Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
to the grave [m]
POSTED ON Sept 26, 2022 2:15:58 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Oh.[break][break]

Gavin Merlino was the scariest man in Rocket for a reason. If you showed him disrespect, he could destroy your immortal soul. Isaac tried not to consider the frankly bone-chilling theological implications of this, instead focusing on the job at hand. There was a grave full of secrets, and it was time to dig it up.[break][break]

Isaac gathered the symbol of Arceus first. He wasn't much of a religious man himself, but it had served him well. It at least deserved some basic respect after that. The rest of cleanup duty was simple, Sanford spinning in place to kick up a small Whirlpool atop the mountain. The dried herbs and salt were sucked right into the funnel of water, Sanford parting a little hole at the bottom of the whirlpool to deposit it into a little trash bag. Sure, they were literally graverobbing right now. But they didn't need to leave litter in their wake![break][break]

"So . . ." Isaac said, his question trailing off as he tried to figure out what he even wanted to say. "Who was this guy, anyway? Someone important?" He could've been a big deal in the Rocket hierarchy, or a particularly dogged opponent of them. Or he could've been a nobody, someone so inconsequential Gavin had no qualms with snuffing him out beneath his heel.[break][break]

Isaac wasn't sure which answer was scarier.

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
to the grave [m]
POSTED ON Sept 26, 2022 2:52:21 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
While Isaac and his Dhelmise focus on clean-up, Gavin lights up a cigarette. Exhilarating as the battle had been, he craves the wash of calm that only a horrible addiction to nicotine can bring. He exhales grey smoke and black miasma, and his gaze flicks to Isaac when addressed.

"Defector."

A simple word with a brutal implication. He had been Rocket, once. Had battled, bantered, and bonded with them. Had betrayed them, in the end, by the simple act of leaving the life behind.

And he had paid the price.

Gavin was an enforcer. He took care of problems.

Sometimes, those problems had once been people.

"Not important," he shrugs, "any more."

Ash scatters from the tip of his cigarette, and he at last crushes the butt beneath his heel and pockets it. Even infamous terrorists can be against littering.

"The grave should be around here. Luca Liotta was his name." With the assistance of the ever-eager Subject G, Gavin begins to search.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
to the grave [m]
POSTED ON Sept 26, 2022 3:08:24 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]If Isaac ever had any second thoughts about his time with Rocket, this was a fantastic time to take them all and bury them into the deepest, darkest recesses of his mind. Was the organization perfect? Fuck no. Was getting his soul incinerated worth it? Super fuck no![break][break]

Besides, if Isaac was being honest, he found himself agreeing with Isaac more the more time went on. Was it stockholm syndrome setting in, or just putting more trust into the organization as he got to know its members better? Was it disagreement with the League's current structure, or a genuine belief that Rocket's was superior? Were these truly his feelings changing, or was he just clinging to the stability, community, and purpose Rocket gave?[break][break]

Sometimes it was hard to say. At other times, it felt oh so clear.[break][break]

Okay! No more distractions! Luca Liotta. Name should be engraved on the headstone and everything. "Fan out, guys," Isaac suggested. "Sooner we find who we're after, the better. Two to a group. Buddy system, in case any of these guys' friends get any ideas." He gestured with his head towards the pile of fainted Ghost-types, Kurze still keeping a lonely vigil over them.[break][break]

Knuckles paired up with Ringo, her dear friend. Kurze paired up with Sanford, his old rival. Luck & Pluck floated over to Hyacinth's side, the two blademasters coming to an accord. As for Isaac, he was content to stick with Gavin on this one. It was easy to feel safe around a man when you knew not even the dead could escape his wrath.[break][break]

Maybe all his time around was starting to give Isaac a funny definition of the word safe.

[break][break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
to the grave [m]
POSTED ON Sept 26, 2022 7:23:55 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
They fan out, Tyranitar and Dhelmise pairing up while Subject G hitches a ride on the back of the Dodrio. They squawk irritably, but Gavin's miasma curls around them and seems to sedate their foul temper.

Gavin keeps pace with Isaac, amber eyes scanning over graves. Some names are so weathered as to be barely legible, and these are ignored. Liotta was a recent burial, and among the fresh stones on the mountainside his grave eventually comes into view.

It's a simple thing, a stone slab set into the ground with naught but a name and date of birth and death. Liotta had been a Kanto transfer, inducted into the organization against his will in the midst of war. He, like Gavin and many others, had chosen not to take advantage of Cadis' period of amnesty. Any hope of leaving in safety had been dashed, then, and his fate had been sealed when he'd sought refuge with the League. There were no family left to mourn him but those he'd made and betrayed in Rocket.

Gavin spits on his grave.

SHADOW POKEMON are recalled to their capsules, leaving only the Riolu as witness to the golden Steelix who emerges from a retrieved capsule. He'd brought her along special for one purpose: to DIG.

