Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Sword of the Surviving Guardian [S]
POSTED ON Mar 15, 2023 17:22:25 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Like any good mentor, always had an eye open for more opportunities to develop Isaac's abilities. While his hand to hand lessons had been progressing very nicely, his eye injury had put the kibosh on anything more lethal for the longest time.[break][break]

That time had now come to an end.[break][break]

It had been four months since the tragedy on Mt. Pyre, and Isaac had taken great strides towards compensating for his vision loss. He'd developed a need to ensure it would never happen again, which gave him exactly the drive he needed to excel. Most importantly, Zev had found a suitable mentor, someone whose mettle he has tested himself and found more than suitable for the task.[break][break]

Zev being Zev, Isaac knew there'd be strings attached. But he'd be lying if he said the idea of learning how to actually use weapons properly didn't sound rad. For now, he was excited to check the place out and cross the bridge of Zev's designs when he came to it.[break][break]

He wouldn't be coming with Zev, but he wouldn't be coming alone, either. A quintet of blademaster's Pokeballs lined his belt. While Isaac wasn't sure how much the lessons would carry over, there was no harm in seeing if his team could learn as well, right?[break][break]

Once he was all packed and ready, he made his way to Fortree City, mind racing as he wondered just what the Flying Sword School would be like.

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Robin

Master Flying Sword
he/him
June 16
Fortree City
Bi (But mostly men)
Swordsman + Coach
Civilian
23 height
23 height
Be the power to compel me, hold me closer than anyone before
awards
170 posts
part of
TAG WITH @finnegan
Finnegan Yang
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2023 17:02:12 GMT
Finnegan Yang Avatar

"Down. Down. Down."

Like a soldier inspecting his troops, Finn strode with weight and momentum down the rows of students doing push-ups on the main square. His emerald kimono billowed behind him, a lone speck of green in a slate grey field, as he paced past one trainee struggling to get himself off the floor.

"Clench your core and use your back." Finn's tone was firm, measured but somehow encouraging, like the weight of a cool river rock in your hand. He bent down to place a finger gently in the centre of the flailing student's upper back, right where he should feel that contraction, and braced him by the side as the trainee finally lifted his torso off the ground with a laboured grunt.

"Well done."

If you listened closely, you could hear the smile in his voice.

Despite his tough exterior, Finn was an understanding and fair teacher, but some students truly tested his resolve to be fair and professional. Zev, a recent addition to the school, was one such person. When Finn told Zev that he'd admit him if he managed to snag his glass off his palm, he expected chasing, snatching and agility... not being choked until his vision faded.

Luckily, Zev had already come in for the week.

As Finn made to push his knee off the square, he saw a new face emerge from the school's main gate. There was no way of missing him - he wore a patch on one eye, something none of Finn's current students wore.

"Class, break up into pairs for drills."

Yes, Master!

As his students dispersed like a flock of Taillow, Finn walked up to the young man to examine him closely. He seemed somewhat lost and expectant, just like Zev did when he wandered in on that fateful day.

"Can I help you?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2023 17:36:35 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]It was all too easy to spot who the school's instructor was. Who else could send a crowd of people scattering with but a single firm, gentle sentence? He navigated the floors of this dojo with an ease that went beyond practiced? No, it was natural, as if the man had been born to guide.[break][break]

Whether in the sub or in 's apartment, Isaac's trainings always had a different atmosphere from this, colder and rougher aroundcthe edges. Compared to how he trained his Pokemon, it was far firmer and more organized. Despite the unfamiliarity, it didn't seem bad. If anything, it was almost compelling.[break][break]

Oh! He was being spoken to now. Isaac pulled his wandering mind back down to earth, shooting the instructor a winning smile. "Oh, hello," he said, not wanting to just barge in making demands like he owned the place. "Would you be able to tell me a little about what the training here is like?"[break][break]

"A fr-" The word refused to come out, sticking to Isaac's tongue like flypaper. There were a million and one ways to describe his complicated relationship with Zev, but that one just didn't fit. "Co-worker of mine started training here lately, and he thinks it'd be a really good fit for me, too."[break][break]

