wants a piece of a dead gang's pie anyway? At least that was her mindset until she came home to a note taped inside of the door to her locked apartment in Pacifidlog; with a time and place printed plainly on it alongside some simple instructions.

"How the fuck . . ."

Ever since the address led her into the Upper District, Plank had been uncertain about its validity. But now, standing outside what seems to be a high end establishment -- a nice seafood restaurant -- she really feels like she's being had. Still, she walks in. Uncertain how a group like Team Rocket can set up shop in such a busy and pricy part of the city.

Not a second through the door she has a woman asking if she's in the wrong place and obviously unhappy to see her. Not surprising, Plank knows how she looks. Knows it's not a look associated with fine dining. With a sigh she loosens her hood and pulls it back.

"I've got a, uh," she shuts her eyes, trying to remember the words printed on the note, "I've got a reservation, with a VIP. A man in the shade." It sounds so stupid coming out of her mouth, but she watches as the woman who was previously hassling her straightens up a bit.

After a little more back and forth verifying her identity, Plank is led behind a counter, through a kitchen, and eventually to a side room. After letting her know her meeting is through the door ahead of her she's left alone.

When Plank pulls a hand out of her pocket to knock on the door it's shaking. Even in the lowlight of the hallway she can see it glisten with sweat, too. That won't do.

"Walk into a dealin' weak and you'll walk out cheated," Plank clenches her fist, echoing words she was taught a long time ago. After a few seconds the shaking in her hand stops, and she raps her knuckles against the door. Three strong knocks. And then, before anyone gives her permission, she swings the door open and strides in.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #f9993d[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
off to sea [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 20, 2021 6:50:22 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
's father is an asset that Rocket had been unhappy to lose. As was customary, however, they'd cut ties with their compromised asset and were awaiting such times as they might be able to pull strings enough to get the man released through legal means — let the public think the League corrupt, rather than worry about the implication behind some prison breakout. They were still reeling from Cotillard.

It gets Gavin's attention, then, when whispers travel up the chain that someone — not the man himself — was attempting to make contact with Rocket.

He intends to ignore her, at first. Children often sought any angle out of desperation when losing a parent to the judicial system. It's likely she knows nothing of their business and to reply in any manner would be to affirm the existence of something in the shadows.

"She's real persistent, boss," and that's what sticks with him.

He arrives disguised, dark hair and no glasses, contacts turning his eyes a soft blue. His tailored suit is neatly pressed, its jacket shed and somewhere out of sight. When Plank enters the room, she is greeted with the sharp-eyed stare of a man wielding chopsticks with a Barraskewda sushi roll halfway to his mouth. He lowers them as she enters without invitation, dark eyebrows vanishing behind his fringe.

"It's custom to await invitation after a knock," he drawls, slow; his deep voice conveys no hint of anger or annoyance.
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
what's wrong? does nobody here love you? do you feel alone? need somebody to hold you?
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
off to sea [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 22, 2021 19:34:33 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]No sooner does Plank stride so boldly into the room than her nerves catch up with her. She has to shove her hands deep into her pockets to hide their shaking and has to put a lot of work into schooling her expression. She does her best to force it into an irreverent scowl.

With everything in her fluttering heart she tries to keep her mouth twisted and her eyebrows knit together; even as her lips try to tremble and her forehead starts to sweat.

On the upside, her opening gambit seems to have done its job. The man she assumes she's meant to meet seems caught at least a little off guard. Caught mid-bite and probably not as dignified as he'd like to, if his clean-cut appearance is any sign.

Still, it hardly seems to trip him up. Unlike Plank who is struggling to remain what little composure she put together; the other man seems to settle easily back into a place of authority.

There's no irritation in his voice when he speaks, and that's a problem. The bass of his voice stretches lazily across the space between them and reclaims the momentum she'd tried to establish. Control of the situation settles back almost completely in his lap.

"Well," she has to lick her lips and swallow to keep her voice steady, "I've never seen the point in keepin' t' customs; and I don't wait for nothin'."

As she speaks she straightens up further, arching her spine back just a little bit and tilting her head off to the side. Her arms stretch as they work to keep her hands deep in her pockets even as her body lengthens.

She's shooting for confident punk, but it's hard to know how genuine it's coming across with her heart and mind racing.

mission
ooc: sorry for the wait!

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
off to sea [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2021 1:37:32 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
She's terrified.

