played by

Captain

He/Him
October 25
Canalave City
Bisexual
ANVIL General
Ex-Admin
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
1,187 posts
part of
TAG WITH @felix
Felix Gallagher
THE ONLY ONE
POSTED ON Nov 11, 2022 4:09:01 GMT
Felix Gallagher Avatar
It'd been nearly a week since the news came in.

Dead at sixty-five, his father, in their old home in Canalave city, had taken his final breath. According to the nurse who called, it was a peaceful death -- one most people would come to wish for when nearing the end of their well-spent lives. But that only made the pit in his stomach feel worse.

He hadn't told yet. It wasn't as though he didn't trust her enough -- Arceus knows she'd be the only one worth tell telling to, running to, crying to -- but this was Felix. He hadn't thought to call anyone.

The first few days trudged along as normal. Besides his little pitstop at the cemetery, he'd move to and from Sootopolis with general ease, only changing up his schedule when it came down to spending some more time back at home, with , because his little brother deserved at least that much out of him. The weight of realization didn't truly settle in until Wednesday, followed by Thursday, when he couldn't even get out of bed. Now it was Friday, and more than anything else, all he wanted to do was run across the region to see the one person that had managed to flood his mind whenever silence befell him and the alternative grew far too grim to withstand.

And so, he gave her door one heavy knock.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,118 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
THE ONLY ONE
POSTED ON Nov 11, 2022 5:15:48 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana b"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]the knock comes as a surprise, drawing her out of the distracted task of brushing knotted fur out of an eevee's fur. her eevee mewls softly and she retracts the brush, setting it down on the side table before scooping the eevee up into her arms and heading for the door.

it opens a moment later and she flashes a smile as the eevee begins to wag its tail.

"hey."

her expression softens into affection.

"i didn't know you were coming over."

she would've looked more presentable than wearing sweat pants and one of his shirts...

it dawns on her, then, that there's a hint of something in the air around him. perhaps it's nothing more than a figment of the imagination but a slight gnawing in her gut wants her to lean into the hunch. it prompts her to shift the eevee to one hip and reach for his hand with her newly freed one. she gives a light tug toward the interior of her home, fingers lacing into his.

"how're you doing?"

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana b] color: #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Captain

He/Him
October 25
Canalave City
Bisexual
ANVIL General
Ex-Admin
awards
1,187 posts
part of
TAG WITH @felix
Felix Gallagher
THE ONLY ONE
POSTED ON Nov 11, 2022 5:49:35 GMT
Felix Gallagher Avatar
Like the roaring sun, when the door creaked open, a beam of light poured over him, basking him in its comforting warmth.

"Sorry for not calling," He murmured, hand rubbing the back of his neck. When was the last time he felt this restless? "Can I come in?"

Their fingers naturally laced together as she led him further into her humble apartment. His grip was tighter than normal, wound up by the pounding that still thrummed against his chest, suffocating his ears with the same persistent sound that used to cradle him to sleep growing up.

"I'm okay."

He wasn't. Far from it. But he didn't know -- clueless as ever, the man was running off of pure instinct.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,118 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
THE ONLY ONE
POSTED ON Nov 12, 2022 2:24:53 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]her smile warms.

"nothing to be sorry for."

he could show up whenever he wanted, really. she'd never turn him away, call or not.

his grip is unusually tight, as if he's holding onto a lifeline. she subconsciously begins tracing small, soothing circular patterns into the top of his hand with her thumb.

and she doesn't lead him very far, stopping in the living room and settling onto the couch. her eevee waits until felix is settled down on the couch before it tries to climb into his lap to curl up.

"are you sure?"

it's soft, hesitant. she doesn't want to pry, doesn't want to press buttons she doesn't know about but... well, she can't shake the concept that something is off.

after a moment, she leans into his side for warmth and tries to ask a different question.

"did you come to hang out?"

[newclass=.illeana] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illeana i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Captain

He/Him
October 25
Canalave City
Bisexual
ANVIL General
Ex-Admin
awards
1,187 posts
part of
TAG WITH @felix
Felix Gallagher
THE ONLY ONE
POSTED ON Nov 12, 2022 6:14:45 GMT
Felix Gallagher Avatar
Heat smeared his skin, burning him from the inside out. It'd been years since a similar feeling washed over him, years since electricity sparked through the currents of his veins, and anxiety -- the need to stay on his feet -- pricked his legs, jolting him forward with each unsteady step he took forward.

Even as he settled down onto the couch, and a cuddly eevee came to nestle itself into the warmth of his lap, the feeling didn't dare fade.

"Something like that," He murmured, voice uneven. Unsure of itself.

