orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
i'll wreck this if i have to; tell me, what good would that do?
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
interface [m/past]
POSTED ON Aug 31, 2022 19:35:09 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
x
-
@nikita
They're several steps along in the fitting process, the fourth and final fitting to be precise, and Orion's no less nervous than he'd been the first couple of times. There's something more nerve-wracking about the finality of this step, even though @nikita and her team had assured him there was no pressure to commitment until he was satisfied with the product.

Anxiety almost makes him back out of the scheduled appointment, but a quick call to his therapist helps get him re-aligned in his mental state. That he might be allowed to take his Absol indoors now that Altair had passed the required exams to be registered as a service Pokémon hadn't occurred to him until the level-headed voice on the other end of the line had suggested it. Many people, especially in Hoenn where superstitions ran deep, found discomfort in the presence of the Disaster Pokémon. A harbinger of ill omen, but the bright red service vest promises only a balm to Orion's frayed nerves.

He's surprised to see @nikita again, but not disappointed.

"Hi." That feels a lackluster greeting, but he can't think of what else to say except, "Thanks again for doing all this for me."

It's her job, but his gratitude is real.

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
interface [m/past]
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2022 12:34:03 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","nikitapost"]
[attr="class","nikitaposttext"]

[attr="class","nikitapostpkmn"]

Nikita smiled at Orion when he entered, a smile that softened with empathy at his thanks.[break][break]

"No need to thank us," she reassured him. It was business, but also, she genuinely did like to improve patients' lives. Despite all the mixed feelings about her prosthetics and recovery she held deep inside her, she was grateful for what she could do with her false limbs.[break][break]

Few things hurt more than isolation — mental, emotional, physical.[break][break]

"If you could please sit." She gestured to a chair in the center of the room. The lead engineer responsible for Orion's arm, a middle-aged man named Mason, stood next to it. In his hands was the titanium arm commissioned exactly to the former Ranger's specifications.[break][break]

"Mr. Lykos! Good to see you again," Mason said in greeting, beaming widely. "Ready for the Rotom compatibility test?"

[break]

[attr="class","nikitapostooc"]
[break]

NOTES

Mission: Bond Bridge

[googlefont=Roboto]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.nikitapost]--accent:#7ECED3;[/newclass]
[newclass=.nikitapost]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikitapost .nikitaposttext b"]color:var(--accent); } .nikitapost .nikitaposttext a { font:12px Roboto; } .nikitapost .nikitaposttext i { color:var(--accent); } .nikitapost .nikitaposttext u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikitapost .nikitapostooc"]} .nikitapost .nikitapostooc b { color:var(--accent); } .nikitapost .nikitapostooc a { font:12px Roboto; } .nikitapost .nikitapostooc i { color:var(--accent); } .nikitapost .nikitapostooc h1 { font:18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;letter-spacing:.5px } .nikitapost .nikitapostooc u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikitapost .nikitapostpkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
interface [m/past]
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2022 13:47:20 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
x
-
@nikita
Orion's smile is tight as he glances at Mason. "Hey. I think we are, yeah."

A glance is spared to the Absol flanking him at we, Altair leaning his weight against Orion's hip in order to offer silent support. The Absol's intelligent red eyes sweep over the other two in the room without hostility.

"His name's Altair."

Orion sits down in the chair, adjusting his weight until he's comfortable. Altair pads to his right side, allowing Mason or Nikita to approach, and sits down with a soft huff. The surgery to graft the socket onto his left shoulder had gone well, with Orion religiously following all of the discharge orders given. It's... weird. But not bad.

"So how does this work?"

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
interface [m/past]
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2022 14:42:22 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

Mason moved to Orion's side and handed him the arm. "If you could just pop your arm into the socket as we showed you last time. It's good to practice, after all!"[break][break]

While designed to be secure so that they would not fall off, limbs produced by WPT could also be detached and reattached without any assistance. It was important for a patient with a new arm or leg to become used to the simple process.[break][break]

Meanwhile, Nikita removed a Pokéball from her belt and released her Rotom. It chirped happily upon seeing its master, then again when it saw Orion. The small Ghost-type floated over to Altair and whirred a greeting.[break][break]

"Once you have your arm on, we'll give you a minute or two to adjust to the sensation. It may take you some time to reacquaint yourself with the feeling of reattachment, which is hard to describe," Mason explained.[break][break]

Notably, the engineer himself did not have any false limbs, so he wouldn't have been able to describe it if he tried. Nikita had long since resigned herself to the fact that many of her employees simply would not know the same acute loss, nor would they understand the intensely emotional feeling of reunion, either.[break][break]

"Then Ms. Wells' Rotom will enter your arm. You will notice a significant difference in how much you can sense through your limb, and since your nerves are connected to it, you will be able to feel Rotom's consciousness as well. Another difficult concept!"[break][break]

Mason laughed lightheartedly, to alleviate any tension and anxiety, but Nikita's expression remained serious. She knew this moment was no laughing matter.

[break]

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Roboto]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.nikitapost]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikitapost .nikitaposttext b"]color:var(--accent); } .nikitapost .nikitaposttext a { font:12px Roboto; } .nikitapost .nikitaposttext i { color:var(--accent); } .nikitapost .nikitaposttext u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikitapost .nikitapostooc"]} .nikitapost .nikitapostooc b { color:var(--accent); } .nikitapost .nikitapostooc a { font:12px Roboto; } .nikitapost .nikitapostooc i { color:var(--accent); } .nikitapost .nikitapostooc h1 { font:18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;letter-spacing:.5px } .nikitapost .nikitapostooc u { text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".nikitapost .nikitapostpkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
interface [m/past]
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2022 17:50:11 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
x
-
@nikita
Orion exhales, shaky. "Okay."

He'd done this before, in the previous fittings, but the sensation is no less strange than the first time. It's a bit of a struggle to find the right angle and pressure with his remaining arm and his cheeks turn red with the anxiety of eyes on him during such a personal and intimate experience. Eventually he manages, the jolt of nerves connecting making his heart jump in tandem.

It's OK. You're OK.

He can't quite figure how to flex his fingers, but the elbow bends stiffly under his desire. It's not the same. It's not enough. Panic threatens, but he reminds himself of what his therapist had told him. You don't start hiking by climbing a mountain. He'll get used to it. Maybe the Rotom will help. That he can feel when he shifts his weight to look at the chipper Ghost-type and his arm bumps against his thigh is a sensation that makes heat burn behind his eyes. He'd resigned once to never feel it again.

He finds himself looking to @nikita in this moment of intense vulnerability, perhaps searching for someone who understands. Her serious expression lies in stark contrast to Mason's cheerful demeanour but that's comforting in its own right. She knows what a big deal with is.

"I'm ready."

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
interface [m/past]
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2022 18:10:35 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

Nikita nodded, solemn. She turned to her Pokémon. "Initiate compatibility test, Rotom."[break][break]

Despite her professional choice of words, her tone was low and gentle, as if to soothe the anxiety that was plain on Orion's face. Seeing the apprehension in his features — the vulnerability — filled her with compassion. She had been in his position before; she knew what he was about to feel.[break][break]

Rotom whirred softly as it approached Orion's prosthetic. Then, slowly, as if easing itself into a secure nest, it merged itself with the metal.[break][break]

Though Nikita had grown used to the sensation of Rotom interfacing with her arm, she still vividly remembered the first time. She had already grown used to wearing a prosthetic at that point. Her first one had been clumsy; she could control the hand mentally, but she could not feel with it, and it had taken months for her to learn how to pick up objects smoothly yet securely. Her next arm had been stronger and lighter, made easier to control as technology advanced.[break][break]

But even as artificial nerves replaced electrodes, even when she could feel the texture of a Pokémon's fur or the heat of her own body against her metal palm, nothing compared to a Rotom interfacing with her limb. It was as close to the real thing as she could remember. Movement was effortless, as if the Pokémon could anticipate her needs before the signals traveled from her brain to her fingertips. She could make the most minute adjustments to pressure and speed without extra focus.[break][break]

And it was true what Mason said. A brain connected by nerves to the prosthetic meant a brain connected by nerves to the Pokémon itself. It was like having a second brain, a second personality, a second consciousness — wholly separate from oneself but nevertheless completely in sync. Rotom knew Nikita better than anyone else. Perhaps better than she knew herself.[break][break]

In her darkest hours, Rotom had saved her life.[break][break]

Perhaps a Rotom could restore Orion's.

[break]

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Roboto]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
interface [m/past]
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2022 20:03:15 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
x
-
@nikita
She understands.

