Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
The Beginning of the End [M]
POSTED ON May 22, 2023 0:05:20 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]A towering, imposing door.[break][break]

A cold, steel room.[break][break]

Pressure the likes of which Isaac had never experienced before and would never experience since.[break][break]

This wasn't the first time Isaac had been in this situation. However, something felt different.[break][break]

Of course it did. Rocket felt different. Isaac had been with the organization for a year now, and the change in atmosphere pre and post Littleroot was palpable. Gone were the attempts at filling the holes the League left behind and rehabilitating Rocket's image. Now they called for open war. Gone was the long, slow cold war waged in the region's shadows. Now they fought in the cities, in the wilds, and even across the bounds between dimensions.[break][break]

Gone was the Rocket where a figure like Isaac could prove useful. Now he was a liability waiting to happen, a ticking time bomb, a man whose loyalty and morality wrestled with each other far too frequently for Rocket's liking. The tightrope he walked, shrinking by the day, was now thin enough to slice through his feet like razor wire.[break][break]

Isaac should have expected this day would come. He should have known that as everyone he knew either got out or got worse, they'd want to know where he fell along that line. He should have known that as a relic of a bygone era, something was going to have to give.[break][break]

And he should have known that, in an organization like Rocket, they wouldn't be asking. They'd be telling.[break][break]

Nevertheless, what else could Isaac do but come when he was called?

[break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON May 25, 2023 18:30:05 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Cillian had been fond of .
[break][break]
He'd been fond of , too. Of .
[break][break]
On his left arm, covering faded scars, a geometric design in ink suggests a man who recognizes patterns. Isaac was a pattern he could no longer ignore.
[break][break]
When Isaac enters the frigid room, he'd notice the lack of comfortable seating. Indeed, apart from the chair in which Cillian reclines, there is only the one bolted to the floor above the drain.
[break][break]
Isaac is not greeted with a smile or a nod but the cold, unflinching gaze of a Rocket underboss whose patience has been spread too thin. No order is given to sit; the demand is implied, expected.
[break][break]
He starts, as he always does, with a question.
[break][break]
"Do you know why you're here?"

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 DOUBT

[attr="class","pkmn"][break]

[newclass=.twtgm] --accent: #765d75; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm] width: 420px; margin: 0 auto; color: #aaa; font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .main] padding: 40px; background: #272727;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm b] color: var(--accent); font-size: 12px; font-family: arial; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: var(--accent); letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 11px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag a] font: 12px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 20px 10px 20px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; height: auto; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes h1] font: 16px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: var(--accent); text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .pkmn] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: var(--accent); padding: 5px; width: 410px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .pkmn img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON May 26, 2023 1:58:55 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]To the uninitiated, Cil's room would look the same as it always did. Cold, steel walls. Spartan, uncomfortable furniture. The pressure of the depths squeezing against the walls. A scowling man, expression betraying nothing, presiding over the whole thing. But only people who really did their homework on Cil would have picked up the single detail that turned this mess from bad to worse.[break][break]

Cil wasn't much of an interior decorator.[break][break]

Something told Isaac that the missing chair wasn't a sudden conversion to the ways of Marie Kondo. No, no, it was a way of ensuring that Isaac only had one place to sit for their little meeting. And what an honor! Isaac got to take Cil's favorite chair today. The chair where the magic happened, and the drain made sure not a trace of it left this room.[break][break]

Would it see use today? Or would the threat of its existence suffice?[break][break]

Isaac sat down in the chair, thankful that no shackles followed. Then again, Isaac knew Cil. Cil knew Isaac knew him. And they both knew that, if Isaac took advantage of the lack of shackles to make a break for it, things would only get worse from here.[break][break]

If Isaac pleaded guilty for his defiance, then Cil's next question would surely be A) "then why are you doing it?" followed by B) stab time. If he pleaded ignorant, then he'd probably be accused of feigning ignorance and promptly stabbed. Cil's question was to rub Isaac's nose in his misdeeds like a pup who pissed the carpet. And that took a level of contrition that, frankly, Isaac couldn't bring to bear.[break][break]

Instead, he'd simply need to fall back on the Isaac Merlo standby. Half-truths.[break][break]

"I'm here because times've changed and I haven't." Was that a condemnation of Rocket? Or a highlight of his own failings? There was genuine attempt at addressing the latter, even as he spoke out of both sides of his mouth. "And as we move towards war, my way's gone from a help to a problem."

