orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
i'll wreck this if i have to; tell me, what good would that do?
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
summit [m]
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2020 8:06:57 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

[attr="class","orion"]

He's never been to the summit of Mt. Pyre before. He's come close a few times, on one job or another, but there's a certain thrum of excitement as he takes the first step onto untraveled ground.

The old couple who protected a shrine at the top of the mountain had reached out to Orion and in the hopes that their Pokemon and presence could ward off what evil spirits might drift from their graves during this fateful time of year. Orion figures he'd been contacted due to his knowledge of ghost-types; he's not sure about Kyle, but as the man's a member of the Elite Four, he has no doubt that their reasoning is sound.

He turns to Kyle as the elderly couple depart along with the sun, the mountain cast in dusky hues of orange and pink.

"Until dawn, huh?" It doesn't seem like a terrible amount of time, considering that they were getting paid to simply ward off a couple ghosts. Little did Orion know that it would be more than just 'a couple'. "Shouldn't be too difficult. I brought my own ghosts along for the ride."

He tosses pokeballs to reveal his spooky arsenal, including an Alolan Marowak who twirls a bone lit with spectral flames that casts an eerie light across the shrine.

"You dealt much with ghosts before?"

notes:
new year, time to die. feel free to bring in the ghosties in your post!

mission

[newclass=.orion] width:300px; text-align: justify; font-size: 11px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.orion b] color: #9e76b1; [/newclass]
[newclass=.orion i] color: #9e76b1; font-style: italic; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
noah faber
cyber buds
2240 height
2240 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
6,374 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
summit [m]
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2020 17:25:07 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"k-kinda. i think i did a similar thing last year at littleroot. lot less creepy than mt. pyre, to be honest."

he is unsure why the new council member is out here doing work unbefitting his position, but then again, him being here is likely the same. he tries to reason out that lykos was a ranger before he turned to a member of the council. kyle was the same, except he was just a run-of-a-mill cadet that just gained connections through odd jobs such as this one.

he kinda blames himself for associating himself with people who knows that he has a lot of free time in his hands to help them.

his hands take hold of a switch he brought for the night. he had initially thought he'd be doing this alone and brought a console with him, thinking he'd need something to entertain himself all the way until dawn. he, however, gets forced interaction instead. the game still runs on his device, though he still has his attention to the new council member.

"besides, i have mightyena. they're kinda hopeless, but they're still effective against ghosts."

a mightyena beside him yawns and worms his way in between kyle's arms. the other simply lays flat on the ground, ears alert and eyes on orion.

does he have to be formal with him? the way he speaks suggests no. kyle keeps asking questions in his head on how to approach the situation, seemingly conversing on autopilot and defaulting to his usual way of talking without realizing it.

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
summit [m]
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2020 2:10:17 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

[attr="class","orion"]

"Yeah, it is kind of spooky up here." Orion's not afraid of the dark, or of ghosts, but even he can appreciate the chilling atmosphere at the top of the mountain. "I think it's all the fog."

It certainly limits visibility, if nothing else. Orion squints at the mist and tries to discern if anything's approaching, but he gets nothing apart from a ridiculous look on his face for his efforts. Staying out of sight is what ghosts do best, after all.

Kyle's certainly developed a reputation for owning a lot of dogs; even Orion's aware of it. They'll be useful in fending off the angered spirits, and they're adorable besides. There's something fond in Orion's expression as he notices one of the dogs staring at him. He's always wanted a Mightyena, but he'd had no luck in catching one thus far.

He notices the Switch in Kyle's grasp, tilting his head curiously. He's never been much of a gamer himself, but he's not utterly clueless when it comes to the console, at least.

"What game're you playing?"

He opens his mouth as if to say something else, then suddenly closes it and shudders as a sudden icy, crawling sensation wends down his spine.

"Fucking — g-ghosts!" he hisses through teeth chattering with the chill.

