awards
3,768 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
hashire [gym]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 18:26:45 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Lars had been through the city so many times, and yet it was only now he formally took notice of the Gym that oversaw this particular city.

While Petalburg wasn’t as large as Rustboro or the other cities in Hoenn, there was enough charm to the place to warrant it viable for a Gym to be erected so close to protect the other smaller towns nearby.

The sheer size of the building had him questioning just how large a Pokémon could fit inside. He was taking a guess that a Pokémon as large as Ro could fit inside comfortably—then again who said he was going for the traditional style of Gym battling?

Once he’d kicked off enough dirt form his boots, he stepped inside and made straight for the reception area. “I’m here for the non-traditional challenge,” was all he said as he completed the sign-up form.

Now, how was this going to go down?

he’s here to get things started!

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
hashire [gym]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 18:50:19 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","witness"]Three lycanrocs, one of each forme, came tumbling into the gym in a small puff of smoke, snarls and growls were not hear, more like playful barking and a few yips. As the smoke cleared, the midnight form was snickering and doubled over in laughter, while the midday looked like it was going to get hit by a car and the dusk's eyes were blood red with rage.

"Would you three behave?!"

Francie's scolding voice could be heard as she entered behind them. The three doggos immediately straightened themselves, though the midnight couldn't hold it's snickers for long.

"Oh!" Francie's eyes fell on the challenger before her and she beamed. "I'm Francie! This is the Petalburg Gym! You've decided for non-traditional, and-- oh, look at him..." the metagross, she stared, then she was back in the conversation. "A-anyway, yes! Right! So, this way to the entrance!"

Francie returned her pups to their capsules and started toward the entrance, drawing a line with her finger over the white line that was already there.

"Very important, so listen close! Once you cross this line, if you cross back over it, you'll have to schedule another challenge. Furthermore! Beyond this point, no damaging type moves maybe be used or you'll be disqualified! Please remember to keep your wits about you and abide by the rules and regulations you signed upon signing up."

With that, she waved her hand for Lars to go first.

"I'll follow your lead!"

- begin rolling!

[newclass=.witness] font-size: 13px; [/newclass] [newclass=.witness b] font: bold 13px roboto; [/newclass] [newclass=.witness h2] margin-top: 20px; text-align:center; [/newclass] [newclass=.witness img] margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,768 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
hashire [gym]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 19:09:33 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The hulking silver beast that stood a short way behind him let out a grating noise, to which Lars looked over where Ro was fixated on. The sight of three canid Pokémon made him wonder for a few moments if he was going to go three on one at once, but of course the young lady that appeared was quick to explain things.

Once the papers were processed and they’d entered the Gym proper, he listened attentively to the rundown of how things would go. The one thing that got his surprise was that the female would follow him—okay, that was unusual in itself.

He could only guess how large the entire place was. Squinting toward the ceiling, he wasn’t surprised to see that the walls extended so far up. Almost as high up as the ceiling?

He then reached behind him—but it was only to pull out a pair of fingerless gloves that he slipped on. These allowed him to hang onto Ro should he ever go way too fast.

“Mind if I ride him as we go through the place?” he asked, before knocking on the metallic body twice. The Metagross took this as a sign, and quickly tucked his legs in before using Magnet Rise to levitate some few feet off the ground. Quickly getting atop Ro’s back, he looked down the path—it was so vast.

Who knew what lay ahead?

He then decided to go straight down this path first. He would figure out the twists and turns later.

shall we begin

0q4hBiVu

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
hashire [gym]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 19:23:02 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","witness"]Metagrosses were huge. Stranger yet was how the guy, uh, what was his name?

A quick check on her phone and suddenly she was feeling super small. Laurence Anderson, the freaking head ranger of Hoenn. Whoops! She should have paid him a bit more respect.

After tucking her device away, she followed him and his metagross and tilted her head back and forth as she watched them make their way down.

"Hey, if that thing goes much faster, you might lose me."

Francie reminded as she followed behind.

"I mean, it's super nifty though. I wonder if I can find something that I can ride, besides Tilly and Nicky."

Her onix and aerodactyl.

- your roll total is 24

[newclass=.witness] font-size: 13px; [/newclass] [newclass=.witness b] font: bold 13px roboto; [/newclass] [newclass=.witness h2] margin-top: 20px; text-align:center; [/newclass] [newclass=.witness img] margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,768 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
hashire [gym]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 19:32:09 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“He’d only go fast if I asked him to,” he mentioned as he turned around to face his companion for a few moments. “Are your canine companions really that rambunctious—“ he trailed off, before one of the walls in front of him—shifted. Wait, what the hell!

Is this place alive?! He thought as the wall began to rumble and shift, before a gigantic slab came crashing down to block off the straight path he was supposed to take.

“Ro, block it! Telekinesis, hold it up!” he yelped, although the command was a bit late as the huge slab was bearing down on them—and fast! A sudden burst of energy from the Metagross shot out in an attempt to hold the wall back before it squashed them like pancakes.

“Arceus, are these walls alive?! he turned to ask her. “Ro, hold it up, back away slowly…” he trailed off as he scoured his memory, looking for another way to go forward. There were several off shoots elsewhere, and he knew he had to find those. One turned left, another turned right, and were some distance back—not too close to the entrance.

“If It helps, you can get on him and join us up here?” he asked, before knocking on the hulking silver beast’s head. “You mind if she rides along?”

A grating noise came from the Metagross, before it eased away and the wall in front of it came down with a crash. Thankfully they were some ways in already. “Okay that was close…”

He waited for her to get on, and once she had, the Metagross turned around before spotting the way.

Left, or right? He thought—before pointing a certain way.

“Left it is.”

yIKES

9xvphLSY

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
hashire [gym]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 20:12:27 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","witness"]Knowing the maze layout meant she knew the trap had been coming. The hardest part about this route of the gym was that she couldn't just 'give it away' with her face. Not very easy for her, as her poker face really sucked.

But somehow, she managed. Usually by pretending she wasn't paying attention. This time around, she had a hand on her pokeball, ready to save the man with her onix if need be. It wouldn't have been the first time she summoned Nicky in a tight spot. But luckily, and as assumed, the ranger was quick on his feet and able to bounce back just as quickly.

When offered, she climbed onto the beast's back and gave the metagross a pat and a kiss. The steel was cold against her lips, but she didn't mind. She kissed rocks most of the time.

"Thank you thank you! For keeping him safe so I can avoid a lawsuit, and for letting me ride along! Very thoughtful. My calves appreciate it."

When heading left, it opened up to a split pathway. Francie was sitting comfortably atop the metagross, humming happily as she watched his ranger work. Very good under pressure.

Well, being head ranger, he would be, wouldn't he?

- new roll total 108

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,768 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
hashire [gym]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 20:34:50 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Thankfully, going left was the better choice in this matter.

As he looked down the stretch, he saw another branching path and knew by instinct that he could go there. Trusting this, he knocked twice on Ro’s metallic head and pointed.

“Turn over there, by the branch,” he said. To his companion, he continued, “Hold on tight, he’s going to go fast!”

Another knock was the signal for the Metagross to use Agility as they shot through the branch-off path, hoping that they didn’t run into anything too insane at that point.

“This is what I meant by going fast!” he called over the whipping wind. He kept his gaze sharp for anything that might come barreling their way, though, just in case that happened.

yIKES

GUnpZK8F

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
hashire [gym]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 20:54:42 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","witness"]"I don't know if--"

But it was late, that agility activated and suddenly she was squealing and grabbing onto the only thing she could, the head ranger. She didn't think much of it, if only because she'd given up her hope of ever thinking that way ever again.

"Okay!"

She squeaked, holding onto Lars before slamming her eyes shut and grunting. She really hoped that the agility would help them dodge the silly excuse for 'booby traps' that would be activated by their motion while crossing through this particular part of the maze.

Nothing dangerous. But they did get littered with confetti, and paint, and other various things, if the metagross wasn't fast enough. Not to mention, the sudden drop into a very dark underground of the maze.

"Phew!" Francie sighed as they had slowed. "Welcome to the underbelly!" She kept her hold on Lars, but only with one hand. "You've got to keep your wits about you! It's totally pitch black in here so, be super careful. You're allowed to use non-damaging moves, your pokemon's ability, or even a match or flashlight, if you have one."

- roll total 109

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,768 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
hashire [gym]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 21:03:22 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

So going at that breakneck speed might have been a mistake. Lars raised one of his arms to shield his face as various bits and pieces of wayward paint chips, confetti, and various other detritus he didn’t come to a stop until the Metagross hovered in place, stubborn.

“What—Ro?” he asked, looking down before finally getting the sense to look up and squinting into the darkness. Okay, wait a second… the maze also stretched even underground?!

“Just how far underground does the maze stretch?” he asked as he groped around in his pockets. Once he’d found what he was looking for, he then shook it a few times, before a click echoed through the space they were in.

While the beam of light wasn’t exactly the best, it did offer a few feet of illumination ahead of them.

Maybe he’d used up his luck earlier with that short cut… oh, how karma loved biting him in the ass.

OTL

qSD39jh8

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
hashire [gym]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 21:23:28 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","witness"]"Not super far, you're not like, stories down if that helps. And! Speaking of, 'if it helps,' going underground means you're close to the finish line."

Francie gave Lars a pat before scooting away. Now that there was a bit of light, she could see far more clearly while being close to Lars and could get her seating better on the metagross beneath her.

"He's a feisty one, huh? Likes a good challenge?"

Leaning down close to where she assumed his eye was, she beamed into the metagross' eye with no fear.

"Me too! We have something in common."

- roll total 162/200

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,768 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
hashire [gym]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 21:41:46 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Shining the flash light above him, he could see the beam fade away into the pitch black—even if she had mentioned that they weren’t too far underground, he was still concerned about the structural integrity.

Thankfully, the place was holding up good so far.

The beast underneath him let out a grating rumble, before moving slowly when he knocked on the Metagross’s head exactly once. Swinging the beam of light back down, the place was rather dark—he was tempted to stand up, however he wasn’t sure if there was water underneath them right now.

He wanted to look down but instead focused on the beam of light that attempted to pierce the darkness.

“Move, but move cautiously,” he urged the Metagross, who gave another grating noise in confirmation before floating along, swinging the beam of light in an attempt to look for the exit.

Hopefully they weren’t going to be stuck too long down here.

pitch darkness

EqbYdcFw

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
hashire [gym]
POSTED ON Jun 23, 2020 23:08:03 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","witness"]Not being able to help the trainers, and just coming along to make sure they got through the maze and didn't get themselves lost... was exhausting. Already she wanted to go home and take a shower.

But her plumbing was dead. Which reminded her, she had called a plumber, but they couldn't be out until the following day. Which meant that she was stuck without a place to sleep, or pee, more importantly.

That brought her to mentally reminding herself to text when this all got said and done to ask if she could stay over at his place. Likely that she would be able to, hopefully she remembered to send the text message.

Instead of interrupting the thought process, Francie just hummed. It was easier than staying silent. Quite little hums that didn't have a real rhyme or reason to them. Something to occupy herself while this head ranger found his way out.

He was pretty much there, just a matter of the lift kicking in and--

"Tada!"

Francie gave an excited clap as they started to ascend, the floor below the metagross lifting them up as the ceiling opened and revealed the main battle arena of the gym.

"Congratulations Laurence Anderson, head ranger!"

Francie slid off of the metagross and started toward the podium that held the stone badge upon it, allowing the podium to scan her retinas to open the display case so she could pluck one off for him.

"You've just completed the maze of Petalburg City Gym! And for such a feat, I reward you with this."

- roll total 223/200