[break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON May 26, 2023 18:29:34 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Much like Cillian had not dared to defy , the presence of the underboss alone was enough to keep Isaac pinned. Once, Cillian might've taken that as a sign that there was hope. Now, suspicion digs its claws in deep.[break][break]

He knows better, that insidious voice whispers. He knows what will happen if he defies me openly.[break][break]

"Not as foolish as you pretend to be, then." Coldness coils serpentine in an ordinarily pleasant voice. "Yet still foolish enough to dodge my question."[break][break]

I know you, .[break][break]

"Did you think us blind to your insubordination?"[break][break]

Contempt curls the edge of the accusation. Had Isaac thought him a fool, one whose trust could be taken advantage of?

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 DOUBT

[newclass=.twtgm] width: 420px; margin: 0 auto; color: #aaa; font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm b] color: var(--accent); font-size: 12px; font-family: arial; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: var(--accent); letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 11px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .tag a] font: 12px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 20px 10px 20px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; height: auto; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes h1] font: 16px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: var(--accent); text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .notes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twtgm .pkmn] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: var(--accent); padding: 5px; width: 410px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON May 27, 2023 3:48:15 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]In any other circumstance, Isaac would have politely reminded Cil that his foolishness was au naturale. In this current circumstance, Isaac wisely decided to steer clear. Both Cil's patience and his blood supply were limited resources, and every second he spent in this room put both in jeopardy.[break][break]

That was why Cil wanted to cut to the chase so badly. It was one of the few things the two could agree on today.[break][break]

"I think there's something to say for keeping your friends close and your enemies closer," Isaac said. "And that building trust and bonds with the people of Hoenn not only keeps us safe, but also keeps us in the know. And if getting that edge takes helping civilians from time to time, or even the League? It still helps Rocket more."[break][break]

"Is it insubordination if I'm doing what had been working for us since I joined? The work that left the League scrambling to improve the region just so we'd stop making them look bad. The same work that gave us such a strong foothold in Pacifidlog." The same work, Isaac implicitly hoped to remind Cil, that he'd once championed while Walsh had ignored.[break][break]

"I get it. The stuff I'm good at's not as important to the mission anymore. And the stuff that matters is stuff I've never had the guts for. But that doesn't mean I'm not trying my best out there."

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON May 29, 2023 1:24:37 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Isaac's words seem to only incense Cillian further. The anger of the underboss is a quiet, cold thing, felt mostly in the sharpness of his sunlit stare and the keen edge of a voice that is never raised but to command.[break][break]

"It is one thing to cooperate with the League in a time of peace." Cillian had done so himself, once, though he'd never held the fondness for them that soft-hearted fools like Merlo seemed to. "It is quite another to do so in a time of war, when we have nothing to gain from your fraternizing."[break][break]

Fury flashes like lightning in his eyes as Isaac challenges his choice of words. Insolence.[break][break]

He does not feel the need to rebuke with words. One look is enough. He does, however, issue a different warning.[break][break]

"I would not play stupid with me."[break][break]

The Sylveon in Cillian's lap watches Isaac with a smug grin.[break][break]

"How many traitors have you met with? Answer carefully."[break][break]

He clicks his tongue, and a Klefki detaches from his belt with a jingle.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 DOUBT

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON May 29, 2023 23:13:05 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]This should have been the hardest question for Isaac to face. He was surrounded by the overwhelming pressure of both Cil's sub and Cil's gaze. The man's clear lack of patience was on full display, each word a more pointed barb than the last. A Klefki detaching from his belt was practically a silent threat in its own right, daring Isaac to say the wrong thing.[break][break]

Why, then, did Isaac find himself meeting Cil's eyes so confidently?[break][break]

Maybe it was because he was already at the end of the line. There was nothing he could do to make this situation worse. Cil already had his suspicions, and he was looking for any excuse to start acting on them. If Isaac said the truth, he was fucked. If Isaac said a lie, he was fucked. If Isaac said nothing, he was fucked. So if he was fucked no matter what, why not face it with his head held high?[break][break]

"I've gone out of my way to meet two," Isaac said. " is a gym leader. Even among our ranks, the gym challenge is one of the best tests of ability and training opportunities that we have access to. She's also someone who, if she felt threatened, could jeopardize many of our identities. By being on good terms with her, I'm preparing myself against the League's biggest threats and protecting myself at the same time."[break][break]

"The other is . And up until he betrayed , he was pardoned." Another, unspoken reminder followed Isaac's pointed word choice. This was Cil's pardon. This was Cil's decision. None of this could be held against Isaac. "Due to our shared ties to Zev, it was important that the two of us were on good terms."[break][break]

"Outside of this, all of my encounters have been on the battlefield." had not been a traitor when they last met. had been his opponent, their only ceasefire over ' safety. was on both sides of that equation, a friend before and a foe after.[break][break]

With his head held high, and his eye contact unbreaking, Isaac managed to avoid telling a single lie.

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2023 22:39:28 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Cillian doesn't believe a word of it.[break][break]

Yet without concrete proof, the line he walked was precariously thin. Should he torture the boy and be proven wrong, it could prove just as disastrous as if he chose to accept 's version of events.[break][break]

His lips purse, the displeasure clear in his eyes.[break][break]

"You understand that traitors are kill-on-sight, yes?" was the current exception; had dealt with her, and seemed confident she wouldn't talk. She'd never held a position in Rocket important enough to risk their agents taking her down. But the others? "Soft-hearted as you are, could you stand by and watch as we took care of them?"[break][break]

It was hard for Cillian, at times. He could hardly imagine how difficult it would be for Isaac... and in light of recent events, he doesn't try. He hardens himself against empathy.[break][break]

"Could you carry out that gruesome task yourself, if ordered?"

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 DOUBT

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2023 4:03:29 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"I do."[break][break]

Isaac's view on Rocket may have been . . . changed, in light of these recent events. However, he was never under any delusion that they were the good guys here. Up against a worse evil? Yes. The necessary blood spilled before the healing could begin? Yes. The only option many people could count on to survive after being abandoned? Yes. But good? Never. Nice? Absolutely not.[break][break]

He knew how they felt about traitors. He knew it all too well. His best friend, , never had a chance to rediscover a normal life due to the scars from his departure. , who was increasingly becoming a rock and an inspiration in his eyes, would always have the shadow of his past sins haunting him. He knew that , who had been on top of the world for brief, precious moments, sank right back to her nervous ways shortly after moving into her new gym. He knew that , despite the most gracious exit letter ever, was met with a death sentence.[break][break]

From all of them, Isaac knew what happened to traitors. They fall back in line, or they die. And the former was a grace offered to precious few.[break][break]

Cil asked if Isaac could stand by as Rocket did what he knew they'd do. Frankly, that was all Isaac had done. He never had the guts to stand up to Rocket in their darker, crueler moments. Maybe it was because he knew, if he did, he'd be dead and Rocket would have their way anyway. Maybe it was because, deep down, he was too cowardly to even try.[break][break]

No, this had been Isaac's status quo for as long as he was in Rocket. What would make it any different in this case? "If I didn't, I'd be dead," Isaac said, voice matter of fact. "That wouldn't do any of us any good."[break][break]

It had been an easy question, albeit one painful and heavy with loathing. Cil's follow up question was far less so.[break][break]

To be blunt, Isaac had gotten lucky. Rocket identified his aversion with such gruesome work, instead putting him on most any other type of job. Despite having been with the organization for a year, he'd never been put in a position where he needed to take a life. Judging by Cil's question, and the current situation he was in, that protection was about to expire.[break][break]

"A killer instinct's never been my strong suit," Isaac offered. "Hunting down traitors is important work. I wouldn't want to flinch at the wrong time and jeopardize it when there are so many better suited for it."[break][break]

He knew any answer but an enthusiastic yes would be the wrong answer. However, when his only options were an outright lie or the pragmatic truth, he knew Cil would prefer the latter.[break][break]

He just hoped that preference would make a difference in the pain to follow.