His Litwick is the first to spur itself to action, one of his oldest companions. Its wick flares to life with a purplish flame that coalesces into a shadowy ball and launches toward the offending specter. It turns out to be a Shuppet, the ghostly creature letting out a wail before vanishing into the air.

notes:
new year, time to die

mission

[newclass=.orion] width:300px; text-align: justify; font-size: 11px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
noah faber
cyber buds
2240 height
2240 height
awards
6,374 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
summit [m]
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2020 16:26:37 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"oh." he turns back to the screen of his device and actually starts the game. "shield. i'm grinding for shinies so i can trade them for dogs."

once he starts to get into the game, he gets too absorbed to even lift his head up. what he's doing is mostly braindead repetition of mundane tasks, but it keeps him entertained nonetheless. the game starts and exciting music plays, contrasting the start of the ghost invasion. the sound of panic is recognized, but everything else is mostly ignored.

"oh, right. i was supposed to bring repel for this and i forgot. my bad."

the mightyena in his arms wriggle free and stands his ground between the opposing force and his trainer. the other one stands on all fours and fluffs his fur, riling himself up for a brawl. both of them stare at a far off direction, indicating an incoming horde.

"i can play another game with multiplayer if you want. we're going to be here until dawn, after all. do you want mario kart or smash?"

his voice was too carefree and casual, as if there was no problem abound.

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
summit [m]
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2020 23:28:06 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

[attr="class","orion"]

After a residual shiver to shake off the chill, Orion composes himself enough to return to conversation as if he hadn't been nearly possessed by a ghost.

"That does sound like something you'd do," he admits, amused, because he might not know Kyle personally, but who would be surprised to hear that the 'dog boy' wanted to collect them even in a video game?

"Yeah, I don't carry repel." It's mildly apologetic, though he doesn't feel all that bad. Really, he feels worse for the Pokemon whenever their environment is coated in the stuff. It's not harmful to them, but Orion sees it as the equivalent of someone throwing a stink bomb through his window. "We should be all right between my ghosts and your dogs, though."

The offer of a multiplayer game sounds like a decent way to pass the time until dawn, so he nods.

"Let's go with Kart," he decides. "Never played Smash."

He hasn't played much Mario Kart, either, but he'd been persuaded to go a few rounds with his fellow Rangers before, so he at least know how that game operated, more or less.

His gaze flicks to the horizon, to the fog that obscures the oncoming threat, but just like Kyle, he appears unperturbed.

notes:
something very precious about playing mario kart during a ghost invasion

mission

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
noah faber
cyber buds
2240 height
2240 height
awards
6,374 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
summit [m]
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2020 19:08:58 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"good choice!"

out of the two games, he feels much more comfortable with mario kart. it is less competitive than the two, and if he starts losing, he has an option of blaming it to rng. still, it wasn't like he was bad at the game mechanically speaking.

he switches games and hands a joy con to orion, offering a wry smile and an awkward shrug of his shoulders.

"you seem like a normal person for a member of the council," he points out bluntly. "it's a nice change of pace."

before them was the beginning of the ghost-type onslaught, one of the easier parts of the gauntlet if he was to liken it to last year's experience. a few gastly lead the charge, which was promptly taken care of by his pokemon's super effective moves.

kyle spares them a glance, making a mental note to rotate them out with his other pokemon a few minutes later. he wouldn't want to overwork them, after all.

"er, don't mention that to them though," he stammers, going back to the game. "you get what i mean, right?"

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
summit [m]
POSTED ON Jan 4, 2020 4:02:02 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

[attr="class","orion"]

It takes an embarrassing moment for Orion to figure out which way to hold the joy con, turning the small object around in his hands before he remembers.

Kyle's blunt comment startles a laugh out of him, and then a smile that's almost shy.

"Thanks." It feels like a compliment, at least, and he chooses to take it as one. Normal. Perhaps someone else might be offended by such a bland descriptor, but Orion's appreciative of the acceptance that comes with the word. "I do my best."

He watches the Gastly engage in fruitless combat against Kyle's dogs as the other sets up the game, then glances at him and draws a finger across his lips as if sealing them. It's a playful gesture.

"I get what you mean," he assures him. "They can be very, uh... intense?"

