awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
up in the clouds [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 7, 2021 5:22:55 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

What was with all of his latest battles being sky battles?

Lars could only tilt his head to one side in silent wonder as to what kind of a fluke had been going on with the match assignment. Either there was something wrong, or there was something that was definitely malfunctioning with the—

“Hm,” he mused to himself as he was eating a lime-flavored snow cone this time. Honestly, if there was one thing that could keep him cooled down, it was this.

And even the snarky deity appreciated the snow cones, although they tended to be picky with certain flavors—

“Wonder who’s next,” he said as he sat down again in the shade of the arena, awaiting his next challenger.

There was—a veritable pile of snow cones near him; hell he’d bought out one of the nearby stands if but to follow him the whole day and provide him with the frozen treat!

Boy, the person manning the snow cone stand must’ve fainted at the sight of all the money he’d slapped down, just for that day. Hah.

His Altaria was snoozing under the shade of the stand not too far away from where he was seated, waiting for whoever he was paired up with to show.

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,442 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
up in the clouds [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 7, 2021 22:40:08 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
So, this one was going to be a sky battle. Hideo had never actually done one before, but he knew it was just like a regular battle, just that the Pokemon had to do it up in the air. He was fortunate that he didn't get airsick easily.

Only problem was that it was a lot harder to know what was happening up in the air than on the ground; less sounds to work with. And he wasn't going to risk himself by sitting on top of his Pokemon while it was mid-battle. But he had a solution for that.

His shoes squeaked against the pavement as he made his way to his next battle. He was sweating a bit from the weather and all the running around he'd been doing - maybe he could grab something cool after his battle.

He entered the arena - guided along by a Beheeyem. Normally, he would've had his Rotomdex helping him here, but the nature of this battle meant he was going to need a bit more precise help.

"Hey!" Hideo said, immediately knowing there was someone on the other side of the arena courtesy of his Beheeyem's Telepathy. "Laurence, right?"

He waved to the man. "I'm Hideo, and I'm your opponent for this battle! So, uh, my Beheeyem isn't going to be your opponent for this. He's just gonna help me 'cause I can't see."

He took a Pokeball out of his pocket, pressing the center button and letting out his actual choice: an almost-ten-foot-tall Drampa. "Gramps here is gonna be who I'm using. My Beheeyem will just tell me what's going on so I know what to do. That alright?"

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
up in the clouds [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2021 4:27:05 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He was in the middle of finishing the lime-flavored snow cone when he heard his—his birth name—holy shit when didn’t he register using his preferred name, what the hell—called from across the arena.

Looking up from the discarded paper cone, he then grabbed a blueberry-flavored snow cone for himself before nabbing a strawberry-flavored one as well for his cha—

Holy shit.

That was one giant Drampa.

“A dragon showdown, then. I wouldn’t mind that,” he said with a hint of a grin. “And please, call me Lars,” he added a few moments afterward, and then proceeding to offer the strawberry-flavored snow cone to the young boy.

“Do you like snow cones? I got too many so… have one.”

Turning around, he then gave a sharp whistle—which woke up the Altaria from the shade. The fluffy bird then took off from her comfortable position before facing the—gigantic Drampa.

“Shall we?” he went on as the Altaria took her position up in the clouds, ready to scrap.

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,442 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
up in the clouds [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2021 12:57:25 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo didn’t hear an objection from his opponent, so Elga’s presence would probably be fine.

He didn’t know exactly what Pokemon his opponent was using - the best he could guess was another dragon-type based on what LaurenceLars said. Elga’s Telepathy informed him it was smaller than Gramps, yet just as fluffy, but that didn’t lead Hideo to any conclusions. Maybe he could find out after this match - and feel just how fluffy Lars’ dragon was.

But more important than that: snow cones.

Oh, yeah!” Hideo said, “I could use a snow cone!” He reached out, and his hand would’ve completely missed Lars’ had Elga not redirected him, the only hint being one of the buttons on the Beheeyem’s hands lighting up for just a moment.

It was enough for Hideo to find the snowcone easily, even through closed, blind eyes. He quickly took a bite out of the snowcone, quickly noting the strawberry flavoring. Nice! “Thanks, Lars!” he exclaimed, not hesitating to take out another bite.

His Drampa lightly tapped him on the side with his head, reminding the boy of the upcoming fight. “Oh, right,” Hideo said, “Gramps, get up there. And keep yourself safe, alright?

His Drampa smiled, nuzzling the boy on the top of his head (messing up Hideo’s hair), before flying up into the sky. The moment he was up with the clouds, he took the first move - as Hideo had ordered - erecting a Light Screen around his body.

Drampa used Light Screen
Light Screen:  1/5

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
up in the clouds [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2021 16:56:35 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He was pleased the other took the snow cone and took several hearty bites out of it. Taking another bite out of the one he was working on, the Altaria finally faced off against the other Dragon-type in the air.

“Well, Nami, show me what you can do,” he said, watching (and eating) as the Altaria hummed for a few moments before inhaling.

It was like she was bracing for something—a few moments later it became apparent as the lunar energy gathering around her manifested itself in a—

“Straight away?” he said with a chuckle as he took another bite out of the snow cone, watching as his Altaria chucked a Moonblast at the Drampa across the skies.

Altaria used Moonblast!

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,442 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
up in the clouds [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2021 23:17:49 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
While Hideo considered himself pretty good at pinpointing stuff in an area around him just by sound, things a good distance away were very difficult for him to differentiate, especially when that distance was vertical. He knew his Drampa and his opponent's Pokemon flew up in the air, but he had no idea just how high they were. Best he could do was just guess the general direction he was hearing stuff and hope someone else could deal with it for him.

Good thing Elga could do that for him.

Granted, it's not like he could do all that much about the oncoming attack; the blast of light hit Gramps, though the Light Screen deflected most of the damage. And as slow as Gramps could be, he was a tough one, not even wincing as he was struck.

"Get 'em back, Gramps!" Hideo ordered, a chunk of snowcone melting in his mouth. It was unlikely that his Drampa would hear him from up high, but his Beheeyem relayed the message telepathically, his hands blinking as he gave the vague order.

Which a wave of his head and a low grumble, Gramps sent a flurry of Razor Wind at his opponent.

Drampa was hit by the Moon Blast
Drampa used Razor Wind

Light Screen: 2/5

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
up in the clouds [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2021 5:21:40 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The Razor Wind attack buffeted the Altaria through the updrafts, before the humming Pokémon let out a noise of dismay.

“Don’t get too reckless!” he called out, before the literal living cloud hummed in approval and began to ‘generate’ more defensive fluff—bolstering her body with a Cotton Guard to brace herself for whatever would come next.

The Altaria looked much fluffier than it did earlier, waiting for its next move.

Altaria gets hit by Razor Wind! Altaria then used Cotton Guard to boost defenses (Def + 3)!

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,442 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
up in the clouds [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2021 23:55:15 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo awaited the result of his opponent’s command, and his Beheeyem soon informed him that the opposing Pokemon had...gotten fluffier.

The urge to pet this Pokemon only grew, but he was able to hold it back. For now. Maybe after the battle was over.

Keep it up, Gramps!” Hideo shouted, “Get through that fluff!” His Drampa took that as an order to use a more obscure attack; his body glowed bright gold, and soon he fired a golden beam of light from his mouth, the Extrasensory headed straight for the center of that mass of fluff.

Drampa used Extrasensory
Light Screen: 3/5

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
up in the clouds [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 16, 2021 3:50:50 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

As fluffy as she was, there was something about the incoming Extrasensory that the Altaria picked up on a little too late.

Forced backwards, the fluffier cloud then huffed a few moments, before humming again. There was another way out of this. Regaining her balance, she maintained her position before this time gathering the energy in her mouth in a deep breath.

A few seconds later, a blast of arctic energy came soaring from the Altaria’s direction, her moving her head in a side-to-side motion to cover the Ice Beam over a wider area instead of just focusing on one direction.

Altaria takes the Extrasensory and is forced backwards, before recovering and firing off a sweeping-version of Ice Beam!

** applying the avatar perk to Ice Beam attack, increased chance to freeze!

6qU1I3hd
(1 - 20: chance to freeze [up from 1 - 10])

(def + 3 from earlier Cotton Guard)

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,442 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
up in the clouds [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 16, 2021 19:37:56 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
His attack hit, even sending his opponent back a bit. But it wasn’t enough to end the match there, and sure enough, the Altaria fired off another attack. Gramps tried to avoid it, but the sweeping beam struck his side. The Light Screen lessened the impact, but it still landed enough of a hit that a decent part of his body was frozen in ice; not enough to stop him, but definitely enough to slow him down.

To his fortune, there was a solution to this. “Hit him with something loud, Gramps!” Hideo ordered - an order that was much less subtle than it may have sounded.

Gramps opened his mouth wide, letting out a mighty roar. The shockwave from his Hyper Voice headed straight for the Altaria - while the shockwave also began to crack the ice around the Drampa’s body.

Drampa was hit by Ice Beam
Drampa was (partially) frozen
Drampa used Hyper Voice
Light Screen: 4/5
Drampa is (partially) frozen

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
up in the clouds [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 19, 2021 6:03:30 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

A loud shout cut across the space, and it made the Altaria cringe for a few moments—the ol’ grandpa dragon across from her was giving her a hard time, indeed.

However, the sight of partially-frozen Drampa wings spurred her on. Taking the attack as she righted her course once more, this also happened to be the time Lars looked up, and all he had to do was tilt his head to one side, then forward.

Taking another deep breath, the Altaria fired off a second Ice Beam attack, capitalizing on the fact that the Drampa was partially slowed down—now the question was would the bigger Pokémon come crashing down afterward?

Altaria takes the Hyper Voice and almost gets knocked out of the air, but soldiers on and used another Ice Beam attack!

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,442 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
up in the clouds [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 19, 2021 23:22:11 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
The Hyper Voice hit its mark, and it seemed like their opponent's strength was waning, but the battle wasn't over yet. It fired another Ice Beam at Gramps, who was too encumbered to get out of the way, more of his body being frozen.

It was only due to his Light Screen that the attacks didn't knock him out, but with so much of his body being frozen, it was weighing him down. Steadily, he began to drop.

But Hideo wouldn't let the battle end there. "Gramps! Go up high! And bring them down with you!"

The Drampa opened his eyes wide as he exerted him body, Flying back up into the clouds. In a moment, he was going to come back down into the Altaria - and he was planning to take his opponent all the way back down to the ground.

Drampa was hit by Ice Beam
Drampa used Fly

Light Screen: 5/5 (Light Screen wears off)
Drampa is (more-partially) frozen

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
up in the clouds [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2021 18:15:33 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Even if the Drampa was encumbered with a half-frozen body, the ol’ grandpa dragon was very persistent! The Altaria looked at her opponent for a few minutes, confused; before it suddenly took off and literally flung its body as high as it would go—

“Oh boy,” was all Lars could say as he squinted into the clouds where the Drampa had vanished off to.

“Nami! Be careful!” was all the warning he would give, before the Altaria turned to face the heavens and gathered lunar energy from within; wanting to meet the Drampa head-on when it came crashing down—

With a surprise Moonblast attack!

6_FTmVvA

Altaria watches the Drampa vanish, before looking skyward and hoping to catch it with a surprise Moonblast attack on its way down!

completed endeavor: inflict freeze!

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,442 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
up in the clouds [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2021 19:11:20 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
He went up high, up into the clouds. He was ready to come down on the Altaria, all the way to the ground - but then that Moonbeam came. And it struck just as his Light Screen wore off.

Combined with how much he’d strained himself flying despite his quite-frozen body...that was it for him. The attack had the decency to at least break the ice around him, but he blacked out, beginning a very rapid descent.

Hideo was informed of this pretty quickly - and realized he had to act fast before there was a Drampa-sized crater. He dug through his pocket, taking out Gramps’ Pokeball. Unfortunately, it was pretty hard for a blind kid to know when his massive dragon fell close enough.

Fortunately, his Beheeyem was able to pick up the slack, Psychically aiming Hideo’s hand and even pressing the button for him. The Drampa was drawn back in, leaving the arena impact-free.

Hideo sighed. “Well, guess that’s a loss for me.” No helping it; just didn’t turn out the way he hoped. “It was a good match.

There was a brief moment when Hideo considered whether to go through his previous desire, and after a moment of deliberation, he made his choice.

Hey...is it alright if I pet your Pokemon? Elga here’s saying it’s really fluffy, and I want to find out how fluffy that is.

Drampa was hit by Moon Blast
Drampa fainted.

bouzIGDn

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,796 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
up in the clouds [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jul 21, 2021 18:42:03 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Thankfully there was no Drampa-sized crater as he saw a red beam of light catch the ol’ grandpa dragon before it could crash-land in the sand.

At the same time, the Altaria came hovering downward, still puffed-up but looking rather tired. Lars then reached out to give her a pat on the head.

“Normally, she doesn’t fight,” he explained as he grabbed another snow cone and began eating it—a Fuzzy Navel flavored one. “However it’s a surprise she can actually hold her own. You see… she was my sister’s Pokémon before I got her…”

And then the strange request—well, it wasn’t strange, now that the fight was over.

“You haven’t encountered an Altaria before, have you?” he asked as he tilted his head curiously. Nami, at his nod, then hovered as close to the young man as possible, allowing him to pat her fluffy plumage.

“They’re literal sweethearts, the Altaria line. Plus their songs can help calm down fussy baby Pokémon, too.”

go ahead and pat her! She very very soft