5,062 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2022 21:39:03 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“To think you got what?”

Once he was done chewing on the ice cream sandwich, he turned to properly face the other—wondering what the hell he was about to say had he suddenly not changed track.

“Hey, no fair,” he remarked, gently swatting at the other again. “I know you wanted to say something else, I know a broken thought when I hear one.”

And then, the crack about getting brain freeze.

“C’mon,” he continued, completely and totally unimpressed, “…if you don’t get sick of the smell of onions and eating them in horrifyingly large quantities, then I can do the same with ice cream. Or any frozen treat.”

At his last remark, though…

“Somehow I don’t think I’m getting the entire story. You cheat. C’mon, ‘fess up.”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
it gets lonely in this gangster's paradise
awards
1,176 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2022 22:18:23 GMT
Guillermo Marceliño Avatar
He hesitates, worrying, again, that speaking it out loud will either make it disappear or bring all sorts of bad ju-ju down on his head. Because this is kinda serious, you know? He’s basically admitting to going out of his way to change his life to be closer to Alex. That’s a big thing. And he hadn’t exactly talked about it with him before.

“I might be… up for a promotion soon,” he finally said, voice a cross between dreamy-hopeful and hesitant. “And-- and onions and ice cream are not the same thing.” Obviously, Guillermo, you stupid-head. He tried again. “Just because I put an extra onion in a recipe, I’m still only eating the one recipe. Not 62 different ice-cream bars.” It was said with achildlike petulance, and he fake-pouted for good measure.

He laid the doe-eyes on real thick. “You know my whole story. My parents were awful so I ran away and then I came here.” He shrugged, because it wasn’t a lie. There was a lot he was leaving out, of course, but it wasn’t a lie. “I’m not exciting.”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,062 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2022 22:28:48 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Ooh, really?”

Attention on the next ice cream sandwich forgotten (for now), the other man had his full attention.

“Look, you up for a promotion means that this is definitely a cause for celebration!” he continued, taking another big bite out of the ice cream sandwich he was holding (which was getting ominously soft in his hands, whoa, was the heat really this bad?) before rolling his eyes at the comparison between onions and ice cream.

“You silly, they’re both food. I swear, I know you’d eat an entire mcfucking blooming onion if you had the chance. Don’t deny it. And not the fried kind either, the baked kind.”

Boy.

“Come on,” he went on, drawing out the second word once the other had tried to skate over his own little adventures.

“You know I bartended and worked for a bakery and a roadside café—not all at the same time of course, I’m not stupid—all while trying to keep a roof over my head. What were you doing from the time you left Galar until you got here? And don’t give me any of that nonsense that you were just drifting. I want details.”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,176 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2022 22:46:22 GMT
Honestly it would all have been worth it to see Alex’s face light up like it just did. Holy shit, Guillermo realized as he basked in its glow, I would burn down the world to keep this man happy.

It was a sobering thought, and he had to rapidly blink himself out of his stupor.

“Yeah,” he allowed, more of a breath than anything else, because Alex was right, he could celebrate this. He could be happy about this. All his hard work was coming to fruition, and end of the world aside, it was something to be proud of.

Another sobering thought. How long has it been since he’d had something real to be proud of?

This one broke with laughter. One blooming onion, not sixty-four.” He grinned. “And fried or baked. I’m not picky.”

He was, in fact, going to say oh, you know, just drifting, but then Alex said the d-word (details) and Memo stopped breathing, for a second. “Um.” Because there was a lot to unpack there. “I mean. I did sort of, just do that?” Wandered without a home, without a purpose. Sleeping under bus stops and scrounging for recyclables. Trading certain skills for amenities. Occasional drug use.

“I buzzed around Galar for a bit ‘till I ran out of bridges and then went to Sinnoh, next.” His thumb has been working nervous circles on the back of Alex’s hand since he started talking, eyes unfocused on the blanket. He cracks a smile, a stray beam of sunlight through the darkness that settled over him. “I had this-- stupid idea to go back to Paldea to rediscover my roots. Dumb. I was just broke and dumb in a different region.”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,062 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2022 23:00:40 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Come on, if there was like—a national eating contest that involved nothing but onions I bet you’d take home the cash prize and the crown all in one go,” he teased.

He was definitely not going to let this go so easily.

The ice cream sandwich gone, he pawed around the cooler once again and found something else that wasn’t an ice cream sandwich for once—a cold can of soda, which he grabbed and then touched teasingly to the other’s forehead.

“You need to cool down a li’l bit,” he continued, letting some of his accent bleed in before he cracked the can open with just one finger on the pull tab—rather useless talent to have, but hey.

“I thought you mentioned going to Alola once, or was I wrong?” he blinked.

Didn’t they like, do those surveys together or something, and since he had height advantage, he could sneak a peek at the other’s answers while he was busy typing out his own.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,176 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2022 23:12:51 GMT
He leans embarrassingly into the cold contact at his forehead while he tries to get his swimming thoughts in order. There had to be a happy medium-- just enough information given to satiate Alex’s curiosity without being like well, sweetheart, for a while I sucked dick for food money.

“I did go to Alola. It was actually the last place I went before I came here.” He swallowed, mouth dry. “I was doing… community service work, sort of? And living at a hostel.” There, that didn’t sound too bad. It was a very nice spin on homelessness and scrounging up scraps on the beach for pennies.

“I was in sort of a bad spot and then Sénon texted me about-- about Cait and the baby and, hey, cousin, I hear you’re down on your luck, come to Hoenn, we always need able hands. Then I got here, Littleroot was literally on fire the next day, and the rest is history.”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,062 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2022 23:21:36 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“So you were supposed to be the babysitter, is what you’re saying?” he blinked, taking a drink from the can and rummaging around with his free hand to find another can and crack it open with the one-finger trick before handing it to the other to take.