If only Isaac knew the memories he risked conjuring up for this poor, hard-working instructor.[break][break]

[break][break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Robin

Master Flying Sword
he/him
June 16
Fortree City
Bi (But mostly men)
Swordsman + Coach
Civilian
23 height
23 height
awards
170 posts
part of
TAG WITH @finnegan
Finnegan Yang
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2023 0:50:59 GMT
Finnegan Yang Avatar

This young man pulled up a bright smile in a slick, sure way. Finn stopped to wonder where he'd seen this before, but kept his thoughts to himself. Outwardly, he stood poised as a Swellow.

So, he wanted to know about training. Finn smiled gently and waved a robed hand at the trainees behind him. Some did static bodyweight exercises, some sparred with wooden swords. Grunts and honest laughter peppered the crisp air. Finn's fringe flickered in the wind.

"This is where you'd begin. Our neophytes train up their basics in the outer courts, and those who wish to dive deeper work inwards into the school."

Flying Sword School was a great place to progress if you knew where you stood, the rites of decorum and honour. Thoughts about his recent recruitment misadventure faded away as he listened to the young man speak. He seemed bright, eager to learn. He'd heard about them from someone he had to think twice about calling a friend. Finn's eyebrow raised by a hair's width. Who would provoke such doubt?

And it hit him.

Even though he kept his face as restrained as possible, Finn felt like a Swellow struck by a Thunderbolt. So that was where he had seen this performance before.

"Harcourt."

Finn had to take a calming breath.

"And what did he tell you about why you might be a good fit for us?"

This was not a good fit for people like Zev. Finn let him in because he won on a technicality. If this man was anything like him, Finn wouldn't hesitate to throw him out like he wished he could have with Zev. Finn braced his core. Anything could happen now. Maybe he would throw his elbow into Finn's face.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2023 3:52:09 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]As a man who worked with people from all walks of life, Finn had a strong customer service face. Even then, the change in his demeanor was palpable. The way a quick, sharp breath cut through his easygoing demeanor . . . the way his stance tightened, just as his did when bracing for a spar . . .[break][break]

, what did you do to this poor man?

"I think he was hoping it'd toughen me up some. Get me a little more decisive," Isaac said, doing his best in turn to not let his own worries show. "We both work at the same bar, y'see. But I've always been more the honey than vinegar type, if you catch my drift, and he wants to make sure if anyone's too rowdy for words that I can handle myself."[break][break]

Not a single thing Isaac said was a lie. However, he was all too happy to deal in incomplete truths. Airing that they were part of a very dangerous organization would be unwise, especially when Isaac was far less committed than his counterpart.[break][break]

Still, even with his attempts at being diplomatic, something didn't add up. Concern flickered across his face as he looked Finn up and down. "He, uh. He left an impression, huh?" he asked, trying to find the most polite way of communicating the idea. "Yeah. Yeah, that's Zev alright. He can get a little . . ."[break][break]

Brutal? Cruel? Sociopathic? Dangerous? Prepared to take these lessons and use them to try and mold Isaac into an unwilling weapon? Most likely convinced that he'd somehow made a good impression on Finn while Zev-ing it up?[break][break]

". . . intense, sometimes."

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Robin

Master Flying Sword
he/him
June 16
Fortree City
Bi (But mostly men)
Swordsman + Coach
Civilian
23 height
23 height
awards
170 posts
part of
TAG WITH @finnegan
Finnegan Yang
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2023 8:50:33 GMT
Finnegan Yang Avatar

Isaac's words left a lot unsaid, and that's what the swordsman was trying to pin down. Finn scanned Isaac, his eyes sharp like a Fearow's break. The pauses, the spaces between his words, concealed thoughts like screens. The blade of Finn's mind pressed against them, testing for a break.

"If you're talking about rowdy, Zev is more than capable of training you himself." Finn spoke without heat, but his words were clipped and sharp.

