thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
HIDING FROM THE SUN, WAITING FOR THE NIGHT TO COME.
awards
5,345 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
soft
POSTED ON May 18, 2021 10:25:13 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]he gasps for air the moment he feels the tendrils slacken. pain pulses, numbed little by adrenaline and experience. but it's what he hears the stings the most.

loyalty.

"you already have it."

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.beck] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .beck b { color: #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .beck .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .beck .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .beck .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .beck .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
soft
POSTED ON May 18, 2021 10:34:53 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"You've got a funny way of showing it."

It's a relief when Beckett doesn't lunge for him, as Gavin had half expected.

"I will let you question my orders, but to defy them directly is not something I will tolerate. If you would question my treatment of insubordination from a teenager, how then am I meant to view your own?"

A flick of his wrist instructs Klefki to return to him, but the door remains locked.
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,345 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
soft
POSTED ON May 18, 2021 10:38:49 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]"i meant..."

he exhales, slowly catching his breath. his eyes move from the floor to the porthole, lingering for moments, then to merlino.

he feels little to nothing of what he felt before. the discomfort is suppressed enough to allow the words that follow.

"i didn't want to leave."

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.beck] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .beck b { color: #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #716075; font-size: 13px; } .beck a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .beck .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .beck .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .beck .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .beck .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
soft
POSTED ON May 18, 2021 10:54:09 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
The pain in Gavin's knuckles feels suddenly deserved.

"Fuck's sakes, Beckett."

But Gavin doesn't sound angry; he sounds exasperated, mildly distressed. There had been no warning for the first punch, thanks to the miasma, but the rest?

"Why didn't you—?" But he cuts himself off, for he knows the answer. Beckett hadn't questioned his sudden impulse to violence, because it is what they'd been taught. Gavin winces and takes another step back. "Fuck. I'm — sorry."

Lugia's pressure abates as his distress rises, but the legend does not leave.
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,345 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
soft
POSTED ON May 18, 2021 17:50:38 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]this is all he's ever known. take that away, and what is he?

"i wasn't taught to feel, merlino. it was beaten out of me long before you came around."

he spits blood, never once breaking away.

"but you matter to me. i just — don't know why."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
soft
POSTED ON May 19, 2021 4:56:02 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"You beat it out of me, too."

For all the weight of the words, Gavin delivers them without bitterness or accusation. Rocket had not been kind to him. Theo hadn't been kind, not at first. But Rocket had changed. Gavin had changed.

Theo's changed, too, Gavin thinks. It shows in the way he allows himself a glimpse of vulnerability, admission. It's not much, but it's enough.

"It's enough to know that I do. I don't care about why."

You matter to me, too.
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,345 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
soft
POSTED ON May 19, 2021 8:53:09 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]"you do."

he says it as if acceptance would only bury it in his subconscious. it's how the others were buried, too.

he finally stands, resting against the wall to help him to his feet. he pauses, then asks:

"do i?"

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
soft
POSTED ON May 19, 2021 9:07:02 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
It settles in his chest; not comfortable, but there.

Amber eyes trace Beckett's struggle to right himself, but he does not offer a hand. He'd learned better a long time ago.

His lip quirks at the question's return.

"Yeah," he admits. "You do."
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,345 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
soft
POSTED ON May 19, 2021 9:11:23 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]good.

he exhales, reaching a hand to tend to sore ribs. with little hesitation, he forces the shift in topic, and returns them to what's more familiar.

"if you can hit me, you can hit vela."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
soft
POSTED ON May 19, 2021 9:40:29 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He never expects the jarring shift in subject like he should. His lips press tight as his guard goes up.

He is calmer, this time.

"You're a grown man who's laid me out more times than I can count. Vela is a seventeen-year-old girl." He sighs and pushes sweat-damp blond hair from his eyes. "I can, and I would if I thought it would be effective. I should've done it myself."

It had felt wrong to stand by and watch. He shakes the thought.

"I don't want her to look at me the way I used to look at Blackwell."
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,345 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
soft
POSTED ON May 19, 2021 14:21:38 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]"you're not blackwell."

he repeats it and he suspects he'll have to again in the future. he sighs, considering an alternative.

"she's angry like you were but she seems to have more control over it. can we use it?"

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
soft
POSTED ON May 20, 2021 10:09:51 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"You think Blackwell was always like that?"

It's half rhetorical; like Gavin, like Theo, Silas had once been a child. Who was the boy before the man he'd grown into? It didn't matter, now — all that mattered was the possibility for change, and Gavin's fear of it.

Gavin's lip quirks, a bitter smile for a bitter memory.

"She's young, and she's arrogant. Could be it just goes to her head." He recalls how haughty she'd been about the gym challenge. "The way she's going, she'll snap at the wrong person and get herself killed."
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,345 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
soft
POSTED ON May 20, 2021 15:23:45 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]"she'll continue to snap because you enable her."

he remembers how she had looked to merlino in her last moments. whether it was out of anger or betrayal or something else entirely — theo isn't sure. but he is sure of this:

"you won't always be there to save her, merlino."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
soft
POSTED ON May 20, 2021 15:36:48 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
More than anything else, it's the last words that ring true.

Theo hadn't been there to save him from Hoenn. He hadn't been there when Rocket fell and Gavin had nearly fallen apart from a loss of purpose. Nor for the war, or Necrozma — because in spite of their promise, safety was not absolute.

"I know," he sighs, heavy. Then, "You're right."

He hates it, for it means acknowledging demons he'd hoped to shut away, but—

"If it's life or death, I'd sooner see her survive."
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,345 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
soft
POSTED ON May 20, 2021 15:46:53 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[attr="class","beck"]even if he doesn't feel it, he understands merlino's reservations.

the two years he spent away allowed him to break free from certain chains of his past, but an overwhelming majority still remain. he imagines merlino feels the same, and that returning to old ways would mean submitting.

he would help if he could.

"only you can help her."

[attr="class","noodles"]