When he mentioned Littleroot being set on fire, though, his forehead wrinkled.

“Again?” he blinked.

Well, there was another story behind that exclamation of his.

“No, no, not again again, more like, Littleroot got into trouble again again, is what I meant,” he clarified. Geez, what was up with that place anyway?!

T’was like it was cursed, or something.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,176 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 21, 2022 23:31:15 GMT
Memo laughs. “Well, no. But-- the thing about my family, especially my mother’s family, is we don’t always stay in contact. But the baby-- that’s a big thing, right? So that’s why he reached out to me.” His mother’s side of the family had multiple branches and outlets and looked like a very confusing roadmap on paper (he’d had to do a family tree once for primary school).

“So we got to talking and--,” and, he assumed, his mother had told Sénon that Guillermo had been promptly and thoroughly cut off, for being a wicked, homosexual, degenerate (or something of the sort)-- “he said that he heard that I was kind of… on my own and if I needed a job I should go to Hoenn and enlist. So I did.”

And it was turning out to be the best thing he’d ever done.

“Yeah, it was a whole thing. Xerneas was there. I got stuck in a-- cage of fire, basically.” He helped himself to a cold drink, skin crawling as it remembered the feeling of the flames. “I was pretty much useless, me and my three Pokemon plus Shivani. Did fuck all.” He shrugged. “It was an interesting introduction to the region.”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,062 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2022 0:14:49 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“You—you saw what?”

He blinked from his own drink, halfway up to his lips but he’d paused right then and there.

“What the hell?”

What was up with so many Legendary Pokémon appearing in these parts, lately?! Well, we don’t talk about the djinni, oh no no no no. That was a personal matter altogether.

“What idiot decided to set Littleroot on fire?! I’m pretty sure they’re sick and tired of being torched…” he grumbled as he took another long drink from the can in his hands.

“What else happened that time?”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,176 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2022 2:00:25 GMT
He nodded, unable to stop himself from rolling his eyes. Yeah, both Sénon AND Lars had freaked out about that part, too. They’d grilled him on it multiple times. “Yeah, yeah. Xerneas, huzzah.”

Memo pretty much thought if he ever met the stupid deer in real life he’d just punch it in the face.

Shrugging, he tried to remember. “I don’t recall much else outside of the flaming cage of fire. There was a lot going on.”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,062 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 23, 2022 12:49:36 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Good grief.”

No, really, that’s all he had to say.

Why was this entire region acting like a beacon for the strange and weird? Geez.

“What a mess. The last time I was there, a strange white tree appeared but… well, it kind of died. Because something happened and the roots were poisoned, shit just got… wild.”

He wrung his free hand before draining the contents of the can of soda he had with him.

“Djinni above, this heat is terrible. Could really use a nice wind right about now… even if it’s evening, this is terrible… I don’t know about you but I’m thinking of sleeping with the AC full blast tonight at my place. How do you even survive this long out in this heat?!”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,176 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2022 18:13:44 GMT
Memo frowned.Another tree? Ugh. Littleroot has too many weird fucking trees.” He snagged an icecream bar from the cooler (before Alex could Gulpin them all down) and schucked the packaging, folding the sticky side down as he slid the chocolate-glazed sweet between his lips. “Yeah, wild pretty much describes it.”

He laughed. “Is your AC ever not on full blast?” he asked, genuinely curious. “We don’t really have AC in Galar. And also, I’m half Paldean. The heat is in my blood.”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,062 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2022 23:19:52 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Same. I don’t know why Littleroot seems to attract weird-ass trees. Fact that you and I have had similar experiences with two different trees—not sure if they’re the same or what—should definitely mean something.”

He rolled his eyes at that last statement. Oh, Hoenn, why were you such a hotbed of all the weird shit happening in the world right now…

“What? I’m from a small city up in western Unova that’s nestled between several mountain ranges. Of course it’s going to get cold there. Much colder during the winter. Our summers there are just cold enough for me to not shrivel up like a fucking prune,” he teased.

They really were opposites in that regard. One ran like a hotbox, the other ran like an icebox (only, cranked to the coldest settings possible).

“One time… I might take you there.”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,176 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2022 23:39:06 GMT
Memo joined Alex in the eye-rolling, knowing it wasn’t just Littleroot that had its fair share of supremely weird bullshit heaped on it. What Hoenn lacked in seasons it made up for in sheer nonsense.

“Lars did try to warn me when I signed on that shit got weird around here,” Memo said, taking another bite of his ice cream bar. Of course, that had been before the man himself had manifested some weird ice powers and jumped in front of a bullet for him. Pot, meet kettle.

“Galar doesn’t really get… cold, necessarily. Just windy and rainy and gray and wet.” He shrugged. “It gets super hot for like, three weeks a year and everyone just collectively suffers because we all live in old ass stone houses barely modernized enough to have indoor plumbing, and we’re all fucking poor.” He doesn’t mean for his voice to get so venomous, it just happens; he does manage to soften the edges out of it when he looks at Alex.

“I’d love to see it.”

He noticeably does not return the offer.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,062 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
summertime girls [m, c]
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2022 23:46:02 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

Ah.

“So he warned you about that, huh? Smart of him to do so. I’d have taken the initiative to tell you myself if nobody else didn’t tell you before he did.”

This was, of course, considering the other guy was… well… yeah. An avatar.

He doesn’t miss the venom in the other’s voice when he talks about Galar—surely there were other places that weren’t like that in the region the other came from?

“Why…do I get the feeling you really don’t like Galar? At least, the place where you were born…” he hummed quietly, picking up the last of the ice cream sandwich he was working on and swallowing it whole.

“Surely there’s got to be other…nice places around there, right?” he ventured quietly, hoping he wasn’t going to upset the other man.