thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
lower than i thought we'd go, why'd the guilt spread so slow?
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
atlantic
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2021 15:22:57 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
a couple of hours together on a boat with nothing to do but keep watch — what could go wrong?

not much, to be honest, as they're both far too experienced to be assigned to something so mundane as this, but it'll definitely be interesting to see what happens. it's been at least a week since lia's first day, since they've last spent time alone together, so he's looking forward to it.

even if he hasn't said so.

finishing his part of the preparations, he turns to look at her after.

"all good?"
close tab

played by

Azul

Lia
She/Her
March 30th
Petalburg City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Historian / Explorer
League Archivist
I can and I will. Watch me.
awards
655 posts
Amelia Livy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lia
Amelia Livy
atlantic
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2021 15:58:01 GMT
Amelia Livy Avatar
Even in a region like Hoenn summer heat eventually fades into a colder autumn, and with it, Corsola seem to migrate to warmer waters. Lia had only heard of things like those passingly before the mission was assigned to her, but as expected, becoming a ranger seems to come with learning a lot about pokémon behaviour.

It was a week ago that her training began, and here she is now: clad in a white bikini with her elbows on the gunnel of a boat as she watches the water, her head resting in her hands. Even for the end of summer, it’s a warm day, and the mission specifications said they might have to go in the water. Honestly, it sounds more like a nice day on a boat than anything potentially dangerous, but she may just think that because of who she’s with today…

”Hm? Yeah.”

She turns to look at Lance and offers a soft smile, having already finished her preparations.

They haven’t really spent any time alone together since her first day, have they? Is that why she feels a little bit nervous, or is it just about the mission?

”I don’t really have any water type pokémon, though. Will that be okay?”

Her Decidueye is perched nearby, also on the gunnel, keeping an eye on both of them.

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
atlantic
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2021 17:00:34 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
honestly, her outfit is appropriate for the mission, but he still finds her distracting enough that he catches himself looking over a few times.

he returns a smile of his own that lingers even through his next question, which he asks to serve as a reminder.

"have you started looking for more pokemon for your team?"

but to answer her question, he turns, then gestures to the little mantyke suctioned over his upper back.

a pokeball is pulled out of his pocket and tossed her way.

"here. just in case you need one later. it's an azumarill and her name is wabbit."
close tab

played by

Azul

Lia
She/Her
March 30th
Petalburg City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Historian / Explorer
League Archivist
awards
655 posts
Amelia Livy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lia
Amelia Livy
atlantic
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2021 17:31:11 GMT
Amelia Livy Avatar
’Have you started looking for more pokemon for your team?’

The question is met with a pout, even though she knows Lance is right: she should catch more pokémon and add some variety to her team, but it’s only been a week and training has left her exhausted for most days of that week. It also doesn’t help that Lia is picky about those things.

But, she shouldn’t give excuses, right?

”I have…”

She leaves it at that.

There’s no time to add much else anyway, since she soon finds herself catching the pokéball he tosses at her.

An Azumarill.

Wabbit? Really?”

An eyebrow is raised when she questions the pokémon’s name, and she smirks then. Her tone is perhaps a little too teasing, but who could blame her when ‘Wabbit’ is such an adorable name?

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
atlantic
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2021 18:39:52 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
has she really? for whatever reason, he doubts she's put much time into catching new pokemon, because he knows how tiring work and training can be.

so he doesn't press any further than he already has. he simply nods, leaving it at that as well.

at her question, his eyes narrow slightly, defensive.

"what's wrong with wabbit?"

nothing, but here she is questioning him.

"please share your thoughts, cadet."
close tab

played by

Azul

Lia
She/Her
March 30th
Petalburg City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Historian / Explorer
League Archivist
awards
655 posts
Amelia Livy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lia
Amelia Livy
atlantic
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2021 18:55:37 GMT
Amelia Livy Avatar
It’s a little surprising to see him get defensive about the name, as if he’s offended that she dared question him. He may try to act serious, to impose his authority by calling her ‘cadet’, but how could that ever work when the lines are already so blurred between them? His reaction just ends up seeming really cute to Lia, and she can’t help but chuckle before giving him his answer:

”Nothing’s wrong with it, captain. I just think it’s adorable. I didn’t expect that from you.”

She’s honest, because she has no reason not to be, and when she meets his gaze, her smirk lingers.

”It’s also cute to hear you say Wabbit.”

Is that enough teasing? Probably.

He’s still her captain, despite everything, and they’re still on an official mission as rangers.

So, her gaze is pulled away from his in order to look at the water, watching the waves.

”Where are the corsola headed, by the way?”

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
atlantic
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2021 19:06:15 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
whatever authority he has doesn't really exist between them. he knows this and yet he tries it anyway, perhaps too foolish for his own good.

"it's what?"

cute.

her tease is met with the slight flush of his cheeks. naturally, he looks away, finding distractions in starting the boat and setting sail.

"it almost sounds like you don't think i'm adorable."

or at least capable of being adorable.

"further south. they'll likely end up along route one-two-nine."
close tab

played by

Azul

Lia
She/Her
March 30th
Petalburg City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Historian / Explorer
League Archivist
awards
655 posts
Amelia Livy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lia
Amelia Livy
atlantic
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2021 19:50:56 GMT
Amelia Livy Avatar
He’s blushing.

This time, outside, under the sunlight, she can see it clearly, and it’s really way too adorable to ignore it.

It’s why his next words are wrong, because truly, despite the fact that he teases her and makes her blush too, there are things he has done that she finds as endearing as they’re cute. Sometimes, she finds herself thinking about them. Probably much more than what she should have during this last week among Lilycove’s rangers (considering that she shouldn’t have thought about them at all, that is).

”Hmm… That’s not true, though. I think you can be really adorable.”

Maybe it’s for his sake, maybe it’s for hers, but she looks at the water instead of at him when giving this answer. Maybe it’s because she smiles, and because her cheeks are also just so slightly flushed.

”One-two-nine is near Ever Grande, right? I’ve never been good with the water routes…”

Once again, no water pokémon.

Truly, Lia would rather fly than travel by boat, but this also isn’t so bad, is it?

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
atlantic
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2021 19:55:55 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
it's a good thing they're both not looking at each other. his gaze soon follows hers out to the water, watching it roll and part as their boat travels. it's easier to hide how his cheeks are also slightly flushed, and they only seem to darken at her words.

"yeah? you think so?"

he leans into his seat as he keeps a steady hand over the steering wheel.

"it is. ever grande is to the east of it."

it's only then that he sighs, realizing he should play the part of ranger captain a bit more.

"you should start to learn the routes a bit more. i won't always be there to guide you."
close tab

played by

Azul

Lia
She/Her
March 30th
Petalburg City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Historian / Explorer
League Archivist
awards
655 posts
Amelia Livy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lia
Amelia Livy
atlantic
POSTED ON Sept 22, 2021 3:31:04 GMT
Amelia Livy Avatar
Is this the way things will continue to be between them, or is it just because the memories of Lavaridge linger and because this is fun and new?

Lia wonders about this as she watches the waves pass by, a hand reaching to gently scratch the feathers at her Decidueye’s chest, manicured fingers digging into the soft and dense plumage.

”Mhmm… I do.”

There’s a quiet chuckle with her words, knowing well she would have never said them as easily if she had been looking at him when doing so. Her cheeks feel warm, and it’s definitely not just the effect of the late summer sun.

Perhaps she should be thankful that the conversation shifts to the water routes, even if his comment makes her sigh and pout.

”I know… I’m fine with the other routes, but it’s hard to remember things when it’s just water all around. It gets confusing.”

It’s probably because she hasn’t spent much time traveling through the water routes, but instead of explaining this, she simply turns to look at him, a soft smile on her lips:

”I’m glad you’re here to guide me though.”

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
atlantic
POSTED ON Sept 22, 2021 5:36:19 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
lance, of all people, understands how confusing some of the routes can be as he's not even from this region. he's had to learn and adapt pretty quickly, but he's always been in tune with the wilderness.

still, he relates.

"it was pretty confusing for me, too. what helped me was spending more time out here and also seeing it from up there."

he points up to the fluffy clouds that float above them.

"you'll become more familiar with it eventually, i'm sure."

with a smile, he meets her gaze, hesitating only for a brief moment before nodding.

"...i'm glad, too."
close tab

played by

Azul

Lia
She/Her
March 30th
Petalburg City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Historian / Explorer
League Archivist
awards
655 posts
Amelia Livy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lia
Amelia Livy
atlantic
POSTED ON Sept 22, 2021 6:23:20 GMT
Amelia Livy Avatar
Lia has spent more time looking at maps than actually exploring the world around her, and she knows that is something she knows needs to change. What’s clear on paper can often be much different when looking at it in person, and while a map of the water routes may make sense in her head, when standing on this boat it all just looks like an eternity of blue so endless that it’s kind of disconcerting.

At least there’s slight reassurance in the fact that he relates, and when he points up above, she looks at the skies, considering.

”Oh. Yeah, I guess that’d help… I might bring my Pidgeot around sometime – I like flying.”

The words come casually, and her smile remains when hearing his next reply. She doesn't look away.

Is he really glad?

She hopes as much.

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
atlantic
POSTED ON Sept 22, 2021 7:56:30 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
"it's actually not too difficult once you get a bird's eye view of the routes. they are pretty discernible."

that, along with knowing directions, makes navigating the water routes much simpler.

"we can fly together sometime."

maybe even after this mission.

his gaze, along with a genuine smile, remains as he's yet to look away.

after a brief moment, he asks:

"how are the corsola doing?"
close tab

played by

Azul

Lia
She/Her
March 30th
Petalburg City, Hoenn
Bisexual
Historian / Explorer
League Archivist
awards
655 posts
Amelia Livy DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lia
Amelia Livy
atlantic
POSTED ON Sept 22, 2021 8:53:01 GMT
Amelia Livy Avatar
’We can fly together sometime.’

A vague promise of something that may never happen, and yet, it sounds nice, even if it makes Lia wonder about the reasons why he would want to go through all that trouble for her sake.

Is it the kind of thing he would do for all cadets, or the kind of thing he’d do just for her? Apparently, there’s a difference, as he had pointed out clearly on her first day…

”Sure, I’d like that.”

He turns away, and she watches him, only returning her attention to the water when he asks about the Corsola.

Right. The Corsola.

How could she let herself get so easily distracted?

Looking over the side of the boat, Lia squints at the water in search for signs of the small group of Coral Pokémon.

”They seem fine so far. Are you sure we shouldn’t have a pokémon in the water with them, though? ...Or would that spook them or something?”

It would probably help if they had a way to keep an eye on things underwater, wouldn't it?

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,423 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
atlantic
POSTED ON Sept 22, 2021 9:51:40 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
it isn't a vague promise, or at least it isn't to him. the thought of flying with her, of showing her the difference between the routes, excites him. up there, it'll just be the two of them and no one else.

much like how it is on this boat right now.

"we just left the docks so they should be fine for now, but once we hit route one-two-six we should definitely have a pokemon out with them."

his eyes drift to her attire.

"unless you want to jump in, seeing how you're already dressed for it."