But, as Finn taught his students to do, he took a step out of himself to look at his mind from an observer's point. Yes, Zev burst into the school and wouldn't take no for an answer - but he was Finn's student now. And Zev wasn't Isaac. If anything, Isaac seemed aware of how... Intense - the word Isaac had used after mentally browsing a list of much plainer descriptions - his... Coworker was.

Seems like a lot was left open to future discovery. But if Isaac was to get thrown out of the gates, he should earn it on his own terms, and not by association. And so, too, for his entrance.

Finn loosened up and the air around him changed. He was being, or was trying to be, open to new possibilities.

"That's why Zev wants you to learn. Why do you want to learn?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2023 17:15:53 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"He has. But it's not like one style's gonna teach you everything, right?" With Finn's current assessment of , perhaps it would come as a surprise that the other man had come up with such a legitimate martial artist's assessment. Yet whether in the more high-minded terms of martial arts philosophy, or in the pragmatic view through which Zev viewed the world, the truth of the statement still resonated.[break][break]

So, too, did the truth that Finn brought to the table. Up until now, he'd asked for Zev's reasons. Now he wanted to hear Isaac's own.[break][break]

Immediately, something in the man's face changed. An unbroken tension released, as if he no longer had to hold up his own end of an invisible bargain. "Man, have you seen the region lately?" he asked. "This place has been a madhouse, and it's only been getting crazier."[break][break]

"Don't get me wrong. I don't think I'm just gonna grab a sword, charge off, and save the world. But . . . " His mind went to his friends and loved ones in Team Rocket, who cared for and depended on him. It went to the innocents he met along the way, who he wanted to be able to protect if but for one day. It went to his Pokemon, who he couldn't keep asking to defend him without doing his part in turn.[break][break]

It went to himself, were he to ever find the strength to leave as he knew he should.[break][break]

"There are people important to me who I want to keep safe." He knew he'd never burden Finn with the specifics. Most of these were secrets he'd take to the grave, both his hopes and fears alike. But at least he could share where his heart was coming from, and hope it resonated.[break][break]

"Besides, it isn't just for me." Isaac looked at his Pokeball belt, then pulled the breakway release on it. Pokeballs fell from around him, exploding into a peal of red light. When the dust settled, he was surrounded. A Ceruledge loomed over his shoulder, glowering in Finn's direction with tensed posture. A Bisharp in a tattered mantle stood in the shade, and a Lurantis let its blooms unfurl to take in the sun. A blackened Aegislash protectively hovered in front of him, a red Doublade poking out from behind its King's Shield. Finally, a Ralts curiously looked at the bunch, before Teleporting up to take a perch on Isaac's head.[break][break]

"I want to make sure I can give these guys the training they deserve, too," Isaac said. "If I'm able to learn the ways of the sword, I might be able to understand them on a new level. And in turn, maybe they can help me understand more about myself, too. That's what this whole journey's about, right?"[break][break]

He thought of the days when the Pokemon League represented a chance for young trainers and their Pokemon to grow and learn from one another as they made their way out into the world. Now, with how dangerous things had become, who was even letting kids roam the world? Now the League was an iron-fisted government, pushing back against the assault of a literal terrorist cell as the region and its people felt the pressure of the two unstoppable forces colliding.[break][break]

"Or, at least, that's what it should be . . ."

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Robin

Master Flying Sword
he/him
June 16
Fortree City
Bi (But mostly men)
Swordsman + Coach
Civilian
23 height
23 height
awards
170 posts
part of
TAG WITH @finnegan
Finnegan Yang
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2023 15:50:10 GMT
Finnegan Yang Avatar

Isaac's words felt like a Taillow's gust, a fresh wind of openness and possibility. Finn nodded deeply as he listened in admiration of Isaac's courage; in embarrassment that he'd judged Isaac by association. Isaac had everything Finn wanted to see in a student. Not only was he brave, he was compassionate too. The sword work can be taught. What takes a much longer time to develop is the state of the student's heart. 

Finn's smile was sincere, humbled. He felt like he was proud of Isaac even before he'd properly enrolled. 

"If I measure a teacher by his student, that means Zev has depths that I have not understood. Or, perhaps, you should teach him instead." 

Now that he knew the man's heart, he had to know his skill.

"There's just one thing left I want to see." 

Finn spiralled to face his students and raised a hand with such simplicity but so much assuredness that he could have parted a cloud in the sky. His footsteps, soft but crisp, sounded like a drumbeat.

"Students, to the side!" 

The air shifted. Static tingled around them as students in grey training uniforms scattered from the centre of the large, earthen square. Shocked exclamations rustled amongst them in response to this sudden change in lesson plan, and at Isaac's impressive team of Pokemon. Finn strode across the arena, addressing all of them at once. 

"Class, this young man stands a chance of becoming one of you. Watch respectfully." Murmurs broke out amongst the trainees, but Finn's sharp action drew them to a weighted, awed silence - with the slicing certainty of a Gallade's shadow, Finn took his steel fighter's crown off his spiky green fringe and held it towards his challenger. 

"Take this off my hands and you may enter my school."

And then, impulsively, as memories of nearly having his neck crushed by Zev flashed across his mind, Finn threw his other hand out in an uncharacteristic break and interjected himself. "But please try not to kill me in the process." Having allowed himself this brief moment of spontaneity, Finn composed himself again, holding his crown in front of him like a bullfighter's red flag. His students' eyes zoomed back and forth between their teacher and his challenger, examining them both. Some of them had found themselves in this situation too, not too long ago. They rooted silently for Isaac, but they also wanted to see if he was worthy. 

"Ran! You're up!" Finn's voice rang as clear as a Flash.

Ran, Finn's Primeape, answered Finn's call, charging to his trainer's side.  

"One on one. Three Pokemon maximum. Remember, your aim is not to win a battle - it's to get this from me." 

Finn's eyes glinted like his steel crown. He was itching to see how Isaac would fare.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2023 18:02:49 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"] had depths that Finn didn't know about, alright. Whether Finn wanted to even begin plumbing those depths or not was another story entirely. Isaac had seen beneath the man's mask more than many others, and even he knew he had barely scratched the surface. Part of Isaac wanted to keep delving into the mystery. Another part of him knew the deeper her stared into the abyss, the more dangerous it became.[break][break]

Still, did Finn really believe that? Being praised by a renowned instructor got Isaac blushing slightly.[break][break]

By the time he could come up with a response, the atmosphere shifted once more. The students parted like the sea in Groudon's presence. The dirt training square turned into a gym trainer's arena. Finn drew his crown from his head, holding it welcomingly yet securely towards Isaac and his team.[break][break]

Finn had thrown down the gauntlet. It was time for Isaac to prove his worth.[break][break]

He'd also thrown out an all too important clarification. Suddenly, Isaac put 2 and 2 together. Was this how Zev had gotten into the school? Had he decided the quickest way between two points was a straight line, and done something characteristically Zev-like to try and secure the win? If there was anything Isaac knew about his mentor, it was that he regarded any and all situations with high-stakes decisiveness.[break][break]

"I'll give it my best," Isaac said, a confident grin spreading across his face. "C'mon, Reverb! You're with me on this one!" Perhaps it would seem strange to Finn when, after all of the large, strong, powerful Pokemon Isaac had brought out, he ended up calling upon the Ralts flopped over on his head. Nevertheless, Reverb looked up, waving cheerfully towards Finn and his Primeape.[break][break]

And then Pokemon and trainer alike disappeared.[break][break]

Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Warp after warp, teleport after teleport. Sometimes they were in front of Finn. Sometimes they were behind him. Sometimes they were closer. Sometimes they were further. They were teleporting fast enough to make Isaac and Reverb dizzy, let alone their foe. But if they wanted that crown, they were going to have to work their butts off for it.[break][break]

Finally, they appeared to the side of Finn's crown-holding arm, Isaac tossing a hand out to try and grab it. Would the element of surprise allow him to score an early snatch, or would he learn the hard way of the swordsman's superior composure?

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Robin

Master Flying Sword
he/him
June 16
Fortree City
Bi (But mostly men)
Swordsman + Coach
Civilian
23 height
23 height
awards
170 posts
part of
TAG WITH @finnegan
Finnegan Yang
POSTED ON Mar 21, 2023 15:28:52 GMT
Finnegan Yang Avatar

And they were off.

Finn didn't actually need to conduct trials like this, but he felt the call of a good battle in his blood. A hundred eyes weighed down on the arena. Finn felt that attention keenly; he knew Isaac could too. And so far, Isaac was showing promise.

Isaac and Reverb flashed in and out of sight, near and far. Finn's students gasped as their eyes zig-zagged across the arena, trying to discern some pattern to their teleports. Conversely, Finn and Ran stood still. They broadened their focus, their senses rippling out from the borders of their skin. Isaac and Reverb were certainly adventurous in strategy, but the Ralts was still young. Teleporting was an art of precision. Shunt yourself between dimensions too brusquely and air rushes in to fill the vacuum your body leaves behind.

Pop. Pop. Pop. Finn might not see them, but he could hear them perfectly. Right within arm's reach, he could feel their arrival in his hair.

"Ran, now! Make the ground dance!"

Finn's Primeape bellowed and drove one foot deep into the ground, sending shock waves exploding out across the square in circles of crushing force. Finn himself swung out a sword and stabbed it into the ground, anchoring himself to the spot as the earth shifted around him. Primeape used Stomping Tantrum!

The crown was safe for now!

"Listen with all your senses! Now, Ran - Rage Fist!" Finn couldn't help but make use of this chance to teach his students something. Veins popped in Ran's skull as his fists ignited with ghostly power. He leaped into the air, crashing down towards Reverb!

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2023 3:05:16 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]The Stomping Tantrum left Isaac weak in the knees. What could have been a solid grab at the crowd instead turned into a attempt at holding his balance. Isaac extended his arms and dropped his center of gravity best he could, while Reverb settled for holding onto his collar for dear life and trying not to get knocked off.[break][break]

As they got their bearings, Ran got his faster. The Primeape leaped into the air, spectral energy lighting around his fist as he prepared a diving fist drop. Isaac was poised and ready. Reverb, between the teleportation spam and the churning earth, wasn't. The poor Ralts was still clutching his head as he was cast in Ran's shadow.[break][break]

Thinking fast, Isaac scooped the Ralts off of his shoulders. With a call of "Alley oop!" he tossed Reverb in the air, less like he was in a Pokemon battle and more like he was playing with a baby. He'd be fine, right? Surely, humans counted as Normal type![break][break]

Oops, wrong bet! A heavy crack to the jaw sent Isaac tumbling to the floor.[break][break]

Luckily, Reverb was on the ball. Before Isaac could land gracelessly, Reverb's horns began to pulsate with Psychic energy. A purple aura surrounded Isaac, allowing Reverb to push Isaac back onto his feet. He lacked a lot of his senior Ralts' finer control, but the woozy Isaac nonetheless caught him on the way down in much the same way.[break][break]

It was quite the spectacle. It was also, if only inadvertently, the perfect distraction. The shadows beneath Finn's feet would start to ripple and shudder. Then, taking care to avoid the man himself, a shadowy blade would launch from the pool. Its destination was the circular part of the crown, aiming to snatch the prize as if it was a carnival ring toss.[break][break]

With one mystery Pokemon left to go, Luck & Pluck the Aegislash had entered the battle.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Robin

Master Flying Sword
he/him
June 16
Fortree City
Bi (But mostly men)
Swordsman + Coach
Civilian
23 height
23 height
awards
170 posts
part of
TAG WITH @finnegan
Finnegan Yang
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2023 9:06:48 GMT
Finnegan Yang Avatar

Finn winced when Ran socked Isaac across the jaw. Oh, man. That's gotta hurt. Sympathy wrinkled Finn's eyes but the man recovered his hard glare in an instant. Isaac made a choice, and it was his fallout to bear. But somehow, Isaac pulled through. Finn's gaze narrowed approvingly at how Isaac and Reverb worked together with so much unspoken trust.