She does so carefully, using her spade-like jaw.

Sitting on another grave nearby, elbows on his knees, Gavin asks, "How do you feel about Rocket?"

A loaded question, given the circumstances.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
to the grave [m]
POSTED ON Sept 26, 2022 17:42:40 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]What a time to ask that question.[break][break]

Gavin was one scary man, but surely he wasn't psychic. Right? Okay. Not ruling anything out here. For a briefvmoment, Isaac imagined Arceus singing in a ridiculous falsetto, hoping that the slightest hint of confusion would out the Underboss' potential psychic prowess. No? Nothing? Okay, good.[break][break]

To Isaac, Rocket was a lot of things. It was an escape from the League's worst sins. It was a monument to their own. It was a powerful force for change in the region. It was a machine designed to fuel its own worst habits. It was a refuge for those with no hopes otherwise. It was a noose they all slipped around their necks, from which they could never escape. It was a deal with the devil, but how could Isaac complain? He was already becoming one of Hell's spiciest imps.[break][break]

"Team Rocket's people who deserve better."[break][break]

Did Isaac mean better than the Leagure, or better than the lot Rocket had given them? He honestly wasn't sure. But what he did know that only one of those two factions gave enough of a rat's ass to hear thrm out. "And it's a movement that'll make sure those people are taken care of, one way or another. Even if we have to do it ourselves."[break][break]

So Isaac has chosen "we." The ease at which he identified with Rocket almost startled him. But was it wrong? He had no interest in lining some fattened up admin's pockets. But the lost, the displaced, the forgotten, the hopeless, the common Grunt . . . they were worth fighting for. And who else would but their fellow Rockets?[break][break]

"If the end of days won't make the League change, nothing will. So why shouldn't we take things into our own hands?"

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
to the grave [m]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2022 1:04:39 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Fortunately for Isaac, Gavin is not psychic. He's passing the time with a question he asks all Rockets he meets eventually. As an underboss, he feels it important to judge the mentality of those beneath him. Were they fresh-faced idealists hoping for the organization to solve their problems? Jaded criminals seeking sanctuary from the law? Psychopaths searching for an outlet for their violence? In Isaac, he seriously doubts the latter.

Idealist, he thinks. Unfortunate.

There is a place for them in Rocket's ranks, but less and less as the organization shifts toward the eventuality of war. The meteor hanging over the collective heads of the world has stayed the fighting in the way little else can, but beyond it? Should they survive?

There will be bloodshed.

"We have," Gavin agrees, of taking things into their own hands. "We will. But are you ready for what that might mean?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
to the grave [m]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2022 2:27:36 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Do I really have a choice?"[break][break]

If Gavin's early read was that of the idealist, then Isaac's response may have been a bit of a surprise. He didn't try to dig in his heels and argue the point. He didn't act like this was going to be some great, bloodless holy war. He didn't puff himself up into something he wasn't. Instead, his assessment of the situation was downright matter-of-fact.[break][break]

"When I joined Rocket, that choice was made for me. Whether I'm ready or not, what's gonna happen is gonna happen. And if anyone's not ready . . ." The ill-fated Spoink mission flashed through Isaac's head. "Things can get real ugly, real fast."[break][break]

Sometimes, being a member of Rocket meant doing the wrong thing for the wrong reasons. Isaac was never going to find it in himself to agree with cruelty for small, petty gains. The Kanto way was a way that Isaac wished would just settle in its grave already. The guard changed for a reason, and the vestiges of the past sent shivers down his spine. But there were moments when there was no right thing to do. There were moments when peoples' success, peoples' freedom, peoples' lives depended on his ability to snap into action. Maybe individual League members were okay. But as an institution, the League wanted him and everyone like him either imprisoned or dead. It was a zero sum game, and one that Isaac couldn't afford to lose.[break][break]

"Ready or not, all I can do is what needs to be done," Isaac said. There were whisperings of a Rocket meeting on the horizon. Was he going to enter it as a wishy-washy coward? Or was he going to rise to the occasion? Even if he never gave up on doing things his way, being passive was no longer an option. "And that means making sure, when the time comes, I can do whatever it takes."[break][break]

The eerie fog of Mt. Pyre settled around Isaac as he gave his answer, sending a shiver down his spine. One way or another, he had chosen death tonight. And he wasn't going to stand aside and let that be his own.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
to the grave [m]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2022 2:55:26 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"There is always a choice." His smile doesn't reach his eyes. "That doesn't mean you'll like the outcome."

Isaac could choose to run, but Rocket would follow.

He shakes his head at what's said next.

"No. When you joined Rocket, you made that choice for yourself."

There were many in Rocket's history who'd been forced at gunpoint to join the organization, but even that had been a choice. Join or die. Gavin had joined willingly, and yet he'd still made his choice when Theo had ordered him to kill a man. Him or you? Those who'd had the luxury of joining Rocket without blood on their hands didn't know the luxury they'd been afforded.