He can hear it in her voice, see it in her eyes. Whether or not she'd since adjusted to the jarring sensation of taking a piece of one's life back was irrelevant. What mattered was that at one point in time, she'd been just like him, maybe just as scared and just as vulnerable.

Muscles tense involuntarily as the Rotom approaches, nerves that weren't used to their new attachment firing up and causing metal fingers to twitch in want to curl. And then, as the Rotom settles into the prosthetic, those fingers do curl, and Orion feels the sensation of knuckles pressed against his palm, the bend of his elbow as he jerks his arm in shock, the brush of fabric against what wasn't skin but almost felt like the real thing. When he closes his eyes he can nearly pretend that he's whole again.

The warm sensation of tears sliding down his cheek isn't new, but for once he forgets to feel ashamed of it.

His movements with the arm are sharper than can be considered natural, but he moves. Altair makes a soft rumbling sound in his throat, somewhere between a whine and a cat's purr, before getting up to nudge Orion's metallic hand with his muzzle. Fingers uncurl, adjust, and with certain rigidity stroke through the Pokémon's white fur.

"This is what I want." The strange sensation of the Rotom's conscience interfacing with his own doesn't bother him in the least. His voice is choked with emotion. "I'm sure."

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
interface [m/past]
POSTED ON Sept 2, 2022 2:13:01 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

Without saying a word, Nikita picked up a box of tissues and handed them to Orion. They kept one in every examination room because tears were common among patients. Children, adults, those born limbless, those who'd lost them — they all cried.[break][break]

Off to the side, Mason nodded to himself, tapping out notes on his keyboard. "Excellent," he said, his voice more subdued than before. "I'll have to borrow Rotom now to review the results, if you don't mind…"[break][break]

Not that Orion had a choice. This was the procedure. Nikita's Rotom removed itself from his prosthetic and merged instead with Mason's computer. The monitor lit up with charts and graphs.[break][break]

Nikita's gaze lingered on Orion's face for a moment, watching for his reaction to the sudden disconnect.[break][break]

"Oh, excellent," Mason repeated, his attention focused entirely on the information flowing across the computer screen. "Stats look great. Everything is green across the charts. The interface went seamlessly, Mr. Lykos. You are fully Rotom compatible."[break][break]

Slowly, and with a sense of finality, Nikita nodded. "You'll be able to take your arm home tonight," she explained as Mason finished processing the data. "I trust my team has given you the booklet of care and maintenance instructions, and you've scheduled physical therapy?"

[break]

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Roboto]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
interface [m/past]
POSTED ON Sept 2, 2022 11:38:23 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
x
-
@nikita
Thanks.

He doesn't trust himself to say it with his throat closed around emotion, but the gratitude is in Orion's gaze as he silently accepts the tissue box and dabs at the tears collecting in his lashes.

There's an immediate sense of loss and sorrow when the Rotom disconnections, his heart dropping into the pit of his stomach with the vacuous void left behind, but his attention is drawn to Mason when the engineer proclaims positive result. That's good he tells himself, even as the fingers of his right hand tremble. That's good.

Tears flow more steadily, now, fighting Orion's attempts to stem them.

"Yeah," he affirms shakily, "They, ah, they did. I did."

Trembling fingers ghost over the cool metal of the titanium arm, the vague sensation of touch and warmth nothing compared to how it had felt in those brief moments he'd shared with Nikita's Rotom.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
interface [m/past]
POSTED ON Sept 2, 2022 12:12:18 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

Nikita nodded again, falling into silence so Orion could focus on processing the many emotions running through him in such a short time. Mason finished at the computer, releasing her Rotom from its duty.[break][break]

The small Ghost-type Pokémon floated over to Orion once more, chirping in an attempt to reassure the man. The exchange brought a smile to Nikita's lips. "It likes you," she commented softly, as if it weren't obvious.[break][break]

Rotom spun around the seated man once before returning to its master. She held out a Pokéball, which it obediently entered.[break][break]

"I'll leave you and Mason to wrap up the rest of the appointment," she said to Orion, her tone bearing a sense of finality. "I hope you heal up well, Mr. Lykos."

[break]

[break]

NOTES

[googlefont=Roboto]
[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,912 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
interface [m/past]
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2022 22:09:21 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
@nikita