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2023 9:52:43 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

"Wouldn't it?"[break][break]

Cillian's voice is cold, edged sharp with displeasure.[break][break]

He'd thought Isaac was worth saving, once. But after the recent betrayal of agents like and , he sees the boy as a liability.[break][break]

"Perhaps you'd be of more use to us dead."[break][break]

Dead men couldn't turn their cloaks, couldn't turn their back on family. There is a dangerous glint in the eyes of the underboss that suggests he might be serious in that sinister thought spoken aloud.[break][break]

"You are dodging my question yet again, Merlo. I didn't ask for your opinion." He steps closer to Isaac, looking down at him. The serpentine smoke of his SHADOW MIASMA curls around him as it always does. "I asked if you'd follow orders."[break][break]

He strikes, viper-quick, a sharp blow across the jaw.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 DOUBT

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2023 0:07:20 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Cil's words were a threat. His posture was even moreso. Every bit of combat training he'd received from told him to do something, anything. Throw up his guard. Throw a counterpunch. Grab the wrist and sweep the leg. He could feel his hands twitch as every instinct in his body screamed to be heard.[break][break]

Yet in the face of Cil's threat, Isaac knew there was no sense in making this go from bad to worse.[break][break]

It didn't matter. Cil's strike was so quick that Isaac couldn't have reacted to it if he wanted to. The most he could do was try and roll with the punch best he could as pain exploded through his jaw. He could hear a slight crack as the blow landed, feeling a lingering tenderness even after all was said and done.[break][break]

It wasn't just a blow. It was a promise. If he said the wrong thing, this would only be the beginning of the pain he'd feel.[break][break]

"I will." This wasn't like Cil's other questions. There was no room for interpretation. There was no room for explanation. There was no room for honesty. There was only room for two options; obedience, or death.[break][break]

Maybe, just maybe, this would be where his interrogation ended.

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2023 5:43:12 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

He'd pulled his punch with . He doesn't grant Isaac that same mercy. Bone fractures with the same ease as familial ties once had.[break][break]

If he could turn on his own brother, who was Isaac but a nuisance?[break][break]

The boy hopes compliance will bring mercy, but they are far beyond that point now.[break][break]

"Get up."[break][break]

Though Cillian steps back from Isaac as he speaks, such space is neither freedom nor relief. For when the thick steel door of the underbosses office swings open again, its frame silhouettes a man whose fate has already been decided.[break][break]

Maybe knows him. Maybe he doesn't. That doesn't matter to Rocket. It doesn't matter to Cil.[break][break]

The jaws of a steel trap swing shut behind the victim as he's shoved inside by the men who'd delivered him to his final meeting. Bound hands can't break his fall as he crashes to his knees. Though he can't speak for the gag in his mouth, wide and worried eyes shift between the two men. Understanding comes quick enough to anyone who knows the reputation of men like Cillian Quinn.[break][break]

He can't speak, but he pleads with Isaac through eyes that shine with tears.[break][break]

Cillian had been in this position, once. should've killed him. He's lucky to be alive. But has no such power to grant pardon, and the well of Cillian's mercy has run dry.[break][break]

"Kill him," comes the order. History repeats itself, and so Cillian echoes, "Or I'll kill you."

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 DOUBT

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2023 13:49:50 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]No.[break][break]

No, no, no, no, no.[break][break]

This wasn't happening. This couldn't be happening.[break][break]

But why should he have thought any different? had to kill his best friend to cement his own loyalty, and he was in way less hot water than Isaac had been. Other Rockets had to kill just to be initiated. The role of Beast was a title held in honor by Rocket precisely for this reason.[break][break]

The machine had always been lubricated in blood. Isaac was just privileged enough to have never paid his own tithe.[break][break]

His heart pounded hard enough to crack his ribs. His stomach churned hard enough to make his knees quiver. His breaths became short and shallow. Every neuron in his brain screamed for him to escape. Every microfracture in his jawbone reminded him what would happen if he tried.[break][break]

"Who is he?" Isaac asked. His voice was distant, dreamlike, not even realizing that his words slipped out in his terror.[break][break]

He wished there was a way out of this for either of them. He really did. But the man was bound, gagged, beyond helpless. If Isaac refused, Cil would simply kill him instead. Then, as he bled out, he'd slaughter their hapless victim just to hammer the point home.[break][break]

No. If Isaac wanted to stop this, he'd lost his chance a year ago.[break][break]

"If we're doing this," Isaac said, trying to find his strength. "We're doing this my way." With deathly pale skin and a wavering eye, he looked less like he was making a final stand and more like he was trying his hardest not to vomit. His squared shoulders and head held high were blatantly artificial, a puppet yanked into position on uncomfortably-taut strings. Even his words were less a demand and more a desperate plea.[break][break]

Out came a Pokemon. Isaac had no interest in foisting his burden onto one of them. However, he did want to make this as humane and painless as a criminal execution could possibly be. His Amoongus, Adrenaline, sat passively and observantly by his side. If Cil barred her from acting, Isaac wouldn't have a choice. However, she would remain on standby, the Clear Smog idly drifting from her tip making Cil's office look even dingier and more hostile than usual.[break][break]

"Do you have a weapon?" The horrific thought that the absence of such a tool was the point briefly crossed Isaac's mind. But even with the rift tearing open between them, Isaac reserved the faintest bit of hope. There was no way Cil could be that cruel.[break][break]

Right?

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2023 14:28:39 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twtgm"]
[attr="class","main"]

Do you really want to know?[break][break]

Cillian swallows the cautionary response. He would not afford Isaac the mercy of reconsideration. He had asked, and so he would get his answer.[break][break]

"A traitor." Cillian's sharp gaze cuts across the quivering man without seeing him. "He was caught leaking information to the League."[break][break]

Whether or not Cillian was telling the truth was impossible to discern. Similarly, the gag in the kneeling man's mouth muffles whatever he might've said in reply. There was only the word of an underboss. The only word that mattered.[break][break]

So when Isaac offers a last act of defiance, pathetic though it was in practice, Cillian shuts him down.[break][break]

"You've had your way far too long, Merlo." His voice is cold, his arms crossed as he leans against the frigid metal of the wall. "Return your Pokémon."[break][break]

Had Isaac asked, rather than told, Cillian might have granted him the mercy of choice. But to survive in Rocket, you had to learn your place.[break][break]

Bitterness surges like a tide in his throat.[break][break]

"Do you think I was given a weapon?"[break][break]

Use your hands had told him, when Cillian had asked for a gun.[break][break]

He doesn't trust Isaac with his firearm. But after a cold beat of silence, he extends the red hilt of a weathered switchblade. A last, withered olive branch between them.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
🔗 DOUBT

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,315 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2023 15:55:49 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
TW: Violence I'm not shying away from because I want you sll to feel as horrible as Isaac does~

[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Each choice Cil made was more pointed than the last.[break][break]

For his wandering eye, he was given a mirror of himself. A man who dared defy Rocket, dared get too close to the League, dared let information slip than he should have. He was equal parts a cautionary tale and a threat, wrapped up in a little bow like the world's worst Christmas gift.[break][break]

For his defiance, he was deprived what little comfort he could give. Isaac opened his mouth to try and protest, but under Cil's withering glare and frigid voice the words died in his mouth. Every word out of his mouth, thoughtlessly born from hatred and terror, just dug him deeper. What was the point in trying anymore?[break][break]

Finally, for his audacity, Isaac was given an ancient, weathered tool. For a second he wondered if it was a joke. Instead of a gun, or even a newer blade, he was given a handle that looked like it had been through a warzone. What was he supposed to do with this? Give someone tetanus?[break][break]

Then, with just the right movement, a pristine blade emerged. And now everything was clear.[break][break]

Months ago, Isaac asked Cil if he'd inflict the same Shadow traumas that nearly broke him onto another. Not only was his answer yes, but he was downright offended by Isaac for asking. Now, passing down an immaculately kept artifact from his own youth, Cil's answer became all the more pertinent. He would reenact his traumas in a heartbeat if they stood a chance at making another stronger, whether they wanted to be or not.[break][break]

In a fucked up way, even as their bond unravelled, he was looking out for Isaac.[break][break]

