RED HANDED [S]

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
RED HANDED [S]
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2022 12:40:04 GMT
Deleted Avatar
bobby's tenure with the rangers is a bit like parole plus. in exchange for commuting her sentence she has to serve in the ranger corps, abide by their rules and regulations, and not get into the kind of trouble that landed her in prison in the first place. it's a good deal all things considered. a better deal than most get fresh out of prison -- she's got a job and a place to stay and incentive to stay out of trouble.

but god, sometimes trouble's got a way with words.

maybe it's the rigidity of ranger life. maybe it's the need for something familiar in a world so entirely different than she left it. maybe some people are just born to do bad and it's in her genes to fuck up this opportunity for herself; but after a few weeks of ranger work she's meeting an old contact at dusk. making deals like she's fourteen again.

"i thought you were all straight and narrow now," yancy asks, all crooked grin on a hood-shaded face. he's still got the same easy-going posture, the same ratty sweatshirt hiding his features, the same slick hands as he slides her a baggie in the process of their old handshake.

"naw, you know how it is. we met plenty of crooked cops in our time -- i figured the rangers could use some representation," bobby replies, slipping the couple grams of powder into her uniform jacket's pocket.

yancy laughs. she knew he would.

"yeah well just don't get caught. don't want to lose you for another five years."

bobby scoffs before turning to leave.

"please, me? get caught? it was a one off, have some faith!"

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
BROKEN GLASS IN EVERY TREE
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
RED HANDED [S]
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2022 0:25:09 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

bo had his hands in his pockets. he was minding his own business. he almost didn’t notice her. it was the guy with his hood up, sliding in too close, that caught his eye. this was either a robbery, or a deal. he wouldn’t have cared about the latter, until he recognized the face of the recipient. or at least, he thought he did.

his steps continued, pace unaffected by what he saw in front of him. he wouldn’t say a word as the man passed by to leave. he wasn’t a cop. he would never be a cop. in a war-torn region, where people were losing their businesses, he would turn the other cheek as people made their livings through whatever means possible. he knew some of those people, still. he had love for them.

but the rangers? that was a different story. as a captain, his responsibility was to uphold a standard—even when he was out of his district. if he was the only witness, it was on him.

and it wasn’t just that. he would say something because he knew what the other side was like. how inescapable it seemed. how good it felt to leave it all behind in favor of greater opportunities.

watching, he waited for his chance.
@bobby
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
RED HANDED [S]
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2022 1:38:33 GMT
Deleted Avatar
bobby leaves the alleyway and lets herself slip easily back into an old mask. it's leisurely on the outside. she puts on her hat and pulls her ponytail through like she doesn't have a care in the world, slips her hands in her pockets and saunters off like she owns the street. but underneath she's got a constant buzz running through her. excitement and anxiety wrestle with one another.

god she missed this.

she walks the street with one eye peeled for a while. no cops are approaching her (some even give her a respectful nod when they recognize her uniform) and it doesn't seem yancy brought any trouble with him. she's sure she's all clear until she starts recognizing a large shadow tailing her.

at first bobby assumes she's being paranoid, but she stopped trusting assumptions when she was ten. so she takes a few random turns and changes the side of the street once and sure enough he's still there. so she does the only logical thing.

she slips off into a fresh alleyway and waits for him to follow. the moment he rounds the corner she glowers up at him from under her cap.

"what's your deal, big man?"

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
RED HANDED [S]
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2022 2:36:35 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

bo followed. eventually, he spoke up. at first, it was one word. less than a bark, but the edges were sharp and commanding.

”cadet.”

he was quiet a moment, stopped well enough away from her so as to not be any more threatening than he may have already seemed by following her into an alleyway.

”my name is captain maher. tell me i didn’t just see what i think i saw.”

with that, he went quiet. he’d say his piece, but first, he was going to listen to her explanation, if she cared to give one. an apology, or some show of remorse. what lies did she have to say for herself?

would they sound familiar?
@bobby
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
RED HANDED [S]
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2022 13:32:41 GMT
Deleted Avatar
oh, this is mortifying. bobby can't believe she's been caught this quick. she told yancy it was a one off, she's never going to live this down and -- wait. fuck, that's not the worst part of this.

she's going to go back to prison. goddamn it.

captain maher asks her for an explanation and she visibly deflates. her back hits the alley wall and she lets herself sink until she's sitting on the grimy ground. she looks up at the captain from under her cap again, this time smiling in a desperate kind of way.

"you didn't just see what you think you saw?" she tries, weak humor in her tone, voice most certainly not trembling.

she bonks her head against the wall.

"fuck."

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
RED HANDED [S]
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2022 3:42:51 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

”okay, then.”

bo’s face wasn’t angry. he just stood there, hands still in his pockets, remaining by the threshold of the sidewalk. the sun from beyond the alleyway shone on his neck, stretching his shadow long, the only thing invading her space. she could easily run, if she wanted.

”what’s your name?”
@bobby
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
RED HANDED [S]
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2022 18:41:19 GMT
Deleted Avatar
now that she is one, bobby knows that rangers don't carry handcuffs. that being said it's still somehow surprising to her that captain maher doesn't pull out a pair for her the moment she fails to prove him wrong about what he saw.

the terms of the deal with the rangers is pretty cut and dry and her experience with authority is not that it is known for lenience. and yet here is a figure of authority not hauling her by her hair to jail. miracle of miracles maybe she has a chance here.

"my name is bobby," she speaks up immediately when maher asks, shifting from slouching against the alley wall to sitting on her knees and facing him. then she remembers that's what she prefers to go by and this isn't a casual conversation.

"uh, roberta karp -- sir. and listen i know this looks bad, but i haven't actually done anything yet you can uh --"

her voice is unabashedly pleading as she reaches into her pocket and takes out the baggie yancy gave her.

"you can just take this and throw it away or, or do whatever you want with it. this whole thing was just a lapse in judgement, i swear."

she holds out the couple of grams like an offering to maher's sun-stretched silhouette. she shakes it in her cupped hands as if begging him to take it.

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
RED HANDED [S]
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2022 2:23:19 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

bobby.

”…”

as she lowered to knees, bo continued to stand there near the street, never moving towards her. roberta karp didn’t ring a bell, either, but he committed the name to memory.

he’d never really done drugs but a couple of times—at least not the kind of stuff that came in baggies like the one she was holding up to him. none of that had really been his vice, but he’d seen and been around that world enough to know a thing or two.

”no. you’re just gonna get it again, and then maybe you’ll be high and broke, if you’re not already.”

if she was making any less money than he was, at least.

he sighed.

”get off the ground, karp.”
@bobby
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
RED HANDED [S]
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2022 21:44:09 GMT
Deleted Avatar
it's with uncharacteristic meekness that bobby stands up. it's a bit clumsy, too. she'd hit the ground kind of hard when she kneeled and so her knees ache as she pulls herself upright. wouldn't have happened if the uniform had fucking pants instead of shorts.

god why is she even thinking about that shit.

"no really, it's just -- it's just this one time i was just . . ." there's no good way to spin this and so even as bobby gives it her best effort nothing comes out of it. no one really does this shit one time. she knows that. captain maher apparently knows it, too.

she turns the baggie over in her hand, looks at it for a moment before turning her eyes to the left. to the alley wall.

"man, what does it even matter," she grumbles bitterly, eyes glaring resolutely on a dark stain, "so long as i do my job what's even the point of fussing."

regret fills her the moment she complains, but she's too proud to take the words back once they're out there. apparently she's just committing to seeing how far she can push the issue until she's fired and in jail for sure.

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
RED HANDED [S]
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2022 8:55:57 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

his expression didn’t change at her clumsiness, or her fumbling denial.

it could have been just the one time. sure, it was possible. but people who were doing this kind of stuff for the first time typically didn’t just slide through such smooth deals out in the open. there was too much anxiety.

karp had been alone. she’d scheduled with that person to meet her there that day, and she knew what she was doing. he was sure enough to bet on it.

she was testing her luck, now, maybe, but the annoyance didn’t show on his solemn face. not yet.

”because you don’t work at a place where they pay you to do the bare minimum. at least, not wearing that uniform you don’t. your quality of work matters, but not only that, karp; you lose your shit in the field because of that stuff, and one of three things happens: a) you get hurt, b) somebody else gets hurt, and/or c) you get fired and hauled off to jail. a and b are my concerns.”
@bobby
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
RED HANDED [S]
POSTED ON Aug 25, 2022 21:17:06 GMT
Deleted Avatar
bobby's arms cross defensively at maher's dressing down. she doesn't have the good sense to look properly cowed, but she at least looks a little embarrassed as her eyes shift to staring at his boots instead of the wall.

"this whole situation sucks," she says instead of 'i'm sorry' or 'i understand'.

"i was only in for a couple years but everything feels different. i don't know what's going on with . . . with anything and this job is --"

she huffs air through her nose. what the fuck is she doing complaining to this dude? why is she even still speaking?

"i just wanted to feel something i'm used to," she lets out a grim bit of laughter as she hears what she just said, "i guess i got it. nothing like a little shame to make you nostalgic."

close tab

played by

mad

bo
he/him
thirty-one
august 12th
rustboro
bisexual
farmer?
retired ranger captain
awards
1,098 posts
boruta maher DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @boruta
boruta maher
RED HANDED [S]
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2022 9:27:15 GMT
boruta maher Avatar

he didn’t like being this guy, but he felt like he had to be.

her wording at a moment caused a small pinch in his brow, but he let her continue, listening. by the end, he’d gathered a couple of pieces, but he still wasn’t sure.

”what do you mean you were only in for a couple of years? in what?”

prison?
@bobby