617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
what doesn't kill you
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2022 17:26:11 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
was weak. She knew that.

She had never aspired to be the best trainer in all of Hoenn. Or Sinnoh, for that matter, when she lived there. She didn't care much about self-defense or offense, always assuming she'd be protected in some way or another.

Be it a Pokemon, a friend... a lover.

But, a rude awakening came for her, grabbed her by the throat, and shook her until she almost passed out. Jessie couldn't afford to be weak or the rely on anyone else.

That person could easily be ripped away, one, two, three... snap.

Lifting her head, she found herself in a place she'd never consider coming to. She was all too familiar with the Lower District of Slateport, but these areas were places she stayed away from. Battlegrounds were never meant for her. Until now.

Jessie approached, a few glances and whispering words spoken to her as she took a spot nearby, off to the side to observe.
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
HIDING FROM THE SUN, WAITING FOR THE NIGHT TO COME.
awards
5,373 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
what doesn't kill you
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2022 7:31:02 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","deadinside"]
[attr="class","top"]

among the crowd is theo beckett, a familiar face in the battle tent of slateport as some would come to know. he uses it as a source of recruitment and of finding talent. it's where he had found ashton (). will he find more tonight?[break][break]

scouting will have to come later, perhaps, as his attention is drawn to a familiar face in the crowd.[break][break]

he steps up next to her.[break][break]

"not participating tonight?"

[attr="class","ooc"][break]

[attr="class","pkspr pkmn-naganadel"]

[newclass=".deadinside"]--accent:#d5d5d5; [/newclass]

[newclass=".deadinside blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".deadinside blockquote b, .pizzabox blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass]

[newclass=".deadinside .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".deadinside .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".deadinside .ooc a"]font:bold 15px 'Poppins';[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Red

Jessie, née Black
She/Her
April 9
Canalave City
bisexual
entertainer
executive
dancin' down on sunset strip
awards
617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
what doesn't kill you
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2022 15:19:47 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
Jessie was staring forward, watching the brawl on display. She wasn't aware that someone had approached her, taking a spot near her, until he spoke.

She blinked, snapping out of her daze before meeting the gaze of .

"I've never been one to fight. My job's to entertain, but not like this, Mr. Beckett," she said, looking back at the fight.

One of the men had the other pinned, his foot holding the other's skull to the ground as he leaned over and tugged his opponent's arm behind his back. She could see the weaker of the two cry out in pain, tapping on the ground as his arm threatened to snap.

"I'm not at their level. Even if I wanted to fight, I don't know how."
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,373 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
what doesn't kill you
POSTED ON Jun 14, 2022 1:42:15 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

"you don't know how to fight?"[break][break]

not surprising, considering a decent amount within the organization have never received proper training. an oversight on rocket's part, but that's where theo's looking to fill the gap.[break][break]

despite the tapping, the man still gets his arm snapped back.[break][break]

"it seems our system has failed you. who recruited you? trained you?"

[newclass=".deadinside blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:30px 50px; [/newclass]

[newclass=".deadinside blockquote b, .pizzabox blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass]

[newclass=".deadinside .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:430px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]

[newclass=".deadinside .ooc"]border-top:1px solid #222; padding-top:15px; text-align:center; margin-top:15px; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

Red

Jessie, née Black
She/Her
April 9
Canalave City
bisexual
entertainer
executive
awards
617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
what doesn't kill you
POSTED ON Jun 14, 2022 14:52:12 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
Jessie shook her head, silently answering his question as she watched the remainder of the fight.

The snapping sound of the man's arm breaking was loud, and his arm bent back in a terrible angle. She closed her eyes, turning her head away from the scene as she heard him cry out, followed by the bell signaling the end of the match.

"I joined on the word that someone I knew from my childhood was in it. Administration del Mar. But I never received any formal training. I've just been a pretty face to look at," she answered, looking back at Theo finally.

"I joined to rebel against my father. I suppose I never anticipated wanting or needing to be trained. But now..." it was different.
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,373 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
what doesn't kill you
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2022 15:19:21 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

"ah. then i apologize for the oversight on our end."[break][break]

not much else needs to be said, really, as there's no changing the past. he can only correct the mistakes and hope they aren't repeated in the future because jessie isn't the only instance.[break][break]

"all those in the organization should know how to fight. pretty face or otherwise."[break][break]

the bell sounds the start of a new round.[break][break]

"you should participate tonight."

close tab

played by

Red

Jessie, née Black
She/Her
April 9
Canalave City
bisexual
entertainer
executive
awards
617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
what doesn't kill you
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2022 2:53:03 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
Jessie was a bit surprised by Theo's apology. In her eyes, it wasn't a big deal. Not until now, that is.

"You're a busy man. You don't have the ability to overlook every single grunt, right? Don't apologize," she insisted, feeling a bit awkward as she glanced away.

Though, she had to admit that she agreed with him. Jessie needed to have some sort of competency in battle. She just wasn't sure how to go about it.

And his suggestion took her by surprise yet again.

"Do you think that's a good idea? I've never brawled or fought like this before..." she said warily, eyeing the ring that was smeared with blood.
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,373 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
what doesn't kill you
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2022 9:21:36 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

"i shouldn't have to, no. but some fault lies with me."[break][break]

those in the position of power and knowledge should've been more willing to share it. culture bleeds from the top down, so he'll be sure to ensure proper training for all rocket recruits, grunts, and employees should they need it.[break][break]

and he has a feeling they do.[break][break]

"i need to get an understanding of what your fighting prowess currently is."[break][break]

what better way than through real-life experience?

close tab

played by

Red

Jessie, née Black
She/Her
April 9
Canalave City
bisexual
entertainer
executive
awards
617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
what doesn't kill you
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2022 14:30:21 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
There were people in the ring, mopping up the blood and whatever other fluids were spilt on the floor. It wasn't that effective, just spreading pink everywhere as it dried and stained the ground.

The thought of touching a place like that was enough to disgust her.

Jessie thought about it for a moment before speaking.

"I'll do it on one condition. I can't get severely injured like that last guy. I have a child to take care of now, alone. I can't be stupidly reckless. I don't mind learning, but..."

Jessie sighed, rubbing her face tiredly.

"I need someone on my level to fight against. Okay? Will you allow that, even if it's to evaluate my skills?"

She couldn't just break herself into pieces and leave Kai to fend for himself. She could rely on the gang, but they were busy enough as it is, with Caspian sending members out to gather intel and hunting down people himself.
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,373 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
what doesn't kill you
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2022 14:42:18 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

"i'm afraid there may be no one here on your level."[break][break]

though blunt, he believes it to be true. there's no point sugarcoating what they both know.[break][break]

the crowd starts to pipe up once again as they rally for a new round to begin. the ringmaster looks towards theo who gestures towards jessica.[break][break]

"but i'll jump in if things look bad."

close tab

played by

Red

Jessie, née Black
She/Her
April 9
Canalave City
bisexual
entertainer
executive
awards
617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
what doesn't kill you
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2022 1:45:43 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
Though she wanted to deny it and prove that there was someone as weak and puny as her there, Jessie was afraid that Theo was right. She massaged the back of her neck, closing her eyes before nodding.

"I'm taking your word."

If the fight went south quickly, she wouldn't hesitate to bail.

Stepping forward after pulling her hair into a ponytail, Jessie entered the ring. All she heard was the blood rushing through her body as the opponent stepped in: another woman, though she had muscle and scars ripped across her body.

"Hey, Princess. Ready for an assbeating?"

She didn't reply as the bell dinged, announcing the beginning of their fight. And Jessie was immediately swept off her feet.
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,373 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
what doesn't kill you
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2022 9:21:29 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

being a man of his word, theo will jump in eventually, but being swept off her feet doesn't quite constitute his need to intervene just yet. so he watches, folding his arms over his chest as he analyzes the fight.[break][break]

the woman is relentless. she is quick to bring her leg back to throw a kick into jessie's midsection, wanting to knock the wind out of her.

close tab

played by

Red

Jessie, née Black
She/Her
April 9
Canalave City
bisexual
entertainer
executive
awards
617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
what doesn't kill you
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2022 15:08:22 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
Jessie let out a loud grunt when her back hit the ground, an aching sensation running through her body as she rolled to the side. She got up, as quickly as she could while protecting her weak points.

However, within a matter of moments, the woman's leg was sent to her stomach, knocking air up and out of her body.

She bent over, left gasping and heaving as she tried to breathe again. Nothing would go in, and she felt like she was going to die. Until finally she could heave a breath in as her hair was yanked back.

Jessie threw a fist to her opponent's face, just barely making contact. But it didn't do much as her own face was met with a much harder punch.
close tab

played by

noodles

beck
he/him
thirty-eight
march 11th
cinnabar
bisexual
human resources
underboss
829 height
829 height
awards
5,373 posts
THEO BECKETT DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @theo
THEO BECKETT
what doesn't kill you
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2022 5:40:03 GMT
THEO BECKETT Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","top"]

it is a one-sided fight, one that has a predictable outcome from the very moment the two participants stepped foot into the ring. but it is a needed fight.[break][break]

despite whatever he might have said, theo does not jump in.[break][break]

after the much harder punch, the woman spits: "stay down!"

close tab

played by

Red

Jessie, née Black
She/Her
April 9
Canalave City
bisexual
entertainer
executive
awards
617 posts
part of
TAG WITH @jessica
Jessica Manner
what doesn't kill you
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2022 15:43:57 GMT
Jessica Manner Avatar
Jessie could taste blood in her mouth, running down her face and her throat as she gagged and coughed on the ground. Her head was dizzy, the world spinning around her as she tried to sit up. She felt nausea growing in her stomach, her throat-

Until she vomited on the ring.

There was a round of cheers, of hurling and gagging from the sight of her getting sick and pummeled in front of the audience. She caught her breath, trying to push herself as she was kicked in the ribs.

"Little slut. Stay down, you bitch!"

The words swayed in and out of her ears as she looked up, the lights blurring. Fuck... Jessie felt like she was floating, like everything was growing lighter and heavier at the same time. She had to get up... she had to-

But she didn't.