He's not sure if that's the right word, but he lets it stand. Hell, he doesn't even know how to act around them half the time. They make him nervous, and he hopes that feeling will fade with time.

He shrugs his shoulders, watches as his Marowak captivates an approaching Duskull with her fiery dance before taking it down with ease.

"I want people to feel like they can approach me, yknow? They certainly never had any problem with that when I was just a ranger." A hint of amusement colours his tone. "The way some people are, you'd think we caused their problems."

notes:
orion is flattered uwu

mission

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
noah faber
cyber buds
2240 height
2240 height
awards
6,374 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
summit [m]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2020 20:35:03 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"i've heard from other people that i'm kinda intimidating." out of the elite four, he finds his demeanor to be the most bland. he should be, like, relatively tamer than his colleagues comparatively speaking. "it doesn't feel like it though, but i totally feel you with that approachable thing."

the game starts. kyle picks his character while orion chooses his. the track is set and the race starts.

"i hope you're ready to play this for, like, six hours straight."

kyle doesn't have a problem staying up all night with video games in hand. he doesn't know about orion, but his statement wasn't really serious in every regard. they just have to stay up until sunrise, and this was just one way to make sure they don't fall asleep.

the background noise of his dogs fighting the ghosts do coincide well with some of the track's background music at the very least.

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
summit [m]
POSTED ON Jan 7, 2020 2:02:59 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

[attr="class","orion"]

Perhaps 's mention of Kyle when they'd first met had set him up to expect someone approachable, but Orion's surprised to hear that some find the man so intimidating.

"Maybe it's the title?" he guesses. Elite Four were revered across the region, and just like Orion with his new title of Councilman, the position alone could be enough to scare someone off. "You seem pretty relaxed to me, though."

After all, they're sitting and playing video games while watching their Pokemon fight off ghosts. Orion's met rangers more intimidating than this. His boss, for one.

"Beats doing nothing," he says, by way of agreement with the prospect.

Orion's Dhelmise seems to have taken charge of his little band of Pokemon alongside the Marowak, the two of them taking point. Orion glances up every so often to make sure that his team are doing all right, but allots most of his focus to the game. He picks Shy Guy and manages to stay on track for less than a minute before missing a turn and going careening off the edge. His competitive nature, thankfully, does not extend to video games, so he laughs it off as he respawns.

"Was it like this last year?" he wonders aloud, watching his Haunter disappear to avoid a shadowy ball of energy. "You said you did something similar, yeah?"

notes:
~

mission

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
noah faber
cyber buds
2240 height
2240 height
awards
6,374 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
summit [m]
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2020 16:49:27 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
maybe it's that made him think that everyone thinks of himself as unapproachable, something like a high benchmark for trainers seeking the champion spot. at the very least, he's relieved if it's all from noah's image of him.

kyle concentrates on the game, settling his sights only on the switch and away from the fighting. the moment he hears yelps and whimpers would be the only moment he lifts his head up. in the mean time, the game gets most of his attention.

what little is left is spared for his conversation with orion.

"it was much tamer than this! it didn't happen on mt. pyre though. then again, i wasn't really there on the higher up's radar, so they probably assigned higher ranking cadets here last year."

talking while playing the game makes him think maybe he can earn extra money from streaming using his infamy as an elite four member once he decides to retire. if only the position did not give too many perks.

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
summit [m]
POSTED ON Jan 13, 2020 8:56:30 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

[attr="class","orion"]

The sounds of the game and the music of the track counteract the ghostly wails all around them. It's a strange experience, to say the least.

Orion chuckles at the response.

"Yeah, I feel that. Last year I was probably stuck at HQ doing the paperwork for the rangers that actually did the real job." He shakes his head, a little smile curling on his lips at the thought. He'd come a long ways from the awkward desk-jockey he'd started as, hadn't he? "I think they asked me out this year 'cause they knew I liked ghosts."

He winces sympathetically as his Duskull faints and a Pokeball at his hip flashes in response.

"Celeste, take point."