Gasps from the crowd pulled Finn's awareness back into his body, and he noticed it getting darker beneath his feet even though the sun glared on. Finn's mind raced like slicing blades and spurred him into action. Think later; do something first.

"Take this and go." Finn slipped his crown into Ran's paw and the monkey tumbled off just in time to avoid being lanced by an Aegislash. The hem of Finn's robe beat in the dark wind that rushed from his side.

Finn locked eyes with Isaac.

"What happened to one on one?" His expression was unreadable, impossible to place - was he mad or did he appreciate Isaac's magic trick?

Seems like the same mischievous streak ran in both Zev and Isaac. But, unlike the previous applicant, Isaac seemed to have enough good inside him for Finn to brush this off. Totally unflappable, Finn slipped his hand into his robe, his indeterminate expression settling into a crooked smile.

"Remember, you started it."

Bawang, a Gyarados, roared like the gates of hell flung wide, and Finn's students recoiled and shrieked. Finn rarely called upon Bawang, and his students knew that he meant business whenever he appeared. Like a Swellow, Finn hopped onto Bawang's car-sized head, where Ran joined him too. Up on his blue dragon, his crown in one hand and his sword in another, Finn looked every inch like his title - Master Flying Sword.

"Try sneaking up on me again!" Finn laughed. Surprisingly, he was taking all of this very easily. Mentally, he'd already accepted Isaac - and, if Isaac managed to get one up over him, then he'd absolutely have to take him in.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2023 13:44:22 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Huh?"[break][break]

Isaac's eyes made one last, dizzy loop before meeting Finn's own. What happened to one on one? What did he mean? hadn't shown up to crash the party, had he?[break][break]

His question was answered when Luck & Pluck zoomed up like a dad at a little league game. The sword gestured to Finn, then to Isaac, then held up a tassel. 1. He made a sweeping motion to the students, then crossed his arms as if to indicate "no." Finally, he pointed to Reverb, then to himself, before holding up 2 tassels, then 3.[break][break]

Isaac blinked rapidly, trying to figure out what the hell kind of charades were going on here. Then realization hit him and he burst into laughter. "Arceus, buddy, I don't think that's what he meant!" he gasped out between laughs. "I'm sorry, he's just. He's protective sometimes."[break][break]

The image of a worked-up zweihander talking with his hands like an Alto Marean was going to follow Isaac to the grave.[break][break]

Luckily, Finn seemed to take the mistake in stride. So in stride, in fact, that he sent out a Pokemon of his own. So in stride that this Pokemon sent his students recoiling, as if they ready knew what this meant. So in stride that he laughed in triumph atop a towering azure dragon.[break][break]

Isaac tried to play it cool. He really did. However, there was always something electric about getting swept up in another's passions, and the glee Finn took in mounting atop his Gyarados was infectious. "Sheesh, talk about the red carpet treatment," Isaac said, his grin creeping up from ear to ear. "Guess I'm really gonna have to step my game up, huh?"[break][break]

He extended a hand, Luck & Pluck tumbling through the air to nestle into the crook of his grip. The King's Shield braced itself against his free arm. "Good! Let's do this!"[break][break]

It was a dramatic, grand spectacle. Reverb kicked things off, swirling his hands to kick up a swarm of Magical Leaves. Directed by pure psychic power, they danced through the air, trying to swarm in front of the Gyarados' vision and distract him.[break][break]

How else was Isaac supposed to make a beeline for the great sea dragon's tail?

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Robin

Master Flying Sword
he/him
June 16
Fortree City
Bi (But mostly men)
Swordsman + Coach
Civilian
23 height
23 height
awards
170 posts
part of
TAG WITH @finnegan
Finnegan Yang
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2023 14:54:47 GMT
Finnegan Yang Avatar

Two students chattered away amidst the screams and cheers around them.

"Coach is really going all in," the one with short spiky hair commented as Bawang growled and thrashed.

"Yeah... who is this guy?"

"I don't know, but he's good!"

Magical Leaves burst into the air like a Beedrill swarm and as if Finn's face was a honey pot. Rainbow blades shredded the air in a cyclone around Finn, forcing him to bring one hand to his eyes. Thankfully, Reverb didn't enchant the leaves to hurt, just annoy, but the little cuts that grazed Finn's skin still stung. Bawang, however, roared in pain as the Magical Leaves scratched against his scales. Jets of blue flame - little Dragon Rages - whooshed from his nostrils, burning off some smatterings of leaves, but the grass-type attack manoeuvred around them like little ninjas.

Finn, Ran and Bawang were so thoroughly trapped by the Magical Leaf that they only realised something was amiss when they heard the crowd's screams swell. Finn's eyes narrowed, looking beyond the dazzling leaves. Isaac had made his way up Bawang's back!

The swordsman burned - and he found stillness in that heat. Any idiot could burn a forest down but it took a true fighter to channel that flame.

Finn thought.

He didn't want to injure Isaac. He also didn't want to jeopardise Bawang, whose body they were fighting on. He had to get Isaac off with as little damage as possible.

"Bawang, make it rain. Ran, scream at them."

Bawang roared, scaring the sky itself into releasing its waters over them, sending rain cascading down his scales. Finn hooked himself around Bawang's trident horn. But more importantly, he covered his ears.

Ran let his lungs loose in a terrible, primal Screech. Finn blocked out his ears tight, and his grip on his wet crown grew tighter.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Mar 23, 2023 1:12:08 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Holy crap, that actually worked," Isaac muttered as he grabbed onto the Gyarados' tail. Reverb may have been the younger of Isaac's two Ralts, but he was already shaping up to be a powerhouse. Echo must have trained his . . . son? Brother? Protégé? Whatever their bond was, it was working. "You're getting a milkshake tonight, no doubt."[break][break]

Reverb clapped giddily, but before he could pre-emptively celebrate a drop of rain hit him right in the bowlcut. Bawang roared like a kaiju, and the skies moved at his command. Before long, the bright, sunny afternoon had turned into a torrential downpour. On the sidelines, Kurze the Bisharp pulled his mantle up to keep the rust away. Regulus the Ceruledge's pale flame burned defiantly, stopping any rain from marring his armor. Hyacinth the Lurantis, who had been very much enjoying the sun, let out a hiss before scrambling for the nearest ceiling. Only Gram the Doublade remained undeterred, bobbing up and down as she cheered her fellow haunted sword on.[break][break]

The peanut gallery weren't the only ones suffering. If anything, they had it easy compared to what Isaac's actual fighting force had to do.[break][break]

Rain slicked down Bawang's back. As a water type, his naturally-hydrodynamic scales pushed the water down in great deluges. At this rate, any attempt at climbing Bawang would surely lead to Isaac falling. He held the King's Shield above his head, trying to hold the water at bay best he could, but there was still plenty of water rolling down Bawang's back. Isaac could already feel his grip starting to slip.[break][break]

Sensing Isaac's distress, Reverb used Psychic power to press him tightly against the Gyarados. Now he could resume scaling, effectively belayed by telekinetic force to stop him from slipping.[break][break]

It was just a shame that Ran had something to say about that. He ripped out a primal Screech, and with it all hell threatened to break loose. Isaac flinched, but forced himself not to cover his ears. Letting go now would leave him hurtling to the ground, and not even Reverb's backup could save him. At the same time, trying to move, breathe, or even think under the force of the screech was agonizing.[break][break]

Luck & Pluck, noticing this, decided to tap into his strongest ability; having fingers made of cloth. He twirled his tassels up tight and jammed them into Isaac's ears, blotting out the sound of the Screech. Reverb, following suit, shoved his own nubby hands underneath his bowlcut.[break][break]

Isaac looked ridiculous. A ghostly shield was floating over his head like an umbrella. An aura of psychic energy surrounded his lower body like a tether. A sword was straddling his back and shoving its freaking fingers in his ears. But you know what else he looked like? A winner in the making. Bit by bit, Isaac made his way up Bawang's neck. The head was imminent, where he was sure to have his final showdown with his mentor to be.[break][break]

"Ready or not, here I come!"

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]