His were kept trained onto the corners of her tv, switching from one to another, in a rhythmic fashion, all in an attempt to avoid her gaze and unanswered questions.

Eventually, he settled with a simple truth, "I just...wanted to see you."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,118 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
THE ONLY ONE
POSTED ON Nov 12, 2022 6:43:05 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]she squeezes soft affection into his hand, as if attempting to comfort something she doesn’t know.

and in a way, she sort of is.

her eevee settles quietly and, before long, slips into a cozy nap on felix’s lap. and while she wants to blissfully exist in the concept that he simply just wanted to see her, that gnawing feeling won’t die.

”felix.”

her head turns to find his eyes but they’re distracted, hiding in corners.

she’s certain, then, that there’s something like a copperjah in the room and her smile grows smaller, more timid.

”i — do you want to talk about it?”

whatever he’s feeling, whatever he’s experiencing…

close tab

played by

Captain

He/Him
October 25
Canalave City
Bisexual
ANVIL General
Ex-Admin
awards
1,187 posts
part of
TAG WITH @felix
Felix Gallagher
THE ONLY ONE
POSTED ON Nov 13, 2022 6:19:30 GMT
Felix Gallagher Avatar
"No."

The response came fast, without a single doubt to slow it down. Even if he did, where does one start? Where would it end?

Illeana's soft, yet firm, squeeze did its best to calm the rising flames inside, but try as it did, there was nothing that could extinguish the raw heat that seared into his heart and chest.

Felix let out a heavy, pent-up breath.

"Sorry," The hunched man murmured. It wasn't fair to tug her emotions along with his. Even if his feelings were indiscernible, like a map that cannot be read, or a flashing signal that had lost its means of communication, it didn't give him the right to muddle her heart as well.

"It's just that... my dad. He died a few days ago."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,118 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
THE ONLY ONE
POSTED ON Nov 13, 2022 6:30:55 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]ah…

like a rug being pulled out from under her, realization dawns fast and hard.

and in a way, she understands. death is a funny concept. it’s not complicated to wrap the brain around but to heal emotions, soul, and fleeting what ifs causes more pain than the act itself.

her grip tightens on his hand slightly.

”i’m so sorry, felix…”

and really, she is. to lose anyone, let alone a parent… it’s a special kind of pain.

sometimes, though, she wonders if sympathy helps at all. it didn’t when she had been in a position of loss, at least. nothing healed except the agonizing crawl of time.

”how are you holding up?” it’s a roundabout way of asking how he’s handling not just his own emotions but ’s too…

and despite herself, she snuggles a little closer into his side with a persistent warmth.

close tab

played by

Captain

He/Him
October 25
Canalave City
Bisexual
ANVIL General
Ex-Admin
awards
1,187 posts
part of
TAG WITH @felix
Felix Gallagher
THE ONLY ONE
POSTED ON Nov 16, 2022 20:00:51 GMT
Felix Gallagher Avatar
A heavy weight hung over his chest, forcing his breath tight and his lungs compressed. Every second he spent there, alive and breathing and wrapped around Illeana, was another second he spent in an agonizing debate, as his heart and mind continuously flicked back and forth, confused and lost, and unsure of it's self.

Truthfully, Illeana's words did little to qualm the ache that ebbed across his body, but like a heat pad, the warmth she provided at least numbed the symptoms of existence.

"I'm okay," he murmured, voice still low. Small. "," the pained look of his younger brother flashed across his mind. Memories of that first night they spent contemplating both themselves and their hollow relationship with their father were the type of moments he'd take to the grave. In some ways, it felt nice to be given a moment, untouched by the world and it's sticky fingers, where he could cherish this bond, he might never have had otherwise.

In that way, at least their father had left them something of substance.

"He's okay. We're managing through this together."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,118 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
THE ONLY ONE
POSTED ON Nov 19, 2022 2:58:47 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]in the midst of it all, she finds a small fact: she doesn't know what to say.

death is such a permanent thing and she doesn't quite know if anything can really help the process. time, perhaps, is the only healer of existence because her healing mist sure as hell won't help here.

and yet, there's an understanding that he's not entirely being truthful. she doesn't blame him, really.

"it's okay if you're not okay."

it's small, quiet reassurance. a lack of judgement. perhaps it'll be of some help.

the longer she looks at him, the clearer realization becomes: she wouldn't know how to react if it were her father instead of his. would she feel happy? sad? angry? relieved?

she keeps a torn expression at bay, reigning the structure of her face into something more patient than at a loss.

"you don't have to feel it all at once, either."

it does, often, come in waves. and some are more difficult than others to overcome.

close tab

played by

Captain

He/Him
October 25
Canalave City
Bisexual
ANVIL General
Ex-Admin
awards
1,187 posts
part of
TAG WITH @felix
Felix Gallagher
THE ONLY ONE
POSTED ON Nov 21, 2022 18:27:51 GMT
Felix Gallagher Avatar

"It's okay if you're not okay."

Illeana was right; it did come in waves. And today, after pushing the feelings off for an entire week, it was at its most turbulent. A hurricane of unfamiliar emotions threatening to pull the floorboards from beneath his very feet and bring down the very foundations of his existence.

In a sudden jerk of movements, he pushed himself forward into her side, wrapping both arms around her shoulders, tight and desperate.
Everyday Felix was drowning.

Whether it be in work, training, business, or anything else he could weaponize against himself, to prevent the very few emotions he had left from trickling in unexpectedly.

And, sometimes, when the weight of the water has grown much too strong, his lungs look to be on the brink of collapsing, he wonders what it would be like if he could only swim.

Fortunately, with Illeana here, he didn't have to wonder. With his arms clung around her, like someone wearing a life vest, he could just float.

"I don't get it," He murmured into her hair, "I hated him all my life. More than anyone else, I hated him. So why does it hurt so much to know that he's gone?"

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,118 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
THE ONLY ONE
POSTED ON Nov 22, 2022 19:51:33 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]the sudden rush forward catches her off guard, a soft inhale of surprise sounding out. his arms are a vice grip around her, tight and desperate and holding on for dear life.

she turns toward his body slowly before bringing her arms around him. it’s a soft, comforting sort of embrace, with soothing circles tracing into his back.

”sometimes, we never get it.”

death, life, everything in between… it never truly makes sense in the way we want.

she holds him a little closer, snuggling as he murmurs into her hair.

”i think… you’re mourning what could have been more than him.”

the what if always haunts more than the legacy they’ve left behind.

”it’s okay to be hurt despite the past, felix.”

and isn’t that a tough pill to swallow?

close tab

played by

Captain

He/Him
October 25
Canalave City
Bisexual
ANVIL General
Ex-Admin
awards
1,187 posts
part of
TAG WITH @felix
Felix Gallagher
THE ONLY ONE
POSTED ON Dec 1, 2022 0:28:36 GMT
Felix Gallagher Avatar

"Is it?"

His answer came out harsher than he intended; a byproduct to the emotions that swelled in his throat.

"Is it really okay to feel like this?"

Because, for a man whose dedicated his entire life to fixing the mistakes of his father, the taste of regret was bitter. Wrong. It held the flavor of two-weeks old pasta that one might debate the pros and cons of giving it a taste.

Did Illeana even know the extent of it all? Probably not. Even when he was young, Felix preferred to keep his family's business to himself. The less people know, the easier it is to swallow down his realities and pretend everything is fine. That if he just pushes through to the next day, everything wrong about yesterday will just fade away, as if it never existed in the first place. But the willpower to push through

Felix's voice faded into a soft hum again.

"Because I hate it. He doesn't deserve someone mourning for him like this. Not after all he's done to hurt us."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,118 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
THE ONLY ONE
POSTED ON Dec 1, 2022 0:43:11 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illeana"]
[attr="class","illeana i"]”yes.”

it lacks the matched harshness but it lands harder, perhaps, with an inherent softness.

”it’s okay to feel.”

whatever rises, it’s okay. bitterness, sadness, anger, regret, relief. each emotion is warranted. each feeling has a purpose.

she hesitates for a moment before raising a hand and lightly running it through the ends of his hair. it’s gentle, feathery, relaxing.

and while she doesn’t know what his father has done, she can only assume based on her own father’s actions. they were, after all, close friends. it breeds a concept she understands, one of pain and childhood memories buried so deep into the ground they can’t even threaten to break through.

”then don’t mourn for him, felix. mourn for yourself, for .”

close tab

played by

Captain

He/Him
October 25
Canalave City
Bisexual
ANVIL General
Ex-Admin
awards
1,187 posts
part of
TAG WITH @felix
Felix Gallagher
THE ONLY ONE
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2023 18:37:49 GMT
Felix Gallagher Avatar
Her words struck a chord within him.

Mourn for himself? When was the last time he'd done anything for him and him alone? The idea alone felt foreign on his own tongue; a mismatched puzzle piece that just didn't fit.

It's not long before he could feel specs of heat dotting the corners of his eyes.

"How," He asked her, though, the harsh quake of his voice masked it more as a demand than the cowardly yelp that it was. What it felt like to mourn, to feel this hollow grasp of his own heart shattering -- these were all concepts he'd never had to dealt with before. Emotions he'd swallowed far before facing himself. "How, Illie, how do I...?"

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights