thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
lower than i thought we'd go, why'd the guilt spread so slow?
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
vaellus [m]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 17:18:01 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lancepost"]a tourist would opt for the cable car which provides an amazing view of the scenery fit for a social media post. lance is neither a tourist nor does he particularly care about social media, so he decides against riding the cable car.

as someone who's traveled for most of his life, lance is a man of nature. and so he finds himself taking the more adventurous option of hiking up the side of mount chimney. it is also the more demanding option as he's come to learn.

the ash that continuously falls restricts the amount of oxygen in the air, making it difficult to breathe. the heat does little to help as well. the humidity is more than enough for him to do this without a shirt on. despite the tribulations, he sees it as a challenge for him to overcome. and so he hikes.

[newclass=.lancepost]font:10px calibri;[/newclass]
[newclass=.lancepost b]color:#dea02c;font:bold 11px calibri;line-height:12px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

castaway

thea
she/her
twenty-eight
january 1
mistralton, unova
demisexual
battle academy teacher
civillian
kris flynn-edwards
divorced
60 height
60 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
264 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thea
Alethea Ivanova
vaellus [m]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 17:29:04 GMT
Alethea Ivanova Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","kcontain"]
[attr="class","kheaderbig"]

[attr="class","kthread"][attr="class","league"]

Ever since her embarrassing display with @iris, Thea had made it a personal goal of hers to manage a hike once or twice a week. She had grown lazy since arriving in Hoenn, more preoccupied with settling in to worry about personal fitness. But it was time to get back into shape and tackle the task she used to enjoy.[break][break]

It's just a shame Hoenn's climate is so much hotter than in Galar. Either that or she was breaking a sweat much faster - how disappointing.[break][break]

Ash settles in her pale hair and she attempts to brush it away as she continues on her way. Her skin is slick with sweat and she's glowing, but there's a rosiness to her cheeks that suggests she's exhausted.[break][break]

She uses one hand to brace herself as she catches her breath, fishing for her water bottle with the other.

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","notes"]notes: ...

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

[newclass=.kcontain]width:350px;height:auto;border:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
[newclass=.kheaderbig]width:350px;height:215px;overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:hidden;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;overflow:hidden;text-align:left;[/newclass]
[newclass=.team2]width:auto;height:auto;padding:5px;background-color:#212121;opacity:0.9;transition:all .5s;text-align:right;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party]width:30px;filter:grayscale(100%) brightness(50%) contrast(75%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party:hover]filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.active]width:30px;filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.kthread]width:309px;float:top;background-color:#212121;font-family:monospace;font-size:10px;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:-.1px;padding:20px;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.faction b]font-weight:bold;color:#4d72a0;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rocket b]font-weight:bold;color:#716075;[/newclass]
[newclass=.league b]font-weight:bold;color:#dea02c;[/newclass]
[newclass=.tag]padding:4px;background-color:#1a1a1a;font-size:5pt;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.divide]width:auto;height:1px;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.notes]font-size:8px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
vaellus [m]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 17:37:04 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lancepost"]it's always a surprise to run into people on a trail as challenging as this. it's even more surprising that the first person he runs into is someone familiar to him. he spots her a little further up the trail than him and slows down just slightly if only to observe her. but eventually he reaches her side.

"so full of surprises, miss rhodes." 

sweat covers his skin but nowhere near as much as her. he would normally extend a hand but this time he offers a wave.

"mind if i join you?"

[newclass=.lancepost b]color:#dea02c;font:bold 11px calibri;line-height:12px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

castaway

thea
she/her
twenty-eight
january 1
mistralton, unova
demisexual
battle academy teacher
civillian
kris flynn-edwards
divorced
60 height
60 height
awards
264 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thea
Alethea Ivanova
vaellus [m]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 17:42:01 GMT
Alethea Ivanova Avatar
[nospaces]

The heat-induced drumming in her ears prevents her from hearing someone approaching from behind. So when Lance finally approaches and says something, she startles slightly, spilling water down the front of her shirt.[break][break]

"Oh! You surprised me."[break][break]

She's thankful for her pre-existing red cheeks that mask the flush she feels when realizing the man is without a shirt. Fortunately, she opts to maintain eye contact.[break][break]

"If you want to, but I'm not incredibly fast so you might be disappointed."[break][break]

Thea chuckles awkwardly as she pats dry the water spill on her shirt.

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

[newclass=.kcontain]width:350px;height:auto;border:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
[newclass=.kheaderbig]width:350px;height:215px;overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:hidden;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;overflow:hidden;text-align:left;[/newclass]
[newclass=.team2]width:auto;height:auto;padding:5px;background-color:#212121;opacity:0.9;transition:all .5s;text-align:right;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party]width:30px;filter:grayscale(100%) brightness(50%) contrast(75%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party:hover]filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.active]width:30px;filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.kthread]width:309px;float:top;background-color:#212121;font-family:monospace;font-size:10px;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:-.1px;padding:20px;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.tag]padding:4px;background-color:#1a1a1a;font-size:5pt;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.divide]width:auto;height:1px;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
vaellus [m]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 17:51:34 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lancepost"]his eyes stray to the spilled water on her shirt but they don't linger for long. he meets her gaze and greets her with a smile.

"i'm sure i won't be." 

lance swings his backpack over and retrieves a towel from within. extending it over to her, he offers it with a soft chuckle.

"that's my bad. i've been told i move a bit too silently sometimes. a trait i picked up from work, i guess."

close tab

played by

castaway

thea
she/her
twenty-eight
january 1
mistralton, unova
demisexual
battle academy teacher
civillian
kris flynn-edwards
divorced
60 height
60 height
awards
264 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thea
Alethea Ivanova
vaellus [m]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 18:09:51 GMT
Alethea Ivanova Avatar
[nospaces]

Thea's gaze followed Lance's to the stain on her shirt and she finds herself chuckling nervously - something unlike her. In his presence she seems to melt like puddy, all intent to remain poised and perfect evaporated.[break][break]

But he offers her a towel and she takes it even if she doesn't really need it. The sun is more likely to dry her shirt faster than a towel could blot it out. The sentiment is nice, however, and she awkwardly uses the tool given to her to pat herself dry.[break][break]

"A useful trait, I'm sure."[break][break]

She clears her throat, arm extended as the towel dangles between them. [break][break]

"Thank you. For the towel."

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
vaellus [m]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 18:30:54 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lancepost"]the towel doesn't dangle for long before he takes it back. placing it in his backpack, he zips up teh backpack before tissing it back over his shoulder. 

"we're about an hour away from reaching the magma crater. think you can make it that far?" 

lance naturally starts walking, expecting her to follow as their conversation progresses. he peers up at the path ahead. it's rocky, no dobut challenging.

close tab

played by

castaway

thea
she/her
twenty-eight
january 1
mistralton, unova
demisexual
battle academy teacher
civillian
kris flynn-edwards
divorced
60 height
60 height
awards
264 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thea
Alethea Ivanova
vaellus [m]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 18:46:27 GMT
Alethea Ivanova Avatar
[nospaces]

An hour? Oh god.[break][break]

Thea exhales through her mouth, stretching her back, hands pressing against the small of her back as she anticipates the climb. [break][break]

"Yeah, of course."[break][break]

She hadn't actually made it all the way to the crater before, retiring early due to the heat or her screaming hamstrings. [break][break]

But he's already moving on and she's not about to embarrass herself further, so she readjusts her own pack to follow in step behind him.

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
vaellus [m]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 19:10:28 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lancepost"]"of course."

the hour is not what makes the climb challenging but rather how rough the terrain is. it's uneven, broken in some places, and just generally steep. he wouldn't be surprised if there are more obstacles long the way, waiting to reveal themselves. spoiler alert: there are.

"i've never actually climbed this trail before. i haven't had much time to explore the region, sadly."

close tab

played by

castaway

thea
she/her
twenty-eight
january 1
mistralton, unova
demisexual
battle academy teacher
civillian
kris flynn-edwards
divorced
60 height
60 height
awards
264 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thea
Alethea Ivanova
vaellus [m]
POSTED ON Jun 24, 2020 17:19:15 GMT
Alethea Ivanova Avatar
[nospaces]

The majority of their climb is spent in silence - at least on Thea's end. Her focus remains on the task at hand, and speaking requires breath and, while not thin all the way up the mountain, she'd prefer to not grow more light-headed than she already is.[break][break]

She's also otherwise distracted, making sure to place her feet firmly with every step and to not stare at the way Lance's back muscles tense and relax with every step he takes. [break][break]

He makes a comment which prompts her to stop and catch her breath. The woman leans against the craggy edge, fishing for her water bottle.[break][break]

"That's... a shame.." she pauses to sip between words. "Do the rangers keep you that busy?"

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
vaellus [m]
POSTED ON Jun 25, 2020 9:17:30 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lancepost"]her voice is softer when it hits him and that's when he realizes that she had stopped. there's a little part of him that wants to glance at his phone to look at how long it has been since they started, but he refrains himself, knowing that the answer is most likely amusing in a cute way. 

"it's not so much them but rather the jobs they have me do. i help them and the league with the more...challenging missions." lance fishes out a bottle of water from his pack as well and starts taking sips. "it keeps me fairly busy, yeah. it takes me around the region but there's very little sightseeing involved."

lance runs a hand across his face, wiping the sweat off before doing the same through his hair. it's not as challenging as he had thought, but perhaps the distraction helps with that.

"so i'm glad to finally be able to get out like this. more glad that i ran into you as well." 

a stray pebble rolls down from up ahead but he thinks nothing of it. he continues to think as such even when met with the sound of footsteps, heavy in nature. surely it's just another person, right?

close tab

played by

castaway

thea
she/her
twenty-eight
january 1
mistralton, unova
demisexual
battle academy teacher
civillian
kris flynn-edwards
divorced
60 height
60 height
awards
264 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thea
Alethea Ivanova
vaellus [m]
POSTED ON Jun 26, 2020 4:43:56 GMT
Alethea Ivanova Avatar
[nospaces]

With the back of her thumb, Thea wipes away sweat from her cheek. She's taking a moment to catch her breath and stretch out her back. The hike is putting a strain on every muscle in her body and she could really use a sit-down, but admitting weakness in front of someone who almost certainly would laugh at her? Preposterous.[break][break]

And so she opts to focus on sipping her drink and not breathing too heavily, not drawing too much attention to the fact she was absolutely not keeping up the same way he was able to just keep going. Not that he probably didn't already know - but she preferred to remain oblivious to that knowledge.[break][break]

"There's always sightseeing if you're willing to look."[break][break]

She voices her opinion flatly, an instinctive reaction as she slips back into her typical Thea response chain. As if to prove her point, she gestures to the view they have from their current position.[break][break]

"You're missing out on this right this very moment, so eager to reach the top. You'll miss what's right in front of you."[break][break]

Because she's busy looking at the region from her vantage point, she misses Lance's display of hair tousling and muscle-bound flair. [break][break]

Of course, her attention quickly returns, eyebrows raising in surprise at his forward comment. It reminds her of their coffee date. Had that been a date? She hadn't been on a date in years. [break][break]

"Y-yes, it's nice we ran into each other."[break][break]

She clears her throat, masking the sound of the pebble dropping from her end of the conversation. Though she doesn't miss the heavy footsteps that practically made the ground beneath her feet tremble. She's quick to try and catch her balance, keenly aware of how precarious their position is - depending on how close to the edge of the trail they were.

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
vaellus [m]
POSTED ON Jun 26, 2020 8:30:37 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lancepost"]thea gesture out to the view around them but his eyes never move to follow. they stay on her. for as long as her eyes remain on the view, he's allowed moments to appreciate. he finally breaks his gaze when she looks back and takes a sip of his drink before responding.

"trust me when i say that i'm not." 

only now does he take a moment to look out at the view and he has to admit that she has a point. it hadn't occured to him to stop and appreciate what's already around him. perhaps being too focused on the end goal is a habit he had picked up from his experiences.

"but you're right. i guess i can learn to appreciate the little things more." 

from out around the corner comes a large gigalith. it dislodges itself from the side of the path and its landing causes the ground to shake. he looks over but panic is the last thing that hits him. curiosity is the first. he simply looks to see what it'll do as it starts its approach.

close tab

played by

castaway

thea
she/her
twenty-eight
january 1
mistralton, unova
demisexual
battle academy teacher
civillian
kris flynn-edwards
divorced
60 height
60 height
awards
264 posts
part of
TAG WITH @thea
Alethea Ivanova
vaellus [m]
POSTED ON Jun 26, 2020 16:46:19 GMT
Alethea Ivanova Avatar
[nospaces]

Thea pulls herself away from the view to see Lance drinking from his water bottle - she's missed his eyes lingering on her. Even still, she seems aware of something, especially given his slightly ominous response. It leaves a distinctly warm feeling in her chest that she can't shake, and she doesn't respond. She merely watches him in return as he appreciates the view.[break][break]

However, her moment of quiet appreciation and silence is soon dismissed in favor of surprise and fear. She watches as a Gigalith peels itself off of the craggy rock wall. It cracks and breaks, pebbles tumbling off the side of the path. The Pokemon's every movement is a rumble and she feels the pit in her stomach fall away with dread.[break][break]

She manages to compose herself both as a result of Lance's calm reaction and because he is positioned in front of her. But the Pokemon begins to approach and she feels her mouth go dry.[break][break]

"Lance?"

[break][break]
[attr="class,"divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

close tab

played by

noodles

lance
he/him
thirty-one
october 8th
twinleaf
straight
ranger
lilycove captain
334 height
334 height
awards
1,417 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lance
LANCE VOLLANS
vaellus [m]
POSTED ON Jun 26, 2020 17:54:56 GMT
LANCE VOLLANS Avatar
[attr="class","lancepost"]"yeah?" 

he forgets for a moment that perhaps not everyone shares his sense of calmness over the situation. the tone in her voice gives her away and the realization has him rethinking his approach. it makes him tense and he hates it.

"oh. uh, give me a sec." 

the gigalith continues its approach and the rumbling of the ground only grows stronger. the path is stable but narrow and steep which makes it dangerous.

lance stands his ground. surprisingly, he has made no notions to reach for a pokeball. his eyes have been locked on it from the start, observing, understanding, and when it finally hears him, lance simply reaches a hand out to place on one of its red spikes.

"hungry?" 

the guttural grumble gives him an answer. slowly, he reaches for his pack and pulls out a persim berry. he holds it out and moments later the gigalith reaches for it. its large mouth chomps down on the pink-colored berry and it lets out another grumble, this time not as low.

"i don't have much else, friend. i'll see if i can find something at the crater but no promises." 

no promises because it's unlikely he'll find something. but maybe another hiker has something.