awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
wicker men 2, wicker boogaloo [m, c]
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2022 22:54:38 GMT
Guillermo Marceliño Avatar
Memo had once dreamed of a companion he could take adventuring. A friend through thick and thin. Someone who would jump into danger with him without thinking twice.

It was, regretfully, not as amazing a feeling as he’d imagined.

Well, it was-- it was singularly comforting, the fact that Alex was with him. But as he stared down the barrel of his binoculars at the massive, swarming, swirling hive, he felt a lump forming in the pit of his stomach.

This was terrifying. And under ordinary circumstances, he’d be out here, by himself, doing his best to mitigate the situation and complete the task. But instead, Alex was with him.

He tried to will oxygen into his lungs without looking like he was freaking out. You have to trust him. You have to trust him. But this was an entirely new vulnerability, and it was so very scary. You have to trust him.

Praxidike crossed her arms and rolled her eyes, golden mandibles tossing with a barely-contained impatience. She was the Vespiquen from their first adventure, abandoned by her maddened Combee, whom Memo had journeyed back to bring with them on this second leg of the quest. The Vespi-quest.

“So, what’s the plan, stan?” Memo asked, letting his binoculars fall and leaning back to peer up at Alex.

You have to trust him.
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2022 21:30:44 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“They’re taking much longer than usual,” were the first words out of his mouth, apologetic tone already in place.

He knew that the Vespiquen’s mandibles were clicking rather menacingly, and he hoped that she wasn’t going to take it out on them for taking so long to get back to her.

“I haven’t heard back from Evergrande… nor from the others at the Sanctuary either, because the Combee we brought back from here? Completely and totally erratic behavior unlike the ones that we own.”

(Because it wasn’t just Alexei who had Combee of his own. He knew that Ethan had a bitch queen of a Vespiquen, and so did Claire.)

“Not even the two Vespiquen owned by the receptionists worked, it’s like the Combee are being… brainwashed.”

He shuddered at the last word.

“There’s something in the air, and it’s messing with them.”

That much was true, at least.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
it gets lonely in this gangster's paradise
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2022 22:09:55 GMT
“It’s fine,” Guillermo said, and he sounded convincingly genuine. It didn’t so much matter what Alex’s team at the sanctuary found, now, because the League’s team had pointed them in this direction. The map was accurate-- a big, buzzing, stinging X marked this spot.

“The infinity energy is making them super aggro,” Memo confirmed, “that’s why they’re acting brainwashed.”

He turned his attention back to the massive hive, trying to fight the anxiety spiking through him. It was painful and threatened to steal the air from his lungs.

“How do you reckon we go about this? Guns blazing or do we try to be sneaky about it?”

Praxidike-- whose name was Greek for exactor of vengeance-- swung her hands like a boxer, clearly wanting to full send it. But Memo wanted Alex’s opinion-- because it was Alex, of course, and then also because if something bad were to happen, not all the blame would rest on his shoulders.

It was a selfish feeling that he was entirely unused to experiencing. He scrubbed a hand over his face, the humming drone turning into a headache.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2022 18:02:45 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The consistent buzzing was starting to press down even on him, and he didn’t quite like that because it was also causing him to be more ‘on edge’ than usual.

“I think… I think you may be right. About… about the brainwashing part, that is,” he hummed quietly as he blinked several times, trying to suppress the pounding that was also spreading in his head due to the constant humming drone of noise.

“Well someone wants to go in there guns blazing, but… I highly suggest against it. Especially since we have no idea what an entire swarm of brainwashed Combee are capable of.”

Secretly? He was fucking terrified.

“Do you have any Pokémon with you that can stealth? Or are you going to go in guns blazing too?”

He had to brace himself, because he knew he was just the back-up in this instance.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2022 21:41:59 GMT
“Uhm, well…” he trailed off, thinking about the state of the Pokemon he’d brought, whether or not they’d be capable of being sneaky. In his defense, when he thought about stealth, his first thought was ghost, but Alex was terrified of Ghost-types, and he’d rather not scare the man into lateral recumbency.

”I was thinking that I’d probably take Praxidike and Sibella and try as pull as many off the hive as I could,” he said, having a feeling Alex wasn’t going to like this plan, but suggesting it anyways, because self-martyrdom was his thing, damn it, ”and then you and Kyouya and Gabe and Vince can sneak in and find the queen’s chamber.”

But was Sibella fast enough to outrun a swarm of angry, chaos energy riddled Combee? That was less important than maintaining Alex's safety, in Memo's view, while also completing the mission.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2022 14:42:44 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The moment he mentioned what the plan was, and what exactly was involved, he had to put his foot down.

“No.”

There had to be a reason for this.

He then took a sharp inhale of breath, before turning to Memo and hissing, “Are you fucking crazy?!” while slapping his arm. “You’re going to throw yourself into literal fucking danger!”

Hence the arm-slapping.

“No,” accompanied by a vehement head-shake this time. “That’s too dangerous!”

What was the other man thinking?!

“Look, I can use Gabriel as a decoy—he knows Flamethrower, at least—and try to lure them away. It’s… it’s going to involve a lot of fire, though…”

And he had a feeling the other wasn’t so hot around flames, despite being hot-blooded himself.

“He can funnel them away with Flamethrower. Do any of your companions right now know Flamethrower?”

He was determined to think of an alternate plan, because the first one was just outright suicide!

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2022 18:58:00 GMT
The words were barely out of his mouth before Alex put the eighty-six on it, complete with a chastising arm slap and, oh boy, Guillermo was going to have to get used to this having someone care if you live or die thing.

And of course he stupidly just said, “Well, yeah,” as though that explained everything. “I mean--,” he was flailing a little bit because while he’d expected Alex to not be happy with his plan he hadn’t expected him to outright decline it. So, yeah, he was a little thrown.

“Sibella does,”
he said, touching the Noivern’s Pokeball a little unconsciously. “But-- will they be okay on their own?”

See, he was fine with sacrificing himself, but not his friends.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 1:32:41 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Look,” he hissed, knowing that the Vespiquen was waiting for them actually mcfucking do something, “…there’s a reason why you should trust your Pokémon partners.”

Case in point: how he could leave most of his unruly ‘children’ under the protective eyes of Smokey, and Terra, and Gabriel, and Kyouya (when the Braviary didn’t want to behave like an asshole, which was approximately 50% of the time) without worrying about the more rambunctious members of his huge-ass family.

“They’re big, grown-up, mature beings that can handle themselves. They’ll be fine. Besides, you know Gabe is once he gets to work. He literally gets to work.”

He then realized he had to put more context.

“Okay, so with that… they both lure away the massive horde with Flamethrower, and while they’re keeping the Combee busy, that’s when we make our move. Only, I send in Kyouya, and you send in… her, the queen—they can handle themselves. You should… trust them more, you know.”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 3:00:04 GMT
“It’s not that I don’t trust them,” Memo begins, which is exactly how every explanation of why you don’t trust someone starts, “it’s just that I-- I don’t want them to get hurt.” And he thinks, as he looks over at Praxidike, who rolls her eyes and huffs, that this is a very apt metaphor with how he feels regarding his relationship.

There’s a lesson here, and Memo isn’t going to like it.

“So we just-- we just let them run the gambit and sit back and do nothing?” Memo continues, streak of protest leeching into his voice. “Because that’s…not how I do things dies on his throat as he looks at Alex, confused; he’s a man of action, always has been, always will be. Sitting back on his heels while his Pokemon go headfirst into danger doesn’t sit right with him. They’re partners, not tools.

Praxidike gives her comb-dress a whirl that suggests she doesn’t give a fuck what they do as long as they do something.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 3:14:02 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“You should trust them—why do you think they’re so attuned with…with us? I mean, explain Vincent. And Zuza, for another,” he looped back, realizing that Memo, up until this point, didn’t have a Lucario of his own.

“That’s what they’re capable of doing. You just have to—you just have to trust their instincts when it comes to them doing their own thing. They…they can understand us, you know.”

He was sure of it, because there had been days, and there were times, when his Lucario would know what he was planning and dissuade him from going through with whatever the hell he was about to do.

“Look at her, at Praxi,” he continued, gesturing at the Vespiquen. “How can you build trust between your Pokémon companions if you don’t believe in them, in what they’re capable of doing?”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 18:57:38 GMT
Memo fixes Alex with a look that says you are not convincing me like you think you are without, he hopes, him having to say it out loud, because he really isn’t used to disagreeing with Alex, and is even less excited to have an argument. But he would certainly not send Zuzu into a swarm of angry bees all alone, no matter how much he trusted her.

He did follow Alex’s guidance when he gestured to Praxidike (the nickname brought a smile to his face, despite his sullen mood).

“I-- I guess,” he finally relented, really really not convinced. He hated this kinda thing-- feeling like his Pokemon were expendable, tools, just because they were a lot harder to kill. Still, he rolled Sibella’s Pokeball across the palm of his hand, releasing her with a flick of his wrist; she turned back to him with a curious trill, ears perked, awaiting instruction.

“Okay, fine,” Memo said, “we’ll go with Alex’s plan. For now.” He wanted to say but if anything seems off, I’m jumping in, but what could he do? He was, after all, just human. He also didn’t like how threatening it sounded in his head. “Sibs, I need you to run interference. You’re going to have a lot of angry bees chasing you, so, be ready.”

Sibella purred, unconcerned.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Aug 30, 2022 20:04:20 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

With a flick of his own hand, the scuffed Moon Ball makes its appearance before the red beam of light coming out of it transforms into his Salamence, who looks ready to battle—

Before Alexei holds up a finger to his lips, meant to shush the draconid into silence.

“Gabe, if you make any noise, the plan’s going to be for nothing, so… listen,” he continued as his voice went into extremely quiet territory as he approached the draconid, rubbing his neck while gesturing at the Noivern that was waiting to make a move.

“You two go over there together, distract the Combee—don’t burn or incinerate the entire hive down, okay? We still have to find something. I’m sure you can control yourself, right?”

Looking over at the Noivern, the Salamence lets out a gruff noise before nodding his head.

“Go!” he hissed as the blue-and-red draconid flew off in the opposite direction, hopefully being followed by the Noivern.

“Look at it this way,” he continued as he returned his attention to Memo (and the Vespiquen).

“Pokémon know much more of the world than we do, even if we claim to know so much. It’s just that—we’re here to guide them, and not command them around. D’you get what I mean?”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2022 3:20:20 GMT
Sibella titled her head, ears flexing forward, listening as Alex spoke; Memo pressed a hand into her white ruff. She trilled, the fur down the length of her body rising and falling in a wave, and then he stepped back so she could flap her wings and take to the sky, spinning airborne in a characteristic Sibella flair, before she lifted up and over, flying in an S-pattern in Gabe’s wake.

It was rather comical, the Salamence diving forward like a knife, and the Noivern going in slick loop-de-loops behind him, calm as the day is long.

“Yeah,” Memo said, sort of distracted, watching his dragon go, “I-- I get it.” And he did, but he-- he worried. Alex should understand what that was like.

He exhaled sharply, turning to Praxi.

“Once they pull the swarm off, you’re on your own. You’re okay with that?”

She rolled her eyes.

“Okay, okay. I’ll stop nannying. Jeez.”

The dragons were within sight of the hive, now; Sibella chirped at Gabe, turning upside-down beneath him, then peeled away, spitting an arc of fire down on the hive and flaring out to circle up and around.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 15:38:03 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

He could only laugh softly at the Vespiquen’s reaction while Memo pretty much got chastised by the Pokémon of the hour.

It didn’t take too long for the sound of flames being scorched out some distance away for him to look up and turn his head in the direction where he was pretty sure that the Salamence and the Noivern were raising pretty much hell.

The distant droning, buzzing—the Combee were in distress, and the Salamence continued to herd them, forcing them to stay in one place with the way he was peppering Flamethrower blasts.

“Okay, that’s our cue!” and with that a scuffed Friend Ball was thrown forward, and the blue-plumed Braviary emerged; ready to scrap.

“Shh! Go with her!” he gestured at the Vespiquen, before he himself turned his attention to Praxi.

“You can—do what you have to. We’ll wait here.”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2022 15:28:55 GMT
He heard Alex chuckle. All he could do was plant his hands at his hips in a very characteristic Worried Father pose, staring towards the hive. He was glad someone was enjoying his misery.

Kyouya, Memo realized as the Braviary entered the battlefield, reminded him of a rooster. The crow-screech died on his tongue as Alex admonished him to silence, then pointed in Praxidike’s direction.

The queen bee herself gave an irritated, high-pitched buzz, oscillating her wings rapidly to rise and dart off towards the hive without so much as a look back.

As waves of angry Combee bubbled from the surface of the hive like a pot of boiling water, Praxidike cut to the other side, finding an open tunnel that she could fit through. All of her senses were warring-- the scent of another queen, her presence in a hive that was not her own. She pushed it all down and stubbornly kept going forward, not bothering to wait and see if Kyouya was following.

She followed the innate feeling of the other queen deeper into the hive complex, occasionally having to slash her way through an errant drone left behind, or sluggish from recently returning from patrol.

Meanwhile, Sibella was having the time of her life, pulling loop de loops and bending the angry streams of Combee into spirals or funnels, trying to make pretty shapes with their almost fluid-like forms in the air. She considered snacking on one, but remembered there was something weird about these Combee-- that’s why they were out here in the first place, right?

Probably best not to.