awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
follia [s][c]
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2021 20:56:59 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Knowing that the other couldn’t be trusted with directions whenever she went too far inland, Lars decided to come knocking on the Lilycove Harbor to see if a certain Captain was available.

Since getting all of them together was going to prove rather difficult, he decided to seek them all out one by one.

And since Skyler was the only one available today—

“Trust me, this’ll be quick. I even got this new tequila I want to try out. I know you like tequila, so…” were the magic words he used.

Eventually, they would arrive at his flat in Verdanturf via Lynette’s Teleport express.

Once they were inside, he then closed the door behind them.

“Knock yourself out,” he gestured to the couch that was facing a modestly-sized flat screen television. “And sorry if my place is small. I don’t think it can hold more than five people at a time, tops. It’s literally a bachelor pad, after all.”

And then, for some reason, he who completely sucked at kitchen work—was in the kitchen?!

If there was one thing he was absolutely certain he could make, it was this.

Authentic, original, un-bastardized Alto Marean carbonara (complete with matching fancy pronunciation and all).

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
how bold I was, could be - will be - still am
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
follia [s][c]
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2021 21:51:28 GMT
skyler dross Avatar
[attr="class","skycaptain"]

Teleporting wasn't high on Skyler's list of most pleasant methods of transportation; she'd never gotten used to the sudden twist in her belly, the sensation of being displaced only to be spat out in an entirely new location. Usually that beat the inumerable hours she'd spent confusedly attempting to orient herself between tall, shaded trees - but only just.

Especially when, upon arriving at Verdanturf, her stomach decides to fold in on itself, causing bile to climb up her throat without warning. It makes taking in the sights more difficult; and even the renowed Verdanturf oxygen (which is apparently top quality) doesn't seem to be helping much.

But at least there's tequila, so everything's alright in the world.

Skyler finds herself lounging on the couch in a small bachelor's apartment while Lars goes busy himself in the - kitchen? What in Arceus' name...? The foreign lethargy that seems to have taken over her muscles goes ignored as curiosity has the captain following  Lars' footsteps and into the kitchen proper. A strangely familiar smell waffles up to her nose, and she can't help but creep closer until silver eyes are peeking down from over 's shoulder.

"Lars, you're - cooking? I didn't know you could cook."

By now she's half convinced she's actually in a fever dream.

[newclass=.skycaptain] [/newclass]
[newclass=.skycaptain b] color: #6592A0;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skycaptain i] color: #6592A0;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skycaptain u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #6592A0;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
follia [s][c]
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2021 21:58:32 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“It’s the only shit I can reasonably cook without causing an international incident,” he remarked as he was now busy sweating the guanciale in a heavy-duty frying pan, letting the cured pork jowl cook and bubble.

“That’s it. Anything else that isn’t carbonara I either somehow fuck up or it ends up in the garbage.”

Wandering over to the pot that had boiling water that was salted the fuck out of its mind (the recipe did call for water that was salato come il mare or as salty as the damn fucking sea) he then reached for the noodle package and pulled out—

“How much do you think you can eat?” he asked her, deciding to dump in the entire contents of the pasta box into the water anyway before moving it around and returning to the guanciale that was now sizzling just where he needed it to be.

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
follia [s][c]
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2021 9:01:52 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

"That sounds about right." Despite her words, doubt creeps up her expression as she peers down at the pans and pots. She's heard enough stories about Lars' cooking adventures (if you can call burning the kitchen down an adventure, that is) to be suspicious of whatever's happening in front of her right now.

At least if anything happens she has plenty of water types on hand. It's one of the reasons why the Sotally Tober is still standing today. 

Thankfully her stomach seems to have settled from the whole teleportation business. A delicious smell slowly permeates the kitchen as cured meat starts to sizzle, bringing a confused frown to Skyler's face. There's something weirdly familiar about it - but the the why eludes her scrambling brain.

While Lars is busy pouring the entire contents of a pasta box into the water - "I'm pretty sure that's enough for both of us, spiky." - the captain leans in to study the pan.

If she were at home, Sammy would already be grumbling up at her and all but shoving her out of the kitchen under the amused gaze of a certain ship cook/pilot.

And then it hits her.

"Lars, have you and Angelo ever traded recipes?"

[newclass=.skycaptain u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #6592A0;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
follia [s][c]
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2021 15:55:31 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

While Lars was busy stirring the pasta in the big pot, the fire on the other side was turned off—and now all that was left was the sizzling, fragrant guanciale in the pan.

Once the pasta noodles looked ‘done’ enough (hell, he had to grab one piece and taste it; much as he was tempted to throw it against the wall he didn’t want to come off as a complete idiot in front of someone else) he then began scooping up the pasta and adding it to the pan.

“Hm?” he asked, curious, as he reached over for the smaller bowl that had the infamous ‘egg slurry’ waiting and then combining it all together as quickly as he could.

“Not that I know of. Why do you ask if I’ve traded recipes with Angelo? This was taught to me by my nonna, and shit she was very particular about the guanciale and the Pecorino cheese.”

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
follia [s][c]
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2021 18:04:59 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

"Because I'm pretty sure this is how he cooks it." Despite the fact that Skyler is, in no uncertain terms, unwelcome in the Sotally Tober's kitchen (mostly due to a certain Gulpin sous-chef) she often drapes herself over one of the chairs while cooks. Not only does it let her steal a snack before dinner, but it also allows her to appreciate her husband's behind while he isn't looking.

And sometimes when he is.

Either way, the scent that makes its way to her nose now is equal parts unmistakable and mouth-watering. "Y'know, Angelo cooks a lot of pasta dishes. Something about Alto Marean cuisine." Skyler reaches out to grab a string of spaghetti, hissing when it burns her fingers. She eats it anyway, if only to show it who's boss. Mmm, yum. "This is one of my favorites." 

Her statement is reflected in the greedy way she stares at the prepared meal, all but ready to forgo manners and eat it right out of the pan. It's almost regretfully that she opens a random cabinet, frowning.

"Maybe you use the same Parcoli cheese or Guacia or whatever. Ah - where do you keep the dishes?" 

A pause.

"And the tequila?" 

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
follia [s][c]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2021 1:24:35 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Oh? He’s from there too?”

His eyebrows go up as he’s mixing the dish together—and much tempted as he is to swat her for grabbing a stray pasta noodle and sampling it before they can settle down and properly eat, she’s already absconded with it.

Then she started poking around the cabinets.

“Silly, it’s not in the cabinets. Get your ass seated down at the table over there and I’ll get the stuff ready, shouldn’t take too long.”

Once he’s certain she’d seated herself at the small table where not too long ago he shared a breakfast with his asshat younger brother, he then plated said pasta on a serving bowl before grabbing two dishes, two forks, two shot glasses…

After setting those down on the table, he chuckled.

“Yeah, yeah, give me a bit,” he said as he returned to the fridge and grabbed the tequila from inside it, still unopened and pristinely sealed. Cheating a little bit, he hoped he wouldn’t mind as he slightly touched the bottle to help it chill faster before returning to said table.

“Well, here it is.”

Another bottle of the finest anejo tequila—reminiscent of the ones he’d bought during the third night of the tourney. Only this time, it was just the two of them instead of an entire bar full of rowdy patrons.

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
follia [s][c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2021 17:36:39 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

Lars' question goes unanswered, at least at first. Skyler is too busy being bossed around by her spiky best friend - and while her rebellious nature instinctually rises up and her lips part to say something undoubtedly insolent, the way her stomach growls makes her rethink her priorities.

Carbonara has no business smelling this good.

The sailor instead sinks into the chair with a heavy sigh, dismissing the creeping exhaustion that lodges in her muscles. She'd been working hard lately, she reasons, taking more contracts than what was probably healthy. But grim as it might be, war brings business. Skyler would sooner face a horde of ghosts than let these opportunities slip through her fingers. Not only that, but her work had become laughably easy since... Since a certain event.

There's a lot you can do when you don't have to rely on scuba gear.

Silver gleams as she catches sight of a tequila bottle, its side frozen where Lars has grabbed it. An amused snort escapes her. "Does Arti know you're using its powers to freeze tequila bottles?" Despite her words, satisfaction bleeds into her voice. She'd been too drunk to be able to properly taste the anejo back at the rowdy tavern, but now...

Manners stand no chance in the face of a hungry Skyler Dross. Shot glasses are filled to the brim and she pushes one in Lars' direction. Her own is raised. "To survivin'!" 

The blessedly cold liquid has barely had time to slide down her throat when the captain all but shoves a forkful of pasta into her mouth. 

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
follia [s][c]
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2021 3:52:55 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Pfft, they know I drink a lot. Plus my hands are always cold. An unplanned, but very useful side-effect,” he said with a snort as the bottle frosted over—enough to be ice-cold, but not enough to be like those ‘frozen beers’ he’d seen around some of the not-so-high end bars he would visit while looking for a certain lager.

Once the shot glasses were filled to the brim, he returned the salute before downing his in one go. There went the liquid courage.

After topping his shot glass up with another serving, he then turned his attention to the good ol’ sea captain once again.

After downing several forkfuls of carbonara, he then turned the topic to—

“Were you at Sootpolis when shit went down?”

Straight to the point, nothing else to it.

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
follia [s][c]
POSTED ON Sept 12, 2021 13:43:17 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

"How come you can't cook? Shit, this is good pasta, spiky - have you been lying to me?" She speaks around a mouthful of pasta, humming in pleasure as the carbonara is all but wolfed down with a full and complete disregard for good manners. Ice cold tequila contrasts nicely with the carbonara's spice, and before she knows it both her and Lars have knocked down at least half the bottle.

Hence she's feeling relaxed (and strangely tired) when the Head Ranger's question hits her like a freight train. Her fork clatters down onto the bowl without her meaning to, silver eyes flying to meet with Lars' own.

"Yeah, I was." She hadn't seen much of what had transpired in the city proper, much too busy being eaten by a legendary whale. "Wait - were you there too?!"

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
follia [s][c]
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2021 19:56:43 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Anything that isn’t pasta, especially carbonara,” he trailed off as he took another shot before returning to the topic at hand, “…I fuck up. Regally. Like, the only useful thing my nonna back in Alto Mare taught me was how to cook pasta. Anything else is like, ‘haha, fuck me sideways I can’t fucking cook’.”

After a few more forkfuls of carbonara disappeared, he then looked up at her reaction. The clattering fork was not missed, either.

“Yeah. I was there, too,” he began quietly. “Originally I was dealing with some paperwork for the guesthouse over there, but then shit happened,” he remarked.

And then, he realized that there was an opening.

“Did—did you hear something? Like, calling from somewhere? D’you—d’you remember the time we were accidentally warped into what I think was outer space?”

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
follia [s][c]
POSTED ON Sept 15, 2021 14:11:46 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

Skyler remembers the strange journey through time they'd undergone last year after the Three Day War. She'd chalked it up to post-war stress at first, but then rumors started circulating that other people had gone through the same experience and - of course, she'd confirmed it when she'd talked to Lars.

"What d'you mean, a call? I do remember the dream and being in space, but what does it have to do with Sootopolis?" She'd all but ignored the floating city once she'd been spewed out of the Cave of Origins, other things taking precedence. Like a formidable, primal ocean deity chasing after her.

"I don't think I can help you much there. Wasn't paying too much attention." Skyler had never been one to beat around the bush, and she probably wouldn't start now. "Kinda preoccupied getting eaten by a whale." 

She punctuates the sentence with a forkful of carbonara and a whole shot of ice-cold tequila. 

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
follia [s][c]
POSTED ON Sept 22, 2021 16:56:46 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“You didn’t hear it?” he continued, his brows furrowed. “Everyone who was at least outside, heard it. It was calling for… something, I guess.”

He couldn’t properly describe what it was, but it definitely didn’t look like the other Pokémon they’d encountered while falling through space.

“Everyone else who was out in the city proper heard it—and this was during the time the city was shifting around like a gigantic game of Tetris,” he added as he poured himself another shot.

However, the mention of being swallowed by a—

“You—you got eaten by—” he stammered, almost dropping the fork on his own plate as he blinked at her.

close tab

played by

owli

dross, captain
she, her
august 17
Lilycove, Hoenn
bisexual
sailor / treasure hunter
nautica owner
awards
2,345 posts
skyler dross DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @skyler
skyler dross
follia [s][c]
POSTED ON Sept 26, 2021 13:02:04 GMT
skyler dross Avatar

"That might explain it. I might've been inside the Cave of Origin - y'know, that one at the base of the city - when you heard it." She'd been a little too busy casually conversing with a certain Rocket Boss and brokering a deal of sorts when they'd been interrupted. She was still waiting for Walsh to just materialize into existence in the Sotally Tober one of these days. "So I missed most of what happened, 'm afraid." A pause. "I did see the floating bits of Sootopolis... D'you think it might've been a Rocket thing?" If so, things were not looking too good for the League.

Briefly, a pang of alarm jolts through her at the thought of the very same thing happening to Lilycove. Her home.

"Ah - yeah." Thankfully the column of water that had risen in Kyogre's wake had all but hidden her demise from most peering eyes. Only Angelo, Razz and Locke had been privy to her getting eaten by the legendary. "Did you see that giant water spout rising in the middle of Sootopolis? It, err, might've been kinda my fault?" After all, she'd been the one to wake Kyogre from its nap.

She rolls her shoulders back, a frown stealing over her expression for a sliver of time at the ache within her muscles. Weird, she hadn't physically strained herself anymore than usual...

"But yeah, it ate me."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
follia [s][c]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2021 20:43:54 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“If it was the work of Rocket, I’d definitely say not so—because I was in battle against these two,” he said quietly as he picked up his PokéGear where he left it.

Flicking through the menus, he then found the holographic display and then brought up the very same information that he’d showed very recently.

“I was stuck in battle with these two,” he remarked shortly as the holographic displays of a strangely-colored Lugia; and the nightmare harbinger (Darkrai, but he didn’t know what it was called).

“The roar that I heard was definitely different and didn’t come from these two.”

At the mention of the water spout, he shuddered. And when she mentioned the—

“How—Sky, idiota, how the hell did a water spout eat you? How did you not drown?!”