The blade's immaculately polished surface reflected the room's harsh, clinical lighting. For the first time, Isaac could see himself; cold, clammy, and hollow eyed. He looked, and felt, like he could drop of a heart attack at any minute. Nevertheless, he forced himself to stabilize, pulling his movements into softer, smoother, more natural configurations.[break][break]

He was at the end of the line. It was time.[break][break]

Approaching the downed man, Isaac gently set a knee on his back so that he couldn't try anything. "I'm sorry," he whispered, squeezing his eye shut before smashing an elbow down towards the back of his head.[break][break]

Only air greeted him, a mere inch from the sub's floor. The man had jerked his head to the side at the last second, letting out a series of panicked, muffled grunts. Even bound, even gagged, even knowing his fate was certain, he clung onto every last second of his life.[break][break]

Isaac hated himself all the more for lacking such courage.[break][break]

Nonetheless, he tried again. This time, his blow struck true. However, it didn't have the desired effect. Instead of being out like a light, the man held onto consciousness. He whimpered pitifully, his motions slowed and groggy. Isaac's heart hadn't been in the blow. He didn't know if it ever could be.[break][break]

His eye fell on Cil. He was a man Isaac once looked up to, a distant, hazy hope of a better Rocket. Now, Isaac loathed him. Now, Isaac understood him better than ever. Now, Isaac mourned the man that Rocket broke and killed whose face Cil now wore. Now, Isaac knew that if he didn't leave this hellhole, becoming like him would be the only way to survive.[break][break]

Just as he did with , Isaac let his complex feelings and long-unanswered grudges guide him. His blow struck true.[break][break]

Even if that had gone according to plan, the myth of the clean knockout was simply that. A blow strong enough to leave someone unconscious could fuck them up for life. Fortunately, and oh so very unfortunately, this man didn't have much life left. He wouldn't even be awake enough to feel the worst of it.[break][break]

He'd just spend his last moments terrified, then in pain, then dead. How much difference had Isaac made? It was all the same.[break][break]

With trembling hands and a million apologies trapped in his throat, he flipped the man over to his back. He lifted his knife, every muscle in his body fighting to delay the action. But he knew he had to proceed. His life depended on it. In a single, fatal blow, Isaac stabbed the knife right down onto his chest.[break][break]

It promptly hit a rib, deflecting the blade enough that Isaac had to recoil back. An ugly laceration traced down the man's chest. Breathing rapidly, Isaac counted the space between the ribs, then tried again. No good. This one sank into pure muscle. The man thrashed in an involuntary pain reflex, blood seeping across his shirt. Another try and oh, Arceus, now he was wheezing. Had he hit a lung?[break][break]

Isaac had never taken a life before, and it showed. His efforts at a clean, merciful kill had devolved into a frenzy of increasingly desperate stabs, trying to find the right place to just make this poor man's pain end. Tears stung at his eye. Bile burned at his throat. His trembling hands and hitching breaths only made his job harder.[break][break]

Finally, by some miracle, it all came to an end. Isaac had hit the heart, or a major artery, or made enough mistakes that the man's body couldn't handle it anymore. In a last, shuddering breath, he gave up the ghost, his unconscious body settling into that final limp stillness of death.[break][break]

As he took his final breath, Isaac could swear that his eyes had opened for but one second. As he closed his own, Isaac could see them staring back through the darkness of his mind.[break][break]

Isaac tried to stand, but his own quivering legs and heaving gut betrayed him. He fell to his hands and knees. The sudden shock to his body forced out what he'd been keeping down the whole time, only a quick turn of his head sparing this corpse from any further desecration.[break][break]

A part of him wanted to lay down here forever. It was what he deserved. However, he knew if he did, Cil would see to it that he joined this corpse in a shallow grave. Instead, bracing himself against his knuckles, he forced himself to rise to his feet.[break][break]

Cil was right. This was a transformative experience. After what he had done, Isaac would never be the same. His innocence had died alongside the man at his feet. He had done something unforgivable, and would have to carry that weight for the rest of his life. For Cil, all of these things cemented his loyalty. They were the birth of the man that Rocket knew, feared, and respected today.[break][break]

To Isaac, it cemented what he'd always known but been too afraid to accept.[break][break]

He would never be a true Rocket.

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights