part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
rapunzel, rapunzel (social)
POSTED ON Oct 16, 2022 21:02:05 GMT
Guillermo Marceliño Avatar
[attr="class","pizzabox"]
[attr="class","top"]
With the end of the world looming and his new responsibilities as ranger Captain of Fortree, Memo was finding increasingly less and less time for self-care.

His exhaustion had reached a sort of fever pitch and he’d only realized how tired he was when he accidentally poured salt into his evening coffee. Both the mistake and the concept of evening coffee hit him like thunder. It was a sobering thought.

That was how he ended up in the bedroom staring into the vanity mirror, fresh from a hot, steamy, shower, and staring down the abyss of… whatever his life had become. Frowning at his reflection, he tugged down the towel that wrapped his hair, letting the long, twisted 'locs spill over one shoulder.

This was something he hadn’t done in quite some time-- really, since he’d gotten to Hoenn. During his transient days he’d kept his hair short-- easier to maintain when you went days without hot water. But now he was safe, stationary, and could afford conditioner and detangler.

It was time to take down his hair.

[attr="class","milkcredit"]MILKY

[newclass=".pizzabox"]--accent:#BDE4A8; position:relative; [/newclass]
[newclass=".pizzabox blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; text-transform:lowercase; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:40px 70px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".pizzabox blockquote b, .pizzabox blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass]
[newclass=".pizzabox .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:470px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]
[newclass=.pizzabox .milkcredit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:25px; right:41px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222; text-transform:uppercase;font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.pizzabox .milkcredit a]font-weight:bold; color:var(--accent)!important;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2022 20:19:25 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

Evening coffee?

Okay, to be fair Alex here was more of a hot chocolate person but… salt, and coffee in the evening?

Truly, that was something rather alarming already in and on itself.

While he knew his boyfriend was busy in the shower, he was out in the kitchen, putzing around and making them some… well, ‘make’ would be a rough approximation, but he was making something in a pot on the stove.

Unsurprisingly, it involved ramen of all things, but… apparently, in some far-off place, this was called ‘budae jjigae’ however he wasn’t too sure how much of a spice tolerance the other had so he had to start with what he guessed was ‘mild’ as he mixed the entire thing together in said pot.

Sausages, some of the remaining frozen dumplings, ground beef, garlic, sliced mushrooms, some [redacted] luncheon meat, baked beans… who the hell could forget about the ramen, though, that was what he was adding to the brew currently bubbling on the stove.

Today was one of those days where he wanted to just be lazy and throw something together.

“Hey, Frog, are you hungry? I made something for us to— he trailed off, letting the food stew as he peeked into the other man’s room and was struck at the somber mood that hung around the place.

“Something…something wrong?” he asked quietly, hitting the brakes and going into ‘overworried Bird’ mode.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
it gets lonely in this gangster's paradise
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
POSTED ON Oct 28, 2022 23:22:36 GMT
[attr="class","top"]
The scent of something warm and spicy filtered in through the bedroom door. It was tempting. Memo stared long and hard at himself in the mirror, wondering if maybe he should just… put it all back up and deal with it later. But he knew that if he didn’t do it now, while he had time, then later might not ever come around.

Alex appearing in the doorway drew his eyes away from the mirror.

“Oh, no, nothing’s wrong,” he assured, mouth curling into a small smile. “Just… dealing with this.” He pointed with the shears to his head, took one of the twisted ‘locs in hand, and snipped the last inch or so off, where it fell to the garbage bag he’d stretched out on the floor beneath his chair.

[newclass=".pizzabox blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; text-transform:lowercase; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:40px 70px; [/newclass]
[newclass=".pizzabox blockquote b, .pizzabox blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass]
[newclass=".pizzabox .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:470px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #232323; [/newclass]
[newclass=.pizzabox .milkcredit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:25px; right:41px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222; text-transform:uppercase;font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.pizzabox .milkcredit a]font-weight:bold; color:var(--accent)!important;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Nov 3, 2022 16:33:50 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The smell wafting from the kitchen was incredibly delicious.

(How would the other react to eating a Frankenstein of mish-mashed meats in a spicy broth, he had no idea. But this was something he was willing to try, for the other man’s sake.)

“You… I haven’t seen you with your hair down,” he admitted as he watched the other snip some length from the dreads the other so frequently favored.

“I think… I think you mentioned that keeping your hair up like that is a bitch and a half,” he smiled quietly from the doorway.

“Why… why don’t you take it all down?”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
POSTED ON Nov 3, 2022 16:59:21 GMT
[attr="class","top"]
“Well…” he said, drawing the last consonants out, as he measuredly, but quickly, snipped a few more ends, “maybe that’s… for the better.”

As for it being a bitch to keep his hair like this…

“It is and it isn’t,” he said, turning to see the back of his head in the mirror. “My hair-- and a lot of hair like mine-- really… only does two things. It poofs, or it locks. Hence, locs. And it’s really just as much about maintenance as any other head of hair. If you don’t shampoo and condition and moisturize and stuff, anybody’s hair could be a mess.”

Snip, snip, snip.

“That's the plan. I started mine in twists so. With a comb and lots of conditioner and detangler and a little patience-- maybe a lot of patience… it’ll come apart.”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Nov 3, 2022 17:04:00 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“When… when was the last time you properly let down your hair?”

The stew on the stove could wait, for now. He knew he had to let it sit in the spicy broth to allow all the meat to cook through properly.

“Like, before now. When?

He couldn’t help but wonder what a straight-haired Frog would look like.

(Maybe a completely different person? Who knew?)

“Because… regardless if you let your hair down or let it stay like that, it’s a part of… it’s a part of what makes you, you.”

Of that he was certain.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
POSTED ON Nov 6, 2022 1:38:26 GMT
[attr="class","top"]
“Ummm… shortly after I came to Hoenn, I think,” Memo said, dumping detangler into his palm once all his ends had been trimmed. “I chopped it all down pretty short and then put it back up.”

He started at his scalp, one twist at a time. The detangler was nice. It smelled like coconuts.

“Hah, yeah, it sure is a part of me, all right,” he said, with a little snort. “An annoying part of me.”

Once everything was well saturated he’d start pulling them apart. His hair wasn’t super tightly packed-- when free, it would bounce everywhere in coiled ringlets. Como un nido de serpientes, my mom used to say. Like a nest of snakes.”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Nov 9, 2022 1:36:19 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The nice, tropical smell permeated through the room as the other man began to… detangle his head of hair.

“I can only imagine how long that takes,” Alexei hummed from the door, still hanging around the border between his boyfriend’s room and the living space just outside.

How is it annoying?” he continued as he returned to the pot on the stove, adding some more water to the stew and giving the pot another stir, making sure to move the meat around (and press the ramen deeper into the bubbling soup) before returning in time to watch the other man’s hair just… uncoil.

“I can see that,” he went on with a small smile on his face as he hung around the doorstep, pondering if he should enter the room or not.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
POSTED ON Nov 10, 2022 1:43:40 GMT
[attr="class","top"]
He spun the comb in his hand with the deft fingers of a well-practiced artisan: this was not his first goat rodeo. Growing up, his mothers and aunts had not been the most gentle of souls-- in a surprising twist, it wasn’t out of an innate cruelty, just, quite simply, they all had lots of children who needed their hair attended to.

“It just… no hace lo que se le dice. It doesn’t do what it’s told.”

There was something to be said about the connection between his hair, his childhood, and his culture, the way he lapsed back into the language of his childhood in moments like this. Like no matter how hard he cut or bit or pulled, he would never completely break free of it.

And, sometimes, that was all right.

“Kinda like me, right?”

He started to work through his hair, one thick twist at a time. It was slow going, and he frequently had to stop to pull on small tangles. One by one, the strands began to separate.

And, as promised, they would spring up and fall down, errant, uncontrolled.

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Nov 10, 2022 2:25:08 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

At his boyfriend’s first statement he couldn’t help but break down into a fit of the quiet giggles because—well, it was true! To some extent at least.

“S-sorry,” he wheezed as he came up from air (after letting gravity do its thing where he sank down due to the laughter that literally bubbled up and escaped him), “…but that—that first thing you said, it’s… it’s true!”

He then forced himself to calm down and take a deep breath, before turning to the stove once more.

“One sec,” he said distractedly as he returned to the kitchen and gave the pot another good stir before turning off the flames and returning to the threshold of the room.

“I… you’re gonna be there forever, lapushka,” he continued quietly. “Can… can I help you? With… you know… taking down your hair?”

The offer was there.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
POSTED ON Nov 11, 2022 20:44:07 GMT
[attr="class","top"]
He watched Alex devolve into a fit of giggles with a wry, but knowing, smile, and a generous roll of his eyes. “Very funny,” he said, fake-insulted as he turned his chin away with a hmph. “I’ll make sure to tell my mom and all my tias that they have an ally in their war against me.”

His sarcasm broke off with a wince as he caught on another small snarl; a few picks later and he was through it. More of his hair was beginning to curl and spring free in an aimless pattern, wild from being locked up for so long.

“Yeah, I know, it’s part of the reason why I never do this.” He huffed at an errant strand that sprung down into his face.

At Alex’s offer to help, he stilled.

“Y-you really want to?”
he said, more shocked that his boyfriend was interested in something as mundane as his hair than anything else. “It’s… you know, time consuming and kind of greasy.”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Nov 13, 2022 20:31:32 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Why not?” was all he would counter with.

“Besides… having an extra pair of hands would make that much faster, right?”

For all the worry he carried on his shoulders, there were times that he was right. Now was one of them.

“Look, by the time we’re done the stew in the pot would be absolutely delicious,” he pointed out. “This thing I’ve cobbled together actually needs time to stew and cook in its own soup for maximum flavor.”

Without even asking, he stepped inside his boyfriend’s room, before approaching him where he was tending to his extremely wild head of hair.

“So… tell me what to do, I’m a quick learner,” he continued, ready to get down to it.

Maybe he did need something else to distract himself, after all.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
POSTED ON Nov 20, 2022 0:01:42 GMT
[attr="class","top"]
Alex seemed hell-bent on assisting. It was touching, though it was really hard to not feel like a burden.

“O-okay,” he said, giving his head a shake to help loosen things up. “Just-- grab a strand and start to work it apart. If you hit a snag, use the thin end of the comb to sort of… pick at it. It hurts less if you squeeze above where you’re pulling.”

It would be a slow, laborious process-- one that, more likely than not, he’d just undo after a couple of days. But his hair could use the reset, and already his curls were starting to pop and bounce, like springs from a t-shirt cannon.

“Oli’s hair is even worse,” he explained, working on another tangle. “She keeps it reaaaaally long and it’s so thick… she used to sit in the chair while my mom brushed it out for hours.”

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Nov 24, 2022 20:24:47 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Why are you so hesitant on letting me in?” he noticed as he took a spot behind his boyfriend’s head and began to untangle the snarls in the other’s hair.

“I don’t know. It’s just. I just noticed that…” he hummed quietly as he came across said snarl and began to detangle it. It was… difficult, to say the least.

“You want to know what I think about my own hair?” he asked the other once he’d managed to detangle the snarl and moved to another section afterward.

“…it’s just the thing that happened to sit atop my head.”

close tab

played by

Ceej

Memo
He/him
August 26
Spikemuth, Galar Region
Homosexual
Ranger Captain
Elite Ranger
awards
1,175 posts
part of
TAG WITH @memo
Guillermo Marceliño
POSTED ON Nov 24, 2022 22:29:50 GMT
[attr="class","top"]
Memo opened his mouth to speak, comb frozen in the air. Closed it again, frowning.

“I’m just-- not used to it. Having someone to let in.” He poured a small amount of detangler in his palm and rubbed the pick end of the comb through it, thinking. “Sorry.”

Singling out a front section, he began to work it apart, flattening it with his fingers before picking at it.

“It’s-- different,” he said, the words coming out between two strong pulls with the comb, “when your hair is tied to your culture, I think.” When you’re raised with the pinnacle of beauty being fair-skinned and, if not straight haired, then at least having hair that does more than two things.

“I like your hair. It’s very-- pretty.”
His words caught on another knot.