Like a predator, Gavin knows her fear — it's in her posture, stiff with her hands in her pockets. It's in the nuances of an expression that struggles to settle on something fierce and confident. It's in the beads of sweat gathering at her temple.

Good. She should be frightened. knows not the lion's den she seeks.

"You waited for me." His smile is languid, dangerous. With his sushi roll set back on the plate, he tents his long fingers and leans forward. Amber eyes burn into hers. I made you wait. "You have my attention. Speak."
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
off to sea [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2021 2:31:29 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]All he does is lean forward and it's hard for Plank to hold her ground. There are feet between them but the moment his fingers come together and his body stretches forward she takes the smallest of steps back.

She scoffs at his accusation, a petulant act of defiance.

"I," she wants to shoot back a snappy retort, but stumbles when she comes up short on words, "I, only, only because I couldn't find ya first!"

Her hands ball into tight, slick fists in her pockets. Fingers slide against palms as she gives her head a quick shake.

"Whatever! It's not important. I'm here t' tell ya I want in!" she wills the stutter out of her voice, but there's still a restlessness to it. She's not taking full breaths and it leaves her words at the tail-end of her statements breathy. Insubstantial.

"I want my Pop's work!" she continues after hardly a catch breath; what could be a bold demand falling out in an uneven, ugly heap of too-fast syllables.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
off to sea [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 24, 2021 21:09:22 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Mm." He hums, amused. "Exactly."

He was not meant to be found. Such was the purpose of the middle-men who'd sent word up the chain that a young lass was sticking her nose where it didn't belong.

She ought to have stayed away. Rocket wasn't a place meant for the young. He'd seen what Rocket had raised to be. Yet he could sense a fire in her spirit that resonated with him. Would he, at sixteen, have settled for the word no?

He thinks of his sister, then. had been turned away from Rocket and found an alternative that was worse. They'd nearly killed her.

He and prized loyalty above all else. Rocket would be a family. This girl's father was a part of that family. He had not asked them to protect her; perhaps out of fear, or stubbornness, or whatever else, but he didn't need to ask.

"You want in," Gavin repeats, the corners of his lips curling. He stares her down. "In where, exactly?"

How much do you know, ?
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
off to sea [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 24, 2021 22:32:05 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]It's silly, the things a young mind takes for granted.

To Plank, it had seemed obvious that she was coming here to deal with Team Rocket. That all the shadowiness of their interactions was handled already after the summons here. It hadn't crossed her mind that maybe there was risk still involved. That there were other things this meeting could be.

When the man across the room from her asks his question, though, the tilt of it sends a chill down her spine. The smile that pins up the corners of his mouth. She squirms.

"Uh, well," her mouth feels dry as momentary uncertainty grips her, "Ya know . . ."

A concern hits her that maybe she isn't supposed to know the answer to this question. That maybe she'd learned too much in her hunting and maybe answering honestly here will get her in some kind of trouble. Her nails struggle to catch and scratch at her palms but can't find any purchase through the film of sweat coating them.

Then she remembers that note. Inside her locked apartment. If she's in trouble, if knowing what she knows is a danger, then the price of that knowledge is going to find her either way.

"I want in t' . . ." for a moment her bottom lip slips between her teeth and is ground between both rows, before being freed scraped but not bleeding, "I heard ya were wiped out, but I want in t' Rocket! That's what ya are, right? A Rocket?"

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
off to sea [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2021 2:40:54 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Rocket.

What does not realise is this: she has said the word that will seal her fate. She knew too much. She would leave this room a Rocket, or she wouldn't leave alive.

His expression barely shifts. Behind his glasses, his eyes narrow. That's what you are, right? It rung with a confidence different to her false bravado. The return of his smile is slow, light catching on sharp canines as he tilts his head.

"If Rocket was wiped out, perhaps they didn't want to be found."

Behind her, the soft click of an electronic lock can be heard.
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
off to sea [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2021 3:18:45 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]A few of Plank's nails finally bite into skin at the man's smile. The mild sting of a shallow wound exposed to salty sweat helps keep her sharp. She doesn't flinch this time or step back.

What's the point? In the silence that hangs between them it's hard to miss the sound of the door latch.

So instead she licks her lips and takes a step forward. Not a big one, but not a stealthy one either. If she's going to be stuck in here she can't just keep running. If she's going to die here it won't be with her back exposed.

"If they didn't wanna be found I figure they should'a done a better job hidin'." she replies, for the first time managing to keep her voice steady and even. Though when she takes her next breath it's still shuddering, and her now bleeding hands are still shaking too much to reveal.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
off to sea [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2021 18:57:44 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
She steps forward, and Gavin is conscious of the weight of his gun against his chest. He thinks about just how much time it will take to quick draw and fire it. He has long since learned to underestimate no one. She's small, likely quick; he'll need to aim carefully.

He doesn't draw his gun, merely watching her like a hawk might eye its prey.

"You'd insult your own father like that?" There's an almost playful lilt to his tone that's ill-fitting for the tense situation. "His leads are the ones that brought you here — yet even then, you know so little about me."

It was Gavin, in the end, who'd allowed himself to be found.

"If Rocket is so easy to find, why does everyone assume them buried? Think on it, girl." He balances chopsticks delicately between his fingers and, at last, pops the sushi roll into his mouth. He savours it as he awaits her response.
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
off to sea [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2021 19:04:47 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]The response gets a nervous laugh out of Plank. The other man's words are as featureless as they've been since she walked through the door, but that almost sounded like a joke. Like a toddler who's learned others smile when they pull faces, Plank goes in for seconds.

"If ya make a habit of letting sloppy operators like Pops hang around, I dunno how long the rumors of your death will hold," she throws out, much more overtly playful than her conversation partner. For the first time her hands leave her pockets as she crosses her arms in front of her chest.

A bit of blood from her palms smudges against her sleeves.

"Not t' worry, though," her smile still quivers on the corners, quietly anxious, "I'll burn the records that led me t' your doorstep. Or you t' mine, I guess."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
off to sea [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2021 19:13:00 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
She steps into a trap. Gavin's smile vanishes, adam's apple bobbing as he swallows.

"You admit, then, that his records are sloppy." He sets the chopsticks down gently. "I'll answer for you: Rocket remains hidden by cleaning up loose ends — sloppy operatives."

How will she react when her family is so clearly threatened?

"Rest assured, those records now lead to dead ends." The first step upon finding out that a route of communication is compromised was to eliminate the trail.
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
off to sea [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2021 19:22:01 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Plank's fingers twist in the fabric of her hoodie's sleeves where they're tucked into her elbows. The moment of bravery and levity is lost in the threat thread through the man's reply. Her teeth catch on the corner of her bottom lip, releasing it only once she's taken a second to think through her next words.

"It was . . . sorry, my mouth it just . . ." maybe a second of thought is too little for a frantic mind, "It was a joke, sorry, my Pops's records were a fuckin' nightmare t' go through. If I didn't know his habits I never would'a got here."

Her eyes slip down to her arms and watch her fingers pull at her sleeves.

"I'll burn 'em anyway . . ." she offers up, not meekly but in a voice notably softer than moments ago.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
off to sea [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 27, 2021 4:02:13 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin gives a sharp shake of his head. The deep timbre of his voice, once almost pleasant, now rumbles with command. "You will not burn them. You will give them to me, and I'll decide just how nightmarish they are."

He allows her a brief moment of hope, perhaps, should she recognize these words as a hint that she will be allowed to leave.

If realized, that hope may be fleeting. Gavin stands up slowly, straightening his sleeves and reaching for the suit jacket neatly tucked against the back of the chair. His eyes never leave hers as he shrugs it on.

"Unless they're on your person, we've got some travelling to do. I'll cover any expenses."
close tab

played by

sunshine

plank
she/her
seventeen
march 19th
pacifidlog town
homosexual
rocket grunt
grunt
awards
313 posts
peggie vela DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @plank
peggie vela
off to sea [mission]
POSTED ON Jan 27, 2021 4:19:41 GMT
peggie vela Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Ah, yeah, sure," Plank says. Each word comes out stilted and awkward, the pause between them existing in the absence of more substantial words and filled only out of obligation by the next word (which then necessitates its own pause).

She does assume that this is her dismissal. If he wants her to bring him the records she'll have to leave for that; and never does her mind consider that the recruiter might want to come with her. She throws her hood over her head and turns towards the door.

About halfway through moving to face the door Plank sees him stand up out of the corner of her eye. She stops turning to look at him.

"Uh . . ." She stands open-mouthed and confused as he straightens his clothing. She fidgets, uncertain what to do until he speaks again.

"Oh, uh . . . yeah, I don't have 'em on me," she replies, hands anxiously at the drawstrings of her hood, "No expenses. I uh, I got myself here."