Hoenn was not Kanto, but Rocket were not good.

"Whatever it takes," Gavin echoes, scattering the ash of a cigarette to the wind. "Do you know what that might be?"

How far are you willing to go?

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
to the grave [m]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2022 3:20:53 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"There's the choice where I live to see the next day. And then there's the choice where I die on some hill, the people I care about have one less guy looking out for them, and both the League and Rocket keep on keeping on, same as always. You're right, I've got choices. But there's only one reasonable one."[break][break]

What would running do for him? Put a target on his head on behalf of a powerful, vengeful organization with very clear opinions on dissenters? Let him slide back into a failing system that would continue grinding others under its heel? Take away any sense of stability, community, and purpose that he once had, and kick him right back to square one on hard mode? Yeah, no thanks.[break][break]

But Gavin was right. Even with how these choices were weighted, they were still choices. And no matter how many outside factors pushed and pulled at those choices, he had the final say. "I did," Isaac admitted. "And even with everything I know now, I'd make that choice again."[break][break]

Less than half a year ago, he had been some dumb kid, freshly turned 22, who got in over his head and coerced into signing a deal he'd never come back from. Now? Well, frankly, Isaac didn't know what he was anymore. The past few months had been insane. But there was a failing system, and there was only one outside force big enough to make it bend. And that outside force was built on the backs of those Isaac couldn't turn his back on.[break][break]

Whatever it takes, indeed. "I just saw you erase a man's soul," Isaac said. Gavin's demonstration clearly hadn't fallen on deaf ears. It got the point across in a way that no amount of regular killing could accomplish. Isaac was still hoping that he'd never have to confront either of those possibilities. But the longer he stayed in Rocket, the more of a fool's errand he knew that would be. He'd have to kill. Arceus willing, it would be in self defense, or for some greater good.[break][break]

And that good would have to be pretty great. Because it sure wasn't Rocket.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,889 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
to the grave [m]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2022 4:02:39 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Perhaps," he allows, inclining his head in agreement, "but some still make the opposite choice."

As an enforcer, he'd executed more traitors than he'd care to count. To count their number meant to put value on their lives, and that was something he'd long since been taught was fruitless. A traitor was an enemy, and their enemies were to die.

Simple as that.

He nods to acknowledge the weight of Isaac's words, considering them. After a pause, he allows, "As would I."

Rocket had changed him. Broken and beaten him down, melted his steel to reforge it as a weapon to be wielded for their cause. There was little of Cillian Quinn left in Gavin Merlino; only a name, and a memory. Yet he'd do it all again, because Rocket have raised him to heights he'd never have thought to dream in Galar. Underboss. Avatar. Powerful.

His smile is somber as Isaac acknowledges his crime.

"He betrayed our cause." Gavin stands as the thud of metal on wood signifies the Steelix hitting her mark. The grave is open to them. "I hope that you never do."

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,329 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
to the grave [m]
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2022 16:04:07 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]That may have been the most ominous thing Isaac had ever heard someone say while standing in front of an open grave. It occurred to him just how easy it would be for Gavin to shove him in when their business was finished. It was a long way down, and that Steelix could entomb him before he even knew what was happening.[break][break]

Yet, somehow, Isaac didn't feel afraid anymore. If Gavin was trying to make a threat, he had a million and one tools at his disposal to make it with. Shadow Pokemon. Wrathful spirits. Open graves. His own two hands. Yet he didn't. Even those piercing questions were asked in that same matter of fact, informational tone he had back at their meeting. He wasn't trying to threaten Isaac at all, was he?[break][break]

In a weird, weird fashion, it seemed more like he was trying to protect him.[break][break]

Really, at this point, Isaac shouldn't have been surprised. He was a lamb that dined among the wolves. Of course they'd protect him, even if such protection was within their jaws. He may not have been the picture of a Rocket grunt, but he was quick, and clever, and useful, and filled to the brim with potential. Most importantly, he didn't stand against them. For many Rockets, that was enough. Hell, it was enough for Isaac, too.[break][break]

But potential was just that; potential. If he wanted such goodwill to remain, he'd need to rise to meet it. Even if that meant becoming a sheep in wolf's clothing. "Never," Isaac said, both to lay Gavin's concerns to rest and to ease his own fears. Rocket would have to cross every line in the book to make Isaac risk a soul scrubbing like that. And considering Rocket's true nature was no secret, the nature of such lines was unfathomable.[break][break]

The casket was unearthed now. Isaac nodded Sanford's way, the Dhelmise emptying the grave without a second thought. It was time to see just what secrets even Rocket couldn't leave buried.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,988 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
to the grave [m]
POSTED ON Sept 29, 2022 2:26:45 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: