one and a half people

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
one and a half people
POSTED ON Nov 28, 2021 4:39:00 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"Hoooold.... hoooooold..... hoooold....."

From a bush across the way from the Ranger's office, Vicki peered out through a small telescope. She was watching the door closely, waiting for her chance to sneak in. Rangers came in and out, so she focused her eyepiece on them, looking at the uniforms and wondering where they would be going.

"Huh?"

Movement caught her eye as someone stormed outside. That was... ? She hadn't seen him in a long time! Where had he been? And his face... oh, it was super scary! He looked mad! That wasn't the main thing that caught her attention, though...

"Hey!" Bursting from her hedge hideaway, Vicki bounced over to the man, trying to grab onto him. No personal space! "Stinky Orion! I missed you!" She pouted up at him before breaking out into a wide grin. She tried to clap him on the side where he was missing his arm. "And look! You get to be a cool cyborg, too!"
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
i'll wreck this if i have to; tell me, what good would that do?
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
one and a half people
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2021 8:36:19 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
He is not the man she remembers.

He is a void occupying a vessel who was once one of the most powerful men in Hoenn. Yet it's not for his seat on the Council that Orion pines but for the life he'd had before that — a life he'd hoped to slip on like an old glove.

The door to the Ranger outpost in Fortree slams closed.

"Fuck off."

Such words are muttered moments before his personal space is shamelessly invaded.

He stiffens at the contact, which is normal. He scowls at her, which is not.

"I'm not in the mood, Vicki."

He tries to insert his good arm between them to force her back a few steps. This, too, would have been easier with both his hands. Everything is a reminder of what he's lost, even when it's not so blatant as the child in front of him.

@vicki
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
one and a half people
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2021 8:43:55 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Most people with sense would see someone was all riled up and try to be a little gentler, but not Vicki. She just snorts and rolls her eyes at 's prodding and puffing. She does take a step or two back but he just places a fist on her hip before reaching out to poke at his chest.

"And I'm not in the mood to be treated so cold when I missed you, stinky!" Show blows a raspberry at him before pouting, an over exaggerated thing meant to garner sympathy. Her puppy dog eyes might even work on people who don't know her as well as Orion does.

"They slurpify all the nice out of you when your arm went AWOL?"
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
one and a half people
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2021 8:53:45 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
Predictably, the puppy-dog eyes don't work.

"About the time someone held me down and cut it off, yeah."

It's not light. It's not joking. It's bitter and cold and he's hurting.

She's a kid. He shouldn't be so blunt with her, but she shouldn't be invading his personal space despite his obvious desire to be left alone.

He brushes her hand away and makes to walk past her, toward his house.

@vicki
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
one and a half people
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2021 8:59:53 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Vicki places a hand on her chest in false indignation, like one might if they were clutching their proverbial pearls. She's too young to really understand the gravity of his words, but it sounds like he got royally messed up. Someone cut it off? It wasn't an accident? Damn.

She follows after him, crossing her eyes and opening her closing her hand to wordlessly 'parrot' back what he just said.

"Well I didn't like being trapped under a tree for three days, but I'm not being extra stinky!" There isn't any malice there, just a casual fling back of his words. Other people might show more obvious sympathy for but Vicki would not provide it!
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
one and a half people
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2021 9:15:09 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
In a way, it helps that she's not trying to help. That she's not walking on eggshells and watching her words and trying to pretend everything is normal except where it counts, except where Orion wants it to be.

The sound that escapes him isn't a laugh, more akin to a scoff.

"We're not talking about you, princess. Keep up."

But this time, there's a hint of humour in his tone. Princess. It's what he calls her when he wants her to know she's being especially exasperating. Not unlike how she keeps calling him stinky.

"What do you want, anyway?"

@vicki
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
one and a half people
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2021 9:25:20 GMT
Deleted Avatar
'Princess'. A big, stupid smile breaks onto her face when calls her that. That's how she knows she's won, always has been in her own way. Even if he resisted earlier, she tries to give him a pat on the back. She's a little rough but she means well.

"I just missed you, you big goose egg! I came to the ranger station every day looking for you, but you were never there!" Except today, when he had stormed out of the door like he had to go set Hell on fire.

"Mom said you got taken prisoner by bad guys and I've been real worried about you." Her voice lowers a bit when she says it, the smile melting off her face into a more pensive look. Vicki isn't normally one to wilt even in the face of adversity but she can't hide how she feels, either. Orion meant a lot to her even if she liked to tease him.

But, she's never been one to stay down for long, so she just forces on another winning smile until she means it.

"Then you finally came back and you were all rude! Stinky!"
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
one and a half people
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2021 9:45:22 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
He only winces a little when she pats him on the back, more from the unexpected force behind it than anything else. Had she always been this strong, or had his time with Rocket simply made him weaker?

He doesn't want to think about it, but he can't stop.

He goes quiet as Vicki talks, more reminiscent of the man she'd once known.

"Rocket," he says. "It was Team Rocket."

Let the whole region understand, old and young, that the leopard hadn't changed its spots. It had simply adopted a better camouflage. They weren't the freedom fighters they claimed to be. They were the villains.

His sigh is heavy.

"I'm not mad at you, Vic. I'm just..."

Suffering. So angry, all the time. So tired.

"... not feeling great."

@vicki
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
one and a half people
POSTED ON Nov 30, 2021 19:31:48 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Team Rocket.

Vicki hadn't said their name because they scared her. She hadn't bought into the talk that they were good. If they were bothering Rangers, who only wanted to help Pokemon, how were they the good guys? Now that she knew that had taken ... it just made her more sure. Orion could be real prickly but he was one one of the nicest people Vicki had ever met in her short life. Anyone who would want to hurt him was bad.

Out of habit she reaches for his hand, his good one, to hold like she had when she was smaller.

"People making you feel all bad about your arm, aren't they?" A wisdom she knew well.
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
one and a half people
POSTED ON Dec 11, 2021 14:26:11 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
Vicki's smaller hand fits against his and the last of the frost melts away from his gruff exterior. His shoulders slump a little bit, a sigh ghosting past his lips.

There's no use denying it, is there? If anyone understands...

"Yeah," he admits. "Either it's all they want to ask me about or they'll act like someone died and can't even look at me straight." Not that Orion often looked people in the eye to begin with, but that didn't mean it escaped his notice when they averted their gaze from his missing arm so fast they'd give themselves whiplash. "They've put me back on grunt work for the Rangers like they don't think I can handle the shit I used to do."

That, he thinks, is what hurts the most. He's never understood more the longing Vicki must feel to be allowed into the Ranger's world.

@vicki

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
one and a half people
POSTED ON Feb 6, 2022 17:15:43 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Vicki squeezes 's hand a bit in solidarity. A fire burned in her chest, anger quickly turning to determination. Both for herself and for her friend.

"People will always be jerks like that. You can't let it get to you now." She glanced up to meet his eyes again, a fire burning in them. "I overheard my aunt say to my mom once- that she thought it would have been better for me to go with dad. She just couldn't imagine someone like me being happy, you know? People who think that way are just jerks, though. Mom doesn't invite her over to the house anymore."

Then, a harsh truth, one she needed Orion to understand.

"But for a little while you won't be able to do the stuff you did before. After I lost my leg, do you think I just got up and started using my prosthetic perfectly? I couldn't even keep balance on it for a long time! And it's not that you're not capable of stuff, Orion! You just need to get used to your new arm, and then you can kick more butt than you ever did before!" A wide smile broke her cheeks.

"You can't just let people think that's all you can do when you're used to it! You have to be ready to punch them!"