The ghostly anchor, larger than Orion's others, drifts to the front of their disorganized pack.

notes:
~

mission

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
noah faber
cyber buds
2240 height
2240 height
awards
6,374 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
summit [m]
POSTED ON Jan 18, 2020 17:24:58 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
kyle groans at orion's speculation. "ugh. that's probably why they assigned me last year too." although not exactly his strongest pokemon, kyle was well known for keeping a party of mightyena most of the time.

he hears the click of a pokeball and the recall function being used amid the fighting noise, both from the game and the brawl against wild pokemon. eyes wander for a moment, taking a peek at his own pokemon's well-being. grumbling, he takes a hand off the controller to release another mightyena.

"roar."

kyle promptly turns back to his game.

"you won't be doing that to us with your new position though, right?" he asks, humor evident in his tone. "i mean, like, asking the elite four things for trivial reasons." the thing he did during the aurorus ball was one of such things.

he pauses for a while, and then blurts out a statement. "oh yeah, i'm sorry for this."

not a moment later, his mightyena releases a loud, deafening roar. it resonates throughout the area, enough for one to think it would wake up the spirits. it, however, scares off a wave of ghost-types before they get in range for an attack.

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
summit [m]
POSTED ON Jan 19, 2020 20:57:16 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

[attr="class","orion"]

Orion flashes a grin, but shakes his head.

"Not planning on it," he promises, a light laugh half-drowned by the music from the game. "I got enough of that as a ranger to know how it feels. You've only got so much time on your hands and still people want you for everything."

It's calmed down a bit as he's clawed his way up the ranks, earning his recognition through a combination of bravery and what some might call reckless abandon, but he doesn't expect it'll ever stop.

He'd watched as Kyle sent out another one of his dogs, registered the command in his head, but he still cants his head in confusion at the apology.

"Sorry for wh—?"

He breaks off abruptly, wincing as the roar reverberates in his eardrums.

Much as the sound had rattled his hearing, he doesn't look annoyed in the aftermath. He laughs, instead.

"For that, I assume. Arceus, he's got some lungs on him."

It's effective in scaring off several of the ghosts, at least. Orion watches a Chandelure drift backward to be obscured by the fog, considering it a relief. Their line were notorious for their power of allure, and that was the last thing they needed.

notes:
~

mission

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
noah faber
cyber buds
2240 height
2240 height
awards
6,374 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
summit [m]
POSTED ON Jan 21, 2020 17:27:20 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"oh... hehe... right."

kyle laughs nervously. while it was true as a cadet, it certainly wasn't as a member of the elite four. he spends most of his time browsing reddit or reading new chapters of manga he follows instead of doing actual work, but at least he does just as much as either mateo or bailey do so it doesn't look weird.

the nervous laughter continues when he hears orion's response. kyle still doesn't know him enough to recognize if it was genuine or if it was sarcastic. the tone denotes the former, but some people are better at hiding it than others. he wasn't sure if orion was one of those.

"h-hey. at least it's better than making our pokemon fight all night long."

part of him wanted to just so he can tire his mightyena out so they sleep for the entire day, but after hearing one of orion's pokemon faint, he realizes it was sadistic of him if he has other options.

"you say you like ghosts," kyle continues to engage in a conversation while still playing his game, "any other thing we can do to get them out of here without battling?"

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
summit [m]
POSTED ON Jan 22, 2020 17:03:43 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

[attr="class","orion"]

"No, you're totally right," Orion assures him. "Always better to avoid a fight if you can."

Hell, that's sort of what he'd been taught to preach, as a ranger. Most wild Pokemon were just defending their homes, after all. This is quite the exception. Something to do with the spiritual energies during the new year, according to the couple who'd hired him for the job.

Orion's expression scrunches with thought.

"Eh... they're pretty stubborn." There were some exceptions, like Phantump from his experience, but... "Hm, most of them aren't a big fan of bright light. Don't suppose your dogs can bring sunlight?"

He doubts it, but it's worth the ask. Orion pulls out a notepad from his bag, checking the movesets of a few of his lesser-used Pokemon. It's easy to lose track when you've got so many.

"Nothing on my end... lots of fire, but nothing permanent."

notes:
~

mission